Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#1]
That shit with the cameras and guards is crazy man.  Did you see any helicopters circling the area?

We got on a road and wound up towards groom lake one time and fucking apache type helicopters held a circling pattern above us until we turned around and went back the way we came.  That was fun!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
...and of course the Camo dudes watch you right up on the hillside, sometimes they give the finger if you snap a pic of them, my camera wasn't good enough to zoom in that close..
www.hunt101.com/img/147635.JPG

So that was you taking pictures of me. Photography is prohibited in that area.
You did not see anything....

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#3]
wasnt area 51 a radar test site hence the uber hush hush ness of its existence.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Great thread.  This reminds me of my trips to NV when I lived in Seattle, I'd go every summer and sometimes in the winter.

I went to Area 51 back in 1986 before it became popular.  Back then, you could go all the way to the gate, about 3 miles or so past where the new border and signs are located now.  Back then, the only sensors were ground sensors, I have a pic of one near the road.

I've been to that mine, but a fear of gas (methane?) kept me from going into it very far.

Ever been to Diana's Punchbowl?  How about Faultless?  It's a subsidence crater created by a 1 MT nuclear weapon.  It's located about 30 miles north of Warm Springs, now a ghost town.

My last trip to NV was in 1999.  My son and I climbed Tickaboo Peak, which is the only site open to the public where you can actually see Area 51.  My son was 4 years old at the time and I believe him to be the youngest person on the planet to see A-51 with his own eyes.  He still talks about that trip and the climb up Tickaboo.

Great trip and great thread.

Thanks,

Merlin

Yea, back then you could go to "Freedom Ridge" or "White Sides", Larry King did a show from up there and showed the base live on T.V. back in the early 90's. I've been to Tikaboo once and saw the base but it is 26 miles from Tik and you have to have a clear day and a good telescope to see it. I haven't been to Faultless yet but did go to Delamar ghost town and have pics of that too.....it is a very interesting area out there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ever been to Diana's Punchbowl?  How about Faultless?  It's a subsidence crater created by a 1 MT nuclear weapon.  It's located about 30 miles north of Warm Springs, now a ghost town.
Great trip and great thread.

Thanks,

Merlin

Diannas punch bowl is in Monitor valley and it's a cool thing. The Faultless shot was in the Hot Creek range. We lived at Hot Creek for several years. The shot made a huge depression.
M
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That shit with the cameras and guards is crazy man.  Did you see any helicopters circling the area?

We got on a road and wound up towards groom lake one time and fucking apache type helicopters held a circling pattern above us until we turned around and went back the way we came.  That was fun!!!!!

They don't send the helo's up unless they have to, the Camo Dudes are always on that hill and if they are visible when you show up they soon will be. The main defense they have is the dirt road leading to the base, it is easy to see a vehicle because of the dust trail that the tires kick up, you can see one coming for miles out there, they also have road sensors on the public land out there, lots of people hunt for them, uncover them and take pictures of them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't send the helo's up unless they have to, the Camo Dudes are always on that hill and if they are visible when you show up they soon will be. The main defense they have is the dirt road leading to the base, it is easy to see a vehicle because of the dust trail that the tires kick up, you can see one coming for miles out there, they also have road sensors on the public land out there, lots of people hunt for them, uncover them and take pictures of them.

Road sensors -----------------------damn
Got to go there this year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Read somewhere about a guy who tried to parachute at night into the base itself. He had a steerable foil type chute. He made it to flat ground behind the hills and started walking along the road. Security got to him long before he made it to the base. He did time for that stunt.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#9]
AF pilots aren't allowed anywhere inside "The Box" if they stray into A51 airspace they get grounded and have to be interrogated as to why they did it. It has happened a few times as the "Red Flag" exercises take place right around it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wonder exactly who those guys are...

Think a well-trained sniper could sneak past the road without getting caught?

Any more photos of that area?

( Watch, there will be a few Apaches and Kiowas hovering near my window in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]

KewL pics!  

Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wonder exactly who those guys are...

Think a well-trained sniper could sneak past the road without getting caught?

Any more photos of that area?

( Watch, there will be a few Apaches and Kiowas hovering near my window in a few minutes.

Read there are "scent sensors" planted around Groom. We know there are vibration and camera sensors all over the area, even on BLM land and that's a no-no. They do it anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well a well trained sniper that figured out a way to outwit FLIR might, but last I heard that's a little tough, especially when it is combined with other sensors.

That mine doesn't look all that abandoned, mess with somebodys active claim and that shotgun will just get you into more trouble.

I went into some mines while in high school.  A couple of friends of mine got kinda lost in one.  They also found dynamite with crystalized exudations.  The friend that knew what it was walked the holder out very carefully and then had him carefully toss it over a high ledge from cover.  After that in the Navy and college I learned a little more about gases and confined spaces and saw some mines collpsed by small earthquakes.  And by a firing range you just might be close enough for that arty hit a few miles away to bring the last weak spot down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Great pics WP! I love exploring the desolate areas of NV, AZ, UT.... The West is really the only free space that we can still enjoy exploration without much restriction.

You left a real big one off of your list there man .
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Great pics WP! I love exploring the desolate areas of NV, AZ, UT.... The West is really the only free space that we can still enjoy exploration without much restriction.

The eco and animal rights wackos always try to encroach on our freedoms, but I think we have enough real estate in all three states to keep them at bay for awhile.

Good idea on the 590. Perhaps an H&K Tactical with a can and a light would have been a better first choice to avoid a possible cave-in (still bringing in the 590 of course!).

Be Safe......  

Yea joe, we both had Glocks on us, but I was thinking the only thing I needed to be worried about shooting in there would have been a very large animal, Mountain Lion possibly Bear.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
AF pilots aren't allowed anywhere inside "The Box" if they stray into A51 airspace they get grounded and have to be interrogated as to why they did it. It has happened a few times as the "Red Flag" exercises take place right around it.

Wow, seems like a lot of trouble to go through for an abandoned base. When the DoD abandons bases around here security goes with it.

I'd like to see two or three vans marked "media" go barelling up that road with redundant live video and audio feeds being beamed out to satellite trucks for uplink. If you got one van there would be the other two to capture/transmit the video of what was going on before they could stop them. Let security open fire on a media vehicle on live TV on US soil and see what the outcry is.
That would truly be the straw that broke...yada yada yada.

After the congressional hearings there would be nothing that was left secret including which Generals got handjobs from the alien.
You thought 5 fingers felt good......

Seriously, I think that security is just to keep the honest people honest. I serioulsy doubt they will shoot first and ask questions later for just driving on base.

The US couldn't keep fuckin' terrorists from crashing through security and killing over 200 hundered Marines in Beirut, a goddamn war zone.

What makes you think Area 51 security wouldn't have to call GWB himself before he could even load his rifle to cap a reporter?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
wackenhut runs the security at a51.

If there was such a place, I don't think that WSI has the security contract.
They do have the NTS contract though.
M

No, he is correct, it is Wackenhut, it used to be EG&G. What do you mean "if there was such a place?

I still stand by my statement, check with your insiders.
M
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LoL too cool! I live in Kali and i have always wanted to do that! Cool Sight Seeing!

Where can i get maps to Get to tose places u went to?

The webmaster is a an AR15.com member, there are 2 harmless pop-ups and they have a pretty interesting discussion forum..

www.dreamlandresort.com/main.html

rachel.dreamlandresort.com/rachel/

Great links... gives me a new vacation idea   Anyone know of a place around there or around Boulder CO that I can rent a Jeep, with no major restrictions on milage...   I am not looking to take it rock crawling or anythig like that, but it would be helpful to get to some of the places in CO that I want to visit again..  This time I want to take pics.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Good stuff Wolfpack...Thanks
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top