Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2021 12:49:56 PM EDT
And it broker the lower outer bowl by the hinge.  fuck me.....  Anyone have any idea if that's a piece I can replace or am I just fucked with buying a new one?  Dont really want to drop $1500 on a new one right now.  I loved this smoker....I'm sofa king pissed right now.  no clue how the wind even managed to blow it over since it weighs a ton.    Going to call the BBQ place I bought it from when they open.  I doubt this is covered under warranty.  lol.

I guess I can look at buying a different one but I already have a bunch of Primo accessories.  ugh......

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
BGE and a nest.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BGE and a nest.
View Quote

The thing I like over the BGE is the Primos are oval and easier to put on bigger cuts of meat.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Primo doesn’t sell the replacement bottom?

Should be like 1/2 price. If they don’t cover it under warranty.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Primo doesn’t sell the replacement bottom?

Should be like 1/2 price. If they don’t cover it under warranty.
View Quote

just talked to a guy at the bbq place.  a replacement is $400.  better than $1500.  But the problem is supply right now.  Primo is backlogged big time but he's checking for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The thing I like over the BGE is the Primos are oval and easier to put on bigger cuts of meat.
View Quote

My XL holds a shit ton of big cuts of meat. Love the damn thing. It was a bitch getting it up on the porch though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Time to upgrade to something with some heft to it.

Any smoker worthy of the name is hurricane-rated!
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Time to upgrade to something with some heft to it.

Any smoker worthy of the name is hurricane-rated!
View Quote

I think the problem was it rolled off the edge of the patio.  the brakes must have failed or came off.   it's never moved in the 6 years I have had it so I was a little shocked.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My XL holds a shit ton of big cuts of meat. Love the damn thing. It was a bitch getting it up on the porch though.
View Quote

Interesting.  how much that cost ya?  they did have BGEs in stock at least.  but dont really wanna drop $2-3K on another smoker
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a Primo XL and Kamado...both great grills. BGE clearly has the larger cult following, but at least the Primos are made in the US.

As far as your issue goes, I had pretty good success with warranty replacement of the ceramic firebox on mine previously. Doesn’t hurt to give them a call and ask.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Ended up buying a BGE XL today.   I might try and fix my primo this summer though.   Seem some videos of fixing a ceramic grill so I'll try that.   Or if supply ever comes back I'll buy a new bottom and have another smoker.

But this time,  I wanna build a solid table for this.   Anyone have a good design or plans?   Best wood to use?     Cedar?   Treated?  Regular 2x4 and then stain/seal?

And good accessories for it that I'd need?   I just got a basic setup with the nest and shelves.   And a deflector for smoking.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ended up buying a BGE XL today.   I might try and fix my primo this summer though.   Seem some videos of fixing a ceramic grill so I'll try that.   Or if supply ever comes back I'll buy a new bottom and have another smoker.

But this time,  I wanna build a solid table for this.   Anyone have a good design or plans?   Best wood to use?     Cedar?   Treated?  Regular 2x4 and then stain/seal?

And good accessories for it that I'd need?   I just got a basic setup with the nest and shelves.   And a deflector for smoking.
View Quote

I built mine with stained / sealed oak face on a treated frame.

If I did it again, it would strictly be treated lumber with galvanized steel accent.

I’m going to rebuild it next summer. Strip all the rotten boards off to the frame.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Search around for plans, its easy to do.  I made mine out of basic lumber at HD and stained it.

Get a Flameboss 500 - wifi temp controller.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Primo is out of Beaufort Ga. I went to  the Headquarters when I was down there for work. Good folks. Maybe give them a call. Good company,  great grill.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Primo was bought by Empire Comfort a year or so ago.

Production is now in Missouri.

They have had a slow transition to the new digs.

The old owners were truly phenomenal with warranty work.

Not sure about the new owners.

Though USA > Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I have one, and sold them for years, HTF did that thing blow over?   Hurricane or twister?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Primo is out of Beaufort Ga. I went to  the Headquarters when I was down there for work. Good folks. Maybe give them a call. Good company,  great grill.
View Quote

I emailed them and they told me to contact the dealer i bought it from.   The dealer said they cannot get any parts at all and have had orders still outstanding from June.   Apparently they moved factories last year and completely messed up the supply.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:02:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have one, and sold them for years, HTF did that thing blow over?   Hurricane or twister?
View Quote

I have no clue.   We had nasty winds one night and it must have rolled off the edge of the patio. It landed on the grass but still broke
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/brisket2-177287.jpg

I built mine with stained / sealed oak face on a treated frame.

If I did it again, it would strictly be treated lumber with galvanized steel accent.

I’m going to rebuild it next summer. Strip all the rotten boards off to the frame.
View Quote

I like the galvanized steel idea.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's a pic from our ring after it feel.  It's on the right.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:24:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I have my grill and smoker chained to a cinder block so some jack wagon can't just roll it away easily. I the new condo I just bought apparently one of the kids in the neighborhood is the local druggie and things go missing all the time when he's out of jail.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Id call the company and ask if they can make you whole again... Ive done a lot of dumb shit, and broken a lot of shit in weird ways and have been 100% honest when I call the company, and 99% of the time I get some laughter on the other end, and some small chit chat and end with with replacement parts for the cost of shipping... Do not lie, or make up a story, just tell them the story but be comical about it, and most of the time they will work with ya.... The guy on the phone dont got a nickel into it, and has the power to make it right, be nice, honest and in my personal opinion funny about it, and they will help ya out.... Hell I had a scope on a rifle not only replaced, but upgraded to a scope that was about 150$ more in value for free simply because I was honest, and had the guy laughing his ass of the entire conversation..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#24]
The band on my large primo came loose and the lid fell off when I was cooking with it.

I had the dealer email primo with pictures of the damage and the serial number plate. Primo ended up replacing the entire grill at no cost. There is a delay of a couple of months due to the factory move.

If this one ends up breaking I might go with something different but I really like the results with this. I do like cooking with charcoal and wood.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:52:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have my grill and smoker chained to a cinder block so some jack wagon can't just roll it away easily. I the new condo I just bought apparently one of the kids in the neighborhood is the local druggie and things go missing all the time when he's out of jail.
View Quote

Don't use cinder blocks. they can be broken in 2 with 2-3 hammer hits.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:02:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Id call the company and ask if they can make you whole again... Ive done a lot of dumb shit, and broken a lot of shit in weird ways and have been 100% honest when I call the company, and 99% of the time I get some laughter on the other end, and some small chit chat and end with with replacement parts for the cost of shipping... Do not lie, or make up a story, just tell them the story but be comical about it, and most of the time they will work with ya.... The guy on the phone dont got a nickel into it, and has the power to make it right, be nice, honest and in my personal opinion funny about it, and they will help ya out.... Hell I had a scope on a rifle not only replaced, but upgraded to a scope that was about 150$ more in value for free simply because I was honest, and had the guy laughing his ass of the entire conversation..
View Quote

I'll have to try that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top