BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was gonna mention them. How that company grew to the size it has by making knives so goofy baffles me. Ugly, weird, and almost every one I've ever put my hands on my guttural reaction is to go "ewww". They just don't fit the hand, at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost every Spyderco knife. Ergonomics my ass!

I was gonna mention them. How that company grew to the size it has by making knives so goofy baffles me. Ugly, weird, and almost every one I've ever put my hands on my guttural reaction is to go "ewww". They just don't fit the hand, at all.

They were the first to do 'tactical' folder on a mass scale. And be affordable. Good steel blades. .Assisted opening with the hole so you could do it one handed. Pocket clip. Phenolic material for the body. Went apeshit with the serrated edge. Spyderco was OG.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Occasionally at my side job I'll take one of the trucks from yard A to drop off at yard B or drop off/pick one up from the shop. We have a little bit of everything in the fleet but mostly Kenworth and Freightliner. Freightliners power window switches on the center dash is pretty dumb but I really, really hate Kenworth's AC vents on the drivers side positioned perfectly to blow on your hands. Nothing like a refreshing blast of ice cold AC freezing your hands for hours at a time and there's no way to close them or redirect them to blow somewhere else less annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dashboard and vehicle switches on any International truck. Holy shit, it's like the engineer in charge of cabin design came in one day and said, "This looks like a good place for a switch/button", and left it at that. Nothing is user friendly or intuitive in an international, or a Kenworth, for that matter, but at least Freightliner's finally decided that being able to see the gauges or screens is important for taller drivers.

Occasionally at my side job I'll take one of the trucks from yard A to drop off at yard B or drop off/pick one up from the shop. We have a little bit of everything in the fleet but mostly Kenworth and Freightliner. Freightliners power window switches on the center dash is pretty dumb but I really, really hate Kenworth's AC vents on the drivers side positioned perfectly to blow on your hands. Nothing like a refreshing blast of ice cold AC freezing your hands for hours at a time and there's no way to close them or redirect them to blow somewhere else less annoying.

@Ironhandjohn Your remark reminded me of something.  

Start watching at the 2:27 mark:

TopGear Four-Door Supercars
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Because SAP is a German company.

Germans do not understand the concept of useability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SAP business software.   Totally sucks to use.

someone here once said "if the Germans designed an anvil, it would have 17 parts and require monthly calibration..."
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

incorrect

They understand just fine, they don't care.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Mother fucking fuel filters inside the gas tanks.  Thanks Jeep!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Only a problem if you don't have a long enough extension for the model being serviced
View Quote

Your avatar.  JFC on a pony.  I'll be in my bunk.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, definitely not poorly designed.  Desire to know more intensifies!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Well my mom used to drive a '94 Chrysler Concord so...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The dashboard and vehicle switches on any International truck. Holy shit, it's like the engineer in charge of cabin design came in one day and said, "This looks like a good place for a switch/button", and left it at that. Nothing is user friendly or intuitive in an international, or a Kenworth, for that matter, but at least Freightliner's finally decided that being able to see the gauges or screens is important for taller drivers.

That’s exactly where I stole the line.

“ ‘Ere, dis-a look-a like a good place for-a sweetch!”
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

someone here once said "if the Germans designed an anvil, it would have 17 parts and require monthly calibration..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah, you kinda need that for a 17 sided hammer
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That’s exactly where I stole the line.

“ ‘Ere, dis-a look-a like a good place for-a sweetch!”
View Quote

Perfect.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Just look at anything with a Ford emblem on it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This. Nothing nice to say about the people that came up with and implemented that garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those "zero spill" EPA gas nozzles.
This. Nothing nice to say about the people that came up with and implemented that garbage.

You dissing the Obama nozzle?  Shit.  I done spilled more gas with that POS nozzle than when I shot a 5 gallon gas can and set it on fire...
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had to rescue my daughter from out of a gas station parking lot because the battery in her 2010 Buick Enclave finally crapped out.  I jumped her off and because I didn't have any tools with me, followed her to the Autozone so she could have them change the battery out.

She bought the battery, opened the hood, and the guy goes, "Where's the battery?"  I look - fuse block, no battery.

Turns out, the battery is in a hole in the floor of the passenger compartment behind the passenger seat.  To get to it, you have to put the passenger seat all the way forward, the middle row seat all the way back, and unscrew a carpeted cover plate.  The hole in the floor is just barely big enough to hold the battery, so to take the cable ends loose requires stubby little open-end wrenches and the agility of a monkey.  Because the battery ends flop back in once you get the old battery out, putting the new battery in requires four hands - one to hold the positive cable out of the way, one to hold the negative cable out of the way, and two to hoist the new battery down into the hole in the floor.

Once you do all that, though, the rest of it is a piece of cake.
View Quote

Sounds exactly like my Aston Martin!
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Battery location on Ford Escapes. The average broom handle. Everything Remington has made since 1990. Magpul SL handguards. Every 3 point sling known to man.
View Quote

hey!  I love the SL handguards.  MFT also has a 2 piece a lot like the SL's, I like those too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have heard it called Satan's Accounting Program also.
View Quote
Same here, although really liked SAP once I figured it out.  The syntax is funky, and you need a cheat sheet, beyond that it's quite powerful.

Other shitty designs-
Liner lock knives
Slotted screws
Romex wire (fuck solid wire in tight spaces)
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Toyota covering the oil filter with a skid plate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every try replacing the starter on a E90 bmw? ??
View Quote

Yes.  It's  simple 4-step process

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a reason that there is no German Apple or Samsung
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They had 45 different flavors of tank in WWII.

Meanwhile in the US:  "Make ONE GOOD TANK... and gimme a LOT OF THEM!!"
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
2020 Gladiator. Tag lights shine right into the rear view camera rendering it about  useless at night.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Toyota covering the oil filter with a skid plate.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/274809/canvas_png-1701505.JPG
View Quote

what is that on? Mine has a funnel under the filter which is at the top of the engine and the drain has a plate over the drain which is easy to remove.

Is that on the 3.5?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I needed one that conveyed my feelings on butts and ink. If there were a bowl of chili in the pic it would have been the perfect avatar.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Not one thing in particular but a class of things. Arbors and pergolas are the most pointless structures ever. They don’t protect you from the sun or rain unless you put in some fabric covers and they take up just as much space as a real covered patio. If attached to a house, you can’t use the top as a balcony. They look nice, but that’s about it. Absolutely  useless.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

SAP definitely sucks balls.  A terrible system for accounting, morphed into a terrible system for maintenance, purchasing, HR records, etc.  Painful to learn, painful to use, total POS.  The wasted man hours associated with SAP are probably an all time record.  Plus, implementations of SAP are generally always a one off shit show.  Want to know how to shut down your manufacturing facility?  Implement an SAP upgrade.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have an older micro red dot sight (fastfire maybe?) that has the battery underneath so it has to be removed from its mount to swap out the battery. It's on an old 10/22 that I barely shoot, so the battery usually dies before I shoot it again. So basically I have to change the battery and re-zero the sight every single time I use it.

They probably could have made a battery slot in the side like the SIM pocket on an iPhone with barely any additional effort.
View Quote

Based on your description,  it's a Trijicon.

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#28]
The on-board navigation screen in my Tacoma is set right in the middle of the dash and it's angled straight back and kind of upwards.

Sitting in the driver's seat, I can't see anything but glare in the daytime. Why wouldn't they have aimed it slightly towards the driver, and down so the it wouldn't catch the light, or mounted it in a swivel?

I have never wanted to use Toyota's shitty mapping system, but I do need the device for the back-up camera and to change the radio.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Gun forums that allow filthy commie agitators and run off those that could provide valuable content
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Search function here
View Quote

Mic drop*
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#31]
women

Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The cabin air filter in a Nissan Altima coupe is behind the center console inside an access opening smaller than the filter.

An accessible small filter might get changed reasonably often, and cost less.

View Quote

Sentra is the same way...takes me all of about 15 minutes to change it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gun forums that allow filthy commie agitators and run off those that could provide valuable content
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Spash guards (mud flaps)  on new Dodge Ram that have a pocket the captures and holds about a quart of water and everything else on the road, and pisses it out slowly on the garage floor over the course of days.  YThHRU
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Holy fuck, yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those "zero spill" EPA gas nozzles.

Holy fuck, yes.

These cost more but work better than the old style ones.
http://www.nospill.com/
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

German engineering is generally terrible.

I always have to laugh when "german engineered" is used as a selling point.

Hans...why use 2 parts when you can use 7 to do the same thing worse? Fuckin-A brilliant Karl!

View Quote

German V8 engines are a complex nightmare. That's why after their warranty has expired a German V8 cars value plummets. The German mindset is to over engineer everything with no thought as to the long term consequences.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Chiappa Revolvers
View Quote

That's a lot of complexity to lower the bore axis a tad!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Only a problem if you don't have a long enough extension for the model being serviced
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is the out hole so close to her in hole?

Just use the top all purpose in hole!
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Everything with this on it.

Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Spash guards (mud flaps)  on new Dodge Ram that have a pocket the captures and holds about a quart of water and everything else on the road, and pisses it out slowly on the garage floor over the course of days.  YThHRU
View Quote

Never seen/heard of that, but dang... pockets on mud flaps is definitely going to be a top contender for retarded designs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost every Spyderco knife. Ergonomics my ass!

I try to be form over function but I've had several of the normal standard Spydercos and they're awful. Bumps where fingers go, lock rock on the lockbacks,... Given how many knife people scoff at 'goofy TaCTiLOL stUFF' and lap up ridiculous Spydercos and Busse TEAM GEMINI LIGHT BRIGADES I'm more convinced every day that 90+% of knife nerds wear velcro shoes not for comfort and ease, but because they can't manage shoelaces. You want an ergonomic handle? Buck 110's and the various sizes are ergonomic as fuck. Heavy, maybe lock rock? Sure. Build on that, you fucks.

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Samsung refrigerator ice makers. Stone cold pieces of shit.

After playing fuck fuck games with it for months, I just ended up disabling it and bought a countertop ice maker.

Problem solved...problem staying solved.
View Quote

I bought some ice trays...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

German V8 engines are a complex nightmare. That's why after their warranty has expired a German V8 cars value plummets. The German mindset is to over engineer everything with no thought as to the long term consequences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

German engineering is generally terrible.

I always have to laugh when "german engineered" is used as a selling point.

Hans...why use 2 parts when you can use 7 to do the same thing worse? Fuckin-A brilliant Karl!

So you're saying ze germans invaded the EPA?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Any firearm accessory made by Wheeler....
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#46]
'02 Suburban, have to drop the gas tank to replace the notoriously failure-prone fuel pump.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
'02 Suburban, have to drop the gas tank to replace the notoriously failure-prone fuel pump.
View Quote

Damn it...

(in the market for a used Sub )
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#48]
The galley in the Boeing 747-8F.  The galley in the 747-400F is fine.  Why did they have to make it worse in the-8.

Everything about the doors on Jeep ZJs.  Bronze hinge bushings that wear out. Then the latch gets damaged.  Then the replacement bushings wear out faster because the latch is miss aligned. Then the brittle plastic door card starts breaking because you slam the door every time to get it to close...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:30:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When job-hunting, firms ask you to upload your resume. The good firms (one with IT guys with a brain) have the web-service/software auto-populate the address/work experience/education fields from your uploaded resume.
Other places, with systems designed by monkeys, ask you to upload your resume and then want you to hand-enter all of the fields that are exactly what is contained in the resume. If you want my resume, then why in the f$^$ do I have to input all of the exact data??...and this was for IT firms.

Q: "What will you do in your first year at the company?"
A: "Well, I'll fix your crappy-ass system and fire the guy who designed it, and then all of the people who approved and implemented it."

View Quote

Our election this year.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Frigidaire refrigerator.  

I have custom cabinets in my kitchen.  Frigidare was the ONLY fridge I could find that was short enough to fit in the opening.

Of course, it is taller than listed on the spec sheet, so I had to cut my cabinets anyway.  By then, the old fridge was gone so I just kept it rather than buying a good refigerator.

Anyway, the really great design feature of a Frigidaire refrigerator is that if there is a power interruption, it emits a barely audible ding every minute to let you know that you should turn it back on.  Very thoughtful of them to put some kind of warning device on there like that.  Of course, every other refrigerator is the fucking universe just turns back on when there is power.  This one?  Nope.  OFF.  Off until you open the door and push the reset button for 5 or 10 seconds.    Not a day goes by that I don't think someone needs to be shot, but the guy that designed that actually does need to be shot.  Many times.  Starting at the ankles.
View Quote

Same idiot must have designed the thermostat in my house.  A Power interruption and the furnace isn't turning back on till you do the reset procedure, and no batteries to save any settings.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top