Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/5/2020 10:22:33 PM EDT
So you've recently bought a plate carrier, had one for a while or you’re thinking about buying a plate carrier. You’ve done some research and set it up the best that you can, but some a-hole in GD is telling you that your spotless plate carrier is impractical, heavy and generally retarded. Their only suggestion to you is to “unf**k yourself.”

Unf**ck yourself.

The biggest issue that I see with uninformed plate carrier set-ups are the amount of garbage that people think they need to bring to the party.

Examples of things that will weigh you down, reduce your mobility, etc. :

3 liters of water on your back. Heavy. Hard to sit in a vehicle. Difficult to use with a pack. Not concealable. You don’t need that much water.

Double-stacked magazine pouches.
In my junior days of being an infantry marine I fell victim to this. They’re heavy and bulky. They make it hard to get close to the ground when you prone out. They make vehicle use an obstacle. They make it extremely difficult to climb over walls, up ladders and generally reduce your range of motion when you need to go hands-on with someone.

overly-built magazine pouches with velcro flaps- Designed to secure your magazines before other methods were more popular (kydex, elastic, etc.) There are much lighter, better options.

Too many magazines (yes, this is actually a problem) You can’t put your ammo fort on your chest no matter how much you want to. There are other options for resupply.

A giant rambo knife. Go fixed blade. Go lightweight and streamlined.

A bunch of chem lights: LOL. Unless you have some very specific plans or SOPs for chem lights - which most of us don’t- they don’t make any sense.

Giant dump pouch. I don’t train to retain empty magazines. That’s a discussion for another day.

What do you absolutely need?
-Extra reloads for your rifle/pistol
-Medical supplies
-Knife

Maybes:
-Comms
-Water/food
-Flashlight/headlamp

When setting up your plate carrier, my suggestion would be to keep everything as tight to your body as possible. Find a brand of single panel mag pouches that get the mags as close to the carrier as possible.

In my opinion there should be a practical link between your CCW and your plate carrier. Most of us use plate carriers and rifles as a supplement to our CCW. Unless you know something is going to happen ahead of time, you’ll likely be throwing these on pretty quickly. If I’m grabbing mine from my truck, I’ll have my CCW with me. I, along with a lot of other people use my CCW as my nightstand gun. Because of this, I think it's best that you set up your gear so that it is synergistic.

Plate Carrier:
My current plate carrier is a PIG Brigandine plate carrier from SKD. I use Hesco 4401 Level IV Stand Alone Plates. The front has a PIG BRIG CR, 3 Mag Carrier, a Blue Force Gear TQ holder and Helium Whisper single mag pouch. I currently use a Coyote Tactical Systems IFAK but I am looking for something that is more low profile.

Waist:
My CCW is a Walther PPQ w/ TLR-7, RRT IWB holster and a spare mag in a JM Custom Kydex single IWB mag pouch. I train quite a bit and am comfortable carrying this appendix while wearing my plate carrier, but prefer to switch it to 4 o'clock IWB if I have enough time to do so. I also carry a RMJ Utsidihi fixed blade in my waistband on the support side.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finally, train. I promise you that your gear will change the more you train. You should be able to run, shoot,  fight, do pull-ups or drive a car while wearing your plate carrier. If this is an issue with your gear or body, seek to fix it. Anyways, this is all just my opinion based on my personal experience. I'm open to discussing this and helping anyone who needs help.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
With a plate carrier I generally carry 3 mags on my chest, 1 in my gun. Side arm between 3 and 4 O'clock, med at 5 or 7.  4 mags (been putting 2 in lately and using the other 2 slots as a half ass dump) at 8 O'clock and 1 pistol mag at 10. To me the above is completely loaded with shit bordering on out of control.

My hands down preference is 3 chest, 1 gun, sidearm, med.  1 reload for the pistol

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Is a knife on your kit necessary?
Is a pocket knife fine?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I hike in mine so it’s a heavy bitch with a ton of shit I don’t need. I just don’t don’t know that I want to spend more $$$ on a slim/light level IV carrier.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Damn op, eat a cheeseburger
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Med kit, single rifle and single pistol mag holder, radio pouch. Drop leg mag carrier.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Good thread.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Fail, no beer can storage or twinkie holders.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is a knife on your kit necessary?
Is a pocket knife fine?
View Quote

If you train with edged weapons I would recommend carrying one in a way that makes it easy to get to. I carry mine IWB, not on my carrier. Fixed blades are better than folders when you need them right now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Mostly right. This is GD, so you “NEED” a giant fixed blade front and center, and you also “NEED” at least 3-4 really stupid patches.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With a plate carrier I generally carry 3 mags on my chest, 1 in my gun. Side arm between 3 and 4 O'clock, med at 5 or 7.  4 mags (been putting 2 in lately and using the other 2 slots as a half ass dump) at 8 O'clock and 1 pistol mag at 10. To me the above is completely loaded with shit bordering on out of control.

My hands down preference is 3 chest, 1 gun, sidearm, med.  1 reload for the pistol

View Quote

The difference in the OP's kit is 1 more mag and a knife over yours and that is enough to be bordering out of control?
Serious question.

EDT: forgot to add   tourniquet and the added Kydex for his pistol mag
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you. This is useful. If I ever receive the Crye JPC I have on back order, this will come in handy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

It sounds like the only difference we have is 1 AR magazine?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 207 lbs
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm 207 lbs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 207 lbs

Then the camera angle is flattering
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks very similar to mine. I too hated that a lot of feedback was 'LOL stupid civilian'.

I went with a belt mount Blue force gear micro trauma kit now. It wont pack as many spares of bulky things like izzy bandages or CAT tqs. But it will have the essentials for one person. A spare tq on your pack designed around augmenting this is what I did.

Hydration I just got bit today by. Found out mine shoulder strapped osprey likes to snag my rear plate bag and take its weight. This is on a daeodon light. The 7lb plate that normally feels great with just the carrier wasnt comfortable. I'm going to look into a fastex buckle or G clip solution to hanging it off the back of the PC to let the well fitting PC distribute the 1.5-2L I went with.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#16]

But seriously, OP is right, go light. That shit adds up and sucks energy from you pretty quick when you stop taking selfies in the bathroom mirror like a chick.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Solid advice.

I would disagree with the dump pouch opinion though.

I carry pretty much everything in there but empty mags...

Water bottle.. gloves.. snickers bars... pizzas, whatever..

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
like the jist but i go further same direction and go carrier slick.

my why is that i dont plan to wear the carrier in all scenarios...so the extras that i do need arent tied to it.

i can run edc on belt only. edc plus carrier slick. edc plus carrier with  additional carbine mags in a ranger rack over plates...or edc plus ranger rack no plates at all.
all those options out of a go bag without duplicating items or carrying stuff when it doesnt fit the situation....

i feel plates are only gonna be useful to me when in and out of vehicle or mounting a defensive position. im never hiking in them. theyll stay in the vehicle without any goodies attached..

just thoughts for reasons.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I would asses if I really need a pistol when carrying a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I have shitty AR500 plates.

Was looking hard at some ceramics just now.

Wondering if the 5 pounds total savings will really make that much difference.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer mine slick

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#22]
No double stack mags because makes prone hard?

Only thing I’m laying down is fire

Kidding but ya pretty spot on. I prefer an inner/outer belt with ifak extra rifle and two pistol mags. Plate carrier only has plates and 4 rifle mags.

When I was a young hi speed soldier I loaded down with all the newest gear queer shit I could load onto my vest

Now that I’m older and have a fucked up back and knees I’m a lot more selective about what I will put on it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Good thread, thanks OP!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#24]
It's your funeral
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Whats you opinion on running a chest rig?  My current set up is a slick plate carrier and an estac bore hog.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Water is essential.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
3 mag on the carrier, one in the gun. If you can't solve your problem in 120 rds, you have larger issues to attend to.

loose the fixed blade knife, they serve no purpose other then add weight.

And I ain't giving up my CSM dump pouch for anything... way too many uses that I use it for.

Weight of my PC with 3 loaded mags in 20.8 lbs. If I add a 2 lt bladder on the back that will add a few more pounds.

I can still be pretty mobile with out sucking to much wind...
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would asses if I really need a pistol when carrying a rifle.
View Quote

It's a yes for me.

In tight spaces a pistol can be more practical for room clearing out than a rifle.

If you get into a hands-on situation and your rifle is tied up, you have a pistol.

It's insurance in the unlikely event that my rifle goes down.

I can pass it off to another first responder if need be.

I carry 100% of the time. If I grab my PC and rifle am I going to dump my pistol in my truck?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#29]
No back pack, pack on back?

Where are the MREs and maps/socks/survival gear/candy

ETA- place holder for my pics

Pic time!
Beez Combat Systems minimalist PC, Steel plates. Back pack with food/water and other crap. Admin pouch is a Tactical Taylor I believe. I’ve had this set up for a long time now
Attachment Attached File

Next set of pics are my admin pouch. That’s really the only extra thing on this PC other than mags. Figured I’d show some of the stuff I keep in mine. Some of the pins were my Dads.
Attachment Attached File

Gloves, my lawyers card lol, quick clot, papers with notes, spare parts tin.
Attachment Attached File

I’ve always kept extra masks in here even before Covid. All the smoke/debris in the air after 9/11 made me add those. Good idea to have on hand.
Attachment Attached File

Map/matches and lighter/spare knife/light/pen. All kinds of extra crap in there.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whats you opinion on running a chest rig?  My current set up is a slick plate carrier and an estac bore hog.
View Quote

I love chest rigs. My only gripe with running a plate carrier and a chest rig is that they are sometimes clumsy to throw on in a hurry due to their multiple straps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:34:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Let's start with...what is the best carrier for sub $200 that's actually in stock now and what other crap do I need to get with it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No back pack, pack on back?

Where are the MREs and maps/socks/survival gear/candy

ETA- place holder for my pics
View Quote

In a backpack. Not going to change my socks mid gunfight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Sans plates, hows a GI FLC do for a gear carrier?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Let's start with...what is the best carrier for sub $200 that's actually in stock now and what other crap do I need to get with it?
View Quote

There are several brands that make good stuff. Take a look at Ferro Concepts, SKD Tac and several others. Sign up for their re-stock emails.

-Plates
-IFAK
-Tourniquet holder
-Something to hold a couple of mags. Most companies sell a front "placard" for magazines along with their carriers. I like the SKD PIG because they use the ESSTAC KYWI kydex inserts.

Ferro Concepts and Spiritus Systems sell cummerbunds with elastic pouches built in. These are great for throwing some med gear or mags in. It also keeps it off your chest.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In a backpack. Not going to change my socks mid gunfight.
View Quote

It's your funeral.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would say yes. I have hesco 4401's, same as OP, and I just got some other plates that are multicurve and less than 5lbs each.

The hescos are about 7.1-7.2 lbs each.

So over all the new set saves me 5lbs overall. The multicurve and weight savings was definitely noticeable.

Now, the new spare ones are Chinese plates, but actually feeling/wearing lightweight multicurve plates has me wanting to spend the money on some hesco 3810's.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Water is essential.
View Quote

Yes it is, but not on a plate carrier
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#38]

In general, get out and practice with what you have.

I do have a 3L bladder on mine. It only holds 2 comfortably, but I can do vehicle stuff no problem with it. It goes fast in the Texas summer. Ymmv.

I don’t have a fixed blade. I do have a multitool. I find myself needing to fix stuff, yank optics off, grab something with pliers, etc a lot more often than needing to shank someone.  Again maybe I’m just not that high speed.

I also keep a dump pouch. It holds more than just empty mags, and takes up what would otherwise be dead space at the 6 o’clock on my belt.

Set up a rig, train, hunt, hike, run, whatever you can do it in. It’s dark half the time; half of this should be at night. If you have more than 3 guns and no nods, your priorities are out of whack.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#39]
What's in your med kits?
I have gauze, pads, Quick clot, and band aids. I feel that I'm
lacking.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
3 mag on the carrier, one in the gun. If you can't solve your problem in 120 rds, you have larger issues to attend to.

loose the fixed blade knife, they serve no purpose other then add weight.

And I ain't giving up my CSM dump pouch for anything... way too many uses that I use it for.
https://i.imgur.com/PrkXVwa.jpg

Weight of my PC with 3 loaded mags in 20.8 lbs. If I add a 2 lt bladder on the back that will add a few more pounds.

I can still be pretty mobile with out sucking to much wind...
View Quote

Looks like a great setup! My carrier is 21.4 lbs.

Knives are pretty useful when you need to stab someone though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What's in your med kits?
lacking.
View Quote
I'd add a Tourniquet. x2
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The difference in the OP's kit is 1 more mag and a knife over yours and that is enough to be bordering out of control?
Serious question.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question.

@tidal
@Power2thePeople

For clarity. I was not saying his load. By the above I was referring to mine. Then posted my comfortable preferences.

Sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I switched to the same plates as the OP. It's amazing how a few pounds feels significantly better. I also don't have side plates and my AR500 Testudo setup does. I went ATS for the PC and battle belt and I am happy with it. I used the belt for the Pecos run and Gun and it was perfect for me.

On the OPs dump pouch comment, I disagree. If something goes down, magazines may be more difficult to replace. We don't have big Army with the massive logistics train feeding us mags and ammo at a FOB each night, if the commies get uppity.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

3 liters of water on your back. Heavy. Hard to sit in a vehicle. Difficult to use with a pack. Not concealable. You don’t need that much water.
View Quote

Won't need that bro, only gonna be out an hour.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What's in your med kits?
lacking.
View Quote

-Combat Gauze
-Extra TQ
-Chest seal
-ARS Chest decompression needle

I keep several OLAES bandages in my truck bag. If you're not familiar with those, they're a modular bandage that comes with an "H" style compression bandage, an occlusive dressing which could be used for sealing a chest wound and gauze for packing wounds.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's in your med kits?
lacking.
View Quote

Mine is split into two parts. One is general first aid bs like daily use items. The other is gloves, two rats, quick clot,  z pack, Israeli bandage, self stick type bandage wrap, sheers, tape and a splint folded and pressed flat.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I switched to the same plates as the OP. It's amazing how a few pounds feels significantly better. I also don't have side plates and my AR500 Testudo setup does. I went ATS for the PC and battle belt and I am happy with it. I used the belt for the Pecos run and Gun and it was perfect for me.

On the OPs dump pouch comment, I disagree. If something goes down, magazines may be more difficult to replace. We don't have big Army with the massive logistics train feeding us mags and ammo at a FOB each night, if the commies get uppity.
View Quote

When that time comes, I agree with you. As of now I have so many mags that I can resupply the FOB.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think if you're using a PC you need a stop the bleed course absolute minimum.
View Quote

100%. I'll go further and say that it should be a high school graduation requirement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top