Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2001 6:59:48 AM EDT
I had my sights set on getting a Bushie for my first AR, but I found an Oly Car97 for $599 NIB.  This seems like a good deal, but I don't know anything about Oly's...I've been learning everything I could about BM's and haven't paid any attention to anything about Oly's.  Is there anything I need to know/beware of with them?  Time is kinda short so I'm hoping you guys can give me a heads up if Oly has any serious issues.
Thanks!!
nut
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Try and talk him down another $50.00 - $75.00
If it is in good shape then it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Oly seems to be the redheaded bastard of the industry, with concurrent resale value. You oughta be able to talk him down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Oly section under "Industry forums".
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
If you do buy it, just hope nothing ever goes wrong with it. Oly Arms has one of the worst reputations in the business for customer service.

Yeah, some people buy them and never have a problem, but personally I never would. I've experienced and heard far too much to ever buy an Oly AR.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
And don't forget, Oly's don't have chrome lined barrels, Bushmaster does. I think it would be worth another hundred dollars or so for a Bushmaster. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal on one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info thus far!  Sorry, I should have provided a couple more details....

This really is a CAR, not a Plinker.  It's brand new and the seller is a dealer who I think is trustworthy.

I didn't realize Oly's don't have chrome-lined bbls, but they're not too clear about that on their website.  I could definitly be wrong, but chrome doesn't seem too important for ordinary semi-auto fire???

As far as ammo is concerned...I don't intend to shoot anything Russian or steel cased--- bad news!  Will it be reliable with S&B or the South African ammo?

I did look around this board and saw negative comments on Bushies, Oly's and others.  Everyone has a different experience it seems with any firearm (I have a Les Baer 1911 that I LOVE, but you wouldn't have any trouble finding someone who hated theirs.)

I'm thinking about the LEGP, but I want a rifle now!  I'll wait and see if and when the others get their LEGP's and whether they're happy with them.  Been watching the LEGP thing very closely and it smells.  That said, RRA does build good stuff.

Keep the comments comin'....good, bad, ugly, whatever.  I want to know!

Thanks everyone for being helpful and patient with a [newbie]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
About a year ago I bought my first AR, an simple but new PCR 99 by Olyarms, 16" standard barrel, beautyfully crisp factory trigger, Tweakers 3-9x28 ar15 scope. Is is a pleasure to shoot, often outperforming rifles like the SIG, with <1" groups of 10 at 50 metres as well as performing very nice in Dynamic Service Rifle matches(with Beamshot 1001 lasersight), and my 30-rnd Thermold magazines drop free at the push of the button.
I feed it PMP surplus ('85-'89) SA army rounds, not one misfire, no stuck cases, etc. It cost me the equivalent of $720, which for Dutch pricing is relatively cheap, and I'v enjoyed every shot I, and a lot of friends, fired with it through its non-chromelined barrel, maintaining it once per month.
The money it cost less than Bushmaster etc. I spend/t on accessories like sling, Harris bipod, etc.
In your place I wouldn't hesitate to buy the rifle, but my Dutch merchants mind I'd try to lower the price a bit [:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 1 bushmaster and 4 olympic arms rifles. The bushmaster is a pre ban and all the parts are bushmaster. The olympic arms rifles are just oly lowers. The uppers and internals are from J & T distributing. I built them myself. I can't speak for the complete oly rifle but the only thing I saw different in the oly lowers from the bushy is that the mag well was tighter in the oly's so the mags don't drop free. For me that isn't a problem but some people might not like it. But I enjoy shooting all my rifles and I don't have any trouble out of any of them. I did have a few jams with them but I found out it was from a junk USA mag and not the rifles themselves.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
While we're on the subject, I'm looking for a good ar kit. Anybody have any recomendations as far as dealers, brands, etc?
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I think that OLY barrels made of stainless steele.  The material its self is corrosion resistant and does not need to be chrome lined.  I am not sure if the CAR97 comes with a ss barrell.

G45
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
All I can say is that out of ALL the major AR makers..(Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Olympic, DPMS....) Olympic Arms regularly has by far the most complaints.

Everything from the gun being built like crap, to minor malfunctions, to horror stories regarding customer service. It doesn't cost that much more to avoid that stuff, and so I personally would never go that route again. I had an Oly or two in my time, and I personally thought they were very second rate products next to my other AR's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All I can say is that out of ALL the major AR makers..(Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite, Olympic, DPMS....) Olympic Arms regularly has by far the most complaints.
View Quote

I'd like to know the basis for your bold statement of alledged fact and what methodolgy you used for determing the disposition of the vast statstics I am sure you gathered and sorted through to come to this conclusion.

Link Posted: 5/20/2001 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Beerslayer has a great point.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd like to know the basis for your bold statement of alledged fact and what methodolgy you used for determing the disposition of the vast statstics I am sure you gathered and sorted through to come to this conclusion.

View Quote

Why didn't you bother to quote my entire post? I have owned Oly rifles, I have known MANY people who have as well, and the multitude of complaints they have had. I have heard endless complaints on this board as well as others and I have had personal, face to face encounters at the Oly Arms factory outside of Olympia WA. Everything mentioned above has lead me to post the thoughts that I did, and whether or not you believe me is of no concern to me.

That's all the "methodology" I need, got it?

I didn't tell anyone to not buy from them, I just shared my personal experiences. You obviously own one, huh? Sorry to piss on your pride, get over it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Standard OLY barrels are NOT chrome lined, nor are they stainless. Stainless is a high dollar option. If the barrel has SS stamped on it, then it is stainless.Their barrels are all chrome molly alloy unless specified otherwise on the barrel. The page that has all the details for this is: http://www.olyarms.com/usa.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Think that I'll just get a BM rather than take my chances with Oly.  They might be alright, but I'd hate to be saddled with a rifle that I then had to try to get rid of.

Thanks for your help, everybody!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
go bushie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top