Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2001 2:04:55 AM EDT
I have two laptops, both of which have IR ports, both are Toshiba. I need to move my files from the old one to the new one. I have succeeded in getting the IR ports to talk, but I guess I need software on both sides to be able to do the transfer. Laplink is expensive, as is PCanywhere. Is there any Share/free ware that will do what I need? Is there a better way?
Thanks in advance!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 2:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I'll give a try..
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
If I remember correctly,

Once you get the IR ports talking, you can just use standard Windows File Sharing. I think. It has been awhile since I looked into this.

Yes it is slow, but it is better than a poke in the eye [;)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
All else fails look on ZDNET.COM for some shareware or freeware.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
or just spend the money and break down and network em thats what i had to do with my laptop and my desktop
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for Intellisync.

Both of my Toshiba notes had them pre-installed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#8]

This might help..I'm not sure though, never tried it:
[url]http://www.computerwriter.com/Star/1999_upgrade_series/upgr101-8.htm#alt-direct[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Look for Intellisync.

View Quote

The older of the two has it but the new one doesn't. It's to big to move over by floppies either.
Link Posted: 5/20/2001 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy - the old laptop has Win95 and the new one has 98. 98 has the direct cable network option but the rev of 95 I have does not.

Duffypoo - Both have eithernet in their docking stations. Can I just connect them via their eithernet ports using a crossover cable, or will I need a router or something (my expertise is optical telecom systems, not IT) Both also have PCMCIA eithernet cards, and all ethernet options are 10/100. This has to be the way to go. You wouldn't happen to know which pins get crossed over to make the cable would you??  I have the tools to make cables so all I need is the pinouts.  Of course all the ethernet jacks are RJ48, FWIW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 12:41:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look for Intellisync.

View Quote

The older of the two has it but the new one doesn't. It's to big to move over by floppies either.
View Quote

Infrared it over!  Just kidding.

How many MB is it?  

On Intellisync there should be a command somewhere to backup the Intellisync program on floppy.  Mine took up six disks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#12]
What I'd do is simply purchase a 4 port hub for about 30bux, create a small "network" between the two, set the drives to "share" and simply pull the files over.

No fuss, no muss.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#13]
The crossover cable is by far the cheapest (free in your case) and the fastest.

[url]http://www.gccprinters.com/support/doc/crossover.html[/url]

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
OK - nuckles, THANKS for the pinout!!  I have made the cable and am getting ready to try the LAN card method. Time to learn all about drivers and stuff I guess. I know they're there, but lack experience in setting it up. I'll check back if I have problems.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
hehe knucles beat me to it, i recall seeing that diagram before, i was just going to write it out.  A cross over cable can connect two computers together, if you're gonna do this all the time, or you have broadband connection, you can get a broadband router that has a tiny el cheapo switch built in.  these switches are nothing great, even the fastest switch with the fastest forwarding mode (cut through) introduces propagation delays.  
You should be able to buy one from CompUSA, or you'll need to get a pair of crimpers, two RJ45 jacks and some cable, cheaper to buy it.  I make them for my own network and for client sometimes when they don't have the factory made ones, but I also have two cable testers to test continuity, length, pin out error, etc., it's not the $5000 tester, if I installed cabling for a living I'd get one.
View Quote

Well, by luck, I have a big roll of CAT5, crimpers, RJ45's, strippers, etc..  I work for "a" phone company. Mostly on fiber optic transmission systems, but sometimes these have telemetry circuits that run over T1's. Anyway, the cable is done, and it seems "half way up". The new laptop has a green light constantly and another green flickering from data traffic (attempted traffic).  The old laptop has a constant amber (should be green) and the same data light flicker.  I think I have a configuration problem in the old one. This shouldn't be this hard just running them head to head. What protocols, client, etc. should I be using??
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Well whatdayaknow,,, it WORKS!  Finally got them talking. And the connection is fast!  Now for the fun part. I've already managed to wipe out all the e-mail I received since I started using the new box. Everything since 5/4.  Oh well....
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
BTW, thanks all of you for your help!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm doing this through a linksys. It is very slow. should I be using a crossover cable for it? What do I need to do to speed up the linksys trnasfer?
Scratch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top