Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 8/25/2020 6:27:16 PM EDT
Update 02/21/21: so it looks like things are going to be too shut down for us to cross a minimum of 12 borders. This is of course more than disappointing. So it has been kicked around that maybe we do a fly and ride for a week or so this fall.

The trip however will be happening. It just means we all have another year to be prepared.

It also means anyone who was on the fence has more time to get on board.

The trip is happening short of world war(which is possible

Original thread is here. Thread

Not sure if anyone cares but I guess I could start another thread on Covid

Anyway, here is today’s development...

Attachment Attached File

2007 with 598 miles. Yea, 598.

UPDATE: Current plan to date

Departure: mid October 2021

Route: cross into Mexico maybe in Baja but a good chance it’s Reynosa. Take a few weeks in Mexico because contrary to popular belief of those who have never been it actually kicks ass.

We are talking roadside food, box canyons, high desert, Adobe structures, rainforest, Mayan pyramids, amazing people, and culture.
Attachment Attached File

Then into Belize where we see the Caribbean ocean  and more Mayan treasures lie in wait. The hottest hot sauce I have ever had is in Belize. And it will be the last time we hear English widely spoken for months.
Attachment Attached File

Then into Guatemala where we will visit the famous Tikal! we are getting deep into jungle now. We are talking toucans, parrots and monkeys!
Attachment Attached File

Not enough jungle? Then here is Honduras! Ah’ hell, I’m not going to sugar coat it. It’s a little rough around the edges. Our time here will be measured in days.
Attachment Attached File

Then we hit Nicaragua! Want to sleigh ride down a smoking Volcano? I did and you can too.
Attachment Attached File

Everyone is talking about Costa Rica and you will too! Cloud forest, dense jungle and amazing wildlife. How about a zip line that is 480’ high through the dense rainforest canopy?...I know where one is at!

Panama here we come! We all know of the canal but have you seen it? It changed the world! Sloths, tapir, and parrots!

Next we board a sail boat and head around the Darien Gap while visiting the beautiful San Blas Islands!

Holy cow we are in South America and a fan favorite...Colombia! Historic cities, amazing food and spectacular jungle!

Halfway down the globe? Then you must be in Ecuador! My brother went here when I was a young kid and it ignited my passion for travel. Next year you could be there with me when I fulfill a 35 year old dream.

Not done yet? Let’s head to Peru! Machu Piichu, need I say more? Well then how about and entire mountainous country that also has the pacific running down its entire length.

How about some salt flats? Ok then, Bolivia it is! Always a favorite of riders.

But wait, there is more...Chile! Llamas and chinchillas! You heard of it, now you can see it.

Last but surely not least we hit Argentina! We all know Patagonia is a favorite and we will see it as we head to the end of the civilized world! Penguins and Southern Ocean. Few ever see it!

Then I ship my bike home and fly back to my job and the real world. Will you do the same or will you ride it all again on the way home?!?

Required equipment: A dual sport or ADV bike will make the journey fun and manageable. A cruiser would make for a good time for the rest of us. I am taking a heavily accessorized DR650.

Terrain: Literally everything. Bring your big boy pants and hang on. Mud, gravel, water crossings, sand, pavement, and a sea of empty beer bottle)
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Spread of wuflu part 2
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the locals (not in an urban area) friendly, or are you a mark?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spread of wuflu part 2
View Quote

Just trying to do my part to cure overpopulation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are the locals (not in an urban ares) friendly, or are you a mark?
View Quote

My experience in Mexico and Central America is that they are exceptionally friendly. But that doesn’t mean you can be a total dumb ass.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Sail around the gap or go through?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
<-- Super jelly...

I get to go on an overnighter this Saturday... south central Oregon... Nothing but nothing...

Enjoy the ride!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pppsssshhhh. Only a Harley can't make it through, he will be fine

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Definitely around.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Are you gonna Darien Gap?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spread of wuflu part 2

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have no idea how true that statements going to be.
I’ve climbed through Ecuador and northern Peru.  10 yr olds armed with shotguns set up random tolls to collect money from travelers.  That bikes going to be popular fast.

Good luck

Dibs on canoe .   Can you send canoe specs before you leave?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Interested in the shipping logistics. Is it a pain and expensive or not bad. Something similar is on my list.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Thread title and picture are misleading.

Should read:

"I am driving my motorcycle around on the back of a Bronco in Mexico on a bike rack."
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thread title and picture are misleading.

Should read:

"I am driving my motorcycle around on the back of a Bronco in Mexico on a bike rack."
View Quote

Changed it for you

ETA: And that’s not Mexico, that’s Kentucky.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You have no idea how true that statements going to be.
I’ve climbed through Ecuador and northern Peru.  10 yr olds armed with shotguns set up random tolls to collect money from travelers.  That bikes going to be popular fast.

Good luck

Dibs on canoe .   Can you send canoe specs before you leave?

Thanks
View Quote

People do this literally every day. While it may not be for your average person it’s certainly not a rare thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interested in the shipping logistics. Is it a pain and expensive or not bad. Something similar is on my list.
View Quote

I was going to ship my bike from Oregon to New York area... Arfcommer offered a shop/garage for delivery.
Costs to ship were around $675/$725, maybe next year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/191077/D15C3F0B-9079-4EF8-93FB-E17F5C76EB7C_jpe-1562419.JPG

View Quote

Nice!

Please tell me you got it for under 3k.  I'll be jealous.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/191077/D15C3F0B-9079-4EF8-93FB-E17F5C76EB7C_jpe-1562419.JPG

Nice!

I wish. I can find KLRs under 3000 all day long but I ended up paying 3500 for this one
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Interested to see this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Why you no canoe around South America
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Watch your cornhole bud.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Sooner rather than later it always ends up here

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I wish. I can find KLRs under 3000 all day long but I ended up paying 3500 for this one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

Still a deal
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Still a deal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

Still a deal

Yea. The DRs are just not as common and hold their value way better from what I have seen of the KLRs. The last two low mile KLRs I have bought were $2500.00 each. A $2500 DR is clapped out with serious miles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep us posted!  I have an F700GS that is plotting unadvisable journeys at this very moment....
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Keep us posted!  I have an F700GS that is plotting unadvisable journeys at this very moment....
View Quote

If you squint you can see the DR's big brother in the back.

I am seriously considering doing the BMW off road school maybe later this fall. I would like to push the GSA into a bit tougher stuff with confidence.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice find.
Definitely worth $3500
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Didn't we have another member that was found in a shallow grave in Mexico after attempting something similar?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Didn't we have another member that was found in a shallow grave in Mexico after attempting something similar?
View Quote

“Attempted” makes it sound like it’s a much bigger challenge than it is.

I have already ridden a motorcycle from Virginia to Panama including, of course, Mexico. People do this every day.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t challenging at time both mentally and physically but if you have the right personality it’s just a matter of perseverance.

But truthfully if it was only the challenge it would be pointless. The journeys are amazing. One day on my trip I was in low desert riding with road runners, high desert at 9000ft with mountains soaring, down to low jungle again, until crossing a ridge into a rain forest.

I have climbed ancient pyramids, taken sleigh rides down smoking volcanoes, and carved through box canyons. I have been completely lost, completely alone, and in the heart of Oaxaca during Cinco de Mayo.

That doesn’t mean you can be stupid. And the guy who you are referring too made some bad decisions. He was a new rider and did little to no research and went into an area known for issues. If you decided to ride across America would you make sure you routed through Compton and the bad part of Chicago? I wouldn’t.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Just replaced the fuel line and rejetted the carb.

I have a rack on the way.

That only leaves....

Suspension, front and back
Big tank
New pegs and mounts
Seat
Bark Buster hand guards
Wiring the NSU bolts
Panniers
Windshield
Possibly frame reinforcement.
Maybe swapping out speedo with a digital.
Riding it for thousands of miles before I leave.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#32]
This may have already been mentioned, but have you read the book "Investment Biker"?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This may have already been mentioned, but have you read the book "Investment Biker"?
View Quote

Though I think I have heard of it, I have not.

I actually just downloaded Jupiter’s travels which I really need to read since Ted Simon is sort of The Godfather of documenting overland travel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a coworker that rode from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia, Argentina in 27 days. He loved it but would not do it again!!

http://www.34for40.org/ride.htm
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Gun forum
Wants to ride bike through anti gun countries

Go away troll
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gun forum

Go away troll
View Quote

LoL

You are trolling with this post. Feel free to show yourself the fuck out of the thread. Or don’t, I don’t care really.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a coworker that rode from Prudhoe Bay to Ushuaia, Argentina in 27 days. He loved it but would not do it again!!

http://www.34for40.org/ride.htm
View Quote

I met these guys just east of Yosemite on my trip around the USA. They started in Ushuaia, were headed to Prudhoe Bay, and then they were riding BACK to Ushuaia.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#38]
I am not going to ridicule you but you have a significant risk of not making it through Mexico alive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I am not going to ridicule you but you have a significant risk of not making it through Mexico alive.
View Quote

Well that will be drastically different from the last time I and thousands of others have ridden through Mexico.

But hey, who knows.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I did PDX to Ushuaia then Buenos Aires in 2016.  I was on a KTM 690, partner was on a DR650.  My engine failed in Antofagasta Chile, his bike held together but ran like crap due to the ever changing elevations and his inability to re-jet his carb.

You will be our hero if you machete your way way through the Darian solo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I did PDX to Ushuaia then Buenos Aires in 2016.  I was on a KTM 690, partner was on a DR650.  My engine failed in Antofagasta Chile, his bike held together but ran like crap due to the ever changing elevations and his inability to re-jet his carb.

You will be our hero if you machete your way way through the Darian solo.
View Quote

Yea, well I think that is an expedition in itself. Every attempt I have seen has been a bike literally carried by poles and canoes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was that the guy that posted pics of their bikes crammed in the hotel room? Or another guy?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Gun forum

Go away troll
View Quote

Are you fucking serious?

Arfcom has a cars and bikes forum so OP is alright with me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I still can't believe you found a DR650 with less than a 1000 miles on it.  Lucky son of a bitch.

Can't wait to see what the build ends up looking like.

Yenkro or Safari fairing would look good
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If you squint you can see the DR's big brother in the back.

I am seriously considering doing the BMW off road school maybe later this fall. I would like to push the GSA into a bit tougher stuff with confidence.
View Quote

did it this summer.  highly recommend it.

good luck on the ride!
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#47]
That trip takes a special kind of adventure gene. Go get it OP.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#48]
What happened to the guy that was riding way up north?  Like up into the artic circle?  Was that you, op, or different guy?

Very cool, by the way
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck man! I've always wanted to go a Rosa trip like that, but my ass hurts after riding my Wr250r for 250 miles.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#50]
What's your plan when you get to the Darien Gap?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top