Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/12/2020 10:06:28 PM EDT
Don't get too excited...as said I think it is a year and a half to two years away.

I know half of you are confused and scared right now but people do this all the time. Well, a few people.

So why am I putting it on this forum? It's like this, I have done a lot of things and seen a lot of stuff and I have found that to make things a reality they have to be said aloud and accepted as truth. When my wife and I travel we buy tickets first then make it happen. When I have a goal I decide it is happening and focus everything I can to make it happen.

So there it is ARFcom. Assuming I am not killed in the upcoming battle for Virginia I am going to make this happen.

So let's just open it up to comments, questions, and ridicule.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Tierra Del Fuego is on my bucket list of places to see.
Pill probably fly as far as I can then ride in a truck with someone.
Riding a motorcycle from the states seems pretty sporty...definitely going to be an interesting road trip.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#2]
is that what Neil Peart did after his first daughter and wife died within 10 months of each other?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is that what Neil Peart did after his first daughter and wife died within 10 months of each other?
View Quote
You know, I actually don't know. Shame to lose him though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would you do this?  Seems very unproductive, unnecessary, and possibly dangerous.  Also it's bad for the environment to burn all that gasoline.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think your plan is cool and I hope it works out for you.

I found the wikipedia link for Peart's book Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road.  He rode around for a while, don't know if he went to TDF.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why would you do this?  Seems very unproductive, unnecessary, and possibly dangerous.  Also it's bad for the environment to burn all that gasoline.
View Quote
That's exactly why I am going to do this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your words smell like UC Berkeley.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I like that scene in Wall Street when Charlie Sheen is saying to Daryl Hannah

"I want to make a million bucks so I can ride a motorcycle across China."

"Bud, you don't need a million dollars to ride a motorcycle across China."
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You’ve got my vote. Promise to post about it when you get back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Amazing plan. Best of luck.  Don’t let it be a dream. Make it happen.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP...  research Darien Gap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I met a family from Tierra Del Fuego at Osh a couple years ago.  Was sitting at a cooling station with my son charging the phones and cameras when they came in and sat with us.

I helped the father set up his DSLR for some aircraft shots and gave him a bit of a crash course.

My son asked where they were from and the The daughter said South America,  The father smiled and said, as far south in South America as you can go without being in Antarctica.  I replied Tierra Del Fuego!  and he perked up and smiled.

Nice people.  I would love to meet with them again some day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am very familiar. I have ridden from Virginia to Panama before. This isn't my first rodeo, just the biggest.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Take much reading material for the long waits at all the border crossings.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds awesome! Watch expedition overland’s season 2&3 for an idea of what to expect.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
What bike?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am very familiar. I have ridden from Virginia to Panama before. This isn't my first rodeo, just the biggest.
View Quote
Awesome.  You're knowledgeable.  I've talked to many people who think driving to S.A. is like driving to Philadelphia.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL

ETA

When you get down to Peru/Argentina it is like the surface of the moon for 2k+ miles.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tears in the ocean, tears in the ocean - especially in South America
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#20]
What bike? What spare parts will you carry? I assume you not only have to ride there - but back? How long are you thinking it will take?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What bike?
View Quote
I have had KLRs before which is what I did my previous ride on. I have a DRZ 400 and just couldn't love it. So I think it's going to be a DR650 heavily modded.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
People have done this. Sign up at ADVRider and start your research.
Where do you plan to start from? Usual procedure is to bypass the Darien gap via boat. However you decide I hope you can do it and please keep us posted.
A friend and I were going to fly down and ride a couple weeks in Patagonia but it looks like it ain't gonna happen. We are planning the South east adventure trail this spring though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Edit: Never mind.  I see you've already rode to Panama.

This guy did half that trip and made a documentary.  Apparently all roads south simply dead end in Panama.
GET LOST | A Solo Motorcycle Adventure to the Darien Gap
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What bike? What spare parts will you carry? I assume you not only have to ride there - but back? How long are you thinking it will take?
View Quote
When I rode to Panama I took way too many spare parts. My bike was way too heavy.  I learned a ton.

This time I will pare it down to just the minimum. The bad part is that I will require some cold weather gear which means bulk. I am not sure how to handle this. Maybe shop it to Colombia?

4-6 months. It just depends on what happens. I don't like to dick around much by hanging out in hostels for weeks. I am up early and curious what's around the bend.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#25]
So do it and shut up.

OTOH Don't shut up. Tell us about it when you do it.

It sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Not really MY gig, but sounds like a cool trip. My bucket list trip is in the summer of 2021 also. I'm going to trailer my boat to Florida, then take it to the Bahamas.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Ewan Mcgregor did a couple long motorcycle trips, and filmed them. The Long Way Round, and the Long way Down.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well in THAT case, God bless you!

I lived in a tipi for 14 months and polluted the atmosphere with wood smoke to keep warm.

Follow your dreams!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Read Theroux's The Patagonian Express--he boarded a train in Boston, IIRC, and rode all the way to Tierra Del Fuego.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have had KLRs before which is what I did my previous ride on. I have a DRZ 400 and just couldn't love it. So I think it's going to be a DR650 heavily modded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What bike?
I was going to guess that in my post, but then deleted it.

I think that’s a great choice from many of the ride reports on ADVrider.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:33:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ewan Mcgregor did a couple long motorcycle trips, and filmed them. The Long Way Round, and the Long way Down.
View Quote
Absolutely. Long Way Round is what really made me get the bug for ADV riding.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What bike?
View Quote
If I were to do this it would be a Royal Enfield with a sidecar but that is just me.

I am SO Old School but it is SO satisfying.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I were to do this it would be a Royal Enfield with a sidecar but that is just me.

View Quote
That's just sadistic.

The new Royal Enfield Himalayan is likely a good option though. But a sidecar...hell no.  My wife has Ural she loves and it is fun, but my god.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know.  But I have buried a daughter and told my wife that if anybody else in the immediate family checks out before me I'm getting on be the BMW in the garage and heading out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Look up Itchy Boots on Youtube.  She is riding solo from there to Alaska on a Royal Enfield Himalayan.
I think she is planning about a year and a half.  She's somewhere in Chile or Argentina right now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is a guy on ADVRider doing a similar trip on a DR650.
If you are a member there you have probably seen the thread on it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of bike?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Look up Itchy Boots on Youtube.  She is riding solo from there to Alaska on a Royal Enfield Himalayan.
I think she is planning about a year and a half.  She's somewhere in Chile or Argentina right now.
View Quote
I am afraid I could never give that much time right now.

I have noticed some riders will stay in the same place sometimes weeks at a time. I just can't do it. It drives me nuts. I always want to see what is around the bend. I am up at sunrise and on the road.

Not that I won't see what I can, I just don't need to stay in some random place and party for days. I like to take the road less travelled for sure but I do like to travel on down that road.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What kind of bike?
View Quote
A very well appointed first gen KLR.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Read Theroux's The Patagonian Express--he boarded a train in Boston, IIRC, and rode all the way to Tierra Del Fuego.
View Quote
Excellent book, hell, all of his books are pretty damn good!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's just sadistic.

The new Royal Enfield Himalayan is likely a good option though. But a sidecar...hell no.  My wife has Ural she loves and it is fun, but my god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just sadistic.

Old School. Hard core.

I am what I am.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know nothing about her, have not looked at the video but is she is following her dreams and is passing by she can sleep (alone) on my couch. I'll even feed her a meal or two.

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Craziness.

I've driven across Mexico in an F150 a  bunch of times.  That's quite enough for me!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#44]
A decent amount of people make this trip and then have to dump their bikes in Tierra del Fuego.  I was thinking of flying down, buying a used bike, and then riding it home.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A decent amount of people make this trip and then have to dump their bikes in Tierra del Fuego.  I was thinking of flying down, buying a used bike, and then riding it home.
View Quote
Could be tricky. You really need a title in your name.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True, but they should have the title with them.  When I was down there, they were not allowed to legally sell used bikes.  The way I understand it is that citizens of outside nations can make the purchase though.  It will require a little more research as some of the borders are terrible.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
True, but they should have the title with them.  When I was down there, they were not allowed to legally sell used bikes.  The way I understand it is that citizens of outside nations can make the purchase though.  It will require a little more research as some of the borders are terrible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have seen some deals go down where it was an American bike and they sent a title where it could be transferred here at home.

But then you run into import and export issues. They want usually want to see where the vehicle came in and left in the same passport. But of course money can usually alleviate those issues.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Double braaap.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Itchy Boots videos are very good.

[S2 - Eps. 46] Caught in a hail storm at 4700 meters altitude in the Andes!
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#50]
The thought of doing this in a 4x4 truck has crossed my mind a few times.
I read a fair bit at Expedition Portal and ADVrider.

Even though I used to go to Mexico, sometimes driving several hours south of the border pretty often, I am skeeved out by the idea of crossing these days.

I even have a truck set up to do stuff like this. Oh well, I have the US and Canada to keep me busy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top