BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 79
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:

5 miles from me it's available.  If I have a friend in that grid order it would it work in my grid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

5 miles from me it's available.  If I have a friend in that grid order it would it work in my grid?

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]

View All Quotes

It appears the answer is a solid maybe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

No shit.  I had the "choice" of HughesNet or TCT, which is basically cell towers and antennas.  It was at least better than HughesNet, but the upload speed was worse than StarLink and it was $158 a month.
View Quote

For the 5 years prior to StarLink we were paying $90/MO for a WISP "up to 10Mbps" service.  On a good day we'd get 4.  When the trees leaved out, or inclement weather, we'd essentially lose service.  Ending up having to run a cable across the yard and attach a dish to a tree in the yard to get reasonable reliability.  If we wanted to watch a streaming movie, we had to make sure no one else in the house was on their phone / tablet / computer / etc.

For $20/mo more, excellent service regardless of weather, crazy low latency, and crazy fast throughput...yeah...StarLink is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks.  That may help many understand why some get it and others do not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#5]
I am not comparing my situation to any of y'alls.  Just speaking about me.

I've been in this area for 5.5 years with really poor internet, I am downloading a 36 meg file (ccleaner for Windows) and its gonna take 12 minutes.

Now that I know people are getting it in my area, I am getting a bit impatient.  By no means do I think I deserve it, or I have a right to it, just want it.  I think the right word is painful anticipation.  I am considering putting down the bucks for a business plan.  

Anyone know if those (the bigger dishes) are shipping faster?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Got my Starlink unit today. Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but both the dish AND router say "MADE IN USA" on them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
I am not comparing my situation to any of y'alls.  Just speaking about me.

I've been in this area for 5.5 years with really poor internet, I am downloading a 36 meg file (ccleaner for Windows) and its gonna take 12 minutes.

Now that I know people are getting it in my area, I am getting a bit impatient.  By no means do I think I deserve it, or I have a right to it, just want it.  I think the right word is painful anticipation.  I am considering putting down the bucks for a business plan.  

Anyone know if those (the bigger dishes) are shipping faster?
View Quote

I feel your pain and have been on the regular starlink list for over a year and the premium starlink list maybe a month.  

No word yet on either but I am hoping the premium comes through first for the sweet download speed.  Should be a giant leap forward here in a lot of aspects in life once Starlink is available.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Two "delivery attempts" in... If my delivery gets sent back to starlink because some shitty lazy fedex driver doesn't want to deliver out to the middle of nowhere I'm gonna be super pissed.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
IMO, if you're complaining about the price increase (or cost of hardware), you're not their target market.  If you're complaining, it means you have other options.  For those of us where HughesNet was the only other option, it's 1) a godsend, and 2) still a great value.  

We've had Starlink for a year and it's been a game changer for us.
View Quote
Going on my 2nd month with Starlink. I was stuck with HughesNet  for 4 years (couldn't even get cell based internet at my house). I've been able to ditch HughesNet and Dish Network now that I have the capability to stream TV so I'm still way ahead in savings even with the price increase.

You're correct, Starlink is really a game changer for many rural people. No other internet provider gave a shit about us, I was willing to pay any price to get access to true high speed internet. It's good to see in some areas other companies are already reacting and are starting to run fiber to areas they've previously ignored, competition and options are good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:36:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: t75fnaco3pwzhd] [#15]
Originally Posted By JVD:
Two "delivery attempts" in... If my delivery gets sent back to starlink because some shitty lazy fedex driver doesn't want to deliver out to the middle of nowhere I'm gonna be super pissed.

View Quote

Contact FedEx and arrange to pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone experienced another push-out on their anticipated service date, since the last big round of them late 2021?  Mine still says "Starlink expects to expand service in your area in April 2022" after being pushed from "late 2021".  Hell they've already increased the pricing and I haven't even started service yet

April starts tomorrow....tick tock
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Giving up on starlink. My early to mid 2022 still waiting. But fiber just arrived to my house finally. So no brainer with the price difference.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:
Has anyone experienced another push-out on their anticipated service date, since the last big round of them late 2021?  Mine still says "Starlink expects to expand service in your area in April 2022" after being pushed from "late 2021".  Hell they've already increased the pricing and I haven't even started service yet

View Quote

Exact same situation here in MI, I was also pushed from mid-late '21 to April '22.  Hoping April is real as I'm really tired of my 12down & .85up ATT DSL.  Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I really don't have any doubt (no matter what they say publicly) that Starlink's advance into rural areas is why fiber got installed on our (very rural) road last month. We don't have it in our house yet, and I am already disgusted with Spectrum, so that does not bode well for future, and I may "get both" for that reason, but I don't think we'd have ANYTHING  (other than AT&T hotspot) available right now if Elon Musk had not said, "I'm giving country folks internet."

He has my devotion just for that.

May he become the richest man in the world by doing so.

I will be glad for it.
View Quote

I’ve been told that fiber isn’t coming my way for a long time.  I have 3 people who live on my entire road.  The cost isn’t worth it for the return for fiber internet companies.  It’d cost them mid-6 figure+ $ to get fiber to us.  All for $250/month billing from us combined.  It would take them 100 years to recoup their investment.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
SpaceX to launch Starlink satellite service in the Philippines

"Billionaire Elon Musk's Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX) will launch its satellite broadband service in the Philippines, a first in Southeast Asia, the trade secretary said on Thursday.

* SpaceX's business permit application is being processed while the company scouts locations for its gateways, said Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez.

* The company is setting up a wholly-owned subsidiary in the Southeast Asian country, and aiming to deploy three gateways in the first phase of their launch.

* Lopez did not specify a timeline or investment figure for the launch."

Sounds like it may be whatever time is needed to build the gateways.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ohioktm250:

I've been told that fiber isn't coming my way for a long time.  I have 3 people who live on my entire road.  The cost isn't worth it for the return for fiber internet companies.  It'd cost them mid-6 figure+ $ to get fiber to us.  All for $250/month billing from us combined.  It would take them 100 years to recoup their investment.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ohioktm250:
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

I really don't have any doubt (no matter what they say publicly) that Starlink's advance into rural areas is why fiber got installed on our (very rural) road last month. We don't have it in our house yet, and I am already disgusted with Spectrum, so that does not bode well for future, and I may "get both" for that reason, but I don't think we'd have ANYTHING  (other than AT&T hotspot) available right now if Elon Musk had not said, "I'm giving country folks internet."

He has my devotion just for that.

May he become the richest man in the world by doing so.

I will be glad for it.

I've been told that fiber isn't coming my way for a long time.  I have 3 people who live on my entire road.  The cost isn't worth it for the return for fiber internet companies.  It'd cost them mid-6 figure+ $ to get fiber to us.  All for $250/month billing from us combined.  It would take them 100 years to recoup their investment.
Several billion a year in taxes are collected for rural access.  

i wonder how many new lines are added with that.  Probably count them on your hand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#22]
When I enter my address it takes me to the order form but I don't see an ETA for availability.  

Does that mean that its available for delivery right away vs those that are seeing "mid 2022" etc?
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By mike_in_ca:
When I enter my address it takes me to the order form but I don't see an ETA for availability.  

Does that mean that its available for delivery right away vs those that are seeing "mid 2022" etc?
View Quote

Yes. If it gives you the option to order it now it is available now at your location.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By t75fnaco3pwzhd:

Yes. If it gives you the option to order it now it is available now at your location.
View All Quotes

I checked. I can order it now. But, it goes on to say that it may be 2023 or later before they can deliver.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:

I checked. I can order it now. But, it goes on to say that it may be 2023 or later before they can deliver.
View All Quotes

*Sigh*

Ok, let me spell this out.

If you see this, your area is already at capacity

But if you instead see this, you can order and receive your Starlink NOW
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got my package, had it redirected to a Walgreens almost a week late after they refused to deliver it.

But it's all good now. Out wit the old...

And in with the new.

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Received an email from Starlink saying they noticed my router was rebooting often, after having it for about a month.  Because of that, they were sending me out a new Starlink kit. (Need to return the old one)
Has anyone had that happen?  I never called or submitted a ticket.  

Both were 2.0 models.  The old router had a gray back on it.  The new one has a white back.  Anyone know if there is a difference?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Just sent ours back on Friday. Took advantage of their price raise to be able to return for full refund.  It worked well and was easy to setup. However had to wait for the roof mount and Modem adapter to come out still so I could send the signal to the other building as I usually do.

Specturm finally offered the upload speeds we were looking for 2 weeks after Starlink arrived.

Though a couple things are annoying with it  I would highly recommend for anyone who cannot get any other form of internet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

View Quote

Funny,
We received our NV location in one month from ordering
Our Cali location got pushed out to late 2022
We just ordered on Friday for our ID location.  got the confirmation email it is being shipped and due middle of next week
For those curious of where in ID, it is in the Hagerman valley.
Can hardly wait, been using t mobile and the latency is atrocious.
Century link is okay but stops at 20mb down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got our notification today after more than a year of waiting. Order has been placed, I can hardly wait. Having fast, reliable internet again will be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]

*Sigh*

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/513127/Screenshot_20220401_173844-2334484.png

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/513127/Screenshot_20220401_173922-2334485.png
View All Quotes

*Sigh*

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/513127/Screenshot_20220401_173844-2334484.png

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/513127/Screenshot_20220401_173922-2334485.png

Thanks for spelling it out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By EBR-Okie:
Finally got our notification today after more than a year of waiting. Order has been placed, I can hardly wait. Having fast, reliable internet again will be awesome.
View Quote

Cool, what was the last estimated date they gave you?  Trying to see if the April date they gave me is still realistic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:

Cool, what was the last estimated date they gave you?  Trying to see if the April date they gave me is still realistic.
View Quote

March was the last estimated time frame, so pretty close. I didn't have my hopes up, but I'm glad they finally came through.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Got my dish today. It will be for my CO property, but I set it up here in my backyard in Austin to see if it would even work.

I am pleased to say it works pretty well. Ookla says I'm 50 down and 10 up which seems OK.

I put my cell phone and work computer on it and everything is working at normal speeds relative to Spectrum that they are usually on.

I did a Zoom call with camera, screen share and a muted youtube video running in the background and everything worked OK without cutting out.

So it appears that roaming is working and compared to very spotty cellular I am getting in Canon City, this is a big plus.

I'll update next week after I test some more at my CO place.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By M-1975:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPw2pfrXwAA7wpz?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Before any whiners drop in to complain about sending Starlinks to Ukraine instead of keeping them here in the US, notice that is the old version. The ones currently being shipped to US customers are rectangular. They probably just had a bunch of v1 units sitting around that they didn't want to support so they sent them to Ukraine to get some beneficial PR optics.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Anyone bitching can piss off

Because of Starlink, information can get out of a warzone, that isn't being controlled by governments..... Or people an get just get in contact with their families like one of our employees... (not saying her actual family is using starlink though)
View All Quotes

Before any whiners drop in to complain about sending Starlinks to Ukraine instead of keeping them here in the US, notice that is the old version. The ones currently being shipped to US customers are rectangular. They probably just had a bunch of v1 units sitting around that they didn't want to support so they sent them to Ukraine to get some beneficial PR optics.

Because of Starlink, information can get out of a warzone, that isn't being controlled by governments..... Or people an get just get in contact with their families like one of our employees... (not saying her actual family is using starlink though)
Yea I don't even slightly get a blip on the give a shit meter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#40]
SpaceX and USAID deliver 5,000 Starlink internet terminals to Ukraine

"When Ukraine's Vice Prime Minister Mykhailo Fedorov tweeted at SpaceX founder Elon Musk to ask for Starlink internet services amidst the Russian invasion, the tech billionaire delivered — with the help of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

According to a new USAID press release (opens in new tab), the public-private partnership ultimately sent 5,000 Starlink terminals to the country, whose cities have been besieged by Russian forces since February.

USAID said the terminals will provide Ukraine with "unlimited, unthrottled data connectivity," keeping communications open for the government and citizens alike, "even if Putin's brutal aggression severs Ukraine's fiber optic or cellular communication infrastructure connections.""

Mykhailo Fedorov, Ukraine's vice prime minister and the country's minister of digital transformation, shared this photo on Feb. 28, 2022 of Starlink internet terminals that arrived in Ukraine after Russia invaded. (Image credit: Mykhailo Fedorov/Twitter)
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

They are all standing by the antenna (photo op) as if it is generating the wifi signal.   That wifi generator is at the end of the cable....perhaps behind the crowd.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#43]

So we're going to complain about Starlink sending old hardware out that they arent selling anymore, to a region with actual capacity....

People are waiting in the USA because of capacity issues, not the lack of hardware.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rumrunner358:

So we're going to complain about Starlink sending old hardware out that they arent selling anymore, to a region with actual capacity....

People are waiting in the USA because of capacity issues, not the lack of hardware.

If not anything, they'll be future paying customers
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rumrunner358:

Really? I thought the hold up was lack of hardware. I haven't researched it though.  My original expected service date was mid 2021 and now it's mid 2022. Are they behind on their expected number of satellites launched?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Finally got my order conformation! Almost 14 months to the day.

Right after the price increase email

But, it's my only option, so am stoked.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:26:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#47]
Ive been waiting since feb  last  year.

watched some youtude vids after  roaming starting showing up ..

they said order from an address that has avilable service and have it delivered to your house not the service address.

did that on march 28th/  

expected ship date is april 12-18

fingers crossed.  

if it fails to work.  

im driving to an area with  service changing the address and waitinf for roaming to = true

then  driving back home.  

if it works ..   hell yeah  !
if not  i will return it,  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:27:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotRyan] [#48]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Still waiting on mine.  Now says 2023 or later.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:34:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: notarandomname] [#50]
Originally Posted By Trunalimunumaprzure:
Still waiting on mine.  Now says 2023 or later.

View Quote

same for me.  

deposit paid feb 2021
del date changed to  the same as yours.

see my post above..    i have one on the way

dont know if it will work..  but  they  took my  full payment  and will ship next week .

hell they  still have my  deposit  from my original feb 2021 order.  
im leaving that open for when it  finally  arrives in my  area

Page / 79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top