Attachment Attached File

Buffalo National River
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

still sexy
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
been too busy with work and the holidays coming up, i have no camping trips scheduled.

only has been on cub scout meeting duties lately fml:
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
No offroaderlanding trips for me lately either, but got to do a short aquatic expedition this past weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Buuuut we took my wife’s car because reasons:
Attachment Attached File

4Runner got new front wheel bearings, and I cranked the coilovers up about half an inch and added some OME trim packers in the rear to compensate for all the armor I’ve added in the last year. I still have a to-do list a mile long but at least it’s all stuff that can be done after I get it aligned.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No offroaderlanding trips for me lately either, but got to do a short aquatic expedition this past weekend.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/6781C7C7-9FD7-4A8C-87C8-35535AB33DCC_jpe-1656953.JPG

Buuuut we took my wife’s car because reasons:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/ACE8FA15-59AC-43D3-B0C7-592AA2B3E6AF_jpe-1656955.JPG

4Runner got new front wheel bearings, and I cranked the coilovers up about half an inch and added some OME trim packers in the rear to compensate for all the armor I’ve added in the last year. I still have a to-do list a mile long but at least it’s all stuff that can be done after I get it aligned.
View Quote

Harbor Freight death stands.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Harbor Freight death stands.

View Quote

At least I put them on 40 year old disintegrating asphalt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looking for an SUV to do some mild off-road and camping in.

Found a 2012 4wd Nissan Xterra, can any one comment on these for long term?

Truck has 100K, don’t believe these have the SMOD issues.
View Quote

@dino1

Little late, but yes, an Xterra will do everything in this thread and more

If you want to do hardcore wheeling, get all under armor skids, rock sliders, front and rear bumpers

A titans swap in the front is easy and fairly cheap, adding a rear locker really helps (only stock on off-road/pro4x)

Lots of info over at thenewx.org/Xterranation.org
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At least I put them on 40 year old disintegrating asphalt.
View Quote

I have two sets, and a floor jack.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
New wheel bearings? BETTER GO DRIVE THROUGH A BUNCH OF WATER

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

They weather was great yesterday and I had no obligations so I decided to run a few miles of the KAT yesterday morning (Spaas Creek and pumpkin hollow for those in the area). Nothing difficult but it was a beautiful day and kept me off the PACKED hiking trails in the gorge. Somehow no one else was out trail riding on such a beautiful day?
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/7D5601F5-A0DA-470E-99FF-DBDC865061FD_jpe-1676499.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/4A3BB48B-FCF4-4F46-8C86-1B130E962098_jpe-1676500.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/69157D23-ABC9-48B9-B6AF-3499BA7A9D2B_jpe-1676501.JPG

They weather was great yesterday and I had no obligations so I decided to run a few miles of the KAT yesterday morning (Spaas Creek and pumpkin hollow for those in the area). Nothing difficult but it was a beautiful day and kept me off the PACKED hiking trails in the gorge. Somehow no one else was out trail riding on such a beautiful day?
View Quote

nice.

water made me finally get around to installing my diff breather yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

nice.

View Quote

That's on my list of small mods.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice.

It's definitely worth the peace of mind.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#16]
What roof racks are yall running on your Land Cruisers?

Any complaints/loves/suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have one of Trail Tailors original roof racks. It's nice, but I wish I would have gone with one made out of 80/20 instead of round tubing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#18]
dad win here

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/7D5601F5-A0DA-470E-99FF-DBDC865061FD_jpe-1676499.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/4A3BB48B-FCF4-4F46-8C86-1B130E962098_jpe-1676500.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/142455/69157D23-ABC9-48B9-B6AF-3499BA7A9D2B_jpe-1676501.JPG

nice.

I have had the ARB diff breather kit in my Amazon cart for quite a while now.

And yes, I know there are cheaper ways to do it, I have homebrewed breathers on my other 4x4.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a Landcruiser but I have Prinsu racks on my Tacoma. I think they make them for 80 and 100 series LCs
Really happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And yes, I know there are cheaper ways to do it, I have homebrewed breathers on my other 4x4.
View Quote

Another option if you fancy water. The ARB only does diffs but something like this will do your t case and trans.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIFF-BREATHER-KIT-4-POINT-FOR-TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-60-70-80-100-105-200-Series-4X4-/232969525340
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Running the victory 4x4 rack on mine. Overall it’s a solid rack. You can also check out prospeed racks on IG.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Another option if you fancy water. The ARB only does diffs but something like this will do your t case and trans.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIFF-BREATHER-KIT-4-POINT-FOR-TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-60-70-80-100-105-200-Series-4X4-/232969525340
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not wrong and thanks for the link.

ETA: Link doesn't work...
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought just the ARB bronze filter (~$12)
And ran the diff breather line up into my rear tail light housing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Not a Landcruiser but I have Prinsu racks on my Tacoma. I think they make them for 80 and 100 series LCs
Really happy with them.
View Quote

Bought a prinsu rack on black friday.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought just the ARB bronze filter (~$12)
And ran the diff breather line up into my rear tail light housing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71432/Rear_Diff_Breather_03_JPG-1708323.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71432/Rear_Diff_Breather_04_JPG-1708330.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/71432/Rear_Diff_Breather_11_JPG-1708324.JPG

Rear one is in the gas door in my old Toyota 4x4, front one is under the hood by the cowl.
Mine are the OEM style one way valves that are on the stock axles, just relocated.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Nice setup, We have found the best way to handle vents, for both axles, the t-case and the tranny is to T them all together and run a hose up thru the cab corners, over the roof and back down the other cab corner and vent to air...Or up and over the rollcage/light bar...It will stop any water infiltration even if the whole truck is put under water...We do a second hose to vent the fuel tanks..a second advantage of venting thus is if the truck ends up on its side or upside down it will not leak fluids...It has proven to work over and over again over the years...
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plain old Yakima rack with a thule rocket box from craigslist. Fits a ton of stuff in dry storage and still enough room for a couple of kayaks. Never felt the need for a safari style rack.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice setup, We have found the best way to handle vents, for both axles, the t-case and the tranny is to T them all together and run a hose up thru the cab corners, over the roof and back down the other cab corner and vent to air...Or up and over the rollcage/light bar...It will stop any water infiltration even if the whole truck is put under water...We do a second hose to vent the fuel tanks..a second advantage of venting thus is if the truck ends up on its side or upside down it will not leak fluids...It has proven to work over and over again over the years...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If anybody knows mud and water crossings it is you AK guys.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just got myself a Dana 60 for my Suburban camping rig, and got a Truetrac for the front based on your suggestion. Going to do a full rebuild and regear on it pretty soon and get it installed for some snow wheeling.

Attachment Attached File

Archery hunting

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I had a prinsu on my Tacoma.but it left a lot to be desired. It wasnt debuted after laser cutting but then was powder coated so had a lot of sharp edges and slag that couldn't be dealt with without repowdercoating.

Bowfin cruisers makes some similar for 80s and they look great and deal with some issues that prinsu left.

I will say that Prinsu went down after being bought by CBI.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had a prinsu on my Tacoma.but it left a lot to be desired. It wasnt debuted after laser cutting but then was powder coated so had a lot of sharp edges and slag that couldn't be dealt with without repowdercoating.

Bowfin cruisers makes some similar for 80s and they look great and deal with some issues that prinsu left.

I will say that Prinsu went down after being bought by CBI.
View Quote

Bummer to hear.

My cab rack is pre buyout and is really good, my cap rack is a very, very early model that is a bit rough around the edges.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just got myself a Dana 60 for my Suburban camping rig, and got a Truetrac for the front based on your suggestion. Going to do a full rebuild and regear on it pretty soon and get it installed for some snow wheeling.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277473/20201025_122905_jpg-1708386.JPG

Archery hunting

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277473/20190920_190621_jpg-1708390.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Archery hunting

Potentially unpopular opinion:
True tracs are great for general purpose wheelers. Not so much for a dedicated crawler but.....
I have one in the front of my 80s Toyota 4x4 and I really like it. Dramatically better then an open diff but easier to steer and not as rough on parts (important with wimpy ass Toyota IFS)
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:13:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Archery hunting

View Quote

Since you drive it on the road, make sure everything is tight as far as the trunions, tie rods and such, and get a quality alignment done.. Also make sure you have a pair of good steering stabilizers on it because 60's are bad about the death wobble..We change all of our Chevy's over to a 2 wheel drive steering box/pitman arm, and do a cross steer setup to the top of the passenger knuckle(our off road chevy's run orbital with a ram)..Toe in with the tires you are running is also critical, we set ours for an 1/8" of toe in no more/no less...Also if its still on leaf springs watch how much you shim up the pinion, it really messes with death wobble....
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Potentially unpopular opinion:
True tracs are great for general purpose wheelers. Not so much for a dedicated crawler but.....
I have one in the front of my 80s Toyota 4x4 and I really like it. Dramatically better then an open diff but easier to steer and not as rough on parts (important with wimpy ass Toyota IFS)
View Quote

That's what this rig is, will mostly be mountain road driving and a few snow trips, it's too big and heavy to be a legit snow rig, plus it's only on 37s. It has a Detroit locker in the rear 14 bolt and now the truetrac up front, should still be drivable on the freeway and be fairly capable in other aspects as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Since you drive it on the road, make sure everything is tight as far as the trunions, tie rods and such, and get a quality alignment done.. Also make sure you have a pair of good steering stabilizers on it because 60's are bad about the death wobble..We change all of our Chevy's over to a 2 wheel drive steering box/pitman arm, and do a cross steer setup to the top of the passenger knuckle(our off road chevy's run orbital with a ram)..Toe in with the tires you are running is also critical, we set ours for an 1/8" of toe in no more/no less...Also if its still on leaf springs watch how much you shim up the pinion, it really messes with death wobble....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Archery hunting

Every wear component of this D60 will be brand new, and I just put crossover steering on this rig last year. The pinion angle is still something I'll have to address, I had to shim my 10bolt to get the yoke higher, so I'll have to bolt it together and see how it all looks. I'll keep the alignment and stabilizer thing in mind too, this thing needs to roll down the freeway at 75mph, so it needs to be all correct.

Thanks for the tips. I know you've forgotten more than I know, so I'll take any advice I can get.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's what this rig is, will mostly be mountain road driving and a few snow trips, it's too big and heavy to be a legit snow rig, plus it's only on 37s. It has a Detroit locker in the rear 14 bolt and now the truetrac up front, should still be drivable on the freeway and be fairly capable in other aspects as well.
View Quote

You will be fine..We have had issues running 60's locked up in the front, whether its a tight posi or some kind of locker.. the big block ford I have posted in this thread has popped his front end twice with the true trac, but both times had total traction, heavily loaded and yanking on a buried tractor tire rig.. the first time he twisted off a HD stock inner, we went to moly axles on all the buggys and he twisted a moly stock type outer, so we then went to the 35 spline outers and its been fine since...I have done ok with spooling 60s with strange spools, but that was on our big power, light weight racers(2100 hp/3500 pounds) but I doubt the fronts can handle spools off-road...
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Every wear component of this D60 will be brand new, and I just put crossover steering on this rig last year. The pinion angle is still something I'll have to address, I had to shim my 10bolt to get the yoke higher, so I'll have to bolt it together and see how it all looks. I'll keep the alignment and stabilizer thing in mind too, this thing needs to roll down the freeway at 75mph, so it needs to be all correct.

Thanks for the tips. I know you've forgotten more than I know, so I'll take any advice I can get.
View Quote

Rather than roll up the diff, if you can, shim down the t-case..it works just as good and doesn't mess with the steering...We have made our own t-case adapters and moved the t-case back 20 inches to the center of the truck on some of my older rigs, mainly my tube chassis buggy with a big block/t350/205.. it worked great with both front and rear shafts being the same length...

This is the ford we just built for my buddy's cousin.. we shimmed the case down.. I ended up making a new crossmember, but thats because the original builder built a hokey crossmember and it was bending...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I went to install this I discovered my old breather line, from circa 1998, was cracked right at the axle fitting.  So the rest of the breather tube was essentially useless.  Also open to air, no valve on the end.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

When I went to install this I discovered my old breather line, from circa 1998, was cracked right at the axle fitting.  So the rest of the breather tube was essentially useless.  Also open to air, no valve on the end.
View Quote

Yeah, I have seen that many times.. Goodyear hose holds up much better to the weather than any other I have seen except for going to braided hose..
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Well its still a work in progress, and will never go any where insane. But my home built should do well, 17 inches of clearance on 31 inch tires and 2000 lbs loaded is the goal. Queen bed, table/couch inside, exterior kitchen, 25 gallons of water with hot water and a pop top for over 6 feet of interior height. Body length 12 foot, 5'6" inside wdith.

To be pulled by a 95 tacoma 4x4 v6.

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#42]
anyone getting the new Ford Bronco to use for overlanding?
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#43]
New truck, cant wait to get it onto the trail and live out of it. I need to buy a Softopper.

CF4B9EFC-3500-48D7-B966-2CDC074B7E71_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i find the actual concept very appealing, but overlanding is pretty much illegal in america anyways. for the most part you are limited to offroad parks where most of these dorks with their 120k dollar landrovers arent gonna want to bounce off them of trees.
View Quote

Damn, you seem to always be wrong about everything..must be a sad way to live life...
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
New truck, cant wait to get it onto the trail and live out of it. I need to buy a Softopper.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50647213812_cbc8085e55_b.jpgCF4B9EFC-3500-48D7-B966-2CDC074B7E71_1_201_a by Austin Scott, on Flickr
View Quote

I never figured you to be a Dodge guy.  

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I never figured you to be a Dodge guy.  

View Quote

Im not, Ive had an F150 since I was 17. Time to try this out. Besides, no one makes anything like this.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i find the actual concept very appealing, but overlanding is pretty much illegal in america anyways. for the most part you are limited to offroad parks where most of these dorks with their 120k dollar landrovers arent gonna want to bounce off them of trees.
View Quote

You live in the west and still believe this?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did a ~100 mile one way drive on dirt roads and trails a few months ago.
In CA no less.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Wife and I finally upgraded from our WJs and picked up a 2014 WK2 Overland EcoDiesel a couple months ago.

Nothing too serious planned for right now aside from some more suitable tires. Will probably bump up to a 265/65/18, but the wife wants to stick to stock for this go around.

Aside from all the frilly options, we did make sure to get the Offroad Adventure II package, which includes ELSD in the rear, 2 speed t-case, 18" wheels in place of the standard 20's and a whole slew of skid plates.

That said, the diesel specific stuff on the underside are a little exposed, so I'll be snagging some skids for the DEF injector and fuel line, along with one for the fuel filter housing.

Looking forward to getting a few miles off the pavement with it, might do a quick day trip down to Moab and back, I'm thinking that will be possible on a single tank of fuel

Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top