Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1694
Posted: 4/6/2020 1:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Osprey61]
Bored, and want to live dangerously?

Company I've been in for 14 years is in it's death throes...got pounded by the 'Rona. They own a wall of patents on MEMS laser projection and LIDAR, and just signed an agreement with MSFT last week to transfer manufacture of the light engine in Hololens II to a royalty agreement. The next day 50M shares traded...and there are only 150M shares total for the company. Looks now like they were cleaning up for a sale/merger because...

..."MVIS-Today announced it has retained investment banking firm Craig-Hallum Capital Group LLC to serve as its financial advisor as it explores various licensing and other strategic alternatives, including a potential sale or merger of the company."

Selling this morning at .22 to .23 a share. Speculation is rampant about what a sale would bring, because potential suitors include MSFT, Apple, STM, Sony and others. Read this thread carefully to see what's going on!...and don't gamble money you can't afford to lose. A reverse-split is also still  on the table, and those almost always destroy shareholder value*.

ETA: *"destroy shareholder value" is a euphemism for "individual investor loses his shirt".

MVIS retains Craig Hallum

Full disclosure: I hold 30K shares at an .84 ASP. If they sell for a buck a share I make beer money. If it goes for $5 I make Porsche money. Point is, at .23 right now a buck sale will be a three bagger...

UPDATE: CEO just sent out a memo begging shareholders to vote "yes" on the reverse split...heavy implication is they're getting hammered by "no" votes, and the motion won't pass, or is in serious danger.

MVIS Reddit is lighting up. I won't pretend to fully understand the repercussions, but it sure is entertaining. If you have proxy voting rights, please use them and support the vote of no confidence on item 3!

Go here and do some (non-technical) Reddit reading. Emotions running high. Share is up 28% as I type.
Form_defa14a
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Glock63:

Selling puts is just as simple.  Its just in reverse
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By myfakename:

Covered calls are pretty easy and I'm not stock savvy at all. Not touching puts yet. No sir.

And the settlement account money mostly flows out of my account (or tries to unless I roll) about 35-40% of the time when I sell them.  Definitely reverse of my calls.

I’ve sold hundreds of calls so far (obviously I’m new, that’s not a lot), and only three have expired ITM.  Of those I pushed out two and let the one that was too expensive to buy back get called away.  That was RIOT, she’s a mean bitch but the volatility has me on the winning side of her...for now.

Of the puts.  Well, that’s a different story.  Still mostly fun though, and I’m still up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]

My problem is keeping enough money in my account to cover them.
View All Quotes

There’s an easy way around that that we should leave unspoken here.

Vanguard grants that in order to allow the selling of cash secured puts and covered calls, even though I don’t want it.  Scares the shit out of me, and the couple times I was in bed with old Marge I didn’t sleep too well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Total53:

I don't think anyone posted it. I looked at it on reddit this morning and while $60 would be great, bendoverzinger has not really been a beacon of integrity.

That EDU play is chineesium, Cathy said avoid these, maybe visit them at a future date.
View Quote

Yeah, don't buy EDU.   I read up on them.  It was the first thing I saw that was moving good.  Not a hold for sure.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a really dumb question regarding selling covered calls with Vanguard.  

The "Limit Price" is the minimum premium I will accept for the contract, NOT the strike price.  Is this correct?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#5]
Originally Posted By rktman26:

The "Limit Price" is the minimum premium I will accept for the contract, NOT the strike price.  Is this correct?  
View Quote

No dumb questions here.  The limit price is not the strike price.

The limit price is the price you are willing to sell the option contract.  Yes, it ends up being the premium per share but that’s not what it is…just being pedantic so you don’t get terms confused.

I take that back, there is one dumb question, “How high will it go?”  
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

Where did he get the $60 from? And why such a nice even number? Why not $61 or $63?
View Quote

There was a great deal of speculation on the value of Microvision in the event of a buy-out.
A $10b valuation divided by the outstanding number of shares = $60.

This was all before the company decided to go it alone/couldn't find a buyer at an acceptable price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:

The limit price is the price you are willing to sell the option contract.  Yes, it ends up being the premium per share but that’s not what it is…just being pedantic so you don’t get terms confused.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rktman26:

I'm pretty sure I understood it, I just didn't want to some how end up selling 100 shares of MVIS for $25.00.  

Not $25/ share.  $25 total.  

That would be a fairly expensive lesson. . And being dumb is painful.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Only reason I'm not selling puts. I'd rather accumulate stocks  and sell calls on them.
View All Quotes

Only reason I'm not selling puts. I'd rather accumulate stocks  and sell calls on them.

Yep. I roll any funds back into more stocks. Still waiting on dpls to dip so I can get back in with my amc money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Covered calls are pretty easy and I'm not stock savvy at all. Not touching puts yet. No sir.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

Then all that would happen is no profit from selling the call correct ?

I haven't tried selling any calls or options, but you guys have convinced me to consider it. I applied to get approval hopefully fidelity will give it to me. All I asked for is level 1 so maybe.

Yes I think they just approved me. I think I have a handle on how selling a call is supposed to work but I don't know where to go on the website ( fidelity ) to do it, doesn't seem to be under the usual buy/sell option.

What am I missing ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 12:55:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IceChimp] [#12]

Yes I think they just approved me. I think I have a handle on how selling a call is supposed to work but I don't know where to go on the website ( fidelity ) to do it, doesn't seem to be under the usual buy/sell option.

What am I missing ?
View All Quotes

I haven't tried selling any calls or options, but you guys have convinced me to consider it. I applied to get approval hopefully fidelity will give it to me. All I asked for is level 1 so maybe.

What am I missing ?

On Fidelity, if you have been approved, click on the stock on your positions screen and you should see the following buttons (BUY) (SELL) (Set Exit Plan) (Option Chain).

Option chain is the button to click to launch into the option trading screen for that stock.

ETA: I don't think it will show if you don't have at least 100 of a stock and some tickers don't have options available either like the penny stocks or funds.

ETA2: You can also click on trade in the upper left hand corner and in the trade options screen it will likely default to Stocks/ETFs but you can select options to pull up an ad hoc option trading screen where you have to fill out everything.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:18:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glock63] [#13]

View Quote

I'm on track to add 30% more shares of mvis to one of my accounts by selling puts over the last 8 weeks if i so choose.
Ive just been rolling them down and out as mvis floats downward, collecting significant premiums.   Ive honestly done better selling puts than calls as far as dollar value goes.  I can't decide whether to continue this strategy, or transition to shares in advance of the conference if my $14' puts expire Friday.  I'm leaning towards shares.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FelisTacet:

Vanguard grants that in order to allow the selling of cash secured puts and covered calls, even though I don’t want it.  Scares the shit out of me, and the couple times I was in bed with old Marge I didn’t sleep too well.
View All Quotes

ol' Marge is my BFF.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 2:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SageEBR:

On Fidelity, if you have been approved, click on the stock on your positions screen and you should see the following buttons (BUY) (SELL) (Set Exit Plan) (Option Chain).

Option chain is the button to click to launch into the option trading screen for that stock.

ETA: I don't think it will show if you don't have at least 100 of a stock and some tickers don't have options available either like the penny stocks or funds.

ETA2: You can also click on trade in the upper left hand corner and in the trade options screen it will likely default to Stocks/ETFs but you can select options to pull up an ad hoc option trading screen where you have to fill out everything.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SageEBR:

What am I missing ?

Thanks. I found it, and I watched a couple videos on youtube.

I think I get it but I am kind of nervous. I don't want to make a big mistake.

I do understand they sell in contracts of 100 shares, so a quantity of 1 is for 100 shares correct ?

And the selected strike price is what I will get per share ? Like the poster said a few posts up, I wouldn't want to accidentally sell 100 shares for say $25 if I am looking for $25 each.

I also notice it has a max gain, break even, and marked unlimited loss on the bottom. Unlimited ? I think that is just because I would be missing out of possible unlimited gains if it rocketed. This is just for a covered call, I have no interest in shorting anything.

Lastly it has order value minus commission on the last page before submitting, that is my premium that I will collect ?

I think I get it. But I want to be sure.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Today is the day, I can feel it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Malbec:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#18]
They've cornered the autonomous vegetation management market!

Velodyne Lidar (NASDAQ:VLDR) announced a multi-year contract to render its Puck lidar sensors to Renu Robotics, an industry leader in autonomous vegetation management systems (7.28)
   Renu Robotics' Renubot, a fully autonomous, all-electric mower, helps solar and energy facilities cut costs, time and carbon emissions, while maintaining the grounds for maximum performance of the facility.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

Velodyne Lidar (NASDAQ:VLDR) announced a multi-year contract to render its Puck lidar sensors to Renu Robotics, an industry leader in autonomous vegetation management systems (7.28)
   Renu Robotics' Renubot, a fully autonomous, all-electric mower, helps solar and energy facilities cut costs, time and carbon emissions, while maintaining the grounds for maximum performance of the facility.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

https://media.giphy.com/media/o7ZD2G7ZnmyDC/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47as63p0nvsk9bx60htd0d4wg28ffav7bgofb8yv9l&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#23]

I do understand they sell in contracts of 100 shares, so a quantity of 1 is for 100 shares correct ?

And the selected strike price is what I will get per share ? Like the poster said a few posts up, I wouldn't want to accidentally sell 100 shares for say $25 if I am looking for $25 each.

I also notice it has a max gain, break even, and marked unlimited loss on the bottom. Unlimited ? I think that is just because I would be missing out of possible unlimited gains if it rocketed. This is just for a covered call, I have no interest in shorting anything.

Lastly it has order value minus commission on the last page before submitting, that is my premium that I will collect ?

View Quote

Yes, stock option contracts are for 100 shares.
More info.

https://www.investopedia.com/options-basics-tutorial-4583012
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Moon coffee before a Moon Lambo ride
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Anybody playing with SAVA?  It's been on a rocket this year, but somebody just filed a lawsuit saying their clinical data is flawed.  Down 20% in pre-market.  I did a little DD and the general consensus seems to be that it's manipulation to tank the stock, but I don't know if I want to dip my toe in or not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Finally!  After holding this for 10 years - to the moon!

American Green (OTCPK:ERBB) has signed a new cannabis management services agreement with Curaleaf’s (OTCPK:CURLF) two cultivation facilities in Arizona.
   The deal will provide American Green with ~$2.1M in annual revenue and $10.4M in revenue over the term of the agreement.

American Green has the option to continue the agreement for three additional five-year periods after the initial five-year term is up.
   American Green’s premium cannabis is used in various Curaleaf and Select products, including some of their popular Live Resin offerings.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#27]

my son started T-ball this year and we're on the Astros. good mug!
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#29]
ME looks like it may have  started to level off instead of nose dive.   I'll probably pick up some more on the next dip.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Yes, stock option contracts are for 100 shares.
More info.

https://www.investopedia.com/options-basics-tutorial-4583012
View Quote

Sometimes they are for less.  It will specify though with a little number.   Futures options can be for all sorts of crazy numbers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:46:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#31]

View Quote

Sorry for the poorly formatted reply.  I’m on my phone right now.

Yes, contracts that we will be using sell in 100 share increments.  So 1 contract is for 100 shares.

Yes, the strike price is the price you will receive per share if it’s exercised.

Your trading software, mine doesn’t either, doesn’t take into account what you own.  In theory if you didn’t have the shares to sell, your loss would be unlimited because there’s no defined peak.  It could go to $100 or $1000 or $1,000,000 and you would be on the hook to buy the shares to sell at the strike/exercise point if you didn’t already own them.

Pedantic point but the premium is yours.   All of it.  The commission is the devils cut.  I don’t think your gains/losses take into account the commission but you should.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions.  We’re here to help!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#32]

I do understand they sell in contracts of 100 shares, so a quantity of 1 is for 100 shares correct ?  yes

And the selected strike price is what I will get per share ? Like the poster said a few posts up, I wouldn't want to accidentally sell 100 shares for say $25 if I am looking for $25 each.  just make sure the strike price you select is higher than your average cost per share, this will prevent you from losing on the deal

I also notice it has a max gain, break even, and marked unlimited loss on the bottom. Unlimited ? I think that is just because I would be missing out of possible unlimited gains if it rocketed. This is just for a covered call, I have no interest in shorting anything.  only real risk is as you mentioned if the stock sky rockets above your strike price, you can lose out on gains you would have realized if you didn't have the share tied up with the covered call contract.  As others have said you can roll but it becomes a balancing act if the price is rocketing the buy to close will cost more, worst case you just let them get called away if you don't want to roll or don't have the funds to roll

Lastly it has order value minus commission on the last page before submitting, that is my premium that I will collect ?  yes, premium is the value after they take the commission

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Sometimes they are for less.  It will specify though with a little number.   Futures options can be for all sorts of crazy numbers.
View Quote

I haven't seen any odd lot option contracts yet. And after your description of the futures trading, I do NOT plan on trying that one anytime soon.

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Last night I taught my 70 year old father how to sell calls and puts in his trading account
Should be interesting
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:34:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Last night I taught my 70 year old father how to sell calls and puts in his trading account
Should be interesting
View Quote

I tried that, he said no.  It was discussed with another member here that had the exact same experience.  

Let us know what he says.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#36]

I haven't seen any odd lot option contracts yet. And after your description of the futures trading, I do NOT plan on trying that one anytime soon.

https://media.giphy.com/media/B7LFIntQCEBNK/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4747afc6ujin1otigqlca5xn68xb8ruov2mgiqfvx9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
View Quote

I swear the SPY used to have 25s.  But you can see BTC has a one. But if I remember correctly 1 BTC future is 2 coins.  Much confusion.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Should be interesting
View Quote

Eeeek!
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

I swear the SPY used to have 25s.  But you can see BTC has a one. But if I remember correctly 1 BTC future is 2 coins.  Much confusion.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173565/Screenshot_20210825-083344_thinkorswim_j-2065421.JPG
View Quote

That's almost $100k you're playing a futures contract on - too fucking scary for me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Well somebody do it - call MAVIS at $15 - where is that little minx headed?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:45:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: colt_thompson] [#40]

I tried that, he said no.  It was discussed with another member here that had the exact same experience.  

View Quote

He wrote a bunch of covered calls and cash secured puts good till cancel
See what hits
Got my wife to start writing calls on her ROTH
Apple doesn't pay much but money is money
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:46:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#41]
MVIS crossed $15
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:46:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jb31] [#42]

I’d love to see your list.

I was out floating the river all day with family. Looks like I missed a good day based on my P/L  for the day.
View Quote

Here are a few inverse S&P500 ETFs that I am interested in.  I am trying to make some decisions so I can have some money waiting when I think the market is ready and move cash there until we hit bottom.  

Proshares -
SPXU 3x leveraged
SH 1x
SDS 2x

Exponential ETFs -
RVRS reverse cap weighted

Direxion -
SPDN daily 1x
SPXS daily 3x

@RatherBeLifting

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:46:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#43]

That's almost $100k you're playing a futures contract on - too fucking scary for me.
View Quote

Yes.  You have to call them up on the phone and explain why you are a crazy person to trade bitcoin futures.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Well somebody do it - call MAVIS at $15 - where is that little minx headed?
View Quote

The charts say we are getting close to the top of this cycle.  But if you get a little good news at the top of a cycle, boomski  to the moonski.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#45]
I’ve been out of the loop for a while (just moved from 6000sqft lot suburbia to a few acres in the country), what’s the reason for the rise over the last few days? Has there been any actual developments or is it just trending along with the rest of the market + speculation?

I haven’t even looked at a chart in like 3 weeks
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Sure would be nice to have some PR...right about NOW.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
I’ve been out of the loop for a while (just moved from 6000sqft lot suburbia to a few acres in the country), what’s the reason for the rise over the last few days? Has there been any actual developments or is it just trending along with the rest of the market + speculation?

View Quote

Lidar market in general has been moving together for the majority of the last week or so
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

The trade show next week?  They have said that they have "several" products to show.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

Lidar market in general has been moving together for the majority of the last week or so
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rollin-tumblin:

yeah no news and relatively low volume, just the whole sector having a good week.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#50]

See what hits
View All Quotes

See what hits

I’m glad you convinced him!  It’s so easy and risk-averse, even a boomer can do it!  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 1694
Top Top