Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2001 3:47:42 AM EDT
Is this true??

Does it really cost a whopping $3,000 per month to have a web site??

-$36,000 per year??? as advertised on the now closed,..and up 4-sale AK47-Net site???

I know nothing about computors let alone maintaining a web site. Mabe somebody who is skilled in this field can enlighten me as to the extreme financial costs of having a site on the Net??

MH.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:38:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I would be willing to donate some money from time to time.  

I am fairly new to the AR-15 community and I have learned so much over the past two months from members on the forums as well as the archives of information.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
$3,000 a month?  Oy vey!  That's a lot of geld!  I knew the costs were significant, but I didn't think they were that high.  I clicked on banners every few visits and thought I was doing my bit.  

One of the old members, Duce Apocalypse, has a friend with a lot of networking gear and servers.  Looking into hosting it through him, maybe even get the search function back.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Well......ask a question, get an answer.  Thanks Ed.  I had no idea it cost that much.  Whew.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Donations can be made at [url]www.castle-arms.com[/url]

Go to the [red]ORDERING[/red] page and scroll down to the section where the "funds" are listed.  There is also a section for "Brothers In Arms" donations.

The ordering section of Castle Arms is now on a secure server!

[b]Currently, the funds are as follows:[/b]
Servers -- $851.00
Brothers -  $701.60

As soon as we hit the $1000 mark for the servers, we will forward the funds to Ed Avila.

[*] Thanks to all that have donated!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#9]
You will find some interesting comments when I asked the same question last month

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=15937[/url]

Some think the site costs $100 a month & the owners are raking in big $ from banner ads.
Ask yourself:  When was the last time you clicked on one here?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Why does it have to be some GREAT SECRET?
just say what it costs!! 1K 2K 3K 4K, pick a number and tell us. All this talk and you still wont say the price in dollar amount!!!

If it is that high why do you pay it? You made of money?

Shit lets just go to a $5 a year membership and be done with it.

member area $5
non-member FREE limited area use.

work something out and stop all this nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't beleive that Ed's intent at this point is to charge us for membership. he's just trying to convey the various expenses that can be incurred in sustaining a website like this and give us a vague idea of how much it actually does cost him.

I, for one, wish that some sort of membership fee would be instituted. I wouldn't have a problem paying $10-$15 a year to help ensure the future of AR15.com. Hell, that's still less than most magazine subsciptions, and I get way more out of this site than any magazine. A fee would also help cut down on the riff raff and multiple personalities. there could even be non-member sections or trial memberships or whatever. It doesn't have to be totally exclusive, just enough to garuantee the continuance of the site. If it ever does get too much for Ed to continue, I certainly hope he thoroughly explores this option rather just pulling the plug like AK-47.net.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this true??
Does it really cost a whopping $3,000 per month to have a web site??
-$36,000 per year???
View Quote

A site like this? Hell no! Ebay's website might cost $3,000.00 a month, but AK47.net sure didnt.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Rip,

I can't pick a figure.  I threw out my question since I was thinking of putting a site like this together for another hobby I'm intrested in.

I also wanted members to be aware this site isn't free, someboy is paying.

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Amen Boomer! When I bult my first AR last year the members of this board were a Godsend! Troubleshooting issues, diagrams, you name it. Someone always had an answer. I would pay a membership/subscriber fee. Whatever the cost is I am sure the knowlege I have gained from this site and the old ar15.com is worth much more.
Thanks for the good service!

Brian

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#16]
A nominal fee of something like $10 per year for the Member's Areas would certainly curtail the trolls we've gotten.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#17]
[blue][b]An interesting option could be to change the entire site over to a new format...

Reading is free for everyone, but if you wish to post, you must be a paid member -- now that would certainly cut down on the crap![/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
IF you manage your own website.
you only need a server
and a T-1 line, maybe a DSL with fix IP will do.
I believe that is it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IF you manage your own website.
you only need a server
and a T-1 line, maybe a DSL with fix IP will do.
I believe that is it.
View Quote

I think several points are missed here.  Any connection is going to have to be a commercial grade account; a residential DSL or Cable Modem will not be adequate.  Oh, it will work, for a day, maybe two.  Then the SysAdmin of the ISP will shut it down for pegging the available bandwidth.  At that point, you'll have to upgrade to a commercial grade account where the available bandwidth is generally smaller, and you get charged by the GB for transport.  Think about how many pages you view a day; then guestimate how many pages are served per day for all the visitors to the site.  Then, take that number and multiply it by 50k, an average page size.  It all adds up.  The base cost for the line itself is generally only a couple hundred dollars, but the cost for the amount of data traffic can run into the thousands.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Ed: Is this all coming out of your pocket? I cant see how you would be makeing any sort of revenue with this site. There are no banners for us to click anymore. I would hate to think that we suck all your money up and us not do anything for you
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like the "writing is on the wall".
All this great infonet we've been enjoying for free will someday be something you have to pay to get.
Great for rich folk but bad for poor ones like me :-(
(my computer was a gift from mom and dad :-)
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah - I will contribute
[:D]

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Ed:

just wanted to say THANKS, for taking the time out to give such a detailed answer to my question.

I have a new-born appreciation for the folks who maintain this web site (and others) and who do so without thanks!

I never knew.

And I dont think the vast majority of folks who frequent these sites had any idea the astronomical COST, $$$$$, that it takes to operate.

ill never "take-for-granted" these web sites ever again.  To show my support for this excellent site, I would immediatly order one of those special edition "AR15.com" rifles. I encourage those who can, do so ASAP.

Unfortunately, I live in the Peoples Republic of California. possession of that rifle would mean the sound of a prison door slamming in my face as I wait for my bagged lunch behind bars in San Quentin.

I salute all the staff here, for both their dedication as well as their un-selfish maintenance of this expensive web site.

Thanks again,

MH.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Ed, GoatBoy et al,

Thanks for the site and the good work you do!!!!

Yeah guys, it you want him to "pin down" the cost of the site, i'm sure he can but hasn't really kept track of it as he/they are not into it for the money.

I run a small low speed site. I have friends who run faster sites and yes, it can be very costly. Just as Ed said before, it depends upon many things like: Co-location, locally hosted, Fractional T1, T1, T3, etc...

Coding the web pages takes time and if this is what they do for a living, this is essentially a [B]LOSS[/B] of income for them.

What do they charge us for it? NOTHING

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 1:59:30 AM EDT
[#29]
DARN TOOTIN" THANKS!!!

I also had no idea of the cost involved and Ed gave an excellent explaination!  Heck, anytime you want to start charging a yearly fee for this site just let me know and I'll be the first to send a check.

And to think that some people get pissed off when the moderators "censor" certain posts.  They cry "Freedom of speach", well obviously speach is not free.....it cost  big $$$$$!!

Truely, my hat is off to all the moderators, Ed and Goatboy.

Thank You

sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top