Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Posted: 8/15/2019 1:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762]
It’s that time again!   My first day back is Monday, and the students join us the following Monday.  The project this year is Mission to Mars- Cultivating Our Future from Wyoming to Mars

For the last seven years, ARFCOM has been an essential part of the adventure my students experience with the building of permanent large installation projects here at our high school.   I know that this year will be no different, and our success will be attributable to the incredible help that so many of you provide.
My Art classes will again work with CAD students, Welding students, Woodworking students, and Robotic students to try to create our next display.  I’m hoping with our subject this year, we can get some agronomy students also involved.   For those new to our adventures, roughly 60-80 students from grades 9-12 will work the entire school year to build from scratch a permanent 3D display in an area roughly 13.5’x18.5’.  Some students might only spend an hour working on this, some three weeks,  and some might spend several hours every day the entire year.  This will roughly (some will remember last year’s prediction of $1200, and how off I was by the end, $2700) cost around $2000.   Yeah, let’s try to stay there this year.  The generosity in both funds, equipment, and advice last year made all the difference in being able to spend that much money on such a project.    We will again have to have a t-shirt sale to celebrate the adventure and raise the funds needed.  

Our new build area is the breakout room next to the Agriculture and Robotics rooms.    They came to me last spring, knowing we had few areas left to work in, and asked if we would do something in their area, oriented towards their disciplines.   I will admit, that building a tractor was not at the top of my list of “fun” ideas, but many students were excited about this idea, and once ARFCOM started throwing out ideas(Rover wheels on the tractor-Thanks @Frank_B ), my fun meter spiked substantially.  I’m hoping students will be inspired with the idea of linking cultivating fields in WY, to the eventual cultivating fields on Mars.  

So here is what I’m envisioning right now:
Our new home for this year.  The trophies and banners will all come down.-
13.5ft x 18.5 ft.  Same size as the locomotive area

-Martian and Wyoming landscapes blended across the room-Heart Mountain, fields, desert, to Martian landscape, envirodomes

Our school is on the left in front of the water tower.  

-Probably a 1/3rd scale???? John Deere EV tractor altered adding moving “Rover” wheels.  We need some diagrams for the tractor.

-3D environment with rocks, fields, envirodomes, possible live agronomy display

-Drones scanning fields-one of the Robotics old platforms will/could be used also.

-Rover movement-move across the wall?  

-14 foot tall? SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket/launch surrounding the support beam (bottom portion lit up with clear lights simulating launch?).

As with past years, I’m sure this will be altered a bit as the adventure proceeds, and ARFCOM adds to ideas.   Our team of students has changed of course, and we will be missing our lead Robotics student who went so far above and beyond what was expected last year.   Hopefully we find someone to fill his shoes.   I should have back several of my lead builders again.  I ran the idea by them a week ago, and they were excited to get started.  

Please share any ideas you might come up with!   Even if we don’t use it, the ideas can spur discussion, and lead to new thoughts.    The brainstorming ARFCOM provides is always one of the most interesting and important aspects of this process.

Here is last year’s thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/1-3rd-Scale-17ft-Marine-One-Helicopter-Project-ThreadUpdate-6-17pg54-magazine-article-/5-2133113/

Previous adventure....
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ALL-ABOARD-1-3rd-scale-Baldwin-4-4-0-Locomotive-Update-5-24pg29-The-End-is-here-Video-/5-2025503/

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#1]
In on one
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Or not...

Good luck OP!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh so IN again this year
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
In! and subscribed!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
Good notes to remember.  I wonder if the greenhouse style is more for the people and their mental health rather than for the plants.  Maybe a more tinted glass would be appropriate?
View Quote
Most people (even Mars enthusiasts) tend to forget the realities of the being on the surface. And yes, growing plants will help people's morale and mental health, but there will be windows on the wall, rather than greenhouses.

It's also amusing to me that most of the rocks on Mars that have been "cleaned" by rovers are white or blue. Once we give it a good dusting, Mars may not be the "red planet" anymore.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Working in the designs should be fun.  Lots of ways we can go with it.

Hopefully you will have enough room in your drawer for one more.

I noticed mine was getting kind of full.  
View Quote
My Wife did make the comment that we have a lot of T-shirts from a high school in Wyoming.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
@guns762 please PM me the mailing address for my check!

C'mon guys & gals! Let's get this ball rolling!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#9]
Live agronomy display would be great.

Might want to check out the Pegasus Models 1/32 MLEV-5 Mars exploration vehicle for inspiration.  One of the high end builds I saw at Wonderfest incorporated actual animated computer screens in the cockpit, which really sold the illusion.  At 1/3rd scale you should have no trouble using cheap used smart phones or tablets as animated computer monitors.  

Randy Cooper's MLEV Hopper Finished

You could film students doing Mars colonist tasks on a simple full scale set and mount old smartphones/tablets inside of large to mid scale models to populate them with live action video.  This would be similar to a technique used in many pre-CGI movies of mounting a rear-projection screen inside a miniature, such as the distant shots of Kirk and Scotty in the spacepod in Star Trek The Motion Picture, see 3:42 and 6:09:

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
In!

Can we get a Matt Damon, martian grave somewhere in a mural?   Just for reasons?  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
In!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, I have news for you.

There is now an annual Space Conference in Austin, TX. Link

Any chance your students would be in the Cities in Space competition?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Subscribed, and in for a T shirt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Most people (even Mars enthusiasts) tend to forget the realities of the being on the surface. And yes, growing plants will help people's morale and mental health, but there will be windows on the wall, rather than greenhouses.

It's also amusing to me that most of the rocks on Mars that have been "cleaned" by rovers are white or blue. Once we give it a good dusting, Mars may not be the "red planet" anymore.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Good notes to remember.  I wonder if the greenhouse style is more for the people and their mental health rather than for the plants.  Maybe a more tinted glass would be appropriate?

Huh, .....cool.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
@guns762 please PM me the mailing address for my check!

C'mon guys & gals! Let's get this ball rolling!
View Quote

You're the best Frank.  Let me get my feet under myself on this before we start sending checks.  

I'll try to IM you next week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SilasB:
In!

Can we get a Matt Damon, martian grave somewhere in a mural?   Just for reasons?  
View Quote

Morbid, but probably a good idea.  We will see.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#18]
when the T-Shirts are designed, I'll be in for a couple!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, I have news for you.

There is now an annual Space Conference in Austin, TX. Link

Any chance your students would be in the Cities in Space competition?
View Quote
That is pretty cool, but I'm guessing no on that.  Long ways to go.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope we get to see some Air force, Nasa ,Boeing ,  Tesla and blue Origin guys in here. Great as always guns!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]

There you go!  Perfect.  Now I just need to find a big enough clear strong tube for the base.
View Quote
You can buy clear PVC pipe, but I'm not sure how easy it is to source in your area.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#22]
In on 2!

Sorry, went out for lunch today.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#23]
In.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#24]

What's best about Arfcom, is that we will get excellent data to work with and make our display as realistic as possible.  I'd much rather be able to explain to students why the greenhouses won't be clear, than have the display not be realistic.
View Quote
If you're going for realism, then skip the falcon heavy and go with Starship. Heavy will never make it to Mars since (among other reasons) it doesn't have the right kind of engines to harvest fuel on mars for a return trip, while the Raptor engines on Starship should be able to utilize in situ methane for its fuel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Glad to see this years thread started!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I wish my kids had you as a teacher.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:
You can buy clear PVC pipe, but I'm not sure how easy it is to source in your area.
View All Quotes

There you go!  Perfect.  Now I just need to find a big enough clear strong tube for the base.
I've bought 1/2" and 3/4", but we are going to need something like 18" if possible.  That or we need to find a clear bucket, or something similar.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I spotted this in my garage.....  hmmmm, I'll bet we could cut several in half and use them for "green houses/habitats."  Maybe light them up inside?

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I've bought 1/2" and 3/4", but we are going to need something like 18" if possible.  That or we need to find a clear bucket, or something similar.
View All Quotes

At that size, all I've seen is about $500 per lineal foot (18" dia). A little spendy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By SCW: Thanks for the mention, this could be a cool one.  I have access to a lot of stuff, so I’ll keep up to date and see if I can contribute at all.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SCW: Thanks for the mention, this could be a cool one.  I have access to a lot of stuff, so I’ll keep up to date and see if I can contribute at all.
Originally Posted By Mech2007: I'll read it over when I get home from work.

I MAY even have some spare parts from the Curiosity Rover laying around home. Not sure. I gave a lot of them away as paperweights.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NostalgiaforInfinity:
If you're going for realism, then skip the falcon heavy and go with Starship. Heavy will never make it to Mars since (among other reasons) it doesn't have the right kind of engines to harvest fuel on mars for a return trip, while the Raptor engines on Starship should be able to utilize in situ methane for its fuel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NostalgiaforInfinity:

What's best about Arfcom, is that we will get excellent data to work with and make our display as realistic as possible.  I'd much rather be able to explain to students why the greenhouses won't be clear, than have the display not be realistic.
I understand what you are saying, but I need to cover the pole, and the Heavy will do that without much extra.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#32]
Originally Posted By GregMc:
At that size, all I've seen is about $500 per lineal foot (18" dia). A little spendy.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GregMc:

Yeah, and we will probably need a couple feet.  I'll bet someone makes a bucket that might work.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Consider this a very excited OST!

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]

I understand what you are saying, but I need to cover the pole, and the Heavy will do that without much extra.  
View Quote
Go retrofuturistic.  Forbidden Planet.  Flying saucers. Martians in manta flyers like in War of the Worlds.  And a great big double wheeled space station.

Put a V2 rocket on that pole.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#35]
since I was "@ed" and in the aerospace industry...in and let me read through this thread for ideas. Donations for certain.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mal_means_bad] [#36]

Yeah, and we will probably need a couple feet.  I'll bet someone makes a bucket that might work.
View Quote
I've never seen a transparent 5 gallon bucket, just translucent.

Large, straight sided, clear carboys are common, could get a couple and cut the ends off, easily hide the splice with structural arches.  Here's one 11" diameter, with maybe 12" of straight wall after cutting it up, $29: Amazon

Run a structural member down the crest of the tube to hide a splice, buy two carboys for every foot of tube and make a round structural element to wrap it around and you increase your diameter.  But by that point it probably makes more sense to buy thin plastic sheet and wrap it around structural elements, make the tube from scratch.

Plexiglass sheet can be heat molded into all sorts of self-supporting shapes.
Blow moulding 1800mmØ acrylic dome. 900mm high hemisphere

Acrylic Drape Forming. Moulding Perspex to any shapes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#37]
@guns762
How many art students do you have this year?
I may be able to offer something up for you guys, but can’t do the 60-80 total from all the classes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Love these threads.

I have a bunch of surplus electronic components from obsoleted products that I can send some of if you are interested. If not for their intended purpose, just for aesthetics or something.
semiconductors, leds, 8 character displays, connectors, naked power supplies, and a bunch of other stuff. PM me when you get into it if you are interested.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Homebrew drape forming plexiglass over a PVC pipe:

HOW TO: Mold or bend acrylic - Bow front aquarium fish tank
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Guns, here is a link to a media cast transcript that explains some of the hurdles with growing food in space and Mars. The topic is further down when Dr.Gioia Massa and Ralph Fritsche enter the discussion. Would probably be a good read for you and your class with respect to your project.

https://www.nasa.gov/mediacast/episode-1-mars

Every once in a while I get to work with some of the experiments in the ISS APH.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#41]
We expect a large planet shattering Kaboom
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
I've never seen a transparent 5 gallon bucket, just translucent.

Large, straight sided, clear carboys are common, could get a couple and cut the ends off, easily hide the splice with structural arches.  Here's one 11" diameter, with maybe 12" of straight wall after cutting it up, $29: Amazon

Run a structural member down the crest of the tube to hide a splice, buy two carboys for every foot of tube and make a round structural element to wrap it around and you increase your diameter.  But by that point it probably makes more sense to buy thin plastic sheet and wrap it around structural elements, make the tube from scratch.

Plexiglass sheet can be heat molded into all sorts of self-supporting shapes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XNvNH6Z_6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TOW92869cg
View Quote
Hmmmmm.....

I suppose we could form our own.  Kids will be so excited when I tell them we get to do it again. .
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
Guns, here is a link to a media cast transcript that explains some of the hurdles with growing food in space and Mars. The topic is further down when Dr.Gioia Massa and Ralph Fritsche enter the discussion. Would probably be a good read for you and your class with respect to your project.

https://www.nasa.gov/mediacast/episode-1-mars

Every once in a while I get to work with some of the experiments in the ISS APH.
View Quote
Thank you!  I'll have a look.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By raysheen:
@guns762
How many art students do you have this year?
I may be able to offer something up for you guys, but can’t do the 60-80 total from all the classes.
View Quote
Well, I'll have about 120.  The 60 or so will probably be mostly all mine that will work on the project.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RoccoOnFire:
Love these threads.

I have a bunch of surplus electronic components from obsoleted products that I can send some of if you are interested. If not for their intended purpose, just for aesthetics or something.
semiconductors, leds, 8 character displays, connectors, naked power supplies, and a bunch of other stuff. PM me when you get into it if you are interested.
View Quote
When we get to those kinds of details,  I'll hit you up.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#47]
In.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#48]
18" white PVC

I do not vouch for the seller I just found them as a cheaper alternative.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#49]
If I were in Wyoming I would buy a donation ticket to an open house night that featured your program just to
see those works

so good of you OP to be the teacher you are
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 6:37:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking forward to the progress reports.

Txl
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top