Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Posted: 8/15/2019 1:02:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762]
It’s that time again!   My first day back is Monday, and the students join us the following Monday.  The project this year is Mission to Mars- Cultivating Our Future from Wyoming to Mars

For the last seven years, ARFCOM has been an essential part of the adventure my students experience with the building of permanent large installation projects here at our high school.   I know that this year will be no different, and our success will be attributable to the incredible help that so many of you provide.
My Art classes will again work with CAD students, Welding students, Woodworking students, and Robotic students to try to create our next display.  I’m hoping with our subject this year, we can get some agronomy students also involved.   For those new to our adventures, roughly 60-80 students from grades 9-12 will work the entire school year to build from scratch a permanent 3D display in an area roughly 13.5’x18.5’.  Some students might only spend an hour working on this, some three weeks,  and some might spend several hours every day the entire year.  This will roughly (some will remember last year’s prediction of $1200, and how off I was by the end, $2700) cost around $2000.   Yeah, let’s try to stay there this year.  The generosity in both funds, equipment, and advice last year made all the difference in being able to spend that much money on such a project.    We will again have to have a t-shirt sale to celebrate the adventure and raise the funds needed.  

Our new build area is the breakout room next to the Agriculture and Robotics rooms.    They came to me last spring, knowing we had few areas left to work in, and asked if we would do something in their area, oriented towards their disciplines.   I will admit, that building a tractor was not at the top of my list of “fun” ideas, but many students were excited about this idea, and once ARFCOM started throwing out ideas(Rover wheels on the tractor-Thanks @Frank_B ), my fun meter spiked substantially.  I’m hoping students will be inspired with the idea of linking cultivating fields in WY, to the eventual cultivating fields on Mars.  

So here is what I’m envisioning right now:
Our new home for this year.  The trophies and banners will all come down.-
13.5ft x 18.5 ft.  Same size as the locomotive area

-Martian and Wyoming landscapes blended across the room-Heart Mountain, fields, desert, to Martian landscape, envirodomes

Our school is on the left in front of the water tower.  

-Probably a 1/3rd scale???? John Deere EV tractor altered adding moving “Rover” wheels.  We need some diagrams for the tractor.

-3D environment with rocks, fields, envirodomes, possible live agronomy display

-Drones scanning fields-one of the Robotics old platforms will/could be used also.

-Rover movement-move across the wall?  

-14 foot tall? SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket/launch surrounding the support beam (bottom portion lit up with clear lights simulating launch?).

As with past years, I’m sure this will be altered a bit as the adventure proceeds, and ARFCOM adds to ideas.   Our team of students has changed of course, and we will be missing our lead Robotics student who went so far above and beyond what was expected last year.   Hopefully we find someone to fill his shoes.   I should have back several of my lead builders again.  I ran the idea by them a week ago, and they were excited to get started.  

Please share any ideas you might come up with!   Even if we don’t use it, the ideas can spur discussion, and lead to new thoughts.    The brainstorming ARFCOM provides is always one of the most interesting and important aspects of this process.

Here is last year’s thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/1-3rd-Scale-17ft-Marine-One-Helicopter-Project-ThreadUpdate-6-17pg54-magazine-article-/5-2133113/

Previous adventure....
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ALL-ABOARD-1-3rd-scale-Baldwin-4-4-0-Locomotive-Update-5-24pg29-The-End-is-here-Video-/5-2025503/

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
In!

Love following these.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Tweet Elon and see if he'll lend you anything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Woohoo! Looking forward to this one!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#4]
These threads are always awesome! Your students are truly lucky to have you.
In on page 1.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Subscribed! Cant wait!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Subscribed.  Looking forward to another awesome build thread.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#7]
In for another great school year.

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
@stryker
can we get fundraising approved so we can get ahead of the curve?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I might have passed school if you were my teacher.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#10]
In for more awesome!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The greenhouse buildings are wrong.
Mars atmosphere is 1% of Earth. Living spaces (even ones humans only visit rarely) must hold in the air, and that means holding in 99% of that pressure.
Also, greenhouses would let in nearly all the radiation hitting the surface. The plants may survive it, but people will not want to accumulate radiation damage while "farming".
And the Sun provides only about 60% of the sunlight that Earth gets. Again, the plants may survive, but they (and us) will be safer and healthier indoors.

Tunnel farming for the win!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
In on 1!   This gonna be good!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Tag, this and NOLO threads are the best on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_of_Orion] [#18]
real Sunset on Mars.

During sunset the path of the sun light passes through more of the thin atmosphere and resulting in blue sky for the same reason our sky is blue here on Earth.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j_hooker] [#19]
In one one! Looking forward to the build Ive been following along since the Viking ship, well, right after it. RIP Nordic ship, it has been H1B’d for other projects
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's what I'm thinking on the SpaceX Heavy.  The structural pillar would be surrounded by PVC pipe to form the rocket body.  The PVC would be durable and resist damage from people bumping into it.  I was also thinking putting a clear tube at the bottom and filling it with roundish balls, filled with lights to simulate a launch?  Not sure that's possible, but we can look into it.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Mars atmosphere is 1% of Earth. Living spaces (even ones humans only visit rarely) must hold in the air, and that means holding in 99% of that pressure.
Also, greenhouses would let in nearly all the radiation hitting the surface. The plants may survive it, but people will not want to accumulate radiation damage while "farming".
And the Sun provides only about 60% of the sunlight that Earth gets. Again, the plants may survive, but they (and us) will be safer and healthier indoors.

View Quote
Good notes to remember.  I wonder if the greenhouse style is more for the people and their mental health rather than for the plants.  Maybe a more tinted glass would be appropriate?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j_hooker] [#22]
You could use cotton,  LED lights, fiber optics to look like ignition.

How to make fire simulation
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm moist!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#24]
In on 1!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:16:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leisure_Shoot] [#25]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll be more than happy to donate for this. Can we get a staff approved status for fund raising?

Any plans for a Martian movie marathon for inspiration? A Mars attacks or Carrie Ann Moss shower scene diorama would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By j_hooker:
You could use cotton,  LED lights, fiber optics to look like ignition.
https://twistedsifter.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/exploding-model-star-wars-ships-using-cotton-balls-and-leds-10.jpg?w=800&h=800

How to make fire simulation
View Quote
There you go!  Perfect.  Now I just need to find a big enough clear strong tube for the base.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#28]
This will be awesome as usual!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]
IN! Awesome OP!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#31]
You are teaching these kids way more than what they get in other classes
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
real Sunset on Mars.

https://i.imgur.com/b3DmUUZ.jpg

During sunset the path of the sun light passes through more of the thin atmosphere and resulting in blue sky for the same reason our sky is blue here on Earth.
View Quote
That is a cool photo!  Might have to see about incorporating that into the display.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Radiation protection.

The main concern is Ionizing radiation.  Materials high in Hydrogen are good at blocking such radiation.  That's things like Water and polyethylene plastic.  Rock also works but you need about 10-11 yards thick and water only needs about 1 yard of thickness.  I don't know about the thickness of the plastic needed.

I think plants could be grown on the surface with a "green house" designed with "Medium" radiation protection in mind... and maybe a little supplemental lighting. Something like these tanks Cody is messing around with.

Chicken Hole "Mars" Base Ep. 2: Getting Tanks

As for human habitation... those would likely be buried by rock or be surrounded by or even embedded within water storage tanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#34]
OST.

I think it would be cool if @ORARGB, @SCW, and @Mech2007 posted here with some ideas perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Sorry in advance but, I just have to do it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#37]
IN

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#38]
https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/021/665/DpQ9YJl.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/021/665/DpQ9YJl.jpg

What's best about Arfcom, is that we will get excellent data to work with and make our display as realistic as possible.  I'd much rather be able to explain to students why the greenhouses won't be clear, than have the display not be realistic.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
Radiation protection.

The main concern is Ionizing radiation.  Materials high in Hydrogen are good at blocking such radiation.  That's things like Water and polyethylene plastic.  Rock also works but you need about 10-11 yards thick and water only needs about 1 yard of thickness.  I don't know about the thickness of the plastic needed.

I think plants could be grown on the surface with a "green house" designed with "Medium" radiation protection in mind... and maybe a little supplemental lighting. Something like these tanks Cody is messing around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAyxaBJoxRA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDZtzzesXPg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI3gGEDi3jo

As for human habitation... those would likely be buried by rock or be surrounded by or even embedded within water storage tanks.
View Quote
So, tunnel entrances in cliffs.

Plastic tubes for "greenhouses".  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#40]

In for the T-shirt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
OST.

I think it would be cool if @ORARGB, @SCW, and @Mech2007 posted here with some ideas perhaps?
View Quote
I'll read it over when I get home from work.

I MAY even have some spare parts from the Curiosity Rover laying around home. Not sure. I gave a lot of them away as paperweights.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
OST.

View Quote
Thanks for the mention, this could be a cool one.  I have access to a lot of stuff, so I’ll keep up to date and see if I can contribute at all.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#43]
In!
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

I'll read it over when I get home from work.

I MAY even have some spare parts from the Curiosity Rover laying around home. Not sure. I gave a lot of them away as paperweights.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#45]
IN
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#46]
OP, any plans to include the Opportunity Rover?
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By elcope:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-96.gif

In for the T-shirt.
View Quote
Working in the designs should be fun.  Lots of ways we can go with it.

Hopefully you will have enough room in your drawer for one more.

I noticed mine was getting kind of full.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag for amazing awesomeness.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:49:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#49]
Originally Posted By slick556:
OP, any plans to include the Opportunity Rover?
View Quote
Yup, definitely a possibility.  I'm hoping we could make that move across the wall, then back?  Much depends on how much the Robotics dept can do for us this year.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag

These threads are epic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top