Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2001 3:24:26 PM EDT
Ok guys i just bought a P.W.A. Pre-ban complete rifle with all the evil features Collapsable Carbine Stocks, Bayonet Lug, etc..
I happened to walk in at a local gun shop and it was just sitting there the price tag was 1299.99 it is like 99% condition like brand new out of the factory so i can't passed the opportunity.
What my question to you guys is that anyone who have P.W.A. brand AR ever have had problems with it? and do you think 1299.99 was a good deal for a 99% to New pre-ban AR even tho it's not a Colt or a Bushy?
Also i have read some of the post on this board that mentioned that P.W.A. no longer exist so if the lower reciever happened to get busted is there another company that replaces the parts?
Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty stiff for a PWA, but if it functions fine, you're not any better or worse off for owning a PWA over anything else if you plan to shoot the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree that's kinda steep.
But PWA is at least as good as most.
I see no real difference between mine and a neighbors Colt.
Aside from the pins and stamping on the side.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That is pretty high IMO but a good lower none the less.
The only problem is PWA never made complete rifles, so just as long as this was explained and the dealer didn't feed you full of BS then that is fine. It just sounded like you thought it was a factory gun the way you explained it. Also, be sure to check the SN because all PWA lowers are Marked "Commando" even the post ban ones. I believe the cuttoff was around 35,222 all numbers higher than that are supposed to be post ban. See for yourself.

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2494/serial.html

Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
PWA=Good.  Kinda high though, but it should be a good rifle none the less.  Rock River bought PWA out I don't know if they would do repair work on PWA stuff or not.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, memories. My first AR was a PWA lower with a Colt upper. I bought it 10 or 11 tears ago. I never had any problems with it but I did'nt like the fit between the receivers, kinda loose.
I sold it to a co-worker who still has it. I've been thinking about buying it back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Door Kicker:
The only problem is PWA never made complete rifles, so just as long as this was explained and the dealer didn't feed you full of BS then that is fine. It just sounded like you thought it was a factory gun the way you explained it. Also, be sure to check the SN because all PWA lowers are Marked "Commando" even the post ban ones. I believe the cuttoff was around 35,222 all numbers higher than that are supposed to be post ban. See for yourself.

View Quote

Nope the Dealer did not explained to me about P.W.A. that it was never made into a complete rifle.  Also the serial number is 41XXXX i think, hmmm i will have to chat with the dealer when i pick up the rifle tommorrow.  But if it was a post-ban put together as a pre-ban why would a legit business try to get screwed by selling customer an illegal put together rifle?
Link Posted: 5/13/2001 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The dealer is either:
A complete clueless moron as far as AR15 legal issues go;
or;
A complete fucking rip-off muthfucka who knows all about pre - post ban issues and took you for a mark.

[url]http://old.ar15.com/legal/serialNumberList.asp[url]

There are other websites that have either more info or info that has been updated.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#8]
That serial number is in the postban range.  

However, to answer your original question, PWA is a [b]rock solid[/b].  It's just as good as a Bushmaster and is just as good (or better) than a Colt.

People look down on them because there's no such thing as a PWA gun--  it's always a parts gun.

But, if you are a shooter and don't want to pay $2k for a Colt A2 gov't or somesuch, it's just fine.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#10]
The company that owns the PWA name makes great lower receivers.  I have one in the same serial # range, it's post-ban.  Richard at Action Arms sells the complete lowers for around $ 240.00.  At $ 1300, a total ripoff.   All these companies are casting or forging a lower and buying their parts from the same few companies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Door Kicker:

View Quote

Nope the Dealer did not explained to me about P.W.A. that it was never made into a complete rifle.  Also the serial number is 41XXXX i think, hmmm i will have to chat with the dealer when i pick up the rifle tommorrow.  But if it was a post-ban put together as a pre-ban why would a legit business try to get screwed by selling customer an illegal put together rifle?
View Quote

Because some dealers don't care or don't want to care.I had my local dealer say something to the effect of,"Hey,I just sell the guns I buy off people,why is it my place to make sure they are in legal configuration?" I tell the truth,he said something close to that.

I know you thought he was a gun dealer and you would be safe buying from him instead of a individual but you should still check it out,even though alot of people,me included think that if a dealer isn't smart enough or does'nt care enough to make sure the gun is legit he should'nt be in buisness.
You would'nt believe some of the stuff dealers have tried selling me KNOWING that it was'nt legit and giving me some crap story to go along with it......but I will save those for a "what kind of BS has a dealer told you thread".
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
love my PWA- have an m4 upper on it, but if the dealer is trying to sell it to you as a preban- you need to get your money back or demand that HE change the upper out on it- you dont want to do it yourself or even carry it out of the shop like that- hell, if the dealer is somehow trying to get you into buying an illegal weapon- he could bust you as soon as you give him your money!

View Quote

Get your money back.

Changing the upper is the path of least resistance but then you will own a $1300 used post-ban,when you could of bought a new Bushmaster postban for under $800
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top