Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 1:43:38 AM EDT
If heaven is such a great place as depicted in the Bible, with no sorrow, no sickness, no loneliness, etc.

And you are a Christian whose salvation is assured...

Then it's logical to conclude that to die is something a Christian is looking forward to.

Are you looking forward to it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn Clean_cut, everyone wants to stay here on earth for as long as they can this is apprenticeship training for hell.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell, no!  It is also our responsibility as Christians to live our lifes to the fulest.  GOd did not create us for nothing, everybody has a purpose here, on earth.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#3]
clean_cut - what the hell is going on - three threads about serial killers then you pose this question? Damn man, you're freaking me out. [>:/]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
No and have you considered talking to someone?
[:)]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Not wishing for it - just not afraid of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking forward to what comes after it.

As for the timing, I'll leave that up to my Heavenly Father.

That's one of the great things about the resurrection.  Yeshua came back and [i]showed[/i] his followers that there is more than the grave.  Examine the difference it made in their lives.  Peter went from hiding in terror to preaching boldly at the temple, not being intimidated by the beatings that were coming.  At the end of his life when they were getting ready to crucify him, he requested to be crucified upside down, because he wasn't worthy to die in the same manner as his Lord.  There was a man who KNEW because of what he had seen.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:54:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont, I just know its going to happen one day....

I do know a few people who call themselves christians, who say they want to be maryters, that is all they talk about, so I told them hey, if its such a good thing, then go on over to some Islamic country, stand on a street corner and talk about Jesus, and how Islam is fake and allah is a joke and a s.o.b and mohammhad was the result of inbreeding...

They will not go and do that, so much for wanting to be a martyer.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Ummmmm...

Thinking about death a lot lately?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:45:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a born-again Christian. Saved by Grace through [b]faith[/b].

I have [b]faith[/b] that what the Bible says is true. That there is a God, that He created this world, that man sinned against His Creator, that the Creator sacrificed His own Son to make things right, and that if I accept these things on [b]faith[/b] and live my life accordingly, upon my death I will spend the rest of eternity with Him in "heaven."

Are there times when I wonder, "What if...?"

Yep. I pray the Lord doesn't hold it against me, because it's not that I'm doubting...just thinking things through and wondering.

Soooo, am I looking forward to physical death? No. Do I have an understanding that I [b]will[/b] die one day? Yes.

As an aside, last night (12/30/03) I visited a co-worker of mine who is facing just such a situation. In September, he kept getting headaches, so after a few weeks he went to the doctor. After a bunch of tests, he was told he had numerous brain tumors and that treatment had to start immediately if he wanted to live. He started radiation and during subsequent tests, lung cancer was found as well. He was told chemo could hold off the lung cancer for a while, but only a few months, and that he'd be sick the whole time.

He decided to scrap treatments of all kinds and face his fate. He is 52. He has not eaten in two weeks. He may not have more than a few days left. He is not a believer. All this pains me, as I always liked him and wish he'd make the same choices as I did. However, he took advantage of another aspect of what the Bible claims to be true:

My friend Everett exercised his free will to choose his own path, no matter what that was.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't fear it.

I am enjoying life right now. IMMENSELY so.

But I can tell you this -

If I compare my thinking and attitude now to when I was twenty years old, I realize this life is ultimately hollow and empty, full of sorrows interrupted by occasional joy, and eternal life with my Father in Heaven is something to look forward to.

I think of it this way - God gives man about 70 years to get sick of this life, and be ready and eager for eternity with Him (provided said man has met God's requirements for Heaven, and received His free gift)

That said, any mook tries to take my life had better be ready to meet his OWN Maker.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Find a nice Christian girl with a great ass and big boobies and settle down, man.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#13]
God will take ME when he NEEDS me... thank GOD for small favors!!![:)]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#14]
A very interesting question, clean_cut.

As a Christian, I can truly say that I have no "fear" of death.  But I'm in no hurry.

Like Paul, I can say:

[b]Philippians 1:21   For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.[/b]

It is clear that going to heaven isn't the only thing that God has planned for a Christian.  If that were so, then, immediately upon salvation, we would die and go to heaven.  But instead, God leaves us on earth to do His will.

I can honestly say that I have no fear of death.  I don't want to suffer.  But to just die, would only mean that I will wake up in Glory.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#15]
O, Death
O, Death
Won't you spare me over til another year
Well what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands takin' hold of me
Well I am death, none can except
I'll open the door to heaven or hell
Whoa, death someone would pray
Could you wait to call me another day
The children prayed, the preacher preached
Time and mercy is out of your reach
I'll fix your feet til you cant walk
I'll lock your jaw til you cant talk
I'll close your eyes so you can't see
This very I, come and go with me
I'm death I come to take the soul
Leave the body and leave it cold
To draw up the flesh off of the frame
Dirt and worm both have a claim
O, Death
O, Death
Won't you spare me over til another year
My mother came to my bed
Placed a cold towel upon my head
My head is warm my feet are cold
Death is a-movin upon my soul
Oh, death how you're treatin' me
You've close my eyes so I can't see
Well you're hurtin' my body
You make me cold
You run my life right outta my soul
Oh death please consider my age
Please don't take me at this stage
My wealth is all at your command
If you will move your icy hand
Oh the young, the rich or poor
Hunger like me you know
No wealth, no ruin, no silver no gold
Nothing satisfies me but your soul
O, death
O, death
Wont you spare me over til another year

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Looking forward to death?

There are many ways to phrase this question depending on what you are asking. This one does not make sense to me.

All that I have has been graciously given to me from the Lord. Of all these gifts, my life is my most precious. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.

I aspire to be a good steward with the gifts He has given to me.

When He decides it is time for me to return my gift of life, I will look forward to meeting Him in heaven. Till then, I look forward to all that this gift has to offer.

- LS
(edited to cap the H's)
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Ready to dye? shit son I've been dying since I was born.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#18]
When you die and discover you are slowly getting churned into worm shit and not much else happens then what will you do?

Why the hell would you think your salvation is assured?  Did God send a promissary note to you? Going to church, "eating with jews" and treating the rest of the non-jesus freak world like crap may just piss God off.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When you die and discover you are slowly getting churned into worm shit and not much else happens then what will you do?

Why the hell would you think your salvation is assured?  Did God send a promissary note to you? Going to church, "eating with jews" and treating the rest of the non-jesus freak world like crap may just piss God off.
View Quote

huh? [noclue]

- LS

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

[i]If[/i] this was one's fate, I doubt he will (a) discover it, or (b) do anything about it.

View Quote

God assured it.

He did send a promissory in His Word.

Going to church would tick Him off?  Eating with Jews (His chosen people) would, too?  I have my doubts.

I can't recall treating "non-jesus freaks" like crap.  I remember where I came from and the only advantage I have has come from saying "Yes" to His offer of grace and forgiveness.  Other than that, there isn't anything special about me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why the hell would you think your salvation is assured?  Did God send a promissary note to you?
View Quote

Well, yes, sort of.

"eating with jews"
View Quote

"Thank you, thank you very much. I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet."  [:D]

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I just read an interesting book on the subject of the afterlife, completely secular, but nevertheless interesting. It was called "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom.

I've often wondered about the flip side of this coin.

If atheist/agnostics only believe in the here and now, and believe that life itself is an accident of nature, why don't they "off themselves" with regularity? Without hope of eternal life all human interaction is completely devoid of meaning, so why wait?

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Find a nice Christian girl with a great ass and big boobies and settle down, man.  
View Quote

Yeah, most of them christian girls won't have sex until they're married and that, and you'll never have to worry about them whoring around on you.. atleast i don't think so.. and most of them christian gals are cooties wiffa bootie.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I dont fear dying...although Id rather have the choice as to the means.

All of that is entirely up to God.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Seriously,

You doing OK [b]clean_cut[/b] ?

Recent topics include:

-NASTY little girl
--Christians, are you looking forward to death?
How do you define sanity?
-Jesus Christ is "home"
-This is a true account...enjoy WARNING: DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH
-Thread of Death

wtf?

- LS

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If atheist/agnostics only believe in the here and now, and believe that life itself is an accident of nature, why don't they "off themselves" with regularity? Without hope of eternal life all human interaction is completely devoid of meaning, so why wait?

View Quote

Cuz the whole point of denying the existence of God is so they can live, literally "like hell" with no accountability in THIS life.

"Offing themselves" would be counterproductive, to say the least.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seriously,

You doing OK [b]clean_cut[/b] ?

Recent topics include:

-NASTY little girl
--Christians, are you looking forward to death?
How do you define sanity?
-Jesus Christ is "home"
-This is a true account...enjoy WARNING: DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH
-Thread of Death

wtf?

- LS

View Quote

I just like to delve into the psychological sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Of course. I live in CA.

CW
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Have any of the more religous among us actually seen God? had God speak with them personally?  Met God in person and heard the words, " you are going to heaven" come out of God's mouth?  If God is such a nice guy, why does he charge for Bibles?  The eternal ruler of the universe needs $23.99 from me?  Things in heaven may not be as good as you think.

I have an old Porsche owner's manual in my collection of car stuff, no matter how many times I read it, I still do not own a Porsche and I do not get a Porsche when I die.  Why would reading a book, printed by the same people that print owner's manuals make you think you are going to Heaven?

If you believe reading a book about God and his friends means you get a trip to heaven, then you should just as easily believe reading the VCR intructions gets you a VCR. If the premise you base your faith in God is correct, we just need to find owner's manuals to whatever we want and reread them until the goods show up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Contemptuous, lonegunman?

- LS
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Have any of the more religous among us actually seen God? had God speak with them personally?  Met God in person and heard the words, " you are going to heaven" come out of God's mouth?  
View Quote

Have you actually seen what causes the common cold? Do you still beleivee in the common cold???

If God is such a nice guy, why does he charge for Bibles?  The eternal ruler of the universe needs $23.99 from me?  Things in heaven may not be as good as you think.
View Quote

Actually, its a pretty good deal. I give God $23.99 for His Bible, and He gives me oxygen to breathe at no charge. Freakin' bargain of the century.

Why would reading a book, printed by the same people that print owner's manuals make you think you are going to Heaven?
View Quote

It doesn't.

But this kinda blows you "paying God $23.99" foolishness out of the water. Did you get the Porsche maual for free? No, genrally you have to pay for it to pay the printing companies expenses. Same with the Bible. God wrote it, but humans print it. You can get Bible for free when YOU work for free, and expect no pay for your employment. Silly rabbit. Tricks are for kids.

If you believe reading a book about God and his friends means you get a trip to heaven, then you should just as easily believe reading the VCR intructions gets you a VCR. If the premise you base your faith in God is correct, we just need to find owner's manuals to whatever we want and reread them until the goods show up.
View Quote

Redundant silliness. See above.

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I've been thinking the same thing lately. We obsessed with the MATERIAL world and all it's trappings. Wishing for a long lifeis just plain selfish!!!!!

Live a good life, make a positive impact- and then leave!!!!!

Don't hang around for 20 useless years- draining bank accouns swith health care costs. Who wants 10+ years of 'it hurts to pee' , and waiting for someone to change your diaper???
If heaven is such a great place- you should be in a hurry to get there. Doing otherwise shows lack of faith/convictions and is selfish- you're using resources that would be better spent on the new generation- move on when it's your time.

Who the hell wants to die in bed at age 85????

"...and how can man die better, than facing fearful odds; for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his gods?"

Steven Checo
OEF 21 Dec 2002
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I have seen what causes the common, it is called a virus.  So a cold is real.

You still have not answered the question.  Reading a bible and understanding it contents is supposed to get you into heaven.  It is a book written by men, printed by men and contains stories created by men.  There is no proof the writers of the original stories saw or spoke with God.  If reading and understanding the bible gets you into heaven then reading and understanding an owner's manual should get you the item in question.

This is a valid question, dodging the answer does not make it invalid.  2000 years ago people believed the earth was made up of 4 elements, it was flat and it was the center of everything orbiting in the sky.  They were wrong on nearly every single thing they believed, and they wrote the bible.

So, if you believe the bible then you should just as easily believe in dragons, demons and all sorts of other stupid crap.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So, if you believe the bible then you should just as easily believe in dragons, demons and all sorts of other stupid crap.
View Quote

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'

...especially when you know [b]nothing[/b] about the topic.

- LS
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#35]
As a Christian I do not especially look forward to the demise of my physical being; however, I must say there's something appealing about the idea of sending it back to the earth from whence it came.  OTOH, spiritually, I gotta be curious about the "land" that lies ahead after this life.  I think most people, regardless of their stance on religion, can understand the desire to "find out what's out there".

The question that tugs at me WRT atheists is, "Unbelievers, why aren't you out there raping and pillaging?" Well, maybe not literally "raping and pillaging"...but close...since this is your ONE big chance.

Another question that occurs to me is why anybody would exercise blind faith in the idea that once you die you simply cease to exist. As a Christian, I trust that one guy actually came back and therefore I have some evidence of an afterlife. But for the unbeliever, what evidence exists that one just ceases to exist after death? By definition, nobody is going to come back and provide evidence. (That's the basis for my "blind faith" assertion, above.)

IMHO, there is more evidence that one dies and becomes a donut than there is for the idea that one dies and ceases to exist.

BTW, my apologies to you, clean_cut, if I'm contributing to topic hijacking...

Kevin
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Me, I look at the darker side of life and my Christian upbringing. Iv'e never been afraid of death. Im living my life to it fullest, but I am ready when it comes...
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The question that tugs at me WRT atheists is, "Unbelievers, why aren't you out there raping and pillaging?" Well, maybe not literally "raping and pillaging"...but close...since this is your ONE big chance.

Christians didn't invent the concept of life after death.

They just changed it to a warmer clime.

The land of the dead was a land of ice and cold for some 'believers'.  

"Hel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hel was the goddess of the underworlds, Helheim and Niflheim, in Norse mythology. Odin threw Hel there and gave her authority over those who do not die gloriously in battle but of sickness or of old age. She has a body which is half black, half flesh-covered, and appears downcast yet fierce, according to Snorri Sturluson in Gylfaginning. Her dwelling place is the hall Eliudnir. Her servants were Ganglati and Ganglot.

Hel was a daughter of Loki and Angerboda.

Alternatives: Hela, Hell

Helgardh

(Redirected from Helheim)

Helgardh (also known as Hel ("house of mists"), which can be confusing because there is a goddess of the same name) is, in Norse mythology, one of the nine worlds, the abode of the dead, ruled over by Hel. Niflheim is cold and low on the overall order of the universe. It lies beneath Yggdrasil's third root, near Hvergelmir and Nastrond.

Also notice the use of her name in words like hell."
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#38]
It would be interesting just to sneek a peek at HEAVEN & HELL, the AFTER LIFE or whatever YOU think/believe your soul would end up.Some folks I know think there is absolutely NOTHING beyond here.[:\]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I had came Sooooooo close to death several times. I am a chirstian and I do not live for death. if you are saved you are living in life
not in death. I'll explain about one time i came close to death, I bought a registerd MG from kent lomont one Jan day I got a call about my form 4 coming back all approved, some of you know all about waiting on a MG, well got in my truck started down the road excited,
I came to these RR tracks while still moving
I saw a very big outline of a train then I hit my brakes right well I slide right in front of that train I jumped out while the train bearing
down right at my door ran about 18 yards the blam cut that truck in half threw the truck about 15 feet into the air 100 yards down the track; cab too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top