Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 8:20:37 AM EDT
Alright, I've had plenty of the Simmons, BSA, etc...  (and I do have a couple Aimpoints, but I'm not talking about red dots)

Anyway, I really need to learn how to do "all things" as related to scopes.  I have a Tasco Super Sniper 10x42 Mildot.  I know, it's not a Leupold, but it's not a BSA either.  For most, it's a love-hate relationship - you either absolutely HATE them, or like them.  Getting past that (if you CAN'T get past it, just assume I have a Leupold), I bought 30mm Leupold rings for it.  

Whenever I go to the range with a new scoped rifle (my M14, my Rem 700, etc), I always seem to have to ask one of the range guys to zero it because I am so poor at doing it.

I have a cheap BSA boresighter that at least lets me get it on paper at 100 yrds without firing it, but from there, I'm lost (for the most part).  

Can anyone point me to a good primer for zeroing scopes like mine?

How about a good primer for using a mildot scope?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
bolt gun

remove bolt
mount scope
look through barrel at 100 yard target
zero the bore on target
look through the scope
adjust crosshairs on target
test fire
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I appreciate the reply.

Actually I was hoping to find info that was a little more in-depth regarding zeroing a scope - esp. once it's on paper, and then how to use the mildots.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an [s]Aimpoint[/s] Aimshot laser boresight. I wait until the sun goes down. I can hardly wait until they come out with a green (daylight) boresight.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on what kind of ammo/rifle/caliber youre using. For proper use of a MILDOT, a range-finder, quality ammunition (not perfect, but consistent loads. consistency is key), and chronograph are all importaint things to keep on hand.

Mil's are a standard measurement of bullet-drop. Let me illustrate:
[img]http://www.x-plane.org/users/eder/mildot1.jpg[/img]

With this load and muzzle velocity, the ranges marked above will coinside with your bullets trajectory.

MilDot's aren't for target shooting purpouses per se', but rather for times when you need consistent perciseon at varying ranges (Such as hunting, sniping, or saving the need to re-zero when changing ranges/shooting-distances while target shooting).
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
get a chrony, make up a good load, get the speed, use the jbm ballistic calculator, get the moa, minute of angle comeups for all ranges in 100 yard increments to 1100 yards, shoot for a bullet speed of 1675 or so, and use the comeups, use the mildot to range the target, and adjust for the comeups by using the elevation turret, you will soon memorise the comeups for your particular rifle, lemme know if you need help, i shoot past half mile regularly, i can even make the comeup charts and mildot stuff for you, also,get a mildot master, this will help you find range
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
ps, your scope will work fine
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It depends on what kind of ammo/rifle/caliber youre using. For proper use of a MILDOT, a range-finder, quality ammunition (not perfect, but consistent loads. consistency is key), and chronograph are all importaint things to keep on hand.

Mil's are a standard measurement of bullet-drop. Let me illustrate:
[url]http://www.x-plane.org/users/eder/mildot1.jpg[/url]

With this load and muzzle velocity, the ranges marked above will coinside with your bullets trajectory.

MilDot's aren't for target shooting purpouses per se', but rather for times when you need consistent perciseon at varying ranges (Such as hunting, sniping, or saving the need to re-zero when changing ranges/shooting-distances while target shooting).
View Quote

Thanks.

The scope will be on a Remington 700 PSS in .308, which I'd like to have zeroed for 200 yards.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks.

The scope will be on a Remington 700 PSS in .308, which I'd like to have zeroed for 200 yards.
View Quote

For a remmy in .308, there should be tons of different load information and bullet-drop tables all over the net.

Speaking of which, anyone know if 'Mil-Dot Master' is any good?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I always start at 25 yards, get the windage on and elevation an inch or two high.  Then move on to 100 or 200 yards, or whatever.  This works well with non-bolt guns, since there is no convenient way to sight down the bore with, say, an AR or M1A.  Works well with a bolt gun, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top