Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 4:15:42 PM EDT
I have a B&N $50 Gift card to spend.  Need recommendations, preferably non-fiction.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The Ballad of Carl Drega
Send in the Waco Killers
Unintended Consequences
When I was a kid this was a free country
Dial 911 and die
Dumbing us down
101 things to do til the revolution
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything by Michael Moore
OK. I'll let myself into the penalty box.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anything by Michael Moore

OK. I'll let myself into the penalty box.
View Quote

Take this as your official notice of being kicked off the posting team. Thank you. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Civil War Guns by William Edwards ($40)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Armor by John Steakly

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
"Grant Moves South" by Bruce Catton

"The Gettysburg Campaign"  by Coddington
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

There is a little 'light' reading...  both are 1200+ pages, but worth the read, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a "Black's Law Dictionary."  The only truly citable dictionary.  I use it every so often in my practice, and I learn something new every day that I do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Point of impact by Stephan Hunter.
Time to kil by Stephen hunter
Black Light by.... Just read all of his books.

CH
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Guys,

Appreciate the help so far.  I just don't read fiction.  Other than Tom Clancy.  There's too much non-fiction out there to read, to spend time reading fiction.  

No offense intended, just not my cup of tea.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Blackhawk Down, if you haven't already read it!

John
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. - Mackay

Written 100 years ago, still applicable to our time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The South Was Right! can't remember the author's name.

The Federalist Papers

Currahee!

Charlie Rangers

Devil's Guard by Elford (good luck)
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Blackhawk Down

Hot Springs
Havana
Dirty White Boys
In Country
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
"The Enemy within" is coming out next week.
Savage is always good reading.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Flyboys by James Bradley

It's the story of 9 WWII U.S. Navy and Marine Corps Aviators who were shot down over Chichi Jima and their fates. Hint, the only survivor (once the youngest Naval Aviator in US history) went on to become President of The United States.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Mutiny on the Bounty, it is one of my favorite books and none of the movies derived from it even come close to the book.  It give a great glimps of 17th century naval doctrine although it may be British.  I can see where a lot of our Navy traditions come from.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Am I the only one who enjoyed Shadow Warriors. By Tom Clancy?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:16:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Any of the Vietnam battle histories from Keith William Nolan.

Makes you feel like you are right there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I still stand by Black's.  It is the only law dictionary that you can cite in court, and it will teach you much about the law.  Moreover, it will last you the rest of your life (unless you are the type who will be in constant trouble).

On top of that, if you are ever questioned by a lawyer about something, and you can safely say that it is not referenced in Black's, then you WILL watch him cringe.

Good enough?  The cost of a Black's is about the same as your gift.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Get this one - you won't be disappointed!

[url]http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=41DXWLPJVM&isbn=0871138549&itm=1[/url]

Charlie Wilson's War -- By George Crile

From the Publisher

In a little over a decade, two events have transformed the world we live in: the collapse of the Soviet Union and the rise of militant Islam. Charlie Wilson's War is the untold story behind the last battle of the Cold War and how it fueled the new jihad. George Crile tells how Charlie Wilson, a maverick congressman from east Texas, conspired with a rogue CIA operative to launch the biggest, meanest, and most successful covert operation in the Agency's history.

In the early 1980s, after a Houston socialite turned Wilson's attention to the ragged band of Afghan "freedom fighters" who continued, despite overwhelming odds, to fight the Soviet invaders, the congressman became passionate about their cause. At a time when Ronald Reagan faced a total cutoff of funding for the Contra war, Wilson, who sat on the all-powerful House Appropriations Committee, managed to procure hundreds of millions of dollars to support the mujadiheen. The arms were secretly procured and distributed with the aid of an out-of-favor CIA operative, Gust Avrakotos, whose working-class Greek-American background made him an anomaly among the Ivy League world of American spies. Nicknamed "Dr. Dirty," the blue-collar James Bond was an aggressive agent who served on the front lines of the Cold War where he learned how to stretch the Agency's rules to the breaking point.

Avrokotos handpicked a staff of CIA outcasts to run his operation: "Hilly Billy," the logistics wizard who could open an unnumbered Swiss bank account for the U.S. government in twelve hours when others took months; Art Alper, the grandfatherly demolitions expert from the Technical Services Division who passed on his dark arts to the Afghans; Mike Vickers, the former Green Beret who created a systematic plan to turn a rabble of shepherds into an army of techno Holy warriors.

Moving from the back rooms of the Capitol, to secret chambers at Langley, to arms-dealers conventions, to the Khyber Pass, Charlie Wilson's War is brilliantly reported and one of the most detailed and compulsively readable accounts of the inside workings of the CIA ever written.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any of the Vietnam battle histories from Keith William Nolan.

Makes you feel like you are right there.
View Quote

in burkett's book, "STOLEN VALOR", turns out he was a fraud. yea, i was bummed too.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Think you must be thinking of a different guy.  Nolan never made any statements that he was a vet, in fact, his age makes that impossible.  His forward to his 1st book, The Battle for Hue is his story of how he was tired of hearing in high school and college how Vietnam vets were "baby killers."  He wrote that book in 1983, at age 19.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Marine Sniper
Silent Warrior (Marine Sniper 2)
The making of a Marine (Parris Island)
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#27]
all i gotta say is: "SOG, secret wars in cambodia, laos, & vietnam" by john plaster.

'nough said
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#28]
"The Black Rifle"
"The SPIW, the deadliest weapon that never was."
"The Fighting Rifle"
"Small Arms of the World"
"The M16 rifle and its cartridge"
"The Military and Police Sniper"
"Hatcher's Notebook"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top