Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 8:08:19 AM EDT
the brittish airline pilots union is raising hell because the US is demanding armed air marshals on some flights to the US. They say guns and planes are a deadly combination. That a gunshot could cause explosive decompression of a cabin.

Wasn't that proven to be complete bullshit? I beleive most airliners are thin enough that even fragmenting ammo could penetrate the hull but i doubt highly it do anything other than cause a compression leak in the cabin.

Oh well, i guess they would prefer to be blown out of the air by an f16.

mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#1]
This has been gone over a-plenty - their problem is that they've seen [u]Goldfinger[/u] too many times.

There are already "holes" in modern passenger aircraft anyway, they open and close to allow the cabin pressure to be maintained at various altitudes.

They're just a bunch of pussies!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Cabin pentration would be compensated for with no problem.  The cabin pumped full of air at a constant rate.  Outflow valves in the rear of the cabin control the [i]rate of leakage[/i] from the cabin so they would just close a bit more to adjust for a bullet hole or two.

Taking out a window is a bigger problem but it's NOT going to send the aircraft out of control.

More hysterical bullshit from the hoplophobes that have taken over a nation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Stupid ass limey pilots. If you think guns and planes don't mix, then why are you flying? How much simplier can it be made....Okay calm down, it'll be alright. Sorry.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oh well, i guess they would prefer to be blown out of the air by an f16.

mike
View Quote

would be nice ..

but they seem to be going along and playing on our side so far in the gane  .... I will give them the benifit of the doubt..

its no suprise that the brits would go ape shit over this  .. after all guns are even to evil for thier cops to have ..

solution is simple the US had said they will deny landing rights to any airline not in compliance..   economic factors will make then comply ..  

but then if there is a nutcase on board .. landing rights are the last thing on his mind..
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]
They say guns and planes are a deadly combination.
View Quote

Makes you wonder how the "Battle of Britain" would go today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top