Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 12:04:25 AM EDT
I couldn't tell you who the source was on this, as I don't recall where I saw it, but it seems like I saw a comparison study of traffic violations to traffic accidents in the US vs. Europe and there was a dramatic difference.  The study basically said that Europe has fewer accidents because European traffic cops apparently enforce ALL of their laws while some cops here don't.  If everyone who should be ticketed for improper lane travel got ticketed, driving conditions would improve dramtically.

Keep Right Except to Pass:  Am I the only person that gets cheesed off when I come up behind 2 cars traveling the same speed side by side 5 MPH under the speed limit?

Cutting Corners:  In a 16 Wheeler in a tight intersection, OK cause' you can't help it.  If their space, I'll be glad to even back up some if it's required.  Same intersection in an RX7? Not OK.  You're just being lazy.  Keep out of my lane.

I don't think Cops need to go out a nail everybody who accidentally does a bonehead thing as people make mistakes sometimes, but the prevelence of lazy drivers is begining to get to me.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I noticed the idiots have been increasing in very large amounts for the past month on the roads here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a long shift behind the windshield today.
I'll come back with an official Bus Driver's report on idiot's driving around...[:D]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a busy intersection here in town where traffic continually backs up.  You can turn right on red onto a service road and then get on the main road a little further down.  The city has even put up a sign stating:

[size=6][red]DON"T BE DELAYED!!![/red][/size=6]
Turn right on red onto service road for easy access to Airport Blvd.
View Quote

Stupid people still sit at the light waiting for the light to change to green and then turn onto Airport Blvd.  At this intersection, there are about 8 different lights that you would have to sit through if you don't turn right on red.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I drive for a living. 8 to 10 hours a day, everyday. See sig line.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep Right Except to Pass:  Am I the only person that gets cheesed off when I come up behind 2 cars traveling the same speed side by side 5 MPH under the speed limit?
  - Nw -
View Quote

I have to admit that I am one of those people, that IF you are riding the backend of my car, or being an agressive driver and try to pass me, I will purposefully speed up next to a car and go the same speed so you can't get around me. I don't do this all the time,I really am a nice person. lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I see you've been out in the Christmas traffic.  Yes it's worse this time of year.

Just last night going out to dinner, one guy in a pickup was doing a minimum of 80 mph in a 35 mph zone and had to slam and slide to keep from hitting the cars at the light.  He passed me and made it one whole car length ahead of me at the light. Wasn't surprized to see the Dale Earnhart bumper sticker. Funny sideline, my wife says "Uh OH, Dale Ernhart bumper sticker. He's going to cut you off for sure." and he did. Of course, cell phone was in one hand.

One car on the interstate  crossed two lanes to make a right causing about 20 cars to lock their brakes up. Once again, cell phone was in use.

E. TN traffic rule number 1, come to a sudden complete stop while making a right turn then turn your turn signal on.

What scares me is I'm getting use to it.

Tj

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have to admit that I am one of those people, that IF you are riding the backend of my car, or being an agressive driver and try to pass me, I will purposefully speed up next to a car and go the same speed so you can't get around me. I don't do this all the time,I really am a nice person. lol
View Quote

[nono]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
  - Nw -
View Quote

View Quote

Nah, you aren't a bad person for everyone else in Ohio does the same thing.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I call it Florida rules.
Where they wait twenty seconds deciding if its OK to pull out, then WHEN ITS TOO LATE they pull out causing you to slam on the binders.
Happens all the time down here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

And does this pathetic little "revenge" for a perceived wrong make you feel better?  I'm glad you get so much satisfaction from impeding the progress of others and upholding the holy speed limit.  Are you, by chance, the same person that always parks their cart sideways in the aisle at wal-mart and stops to talk on their cell phone?

Move on with your life, buddy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#11]
It's not like I am driving under the speed limit. I am talking about when I am on the E-way when I am already going 70 when the speed limit is 60 and some ass feels like he needs to go 80. It only frustrates me when there are 2 lanes, and I am in the "slow" lane. He can clearly get into the other lane, yet for some odd reason wants me to pull off the road so he can maintain his lane and speed. Am I the only one who encounters these people? By the time he gets an epiphany that there is another lane that he could be driving in, I'm too pissed to let him by. II do move on, after a minute or two, you know after he cools off...
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:38:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
  - Nw -
View Quote

I don't care if they are doing 20 over the speed limit, the one in the left lane needs to move the fuck on and get out of the way.

It is not their job to keep others from speeding.  That is between me and the cops.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
  - Nw -
View Quote

View Quote

Gee, sounds like you have that problem a lot.  Maybe you should pay attention to what is coming up behind and go ahead and get the hell out of the way.

I don't care how fast I am moving, I only get into the left lane to pass and if, while doing that, I notice an even faster driver coming up, I will speed up and get out of their way.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not like I am driving under the speed limit. I am talking about when I am on the E-way when I am already going 70 when the speed limit is 60 and some ass feels like he needs to go 80. It only frustrates me when there are 2 lanes, and I am in the "slow" lane. He can clearly get into the other lane, yet for some odd reason wants me to pull off the road so he can maintain his lane and speed. Am I the only one who encounters these people? By the time he gets an epiphany that there is another lane that he could be driving in, I'm too pissed to let him by. II do move on, after a minute or two, you know after he cools off...
View Quote

Oh, so he is supposed to pass in the right lane because you want to be a shithead and not get out of the passing lane.  Does the phrase 'common courtesy' mean anything to you?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a busy intersection here in town where traffic continually backs up.  You can turn right on red onto a service road and then get on the main road a little further down.  The city has even put up a sign stating:

[size=6][red]DON"T BE DELAYED!!![/red][/size=6]
Turn right on red onto service road for easy access to Airport Blvd.
View Quote

Stupid people still sit at the light waiting for the light to change to green and then turn onto Airport Blvd.  At this intersection, there are about 8 different lights that you would have to sit through if you don't turn right on red.
View Quote

What about the "KEEP MOVING" right hand turn lanes.  They always back up because of idiots stopping to look.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I believe AmericanRedHead was talking about if he was already in the right lane with a free passing lane, but anyhow, brake checks work well for me :)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe AmericanRedHead was talking about if he was already in the right lane with a free passing lane, but anyhow, brake checks work well for me :)
View Quote

No, he was talking about being in the left lane.  

I see you are one of those we are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#18]
i do 50 in the left
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i do 50 in the left
View Quote

Yeah right.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Apparently I misinterpreted his post then, but sorry I'm not, pass left coast right is my slogan of choice to my friends. And on the brake checking thing I only do that if someone is tailgating and the left lane (or any other lane for that matter) is open and I am not impeding traffic. Someone wants to get by and I'm in there way I get the hell over. :D
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#21]
How about this guy:

You are driving and you pass him to get to clear pavement.  He is always with a woman passenger.  (Sometimes it is an older woman driving alone). Once you pass him he feels the need to speed up and pass you.  He passes you then slows down.  To avoid this cycle here is what I do.  (I can’t do this in my Prizm so I only do this in the Corvette or Impala SS):

One I pass I hold my speed and watch the guy accelerate.  Once he is a car length away I nail it and open the distance by 150 – 200 yards.  It never fails.  The guy will try to close the gap.  Most of the time these guys are in old F-bodies, compacts, trucks or family cars so it takes a while to speed up.  Once they get closer,   I do it again.  In the SS but especially the Corvette it is easy to accelerate to open a gap then coast to cruising speed.  What is funny is to see a guy doing his best to close the gap and once he is close pull away like he is standing still.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, so he is supposed to pass in the right lane because you want to be a shithead and not get out of the passing lane.  Does the phrase 'common courtesy' mean anything to you?
View Quote

It sounds like he is also behind someone so he pulls into the left lane and matches the speed of the guy in front to hold the guy behind him back.  It seams like Ohio is big for that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

LMAO! Let me help you both out.
1) it is SHE not HE
2) What I meant was I am driving in the RIGHT lane...and some ass behind me in the RIGHT lane can't pass in the LEFT lane. LOL
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How about this guy:

You are driving and you pass him to get to clear pavement.  He is always with a woman passenger.  (Sometimes it is an older woman driving alone). Once you pass him he feels the need to speed up and pass you.  He passes you then slows down.  To avoid this cycle here is what I do.  (I can’t do this in my Prizm so I only do this in the Corvette or Impala SS):

One I pass I hold my speed and watch the guy accelerate.  Once he is a car length away I nail it and open the distance by 150 – 200 yards.  It never fails.  The guy will try to close the gap.  Most of the time these guys are in old F-bodies, compacts, trucks or family cars so it takes a while to speed up.  Once they get closer,   I do it again.  In the SS but especially the Corvette it is easy to accelerate to open a gap then coast to cruising speed.  What is funny is to see a guy doing his best to close the gap and once he is close pull away like he is standing still.  

View Quote
Yeah, I have done that in RX7 Turbo.  What's funny is people will accelerate when you go by them with the cruise on and you wind up having to accelerate to clear them in order to get back over.  I have been known to go ahead and cut back over into the right lane when they are a little close.  They always wind up dissappearing in the rear view, even after my cutting back to the original speed, after a couple of minutes of being dickheads.  It's like they want to keep you from passing but when they realize it ain't gonna happen, they back off.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Ahhhh, a good old holiday bitching session.

I hate:  Pricks who, seeing construction is going to take a lane away, dive INTO that lane (the one everyone else is leaving because it's CLOSED) so they can pass the rest of us sheep, then try to dart back in at the last second, always counting on me to slam on my brakes so they can fit.  More than 1 asshole has miscalculated my willingness to get very close in the Yukon.

Also hate those who enter the freeway at a 45 degree angle, heading literally diagonally towards the fast lane, always at about 40mph, then arriving in the fast lane at 41.2, accellerating to 55 over the next 5 miles.  Never a glance in the rearview to see the havoc they play.

Those who look only next to them when changing lanes, never to the rear, causing faster cars to slam on their brakes to avoid a collision.

Those who think right on red means coast through and only hit the brakes if you see a semi in your peripheral vision.  THese assholes should be forced to ride a motorcycle in city traffic for the rest of their lives, see how they like the shrugs and "Sorry, didn't see you" at the next light.

Kids in their ricer "tuners" driving way too fast for traffic, you can see that they are at the limit of control/capability.

Those aforementioned jackoffs who, driving slow enough to warrant passing, suddenly decide that it's a domination thing and try to pass me back.

Also the guy who treats all maneuvers as domination, you know the guy, he authoritativly swerves suddenly in front of you after passing.

THat's it for now.    
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#26]
About 75% of idiot-drivers have a cellphone stuck in their ear......I'd like to stick it up their ASS!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

1) it is SHE not HE
2) What I meant was I am driving in the RIGHT lane...and some ass behind me in the RIGHT lane can't pass in the LEFT lane. LOL
View Quote

Realized that after reading the thread about usernames fitting and the long hair thing. . . sorry :)

Re: 2) That was the way I interpreted your original post
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How about this guy:

View Quote

I do something similiar in my Isuzu Axiom but try n' not give them the chance to accelerate [:D]
I just floor it as soon as I hit the left lane and they don't have a chance [}:D]

and no one expects a suv to get up to speed quickly either
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

1) it is SHE not HE
View Quote

Ah, so solly.  I misinterpreted what you originally said.

That is really assinine to tailgate someone in the RIGHT lane.  Damn.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ahhhh, a good old holiday bitching session.

I hate:  Pricks who, seeing construction is going to take a lane away, dive INTO that lane (the one everyone else is leaving because it's CLOSED) so they can pass the rest of us sheep, then try to dart back in at the last second, always counting on me to slam on my brakes so they can fit.  More than 1 asshole has miscalculated my willingness to get very close in the Yukon.    
View Quote

I know what you mean.  I have bluffed SUVs in my RX7.  They ain't gettin' in, damn it.  They can wait in line like everyone else.

I've even been known to reduce the lane that is being closed in size, so to speak, as I and others are patiently awaiting traffic to start moving.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I like to say, "woman driver, no survivor."

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've got a long shift behind the windshield today.
I'll come back with an official Bus Driver's report on idiot's driving around...[:D]
View Quote

MERE WORDS cannot describe what I've seen today.
I'll be out there again just for fun to see the family.
Can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, I have done that in RX7 Turbo.  What's funny is people will accelerate when you go by them with the cruise on and you wind up having to accelerate to clear them in order to get back over.  I have been known to go ahead and cut back over into the right lane when they are a little close.  They always wind up dissappearing in the rear view, even after my cutting back to the original speed, after a couple of minutes of being dickheads.  It's like they want to keep you from passing but when they realize it ain't gonna happen, they back off.  Sheesh.
View Quote

One important lesson I learned driving I-80 from Ohio to NY a lot:  Always pass someone at a 15-20 mph differential.  If you have the cruise on and try to pass someone at ~3 mph difference, they will inevitably speed up to save their masculinity.  Needless to say, they will slow down again if you get back behind them.  If you shoot past them and get 1-200 yards ahead of them, they will just forget it.  

I once got stuck behind a fuckstick in a Mustang Cobra going 55 on I-80 (limit is 65, average is 70-75).  He was parked in the left lane for 20 minutes beside a semi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top