Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 6:56:23 AM EDT
This is a spinoff from the Wally World discussions.

I was wondering how many of you actually check the labels for country of manufacture when shopping.  When possible, I prefer paying a couple more bucks for a decent, made-in-the-USA product.  I try to avoid stuff made in China.  Of course, these days it's difficult to be 100% on that, because there have been times that I couldn't find the item I was shopping for with a "USA" tag.  However, whenever possible I avoid the "Made In China" label.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I buy only USA stuff when ever possible.  I always look for who made what when shopping.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I must admit that I do not. I look for the best quality at the lowest cost. Period.

That said, there are some products I will not buy outside a given brand. For example, hand tools must be Craftsman, electronics (especially TV's) are almost always Sony, Knives are almost always Buck, Gerber, Leatherman, or another quality American company.

If I am torn between two products of equal value, the American one wins every time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:01:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I buy only USA stuff when ever possible.  I always look for who made what when shopping.
View Quote

Roger that.  I always look for the country of origin, and will pay a higher price for an American-made product.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Roger that.  I always look for the country of origin, and will pay a higher price for an American-made product.
View Quote

w3rd.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I try to look for it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I'm a lot like Zaphod.

I try to avoid things made in China. But it is hard to find good affordable US made shoes for everyday wear, for example.

But somethings I will buy only a specific brand or quality. It just depend on what I'm buying.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I try for made in the USA, most european countries then Japan.  I avoid Chinese crap if possible.

Shop at Wal-Mart if you like, all they do is destroy american jobs and families.  They import $12,000,000,000 dollars a year worth of Chinese crap and sell it to you cheap.  If you have noticed, they do not spout that crap about "jobs for the american working man and products for americans" since Sam Walton died.

They are the largest employer in the US, with the lowest average wage outside of farm labor and the fewest benefits.  Every dollar you spend at Wal-Mart insures that a Wal-Mart employee is sliding a little closer to welfare, foodstamps and medicade for health care.  To avoid paying benefits they over price them and keep nearly all employees at a part-time level.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I try not to buy anything made in china.

I also try to buy American anytime I can.
But there is nothing like the feel of a quality German firearm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have begun to realize that I can buy low-cost stuff that I will need to replace in a couple of months....OR I can spend more and get a quality product that will last into the next generation. These higher quality products are most usually 'Made In USA' and are the term low-cost solution.

Cheap stuff from overseas is usually just that....CHEAP.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I specifically avoid anything made in China, if possible.

I've been wearing Carhartt jeans and Red Wing boots for years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
You damn well bet that I check...
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer made in China,Vietnam, Hong Kong, Philippines, Japan, Korea, USA because I know they make good quality thats the most important to me quality and price.

I have a nice pair of cotton cargo shorts made in Cambodia and these are the best quality shorts Ive ever owned, they make excellent cotton clothing.

If it says made in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan
I dont like to buy it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#13]
china is the only one i try to avoid
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#14]
See sig line

Given a choice, I'd much rather give my money to an American employing American workers. Some items, like sneakers and electronics, are hard to buy without buying from an overseas manufacturer. But I do what I can.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't know that much about the law but , I think these Jerks are wise to the Made in USA only buyers. They get a product from china then leave one thing off then have it done here so they can put the made in USA label. or sometimes it'll say 'assembled' in usa, what the hell does that mean? it's like the Post-ban guins that have 10 or less foreign parts crap they really still are Foreign stuff.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I try not to buy anything made in china.

I also try to buy American anytime I can.
But there is nothing like the feel of a quality German firearm.
View Quote

Dredd,
You don't have to feel guilt about purchases of German goods, as we sure *don't* have a trade deficit going with them.

They still buy a lot more from us than we do from them, thus the term "trade", still applies.

It is the cheap Chinese goods, Indian textiles, and Japanese car makers that insist on blocking our goods into *their* countries, and yet flooding our markets with *their* crap that has us in trouble.

Old Europe still buys a LOT of stuff from us.
Keeps it fair.

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I try to buy USA stuff if I can, but that is not always possible. I avoid the PRC stuff because I hate taking stuff back and standing in those awful line when they break, and places like Wal-mart don't give a $hit if they break or not because usually they're paying pennies on the dollar for anything they bring in from the PRC, so they can afford to give you a new whatever. I've paid $7 for compact florescent light bulbs at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, etc; and now I'm paying $1 for the samething at some other retailers. The markup from goods made in the PRC is tremendous.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Chinese cast iron pan =5.00
American Lodge cast iron pan =30.00

Now which do you think.
I work hard for my money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]
[b]Were you following me in the shopping mall yesterday?[/b]

My kid sister may never speak to me again, I broke out a high speed wobble like hasnt been seen in a long time. Christmas is getting to me.

We wanted a sweater for my Mom. Fine. We were going in thru the BonMarche. I am looking at tags, China, China, China, China, China, China, China, China, China, China, Taiwan, China, China, China, China, China....

I went up to the counter and asked Six-Dollar an hour Suzie, "Do you have anything in here that is made in America"? She kinda shrugged. "Why would I pay you more for Chinese junk when I can go to WalMart and get it for next to nothing?" And I didnt stop there. I also didnt see teh Chinese lady standing there, but I really didnt care.

I was livid and started wobbling. After further review, Nordstroms, the highest priced place in the mall, is the only place with Made in the USA stuff. Guess my shopping list is going to have to shrink, because I wont be sending my dollars straight to China like that. Period. I wont pay for missles pointed at me. Fuck Bill Klinton and all the rest of the kommie bastards, Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I try for made in the USA, most european countries then Japan.  I avoid Chinese crap if possible.

Shop at Wal-Mart if you like, [red]all they do is destroy american jobs and families.[/red]  They import $12,000,000,000 dollars a year worth of Chinese crap and sell it to you cheap.  If you have noticed, they do not spout that crap about "jobs for the american working man and products for americans" since Sam Walton died.

[red]They are the largest employer in the US,[/red] with the lowest average wage outside of farm labor and the fewest benefits.  Every dollar you spend at Wal-Mart insures that a Wal-Mart employee is sliding a little closer to welfare, foodstamps and medicade for health care.  To avoid paying benefits they over price them and keep nearly all employees at a part-time level.
View Quote

That's alot of [BS2]....you ever actually talked to some of these workers?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That said, there are some products I will not buy outside a given brand. For example, hand tools must be Craftsman, electronics (especially TV's) are almost always Sony, Knives are almost always Buck, [red]Gerber[/red], Leatherman, or another quality American company.
View Quote

[v] Mine says USA but a lot of their other stuff doesn't

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The only thing I buy at WallyWorld is ammo. Unfortunately, it's for a Chinese NDM, a German G3 clone and an Italian Benelli M1. Do I get partial credit?

CW
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I try not to buy from countries that are developing.
Those nations need to trade among each othre when possible.

As far as the "let's sell the Amrican's shit to build more battle ships" plan that the  chinese is conducting...Im not a participant.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I do a little of both. I buy American made where I can, but there are some things I buy on the low end, work boots for example.

I work in a foundry and from first hand experience, I've found that the Chinese slave labor boots hold up as well as a pair of Red Wings. I wear USA made boots outside of work, but I hate to subject a pair of good boots to that kind of punishment. Easier to trash the $20 discount store specials.

On the other hand, I just spent $120 on a wool jac-shirt from Johnson in Vermont. Well worth it, the last one I had I got six years out of it before my Dad's girlfriend decided to throw it in the dryer.

I've given up as far as jeans are concerned. Most of the time I go to Goodwill, it's amazing the stuff you find there.

G
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#26]
If its not 100% cotton, spelled COTTON, not coton, coaton, bumwalt, coton wove......etc.....and I'm looking for 100% cotton I chuck it. New Balance is the ONLY MFGR making 1 line of their sneakers in ME, the 900 series. I have 1 pair. Their components come from elsewhere. They cant compete with all the cheap "others". Now other things, I try to buy USA, but its hard, but not that hard, * cause I dont buy much!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Very recently I have started to avoid buying stuff made in China. That being said, LOTS of shit is made in China. Soup to nuts. I'm working on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top