Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 5:00:32 PM EDT
Happy holidays y'all.

I saw a really cool puppy at the shelter in a small city near me while I was on a bike ride today. He looks really unique- brindled colored- almost has tiger strips. Long legs, maybe a little on the skinny side, big feet. I'm sure he'll grow into a proper beast. He's alert, playful and energetic.  
I'll go back tomorrow and pick him up for the $15 adoption fee.

He's still young- I'd guess 8-12 weeks or so...

I'm sure he'll need house breaking and basic training. Has anyone had any luck with clicker training for dogs?? (or piano playing chickens or wtfe..)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Dog do not understand english or for that matter clicks

They understand when you make a certain sound (word or click) a reaction is expected of them

there are a lot of things in the world that click, and may confuse him/her, I feel using a certain word for a certain requested action is best.

Almost forgot, it also means you must always have a clicker with you to make your dog understand what you want.
JMO
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Clicker training is a specific methodology.
It uses the clicker combined with positive reinforcement. You eventually wean the dog from it. Like using a leash in the beginning.

I'm assuming with the brindle coloring, he may have some bulldog or perhaps bull terrier in him. We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always like the brindle on dogs, I think it is sharp.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife has used it with some luck on one dog who is really strong-willed and hard to train.  Not sure if I'd use it right away for housebreaking though.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top