Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 11:05:50 PM EDT
A friend of mine just came home for Christmas from TAC-P training.

We were talking, and the MOAB came into the discussion.  First, he tried to claim that the "official" name is the Mother Of All Bombs...not Massive Ordnance Air Blast.  I asked who told him this.  He claims it was a TAC-P instructor who came back from Iraq about 4 months ago.

The same instructor claims that he personally saw a bunch of MOABS in a weapons hangar in Iraq.  I tried to tell my buddy that they were still being testing it as of Nov. of this year.

Basically, what I need is proof that his instructor is FOS.  I have enough defense department links that say what MOAB stands for, but I'd like to find something that says what our inventory is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://web.pdx.edu/~schmidtk/pics/MOAB_8.jpg[/img]

My boss was deployed to the CAOC for the war - and sent us this picture.  So there is at least one full up round.

The 'official' designation is the GBU-43/B.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A friend of mine just came home for Christmas from TAC-P training.

We were talking, and the MOAB came into the discussion.  First, he tried to claim that the "official" name is the Mother Of All Bombs...not Massive Ordnance Air Blast.  I asked who told him this.  He claims it was a TAC-P instructor who came back from Iraq about 4 months ago.

The same instructor claims that he personally saw a bunch of MOABS in a weapons hangar in Iraq.  I tried to tell my buddy that they were still being testing it as of Nov. of this year.

Basically, what I need is proof that his instructor is FOS.  I have enough defense department links that say what MOAB stands for, but I'd like to find something that says what our inventory is.
View Quote

I gotta ask: where did you get your information, and why would you believe your source over another person's source?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
DAISY CUTTER [8D]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, wyrm.

Energizer,

My info came from the web.  About the "official" meaning of the acronym, I found it on multiple AF and DoD webpages.  About it not being deployed I took out of context when several news articles discussed it still being in the developmental stage as of November 22, 2003 (when it was tested again at Eglin AFB).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
"Testing" is also done in the field.  Testing at a site in the US gives you some information, but effect on a target can only be done on "live" targets.

The AF would not name a bomb something offensive as in "mother of all bombs".  If it happened to us an acromym that meant something totally different and also happened to fit the "mother of all bombs". It would be no problem.

I have a friend that works for a company that was developing a "bunker buster" type bomb.  They were going straight from their shop to the war, for "testing".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top