Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2003 3:02:58 PM EDT
What I mean is, What is the goal we must meet, to say it is over, that we have won.

What do you say?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Democracy.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://myinstantdeath.tripod.com/nuke.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd say there are/were two simple goals.

1)  Remove the current regime becuase it repesented a danger to the world.  This has been done.

2)  Help the Iraqis establish a new form of government that is stable and a good international citizen.  This might be impossible.

But, we are there and commited.  I think number 2 can be accomplished short term enough so that we can withdraw and declare victory.  I have my doubts about a democratic form of government lasting in any Arab nation at this time.

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with you leelaw!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
That all the military bases we need to stage to Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and other lesser known shitholes are completed and ready to be used. This was the only real goal. It's a real pain having to ship everything to Kuwait every time you want to do something. Just look at a map.

CW
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That all the military bases we need to stage to Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia and other lesser known shitholes are completed and ready to be used. This was the only real goal. It's a real pain having to ship everything to Kuwait every time you want to do something. Just look at a map.

CW
View Quote

I have to agree.

We cannot afford to move in and out every 10 years or so.

Also to get the other shithole dictators to get it right or their days are numbered.  Libya got the message.

It is good to have a president who means what he says and says what he means.

President Bush just plain cares.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#7]
We're still in Germany, Japan, and Korea after all these years. I believe we'll maintain a military presence there for many years to come. jimmybcool is on target for the short term goals but I don't think we'll "win" any time soon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#8]
To place the people we pay and arm to fight, in a distant place, to be a magnet to all the shitbirds who wish to attack us.

And it seems to be working.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Nuke it, pave it, build a mall!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Nuke their ass,take their gas.Damascus can be conquered by our Legions as well as Bagdad.We are in the neighborhood why not build a Micky Mouse theme park.Track em,whack em,stack em.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#11]
F.O.B.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Same as Korea circa 1953 to present.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I can see all of these, but what is our stated goal in Iraq?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
[conan]To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the woman![/conan]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Kill their men, rape their women, and steal their cattles.

And get it right this time!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#16]
What Bulldog said...."To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We are in the neighborhood why not build a Micky Mouse theme park.
View Quote

And when Jacko goes into exile we can have him run it for us![whacko]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Un-stated goals:

To secure  oil supply for some time to come. To move major Arab bases of operations and oil supply protection from Saudi to Iraq. (It's easier to do it by fighting half-way around the world, than it is to secure it from the enviro-nazi's in the wilderness areas on our own damn continent.) And to spread democracy to more places in such a strategic part of the world, which will give us better, more stable trading partners (mostly oil again).

Stated goals:

To enforce UN Council resolutions and remove indirect threat (terrorist sypathizer/enabler).

Any and all of these goals are valid as far as I'm concerned -- with the exception of the UN Council resolutions. The UN is ineffective and inconsequential in matters of world affairs (unless you count making a mess of any situation it gets involved in as "effective").
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Ya got it all wrong man! its kill their men, steal their women, and rape their cattles.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
We have fragmented the muslim world.

Israel- friendly
Jordan/Syria- infriendly
Iraq- Friendly
Iran- Unfriendly
Afghanistan-friendly
Pakistan- unfriendly
India- friendly
Saudi Arabia-unfriendly
Qatar-friendly

It's hard for them to form fronts when we have them layered like a sandwich
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Our goal in Iraq is to get thedave1164 to state his opinion while asking the opine of others, in his opening post.

While sometime he may agree with others opinon, he has yet too state his actual opine.

I'm sure you are a nice guy, some of us would like to hear you opinon on these matters you ask of if you have one.

Now my goal in Iraq is have my son come home safe from his second deployment that he'll soon be going on. With the help of prayer.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nuke it, pave it, build a mall!!
View Quote

All you people that say nuke it . If you are serious you are an idiot. Why would you want to nuke a county that has millions of good people just because you dont like their former leader.

You are no better than the ones we are fighting!

The goal is, and should be, to set up a model democracy for the arab world.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#23]
To free it from Saddam Hussen and establish a Democracy.

This may take 20-50 years.  Deal with it.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CW
View Quote

I have to agree.

We cannot afford to move in and out every 10 years or so.

Also to get the other shithole dictators to get it right or their days are numbered.  Libya got the message.

It is good to have a president who means what he says and says what he means.

President Bush just plain cares.
View Quote

Ditto.

To set up a controlled area of operations to neutralize other threats perceived or known in the area. With Iraq and Kuwait we're basically dead squaa in the middle of the Hot-Zone. All logistical support will flow in through the 'secured' sea-ports and air fields.

And with the oil-lines we will have a constant source of energy to fuel the US War Machine.

Establish Some thing like US Army Middle-Eastern Theatre command-USAMECOM
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya got it all wrong man! its kill their men, steal their women, and rape their cattles.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Isn't that the Texas motto?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Our goal in Iraq is to get thedave1164 to state his opinion while asking the opine of others, in his opening post.

While sometime he may agree with others opinon, he has yet too state his actual opine.

I'm sure you are a nice guy, some of us would like to hear you opinon on these matters you ask of if you have one.

Now my goal in Iraq is have my son come home safe from his second deployment that he'll soon be going on. With the help of prayer.

View Quote

TwoStage,

My prayers for the safe return of your son, and all of our troops in Iraq and other places around the globe.

My opinion does not amount to much, I honestly do not know what the stated goals for the action in Iraq is. I have heard quite a few different opinions, but no direct quotes.

I have heard:

To remove SH

To liberate the Iraqis

To find and destroy WMD's

To bring democracy to Iraq

To get their oil

I am looking for a factual answer, so I will know when to expect our troops to be pulled out.

If anything, I am wanting to make sure that there is a goal, so this is not like the rest of the perpetual peace missions we get involved in around the world.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#27]
[b]SH[/b] was the biggest bully in the we're gonna call the Mideast Tavern for right now. There was always some kind of shit going on at the Mideast Tavern and the cops [US] got tired of getting calls out there every night. Occassionally, one of the lesser pukes at the bar, like Iran, Libia, Syria, etc would get out of hand and throw some shots at a patrol car when we passed by, but SH was still the biggest, baddest mo-fo at the bar and everybody knew it. Now, we could either try to close the bar completly, (fat chance), or we could go into the bar and pick out the biggest and baddest mo-fo in the place and then kick his azz all the way to the curb. -Done-
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#28]
There is no fixed timetable for the return of our troops.

Iraq has to establish a democratic gov't.

Threats to Americans, and American interests must be controlled.

If you think that the world is going to somehow right itself and it will be safe for us to return home, you are dreaming.....
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There is no fixed timetable for the return of our troops.

Iraq has to establish a democratic gov't.

Threats to Americans, and American interests must be controlled.

If you think that the world is going to somehow right itself and it will be safe for us to return home, you are dreaming.....
View Quote

So because I have a question about the return of our troops, I am dreaming?

Nice answer.

Truth be told, I don't think anyone has an answer, you just don't want to admit it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#30]
thedave1164, thank you.

Having been in harms way, I understand the mission can change at anytime for one reason or another.

What ever the misson is now or ends up to be I just ask for the safe return of our troops in uniform and will support them anyway I can when I can.

Just as any War some will come home as Hero's, I have seen one young Hero from my area put to rest a few weeks ago.  

We (the US) will be there for sometime to come.

Everyones opinon matters
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#31]
It bothers me that there is [i]seemingly[/i]  no accountability for the lives of our sons and daughters.

I am sorry if I have hit a nerve with some of you, but why not ask why? Does it make me unpatriotic?

Why do some of you seem to think I have bad intentions when I am asking this question?

I have problems with the bush administration, no question there.

We have caught SH

We have found no WMD's and no active programs for such. Their capability has been greatly diminished.

We have effectivly rendered their military useless.

So where is the threat to Americans, except to our troops in the theatre?

We can not force a country into a democracy.

Besides we are not a democracy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#32]
To get all those WMDs and protect America and the world from terrorism...uhhhh, I mean free the Iraqi people from a horrible dictator!!! Hey, we were in a good mood.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Dave,

What would YOU do if you were President? How would you protect the world's (and ours) supply of oil? What bills would you sign and what one's would you not sign? What wars would you support?

I'm sure you have plenty of answers to these questions. But being POTUS is many times about comprimise, and many other decisions where the decisions are hard to make and open to second guessing a lot. When Bush says he prays for answers and help I believe him. Every time Willy pretended to ask God for help I did NOT believe him. I believe that Bush is doing the best he can and he has my support.

I know you have a lot of critisizm for Bush, but as of yet I haven't heard of anyone out there who I would have more faith in. I just wonder what GW did to you to make you disklike him so much? The fact that Klinton even breathes makes me dislike him...

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Dave,

What would YOU do if you were President? How would you protect the world's (and ours) supply of oil? What bills would you sign and what one's would you not sign? What wars would you support?

I'm sure you have plenty of answers to these questions. But being POTUS is many times about comprimise, and many other decisions where the decisions are hard to make and open to second guessing a lot. When Bush says he prays for answers and help I believe him. Every time Willy pretended to ask God for help I did NOT believe him. I believe that Bush is doing the best he can and he has my support.

I know you have a lot of critisizm for Bush, but as of yet I haven't heard of anyone out there who I would have more faith in. I just wonder what GW did to you to make you disklike him so much? [red]The fact that Klinton even breathes makes me dislike him...[/red]

View Quote

There is always something we can agree on.

But once again, I am just looking for the stated goal of the Iraq invasion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top