Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 8:17:01 PM EDT
on the way to work this morning. Was doing about 50mph. It was the cats fault tho. It had crossed in front of me, I swerved to the right as I was braking, but the damn thing stopped and ran back, right in front of my car!

I don't know how many bones a cat has in its body but I swear I heard every one of them crush, mixed with what sounded like a squishing sound, I saw no reason to stop. Poor cat.

When I got home from work I fed my cat a slice of roast beef. It didn't help the dead cat but made me feel better.

So, how many notches you guys got on your steering wheel?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That cat obviously has not made the pact with the devil that most cats make shortly after they are weened.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if your bragging or complaining?

PS Cats make good Coyote bait!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
daugherty - surely there is nothng to brag about. And there was no damage to my car so I'm not complaining. It was unfortunate for the cat and a shitty way to start the day. I had been enjoying a nice pipe full of tobacco on the way to work then splatt!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I hit one about 6 months ago, I know it had to be killed about instantly my 95 Impala weighs about 2 tons and the tires were as wide as it, I didnt stop.   Also I now remember I hit a bird once on the way back from the range.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hit one about 6 months ago, I know it had to be killed about instantly my 95 Impala [red]ways[/red] about 2 tons and the tires were as wide as it, I didnt stop.
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It's ok, you type weird shyt when you are in a hurry.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I've killed plenty of bunnys, birds & stuff while driving. It is not intentional, so I don't dwell on it.  If it is intentional, I still don't dwell on it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't ever swerve for a damn cat, squirrel, deer, chicken, etc.......person, maybe, but not a damn cat.  Simply grip the steering wheel with a death grip and romp on the breaks.  Too many bad things happen when you start swerving.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I once happened across a cat that had been hit, but not killed. Fuckin' asshole that hit it never stopped, so I had to do the deed. The poor thing was in absolute agony, and was obviously dying. I may have done it a favor by ending it's pain, but I can think of very few things that have made me feel as bad as I did afterward.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
And here I thought it was going to be a new Christmas parody song. [banana]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Long after dark one night I came across a cat that had been hit on a desolate road.  I got out and picked it up.  The poor thing was howling and covered in blood.  Unfortunately, I couldn't see it very well to know the exact nature of it's injury.  I could only feel the blood and smell the feces that it was covered in (from writhing on the pavement).  I was on my way to meet a friend in a small town, so I called ahead and had him find a emergency vet.

I got there just before the vet did, and on the porch of the clinic I could see it's injuries...  It's jaw was broken and hanging limp.  The cat was obviously blind from the head impact (it's eyes were partially ruptured).  Blood coming from the ears.  A broken leg.  Who knows what else.  It looked very young, but I hoped that it could be saved.  Even blind cats can lead fairly normal lives.

The vet, after looking it over and keeping it sedated for a few days was optimistic that the cat could be saved.  I discussed the situation with the girlfriend for quite a while, and we decided to keep it (and foot the bill that would be enormous).

But, I told the vet to check it first for every major disease, since I have other cats I didn't want infected.

Turns out the poor thing was NOT a kitten.  It was an adult with Feline Leukemia, which is highly contagious and untreatable.  After all that, the poor animal still had to be put down.  I was still out quite a bit of money as well.

And you know what?  I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
You will get another stripe in the SGTAR army!
Hell maybe even a bar!
Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
ya sure ob on accident, i remember the time u broke my cats tail in the frig door. meeeeeyawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

your brudder
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Well here is my "running over fuzzy creatures" story.

First off if there is an animal in the road I try to avoid it.  I will not, however, put my life in danger doing it.  

Story 1:
A couple weeks back I was driving home doing about 75.  There are tons of Jack Rabbits along this stretch of road so I try to keep my eyes open.  I noticed about 3 of them along side a culvert but a bit off the road so I just kept going.  Well one of them decides to bolt out into the road.  Like I said I was doing 75 so I wasn't about to swerve.  I saw the rabbit about centered with the hood and then heard a small thump.  I looked in the rear view mirror and saw something fuzzy on the road so I slowed down and turned around.  I didn't think I hit it hard enough to kill it so I was going to put it out of its misoury.  I get up to the fuzzy ball in the road, open the door, and see the rabbits head sitting there in the road.  So now I'm thinking that the rest is stuck to the bottom of the car.  I pull over and cant find a thing.  I have no clue where the rest went.

Story 2:
This time I was on my way to work at close to midnight doing almost 80.  This was in my rice burner days with a lowered Honda Civic.  I was cruising down the highway and when I came around a bend there was a huge dead animal in the road that someone else hit.  I couldn't get over in the other lane fast enough so I just centered up and hit it.  It felt like the car came off the ground for a split second and then it was over.  I drove a few more miles and parked at work.  I got out with a flashlight to inspect the damage.  There was flesh and hair hanging from everything under the car and it smelt horrible.  Smell didn't go away for a couple days.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, how many notches you guys got on your steering wheel?  
View Quote

few bunnies
2 deer, one with spots and one full grown.
Owl that came out of nowhere.. that was spooky.
a whole family of ginnies\guinies-- (annoying birds)
bunch of opossums
fox
and a turtle.

none intentonal...........
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:37:42 AM EDT
[#16]
1 Rabbit
1 Deer

The deer happened last year about this time at 0230-0300. I was coming home from a 24 Hr. WalMart (needed some T.P. among other things.) I'm going 30-40 in a 35 zone and I look down at the clock and back up and next thing I see is this huge deer, full grown about 20 feet away from me. I layed on the brakes but it was no use. It went over my hood, roof and trunk. It didn't do any major damage other than a dented hood (thank god)

I pulled over and took out my M44 carbine to finish it off if it was hurt badly. I looked around for a good 15 minutes with my mag-lite but I couldn't find it. Hopefully it only had a few bruises.

This was a pretty build up area, I wonder why nobody called the cops for some guy carrying a rifle in the street at 3am.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:05:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never hit a cat, but I have seen many get hit.

It seems like cats can take a lot of damage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#18]
the worst thing i ever hit was ducks. i was coming around a corner late at night and there was a whole flock of them in the road. the height of my bumper is apparently the same height as a ducks head. i wasn't going to go into the ditch over some ducks standing in the road, so i clecnched the wheel and took out about 10 of them. the head would hit the bumper and it was lights out for them. i stopped and got out to check to make sure they were all dead. the 2 i checked both had broken necks, the rest were dead, probably with broken necks also. i scooted them off into the ditch and continued my trek on home.

a couple years ago i happened to mention to my father in law(after we had just hit a bird in his truck) that i had never hit a flying bird before. swear to god within the next 6 months i had 23 birds fly into my truck.

around the same time as the bird/truck massacre, my father in law and i were driving down a backroad in his tow truck, bringing a car to the junkyard. we topped a hill and saw several turkey buzzards standing near the side of the road. he slows down a bit, they usually fly off before you get to them, we see them munching on a dead deer on the side of the road. as we got closer they all took off, except one. he didn't want to give that deer up until the last second. he started to fly away too late. he hit the top of the hood directly in front of the passenger side. bounced up then hit the passenger side window right in front of me. don't know if you have ever seen a turkey buzzard, but they are pretty big. i thought that thing was going to come through the window and end up in my lap. father in law was laughing so hard at me he had to pull over.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#19]
hit an owl or hawk one time just after dark outside of Las Cruces, tooling on down the road when swoop in and splat. I won't swerve or brake unless I'm going 25 or so in the city and it's safe.  And I haven't hit anything yet.  They run where you swerve anyway.  Gone over a few scared possums that way.

Had a swallow fly into the side window at a red light while my kid was looking out it.  The swallow died, my kid nearly had heart failure.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I once happened across a cat that had been hit, but not killed. Fuckin' asshole that hit it never stopped, so I had to do the deed. The poor thing was in absolute agony, and was obviously dying. I may have done it a favor by ending it's pain, but I can think of very few things that have made me feel as bad as I did afterward.
View Quote
Did ya have to back over it several times or what? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:38:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I did hit a pigeon on the wing a few years back.  I did not see him hit, but I saw him fly in front of me (I was doing about 50), and then I'm driving through a cloud of feathers.
Either I was birdgunning on a massive scale, or I scared him featherless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top