Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 6:29:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I'm just glad that nobody inflicted their big brotherisms on him and insisted on actually seeing it.  Those TSA bozos don't know what they are looking at.  Why it was an infringement on his rights to even ask him if he had one let alone was it loaded.  After all we responsible gunowners all know what we are doing.

oops wrong thread.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The really sucky part of that is they dropped his friggin rifle!

He's also a friggin moron for not unloading his rifle.

COZ
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Something like that happened at my airport terminal.  This guy was checking his rifle, the clerk asked if it was loaded.  Owner checked by pulling the trigger.

BOOM!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Went off from dropping the case?

BULLSHIT.

I don't buy that.  Very few firearms would "go off" from being dropped, and fewer still when in FOAM PACKED CASES.

Sounds like an employee was playing w/it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Went off from dropping the case?

BULLSHIT.

I don't buy that.  Very few firearms would "go off" from being dropped, and fewer still when in FOAM PACKED CASES.

Sounds like an employee was playing w/it.
View Quote

LOL.  Idiot fuckstick had an ND, got let off and you got shitcanned for no damn good reason at all.  There are powers at work that I just don't understand!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL.  Idiot fuckstick had an ND, got let off and you got shitcanned for no damn good reason at all.  There are powers at work that I just don't understand!
View Quote

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

What are you talking about?
View Quote

Idiot Fuckstick who left a round in the chamber and it went off on the tarmac.....gets off scott free.....

You, who got thrown in the cooler for legally checking firearms as baggage.....

The internal workings of this crazy world where this could all happen.......

Does this clarify?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I ain't buying the "it just went off" story. Sounds like somebody screwed up. This is as phony as a "gun cleaning accident" suicide cover story.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ain't buying the "it just went off" story. Sounds like somebody screwed up. This is as phony as a "gun cleaning accident" suicide cover story.
View Quote

Bear in mind that [b]those[/b] phony stories have high social utility.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I know your not supposed to pack ammo. In any case I always remove the bolts and put them if other bag just in case someone wants to mess with it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys, come on, you all know that it was just another case of an EVIL GUN trying to kill somone. They usually wait and blame it on people, but now you can see that all guns want to KILL PEOPLE.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#12]
While possible that an employee was messing with it, I kinda doubt it at that specific place and time...while actually loading things into the hold area of the aircraft. It is very possible for any sporting long-arm to just "go off" with a round in the chamber without ever touching the trigger if it is dropped or struck hard enough. This due to the fact that 99.9% of them have "safties" which only block the rearward movement of the trigger and do not, in any way, prevent the firing pin / striker from firing a round. If this rifle had been "worked on" and given a home trigger job, the possibility is even greater that what they say happened, actually did happen.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 5:45:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should write some sort of Conspiracy Theory book or somethin.  [;D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:06:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a hole in the side of his rifle case?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I think this is bs. It said in the artical that he checked it. That would mean that he had to show it was unloaded. If thats the case than how did it have a round in the chamber after he had to demonstrate that it was unloaded.

The rifle had been checked by a male passenger who was not from the Triangle, she said. He had filled out the necessary paperwork declaring the rifle was secure and not loaded. But one bullet remained in the gun as it sat on a luggage cart on the tarmac.
View Quote

You can't just fill out the paper work you have to show it is unloaded. At least thats always what I've been told and seen while in the airport. Course I don't like to fly, and now all the shit with TSA means I'll never fly anywhere in this country again. Especially with a gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Out here in California, I can hear Fienstein calling for CA-style drop testing legislation in Congress.

How long does one have to read the general discussion forum here on ARFCOM to realize that morons are attracted to guns? Usually only once and just the first page.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Idiot Fuckstick who left a round in the chamber and it went off on the tarmac.....gets off scott free.....

You, who got thrown in the cooler for legally checking firearms as baggage.....

The internal workings of this crazy world where this could all happen.......

Does this clarify?
View Quote

Okay, it does.

Great point, I agree.

But it wasn't me that got arrested for checking firearms - that was a story I came across & posted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never been asked to demonstrate the firearms were unloaded.  I just signed the tag and put it in the cases and verbally told the check in girls they were unloaded.  I didn't have to demonstrate anything.  So, an idiot could easily have left a round in the chamber, with the safety off.  That gun would eventually go off since the foam typically presses into the trigger guard and would eventually cause the trigger to move due to being moved around.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Maybe, it's a damn good time to start zip-tie all your firearms before checking in at the airport--for the sake of all gunowners!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If this rifle had been "worked on" and given a home trigger job, the possibility is even greater that what they say happened, actually did happen.
View Quote

Especially if it was a Remington 700.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I think the "just went off" story is BS.  It would have to be a really crappy rifle to fail a drop test off a baggage cart in an airline-approved hardcase.  (Was there any water pipe involved in the construction?  Was this one of birdman's .50s?)  OTOH, somehow a round got into the chamber.  Either the owner was really dumb and left one in there or was kind of dumb and left some in the mag for a TSA monkey to chamber.  Either way, he's not blameless.

As far as ammo goes, you are allowed to have X pounds of pistol or rifle ammo in the hardcase; I usually carry a box or two.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think the "just went off" story is BS.  It would have to be a really crappy rifle to fail a drop test off a baggage cart in an airline-approved hardcase.  (Was there any water pipe involved in the construction?  Was this one of birdman's .50s?)  OTOH, somehow a round got into the chamber.  Either the owner was really dumb and left one in there or was kind of dumb and left some in the mag for a TSA monkey to chamber.  Either way, he's not blameless.

As far as ammo goes, you are allowed to have X pounds of pistol or rifle ammo in the hardcase; I usually carry a box or two.
View Quote

Second the one-in-the-mag theory.  Three possible outcomes from that--he left one in the mag and chambered it while showing ticket agent firearm was unloaded (and was stupid missing bright shiny case in action), then the rifle failed the drop test; same thing, except ND caused by TSA monkey playing with rifle; or, traveler did NOT show ticket agent rifle was empty and TSA monkey played with rifle and had an ND.

Otherwise, you're assuming the TSA monkey deliberately took out rifle, took out ammo, took out round, loaded in rifle, and then had ND.  I'd say too many other folks (even if they are ignorant TSA and airport police personnel) in the area would have screamed if they had seen that.

No matter which scenario you follow, though, the fault still rests with the traveler for not verifying, several times, that his rifle was empty.  

{edited to add final paragraph.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top