Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2003 1:40:49 PM EDT
DEC. 17--NEW HONDA PICKUP TRUCK

American Honda has released a sketch of its SUT Concept vehicle, scheduled to make its worldwide debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on January 4, 2004. According to inside sources the four-door, tall-side, pickup shares its basic frame with the Honda Pilot and Acura MDX. The bed is shorter than in a normal pickup truck, but according to people who have seen the prototype, the bed is longer than on a Ford Sport Track. For motorcycle racers, AMP Bed Extenders will most likely be offered in the Honda parts catalog.

The SUT Concept is designed to meet the changing tastes of consumers purchasing trucks to accommodate their active, outdoor-oriented lifestyles. Taking advantage of its unibody underpinnings, the Honda SUT Concept combines the utility of an open cargo bed with the interior space and functionality of an SUV.

There is no date for release of the truck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
[rofl] they better get in the market with something better than that
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Geez, whatever happened to a clean truck with plenty of tie down points and not some monstrosity that looks like it came out of Batman Returns or Star Trek.
Give me a box with big wheels.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That thing looks like an ugly POS![puke]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Honda been in the market for years... Honda pilot, CRV (Ford coppied it as their little SUV) the japs are not SLOW..........I hope to get a toyo, or a honda next vehicle!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The SUT Concept is designed to meet the changing tastes of consumers purchasing trucks to accommodate their active, outdoor-oriented lifestyles.
View Quote

Man I love the encouragement of self deception used with this branding concept.  Most buyers of this type of vehicle are only seeking an outdoor image, not a vehicle that is yet another piece of outdoor gear.  

This whole aspect of marketing drives the economy.  After all, we are not a country based on 'need'.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Its all about looks. Like many of the 4-wheel drive trucks out on the road, only a few will ever see off-road use. To a lot of the sheeple, this truck looks cool.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish they'd use their small-car experience to build a decent compact pickup instead. GM and Chrysler's "compacts" are bloated mid-sized models, and the size of everyone else's models has been creeping up for years.

Nobody does 4-bangers better than Honda. They could have capitolized on that skill to build a reliable, fun-to-drive, 30 MPG truck.

Of course, that's not where the profits are...
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Still not as ugly as the Aztec!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still not as ugly as the Aztec!
View Quote

You would have to try realllllllllllllllly hard to come up with something as ugly as the Aztec. That design "team" needs their hands cut off...!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]
One more thing I forgot to mention:
Don't engineer the mutha-effin engine so the oil filter is nearly inaccessible.  My Ford was a good truck, but, Jesus Christ on a Pogo Stick, changing the oil properly was a major undertaking.  That's the first thing I was looking at when considering what I was going to buy: where is the oil filter?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, I was hoping it would be something like the Toy Tacoma only built by Honda, that thing looks like the piece of shit Avalanche from Chevy.

And Doublefeed, just get an oil filter relocation kit from K&N, saves you the headache.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
...and something else I'd really like to see on a pickup (or any vehicle for that matter): A standard USB or serial port connector in the engine compartment, along with an owner's kit that includes diagnostic software for it that runs on a standard PC. Nobody should need to shell out big bucks for a Snap-On scanner (or pay a mechanic 60 bucks) just to read their trouble codes. The engine computer already knows what's wrong with the engine Ð passing that info along to your PC shouldn't cost an arm and a leg!

It's high time that automakers started marketing their vehicles' ease-of-repair as a major selling point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have their heads up their push-up muscles?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...and something else I'd really like to see on a pickup (or any vehicle for that matter): A standard USB or serial port connector in the engine compartment, along with an owner's kit that includes diagnostic software for it that runs on a standard PC. Nobody should need to shell out big bucks for a Snap-On scanner (or pay a mechanic 60 bucks) just to read their trouble codes. The engine computer already knows what's wrong with the engine Ð passing that info along to your PC shouldn't cost an arm and a leg!

It's high time that automakers started marketing their vehicles' ease-of-repair as a major selling point.
View Quote
I've been told multiple times that the difficulty in repairing a vehicle yourself is on purpose.
How would the mechanic make this month's boat payment if you could fix it yourself?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

They have their heads up their push-up muscles?
View Quote
Uhhh, 4th point? [BD]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
i will not buy one
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
It's not a real truck unless you can put a slide-in camper on it.

-Gator
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard the problem is that the auto manufactures COPYRIGHT the diagnostic codes and then license their publication.

The independent mechanics have to pay out the ass to get the manuals/CD’s with detailed info if they want to stay legal.  The dealers… well, they’ll use any excuse to squeeze money out of the [s]victim[/s] customer.

Hell, I’d say 90% of the people on the road couldn’t tell you anything basic about how an ICE works.  If you pop the hood and ask them to tell you what some of the parts (hell ANY parts) are you’ll get a deer in the headlights stare and a “Why the hell should I have to know about any of that shit?”

Put gas in.  Take it to the oil change place every so often.  Take it to the dealer when the “check engine light” comes on or something weird happens.  That about covers it for 90% of car owners today.

BTW, that is one UGLY mofo truck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell, I'd say 90% of the people on the road couldn't tell you anything basic about how an ICE works.
View Quote

I'd bet that your percentage is quite a bit lower among truck owners (and owners of performance cars, too).

As for copyrights, that's a policy that automakers might reconsider if it affected their sales: Would you rather sell vehicles that are easy for your customers to service, or let your competitors sell their vehicles to your customers instead? All it takes is one manufacturer to break ranks and start selling repairability as a feature, and the others will have to fall in line.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Sure to be popular with soccer mommies on the coasts.  Especially the 4wd version.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top