Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They did set it up for a sequel though.
View Quote
Yep.

My biggest gripe was how they orgied over pulling $$$ from the walls while they knew there was still a threat running around. Five guys tearing down walls and no one watching their backs.

Minor complaints. At least there was very little female-heartstring-pulling-BS. Biggest female roll was just hot eye-candy.

I look forward to the sequel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It feels silly going into the minutea of this one off, but here goes.

He had years to collect the arsenal, in his own words.  That box container was huge and insanely well stocked.  Belt feds, etc. He had time to get it all.   The consultants Netflix hired did almost everything right.  Almost.

Can't take screen shots, but remember this place?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/50778/maxresdefault_jpg-882405.JPG
View Quote
Hmmmm, is that SecureIt's Cradle Grid?  I love that stuff. Very pricey, but also very cool.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How were they planning to launder the cash?
View Quote
They have a guy in the Ozarks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked it... one of the better Netflix made movies.

Sound track was kick ass...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched it and kept thinking how dumb can they be...and I’m not an operator.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I hated this movie.  Waste of my evening.  Complete trash.  The only part I enjoyed was when Ben Affleck took a round through the head.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
It was aight for a Netflix movie.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The planning was not super good. And the forgoing of any kind of suppressors or NODs was dumb. But overall I really enjoyed the movie. Even Ben Affleck, who I can't stand, wasn't bad in it.
View Quote
Just watched it today after work, and I agree on all points; Affleck was tolerable, and the one guy who set up the operation reminds me of a less-pithy version of George Clooney (and looks a lot like him, too...).

The gunfights not just being one full-auto spam fest after the other was nice, too- even though I should be able to expect controlled precision fire from Specop guys in all cases, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it was pretty good for Netflix.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Couldn't guess what would happen next.

Enjoyed the movie as a whole.

I would almost like to see the same cast, setting, etc, in another movie with a similar premise, but where things go right.

Beginning and middle felt like Ghost Recon Wildlands.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Couldn't guess what would happen next.

Enjoyed the movie as a whole.

I would almost like to see the same cast, setting, etc, in another movie with a similar premise, but where things go right.

Beginning and middle felt like Ghost Recon Wildlands.
View Quote
I liked it as well. I wanted them to get away with it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Solid B- movie; worth the watch but would not rewatch.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought it was pretty crappy from a plot/character standpoint.

A lot of missed potential.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh man... GD is gonna shit.

IMDB lists one of the "military advisors" as Kevin Vance.  He was a SEAL: http://www.vanceandbrown.com/

Another guy was AFSOC: https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/area-resident-is-a-military-adviser-to-the-stars/article_00707880-1834-11e9-b9e7-b377f276ec29.html

Can't find anything on Nick John...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

IMDB lists one of the "military advisors" as Kevin Vance.  He was a SEAL: http://www.vanceandbrown.com/

Another guy was AFSOC: https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/news/area-resident-is-a-military-adviser-to-the-stars/article_00707880-1834-11e9-b9e7-b377f276ec29.html

View Quote
That's cool.  Now I know a 40mm grenade takes out entire buildings in real life. lol

Also, hey let's source all the guns locally to make it look like it was a rival gang, but the plan also is to leave a bunch of witnesses who see our gringo asses!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's cool.  Now I know a 40mm grenade takes out entire buildings in real life. lol

Also, hey let's source all the guns locally to make it look like it was a rival gang, but the plan also is to leave a bunch of witnesses who see our gringo asses!
View Quote
I'd like to think that the 40mm baysplosion was all on the filmmaker and not the advisors...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Wasn't impressed
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#18]
so...how they going to get batmans dead body back to the US ?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Watched it last night. Was entertained.

Though I will agree with having the characters do uncharacteristically stupid things knocks it some.

They had a helo. No reason the money haul couldn't have been dropped, literally, in the middle of no where, split up, position recorded, remaining haul dropped at the exfil, helo refueled, and then go back for the rest. Was thinking this the whole scene where they're trying to cross the Andes overloaded which made the tension seem completely unnecessary.

Quoted:
Hah, that was my favorite part too!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
Hah, that was my favorite part too!
I might need to make a looping GIF of that.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
They can advise but they can't force them to do it right or realistically or common sensical.  Some people don't think Hollyweird be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I finally watched it last night.

It was bad.  No real backstory or character development.  Plot was holy hell.  The "tactics" were weak.  The dialogue was terrible.

Only good part was when batman got shot in the face.  Literally the only thing in the movie that was remotely a surprise.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I liked it. Literally felt like playing Ghost ReconcWildlands lol.

Didn’t understand why they didn’t use suppressors. Or why they didn’t drop the money, refuel and come back.

Overall a solid action movie.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That would probably be the coolest crossover of all time!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Saw and wasn't terribly impressed.

I'll set aside the whole taking too long at the house and the overloading the helo/not dumping it before the mountain. Point of it was greed makes even rationale people do irrational things. Also the super black ops team rips off criminals trope

I will nit pick
  • No silencers on a discreet raid on a house WTF
  • They only wanted to kill the kingpin and went to great lengths to subdue guards alive but then flip and execute everyone like it was nothing.
  • Since they abandoned the no killing mission priority, should have killed the family/ rest of guards (see Heat- armored car heist). Instead they let the kid see one of their faces and guards are alive to almost immediately raise the alarm, go after them and call in the search parties once they see the house up in flames.
  • They're prepared for a 1, maybe 2 day operation at most-where the fuck where'd they get all that rope/climbing gear and WTF did they eat and drink for 5 days in the Andes.
  • Son of Anarchy gets shot on raid, spends 5 days walking through rain forest, through rivers and mountains. Not only not septic/dead by time they reach coast, but about 90% of normal.
  • A bunch of half ass mountain farmers were able to track them for days through rain forest, across rivers and mountains to ambush them? Plus the spec ops team didn't seem to care if anyone was following them....wasn't like they just killed and ripped off a drug lord with who know how many hired guns.
There are more, but those are the main ones.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#26]
It would have been sweet if they ran into and killed the sicario dude and it was CIA $$$

Or the predator popped out.

Or Alexandria Dadario was naked in it.

Or if they had a .50 cal rambo 4 scene.

Get better maps to go over the mt.

It was better than a lot of movies I watch.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I finally watched it last night.

It was bad.  No real backstory or character development.  Plot was holy hell.  The "tactics" were weak.  The dialogue was terrible.

Only good part was when batman got shot in the face.  Literally the only thing in the movie that was remotely a surprise.
View Quote
Yup.  I have a hard time suspending disbelief in movies like this, so my take is it was utter garbage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Sort of liked it. Good for Netflix movie. I think they should have gone a different route with the plot though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Sort of liked it. Good for Netflix movie. I think they should have gone a different route with the plot though.
View Quote
Yeah, like set it on fire and let a competent writer take a crack at it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They will find a grizzled former SEAL who was betrayed by Trump and left to die to help train them for the mission.
View Quote
...and the former SEAL is a transgender.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Just watched it.

Not bad.

But I don’t understand why it didn’t end with them agreeing that going back and getting the 200 Million Dollars Would be something that they should do.

Same mission as before, but without the risk.

Helicopter, ropes, and a plan for laundering it.

Seems fairly straightforward.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I somehow missed this thread until today. Going to watch tonight.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just watched it.

Not bad.

But I don’t understand why it didn’t end with them agreeing that going back and getting the 200 Million Dollars Would be something that they should do.

View Quote
Because they came to realize that greed was bad, or something.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#34]
I laughed out loud when Batfleck caught one to the brain pan.  Best part of the movie.  I actually like Affleck but I like him more when his characters get beat up or killed in his movies.  He just has such a punchable face.

I couldn't believe how dumb they were and the mistakes they made.   If they hadn't been so greedy and simply stuck to the plan everything would have been fine.  I guess no good plan survives contact with a mansion full of money?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just watched it.

Not bad.

View Quote
Making 2 trips over the pass seems more straightforward than overloading and predictably crashing the helicopter.

Guys who routinely do dumb stuff keep doing dumb stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I watched it and kept thinking how dumb can they be...and I'm not an operator.
View Quote
I thought it was a rather good example of human nature. All those guys needed the money, bad. Especially Afflec, who clearly was suffering from some alcohol and family issues. Once they saw the dollar signs they started bargaining with themselves. We are just up against some low end gang bangers, we built in a factor of safety into the timing so we can stay a little longer, imagine what else we could buy with this extra money, etc etc etc. They may have been strict professionals in a previous life, but now they're family men trying to get everything they can with eyes bigger than their stomachs.

I find it completely believable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Didn't understand why they didn't use suppressors. Or why they didn't drop the money, refuel and come back.

View Quote
The sourced all their weapons and gear in country on short notice. Probably wanted to get whatever they could that would draw the least attention. Grabbing some ARs and handguns, NBD. Suppressors, NODs, etc? More conspicuous.

They had a timeline to meet the boat. Where were they going to get fuel between the Andes and the boat? Some poor fishing villages? They took a risk and it didn't work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The sourced all their weapons and gear in country on short notice. Probably wanted to get whatever they could that would draw the least attention. Grabbing some ARs and handguns, NBD. Suppressors, NODs, etc? More conspicuous.

They had a timeline to meet the boat. Where were they going to get fuel between the Andes and the boat? Some poor fishing villages? They took a risk and it didn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't understand why they didn't use suppressors. Or why they didn't drop the money, refuel and come back.

Very easy to break the slung load in 2 loads.

Drop off load 1 short of the pass while the helicopter still had power to safely land and takeoff .

Fly second load over pass and drop.

Come back for load one.

Fly load 1 to load 2 on ocean side of pass and hook both loads for remaining trip to coast.

Not exactly rocket science and beats pretending physics is not  thing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Entertaining flick, plot holes for sure, but killed some time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got done watching it. Will read through this thread but had high hopes but man that was dumb.
No NVG's, didn't cover their faces. Afflect not wanting to go and get more money. He killed himself IMO by not leaving on time and that extra load caused the heli to go down.
Then they all give up their share...
They looked more like COD players than the real deal
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#41]
This movie was pretty good if you are not a nit-picky OCD suffering scatterbrain like most of the people in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I enjoyed it. I really try not to nitpick movies for 100% accuracy... But...why the hell would they not use suppressed weapons during the robbery?
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Just watched it. It was okay. Good for a Netflix original movie, but that’s not saying much.

Click To View Spoiler.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Watched it last night. I thought it was solid, wife hated it.

I think they left the money out there as a sequel opportunity.

One thing that occurred to me was that Netflix should get the rights to Mack Bolan and Able Team books and make them into series like Strike Back. I’d love that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#45]
It was ok. Certainly worth a watch. It's far from perfect but compared to most of the shit that comes out of Hollywood these days it was decent. I try not to get too nit picky with movies but it definitely had its share of eye rolling and wtf? moments.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:23:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Just saw it, I give it a 7 out of 10. I was entertained.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Watched it the other day. I liked it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Finally watched it last night.  Like others have said, very solid for a Netflix movie.  I enjoyed it and thought the story line was good.  Yes, there are some typical movie mistakes but not nearly as much as most.  I hope they do a sequel.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#49]
so who's gonna travel to s 19° 22' 32.0'' w 69° 15' 38.2'' on a scavenger hunt?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top