Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/13/2019 9:41:50 PM EDT
My car is falling apart. I was thinking about buying a used pickup, but I don't want to pay the ridiculous amounts of money the current market demands. I always wanted to own some kind of truck and a cheap sports car eventually. I decided to look up used Scion FRSs and they seem to be available for very reasonable prices at very low mileages. Any problems with them? I've never driven a "fun" car before. How fun are they? Will a rifle case capable of holding an M1 Garand fit in the trunk?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You're posting in GD, you won't fit in a BRZ.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You can drop the rear seatback down and fit the rifle in there if it won’t fully fit in the trunk.  It’s actually designed so you can fit four racing wheels in there on your way back and forth from the racetrack.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not that tall and will tell you, it's tough getting in and out of them.  If you want a vehicle that handles corners well, pass on the BRZ and get a WRX.

The BRZ is the only Subaru vehicle that I've never sold.  They just aren't that popular compared to the WRX.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're posting in GD, you won't fit in a BRZ.

Kharn
View Quote
Lies!!!

I'm a tall fat ass and daily drive one.

6'6" 370lbs

I wear the car though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They're good little cars, not a ton of power but handle good, kinda like a Miata.

It's the kind of car that you can have fun driving on the street without going to jail.

I'm sure you could fit a rifle case in it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m six foot and the trick I learned for exiting low slung vehicles is to put my hand down on the door sill.  It’s a sports car not a sedan.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Claustrophobic interiors.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
For reference, I drive a Crown Vic with a transmission that slips when it is cold outside, and makes horrendous compressing spring noises every time I hit a bump or turn the steering wheel more than an inch. I find 220 horsepower sufficient for a 4400 pound car.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
People are going to tell you all kinds pf reason not to buy one but I’ve had an 86 for a year and a half and it is one tight handling machine.  Rides stiff and doesn’t roll around.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]
As for your question...

I love mine, that said, it is gutless.  An OTS tune from an OFT fixed the shitty throttle response. But it still needs power. It could use about 100hp more, that said, if it put down 200hp it would have been night and day better.

The advice I can give is to ditch the wheels and tires the day you get it.  If not the wheels(to something lighter.) At least the tires. This will allow you to use the car nearer to its potential.

I plan to supercharge mine, but I am having a hard time justifying the costs. Especially after sinking the money I have in mod already.

I find myself wanting more. That said, if I buy another car, I think I will keep the BRZ.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I daily mine 325mi a day currently and am still excited to get in it every morning

Car is currently 300-325whp and will be getting more power in a week or two I can gap Camaro SS on the highway no problem and in the mountains I haven’t bumped into a car that can come close to hanging

I’m 6’2 275 and have no problems getting in or out of the car and the seat isn’t close to being slid all the way back

It’s a forever car for me

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not that tall and will tell you, it's tough getting in and out of them.  If you want a vehicle that handles corners well, pass on the BRZ and get a WRX.

The BRZ is the only Subaru vehicle that I've never sold.  They just aren't that popular compared to the WRX.
View Quote
Handle corners is all they do.  WRXs understeer like mad, cornering is their weakest facet.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Last I checked you could get a low miles used 350z for a lot less and those both have balls and can corner.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a used one - the depreciation on a new purchase is pretty bad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Mine, taken a while back.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Last I checked you could get a low miles used 350z for a lot less and those both have balls and can corner.
View Quote
As someone who has driven the shit out of both. The brz handles MUCH better. The weight of the 350 is very evident when driving them imo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy a used one - the depreciation on a new purchase is pretty bad.
View Quote
Yep, buy used.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Seriously, buy a Miata. More fun, a better car and better resale.

Go watch Savage Geese’s video about his adventures with the car. Gutless but we’ll-balanced cars, unless you’re an Apex junkie you’re going to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
SMLE fits in the trunk, so Garand is good to go. The only rifle I've tried and couldn't fit in the trunk was my Steyr M95; had to drop the seats for it.

Attachment Attached File

It doesn't have a lot of power, but it handles quite well and is a lot of fun to toss around. Typical of the type of car.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They're good little cars, not a ton of power but handle good, kinda like a Miata.

It's the kind of car that you can have fun driving on the street without going to jail.

I'm sure you could fit a rifle case in it.
View Quote
The BRZ has the same block as my Impreza but 200 vs 150hp, and my car is a few hundred pounds heavier. "Not a ton of power" is relative.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seriously, buy a Miata. More fun, a better car and better resale.

Go watch Savage Geese’s video about his adventures with the car. Gutless but we’ll-balanced cars, unless you’re an Apex junkie you’re going to be disappointed.
View Quote
No back seat, not that the zn6 has much either, but my 2 little ones fit in mine.

That said, the main reason I am wanting a new car is size. I want a 4 dr.  I am dying to buy an SS sedan. Cost is what is keeping keep from doing it right now tho.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Generation 2 will fix a lot of the problems. 2.4 liter turbocharged engine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
These guys threw a supercharger and other parts at one. Then some track time.

https://www.powernationtv.com/build/127/opposites-attract-scion?episode=EP2017-03
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As someone who has driven the shit out of both. The brz handles MUCH better. The weight of the 350 is very evident when driving them imo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That 4-800 lb difference still puts a 350z a lot lighter than many other things.

You also get much better stock brakes and 100 more horsepower while still having a 49/51 weight distribution.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Owned a BRZ for a few years and it is a ton of fun to drive.  It does not have the power to race people from stop light to stop light, but it handles really nicely.

If you are going to want to upgrade it, it's not that hard to do and the basic are a pretty good start (low center of gravity being the biggest).  But then you should think about what you could get counting the cost of all the improvements you want.

Me, I have the OTS tune which mostly helps drivability and adds a few HP, but otherwise it is all stock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That 4-800 lb difference still puts a 350z a lot lighter than many other things.

You also get much better stock brakes and 100 more horsepower while still having a 49/51 weight distribution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I don't disagree about the brakes. Though the 17+ track pack fixes that.

I used to run out of brakes constantly on mine... then I installed a Brembo gt kit front and rear. They have saved me multiple times from my own stupidity.

And to add to the posted above, stoplight to stoplight, or freeway runs... don't bother.

In the corners, esp. Tight corners, it can be a monster dressed as grandma.  A local tuning shop had their GTR(a monster of a car.) Out on one of the local back roads. Driven by thier paid race driver.  He couldn't believe I was pushing him in the tight stuff. Any time there was a straight, he was gone. Tight twisties... I pushed him. With 172bhp.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I daily mine 325mi a day currently and am still excited to get in it every morning

Car is currently 300-325whp and will be getting more power in a week or two I can gap Camaro SS on the highway no problem and in the mountains I haven’t bumped into a car that can come close to hanging

I’m 6’2 275 and have no problems getting in or out of the car and the seat isn’t close to being slid all the way back

It’s a forever car for me

https://i.ibb.co/PzVyZBb/6043-FE1-B-01-D5-4-F38-B71-E-63390-EB4-D1-B0.jpg
View Quote
Please do tell.  Sincerely interested.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#30]
The BRZ is very good at what it is designed to do.  The problem is, most car buyers just want to go fast when the light turns green.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
E85 and boost on a built bottom end I would guess.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 4,500 miles on a 2017.  Great fun as a daily driver.  I miss the hydraulic steering and the shifter from my Miata though.  My wife's bff has a 2013 BRZ that has been perfect.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Had one

My daily driver from 2012 thru 14

6spd summer tires. Never lost control during snow 1-2 inches

If I get a chance I'd get another

Attachment Attached File

F-n cancer made me get rid of her
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edlebrock supercharger and E85 bigger injectors and fuel pump

Stock bottom end

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Edlebrock supercharger and E85 bigger injectors and fuel pump

Stock bottom end

https://i.ibb.co/rfc3Sfs/DBA77414-FF48-4-E91-A544-57042-D9-B16-A4.jpg
View Quote
Nice, thank you.

ETA Approx cost on adds?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I love mine. Super light, and the most "mechanical" car you can get, today, IMHO. Even with the electric power steering, it seems like you can really feel exactly what the car is doing at all times. That and the fact that it really isn't very fast, means you can really push it, and have fun with it, on the road. I have a blast just running out to lunch.

Cars that are actually fast are rarely forgiving, and the cops never are. I'd rather have a slow car that I can drive fast than have a fast car I could never enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Cars look great, but I think it's sad they have less power than a 15 year older Honda S2000.  And the S2000 is a much cooler car.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:22:58 AM EDT
[#39]
How these compare to the 8th Gen Civic Si?
The power specs are about the same, and I never felt that the 07 model that I had was underpowered.
Think I would be happy with a BRZ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#40]
They needed awd and 100 more hp, then they would have been cool.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They needed awd and 100 more hp, then they would have been cool.
View Quote
You can buy cars with those specs...for $10,000-$15,000 & 600lbs more.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Again, is this thing really slow, and how does it compare to other small, sporty cars in its price range as a daily driver?
How about the reliability compared to others?
I'm currently looking into a new Si, BRZ/86, or a Miata to replace my old Si.
Just want to add that the BRZ seems to be just about the only thing I can find that is actually in stock, and in a manual.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#43]
The whole premise of the car is barebones FR sports coupe with enough power, but not a lot. It's a lively little car with good feedback that CAN be driven everyday, but will lack some things that a more comfort oriented car will offer.

It's going to be less cramped and sport oriented than something like an s2000, but more sporty than a full blown econobox. There is also a huge aftermarket if you decide to modify it for autocross or drift duty. It's one of the cars that, IMO, put Toyota back on the map with regards to driving excitement.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#44]
I sell
Them.  Sold many.

Do
The WRX.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I sell
Them.  Sold many.

Do
The WRX.
View Quote
Looked into the WRX as well, but isn't it in the top 10 of cars people regret buying?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Again, is this thing really slow, and how does it compare to other small, sporty cars in its price range as a daily driver?
Just want to add that the BRZ seems to be just about the only thing I can find that is actually in stock, and in a manual.
View Quote
Not slow, on the street you'll rarely get the opportunity to put down 200hp.  There are dozens of articles/videos comparing the cars in this segment.  Your best answer is to go drive one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nice, thank you.

ETA Approx cost on adds?
View Quote
Around 5k because I bought new if you search the Facebook groups you can get mods for pennies on the dollar
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For reference, I drive a Crown Vic with a transmission that slips when it is cold outside, and makes horrendous compressing spring noises every time I hit a bump or turn the steering wheel more than an inch. I find 220 horsepower sufficient for a 4400 pound car.
View Quote
Grease your control arms.

Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Around 5k because I bought new if you search the Facebook groups you can get mods for pennies on the dollar
View Quote
Thanks, not bad at all.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s not a stoplight race king but it’s not slow.  Your satisfaction will come in the way you can effortly put distance on people on the corners and tight turns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top