Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Edlebrock supercharger and E85 bigger injectors and fuel pump

Stock bottom end

https://i.ibb.co/rfc3Sfs/DBA77414-FF48-4-E91-A544-57042-D9-B16-A4.jpg
View Quote
Tick tick tick.

That said, fuckin rad!!!!

How do you like the edlebrock? I've been eyeballing a Jackson c38 kit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine has one with an LS swap. He loves it.

[edit:] He calls it an FRSS.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/146/IMG-1666-269296.jpg
View Quote
This has been the conundrum for me.  An ls3 would be wicked fun, stock.  But 25 grand. Whereas a blower and ancillary parts is around 10.

Plus stupid ass CA has some laws that would make the swap hard to do legally.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They needed awd and 100 more hp, then they would have been cool.
View Quote
Aaaaaaaand, you don't get "it"...
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The cats can't be more than 3 inches from their original position...   confront and under then engine....

Custom stupid headers to get a BAR sticker, then regular headers.  Most cops leave you alone when they see a BAR tag.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Used 07-10 5.7V8 tundras.

You're welcome.

Link Posted: 2/15/2019 3:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]
neat, slow, I want one
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Noisy, crappy interior, miserable to drive on the interstate (the car wanders horribly) suspension doesn’t handle bumps well, upsets easily, known to have bad paint, weird power delivery (which has supposedly been fixed), and while the steering isn’t bad in the great scheme of things, it’s quite numb for a sports car.  I’ve owned a BRZ and an NA and NB Miata, and driven the NC Miata, and they’re fun slow, the BRZ is just slow.

Edit:  And if you do buy one, look used as there are tons that have under 30000mi on Auto Trader, and quite a few that have well under 10000mi, as it seems people buy them and then realize how much it sucks to live with them
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It’s not a stoplight race king but it’s not slow.  Your satisfaction will come in the way you can effortly put distance on people on the corners and tight turns.
View Quote
But what about safely passing in the mountains?

Twisty roads in CO don’t have many legal opportunities for passing, and being slower than a minivan does not seem very promising.   There is a ~10 mile stretch of US50 that IIRC has one passing zone, and that isnt even at a high altitude.   Getting around trucks and RVs heading up the passes is the only chance to have an empty road on the way down.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Twisty roads in CO don’t have many legal opportunities for passing, and being slower than a minivan does not seem very promising.   There is a ~10 mile stretch of US50 that IIRC has one passing zone, and that isnt even at a high altitude.   Getting around trucks and RVs heading up the passes is the only chance to have an empty road on the way down.
View Quote
Lol.  It does 0-60 in about 6 seconds.  That was fast back in the ‘80s and ‘90s.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I like blasting by them with my Fiesta ST.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a spotless ‘14 FR-S last fall for 15k.  Had 36k on the clock and some extras.   That’s half the price it was new.

For me it is a toy, but when I drive it to work and on trips it’s a fine commute car.  Comfortable, great vision out the front. It is low and a bit hard to get out of, but that’s good training.

There are a ton of mods and how-to videos out there, so if you like that sort of thing they are worth a look.

Handling is great, but the power is way off where it should have been from the factory.  Mine has headers and a tune which supposedly adds twenty HP to the wheels.  That’s a 15% jump and very noticeable.

Even so, there is a super charger sitting next to it waiting for me to get to it.

Gets 30 mpg, but a tiny tank... you’ll only have about ten usable gallons.

Manual and automatics are available. A few trim levels, but no other options.

I hear they are super reliable, but there is a valve spring recall on the ‘13s.  Apparently that’s a big job for the dealers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I’d go for a Ford Focus RS

Go big or go home
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I hear they are super reliable, but there is a valve spring recall on the ‘13s.  Apparently that’s a big job for the dealers.
View Quote
Mine's in for it right now; has been since last Monday. Should hopefully be finished today.

Doesn't bother me, it's a first month of production car (March 2012). I bought the A model, I expect a few bugs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
They bumped up the performance just a little in the 86 over the old FRS.  My ‘17 86 with 6-speed manual has plenty enough zoom to get me giggling.  I put TRD catback on it which seems to have helped the midrange torque dip and it sounds glorious inside the cabin while driving it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can buy cars with those specs...for $10,000-$15,000 & 600lbs more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can buy cars with those specs...for $10,000-$15,000 & 600lbs more.
while they may weigh more, the WRX costs about the same as the BRZ...
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’ll do fine I’m up in the mountains weekly in fairplay
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You’ll do fine I’m up in the mountains weekly in fairplay
View Quote
Thank you, that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
My BIL had an FRS for a while. Fun car.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not a stoplight race king but it's not slow.  Your satisfaction will come in the way you can effortly put distance on people on the corners and tight turns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Again, is this thing really slow, and how does it compare to other small, sporty cars in its price range as a daily driver?
How about the reliability compared to others?
I'm currently looking into a new Si, BRZ/86, or a Miata to replace my old Si.
Just want to add that the BRZ seems to be just about the only thing I can find that is actually in stock, and in a manual.
It's not a stoplight race king but it's not slow.  Your satisfaction will come in the way you can effortly put distance on people on the corners and tight turns.
People always say that, but cars only make up for people who can't drive to a point, I've had plenty of little cars not be able to hang with me, or conversely, rode their bumper while they tried to use all that hyped up cornering ability to no avail. (Bot in my 72 Mach 1 and my gutless heavy mk3 supra).

In fact, I used to troll miata's on a road where i live that's popular for sports cars to run. I'd let them tag along, then hot foot it into some really nasty corners and watch as they got all squirmy trying to keep from losing it while I powered through just from knowing the corners.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
People always say that, but cars only make up for people who can't drive to a point, I've had plenty of little cars not be able to hang with me, or conversely, rode their bumper while they tried to use all that hyped up cornering ability to no avail. (Bot in my 72 Mach 1 and my gutless heavy mk3 supra).

In fact, I used to troll miata's on a road where i live that's popular for sports cars to run. I'd let them tag along, then hot foot it into some really nasty corners and watch as they got all squirmy trying to keep from losing it while I powered through just from knowing the corners.
View Quote
True that drivers make a big difference but if you’re a good driver you can do amazing things in that tight handling little 86/BRZ/FRS.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#22]
The Subaru BRZ is RWD. That's sacrilegious since all Subarus must be AWD.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Ecoboost Mustang.

Do it.
Sub-5 second 0-60 stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol.  It does 0-60 in about 6 seconds.  That was fast back in the '80s and '90s.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Twisty roads in CO don't have many legal opportunities for passing, and being slower than a minivan does not seem very promising.   There is a ~10 mile stretch of US50 that IIRC has one passing zone, and that isnt even at a high altitude.   Getting around trucks and RVs heading up the passes is the only chance to have an empty road on the way down.
Lol.  It does 0-60 in about 6 seconds.  That was fast back in the '80s and '90s.  
Might want to look at a calendar, it's 2019. A Subaru forester is faster than that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Might want to look at a calendar, it's 2019. A Subaru forester is faster than that.
View Quote
If all you want to do is a straight line contest.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
YOU are the one that remarked on 0-60 times bench racing, don't complain now that your post doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
YOU are the one that remarked on 0-60 times bench racing, don't complain now that your post doesn't hold up to scrutiny.
View Quote
I ain’t as pissed off at you as you are me so have at it bro.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I daily mine 325mi a day currently
View Quote

Holy shit that’s terrible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m six foot and the trick I learned for exiting low slung vehicles is to put my hand down on the door sill.  It’s a sports car not a sedan.
View Quote
Thats how I get out of my Camaro
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thats how I get out of my Camaro
View Quote
That’s where I learned it.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy crap is it shoe horned in there....
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Incredibly fun to drive especially on curves.  Not mega fast.  Looks more expensive than it is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I ain't as pissed off at you as you are me so have at it bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ain't as pissed off at you as you are me so have at it bro.
I'm not pissed at all, I'm just pointing out that YOU were talking about 0-60 times which are out of date, I pointed out a 0-60 time, and then your attempt to move goalposts over 0-60 times failed since you brought them up with an open context.

Also, your trying to move the goal posts about 0-60 times being only good for straight line ignores that it's a good indicator of what a cars going to be like rolling out of tight corners.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Junk
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe he's on to something...if it had awd and 100 more hp, the 911 GT3 would have been cool.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Noisy, crappy interior, miserable to drive on the interstate (the car wanders horribly) suspension doesn’t handle bumps well, upsets easily, known to have bad paint, weird power delivery (which has supposedly been fixed), and while the steering isn’t bad in the great scheme of things, it’s quite numb for a sports car.  I’ve owned a BRZ and an NA and NB Miata, and driven the NC Miata, and they’re fun slow, the BRZ is just slow.

Edit:  And if you do buy one, look used as there are tons that have under 30000mi on Auto Trader, and quite a few that have well under 10000mi, as it seems people buy them and then realize how much it sucks to live with them
View Quote
You left out the notchy shifter but for $26,100 (what I paid for a brand new '17 86), I consider it a sweet deal.

You're right though, my Miata was more fun to drive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had one going on 5 years. It's primarily a track car though. If I had the space I'd buy a second one for a daily.

It's cheap, not super powerful(imo enough for the street) but it handles great. If you value handling you will like it, if you value other things like lots of power, nice interior, or quiet ride then you may not.

If you have other questions, ask away.

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Looked at tbe BRZ... seemed like a fun car.
Subaru dealer offered to make me a hell of a deal on the one he had in stock.

Got a sweet deal on a base model '18 5.0 Mustang with the 6 speed manual instead.
I don't regret the decision...love that car.. handles great in the curves and has more than enough power to keep me happy
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fram
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#40]
The platform is a pleasure to drive if you like diving into corners at hair raising speed and the afterwards being like that wasn’t shit.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I think I'll definitely test drive one soon. Any model years to avoid?
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The BRZ is very good at what it is designed to do.  The problem is, most car buyers just want to go fast when the light turns green.
View Quote
GD never seems to get this.

OP if you're looking for a cheap sportscar for a vehicle to go along with a pickup then i'd look at a NB or NC Miata depending on your budget. The FRS/86/BRZ are great sports cars if you need the extra interior or trunk space. If you want something a bit more "pure" then a Miata will probably be a better value.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For reference, I drive a Crown Vic with a transmission that slips when it is cold outside, and makes horrendous compressing spring noises every time I hit a bump or turn the steering wheel more than an inch. I find 220 horsepower sufficient for a 4400 pound car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUuRVkgJmg
I destroyed a brz with my 17' sienna also. By at least 5 legnths.... They fucked up when they built that car. Minivans aren't fucking suppose to be faster than sport cars.....

Why they didn't do the FA20T engine is completely fucking beyond me..... idiots. ....
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I own one.  Another point on speed and what I think is a disconnect.  It doesn't have the torque to launch itself, so if you're testing 0-60 and the like, yeah its "slow."  When you're already driving 30 mph, however, you can keep your revs wherever you like, and if you keep them high, the car is more responsive.

Yes, that doesn't mean you'll beat a Hellcat from 30-60 either, but in terms of how the car actually drives and feels, it makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I own one.  Another point on speed and what I think is a disconnect.  It doesn't have the torque to launch itself, so if you're testing 0-60 and the like, yeah its "slow."  When you're already driving 30 mph, however, you can keep your revs wherever you like, and if you keep them high, the car is more responsive.

Yes, that doesn't mean you'll beat a Hellcat from 30-60 either, but in terms of how the car actually drives and feels, it makes a big difference.
View Quote
People don't think naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines be like it is but it do.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm not that tall and will tell you, it's tough getting in and out of them.  If you want a vehicle that handles corners well, pass on the BRZ and get a WRX.

The BRZ is the only Subaru vehicle that I've never sold.  They just aren't that popular compared to the WRX.
View Quote
I think that's because people look at horsepower and get the WRX, even though can barely use it in day to driving, with exception for merging onto a highway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Wait for the new one. Hopefully it will be the car they should have built the first time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I destroyed a brz with my 17' sienna also. By at least 5 legnths.... They fucked up when they built that car. Minivans aren't fucking suppose to be faster than sport cars.....

Why they didn't do the FA20T engine is completely fucking beyond me..... idiots. ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For reference, I drive a Crown Vic with a transmission that slips when it is cold outside, and makes horrendous compressing spring noises every time I hit a bump or turn the steering wheel more than an inch. I find 220 horsepower sufficient for a 4400 pound car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUuRVkgJmg

Well, it's two wildly different design philosophies.

Modern minivan drivetrains are designed for the sort of people that want to run with traffic without breaking 3k RPMs because revving is "bad." A fun consequence of this is that they have far more power than they need or that anyone expects them to have.

The 86/BRZ is designed for the sort of person that likes to rev it out while running through the gears on public roads in every day driving.

If there's one word that describes the 86/BRZ's design philosophy, it's balance. Everything is put together in a well thought out package that is designed from the ground up to be controllable, predictable, and satisfying. And it is.

Adding 100hp would ruin that balance. The car would need improvements to the chassis, suspension, brakes, transmission, differential, tires, and everything. Do all that, and suddenly, your $25k reasonably priced car is now $40k+.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm not pissed at all, I'm just pointing out that YOU were talking about 0-60 times which are out of date, I pointed out a 0-60 time, and then your attempt to move goalposts over 0-60 times failed since you brought them up with an open context.

Also, your trying to move the goal posts about 0-60 times being only good for straight line ignores that it's a good indicator of what a cars going to be like rolling out of tight corners.
View Quote
Context dude. You ain’t got it. He was replying to someone asking about the car having enough shit to safely pass on CO mountain roads. He replied it would do 0-60 in 6 seconds...which may not be the fastest but is no slouch.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top