Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 7:57:19 PM EDT
-specifically a friends model 439 9mm?

I'm assuming lock the slide back, then tap the locking lever out the other side?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 3rd Gen S&W 45 but it's at work in my locker so I'll try this from memory. You don't lock the slide back but, IIRC, you pull the slide back to the locking notch and push the slide lock out. Then allow the slide to come forward until the spring tension is gone and just slide it off the frame. Be carefull taking out the op-spring and guide, it's under a little tension and may get away from you. Re-assemble in reverse but it's a little tricky when you go to put the slide lock back in, the slide doesn't go back all the way. You have to line up the slide lock hole with the notch under the barrel. It only takes maybe 1/8th to 1/4 inch of movement rearward.

Edited because Cops can't type worth a damn.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sukebe's got it right and getting the thing back together is a bitch - make sure that the barrel is centered in the slide. The first ten times I tore mine apart it was a bitch to get together again. Now it's just automatic and I rarely get it wrong.

If your friend lost the manual he can order one for free from Smith and Wesson.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, Easy. Thanks alot for the fast reply fellas![cheers]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 59.  Don't pull all the way back.  The slide lock should pop out with finger pressure.

If it's like the 59 (and original 39) when you put the slide back you have to push the safety(?) links back by the hammer down to slide the slide far enough back.  It should go on easy, if something isn't easy with just finger pressure then something is lining up wrong.  The recoil spring fits in a little notch.

If you think of it as a 1911 without freeing the recoil spring first, that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe this will help.
[url]swcustomersupport.vista.com/userimages/Pistol.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The best way to strip S&W autos.

Remove the magazine.  Lock the slide to the rear  and make sure it is unloaded.  Dump into trash.  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Everybody, thanks for the help.

Mattja-That's exactly what my friend needed.

sherrick-I've suggested the same to him[:D] I'm strictly SIG,HK,Glock(yep,Glock) and quality 1911s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top