Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/14/2003 1:16:36 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/

UPDATE:  Latest news on the tube states he HAS been captured alive-- news conference scheduled for 7am EST.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/3317429.stm[/url]

[url]http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E4D19123-9DD3-11D1-B44E-006097071264.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that... would really be something.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
CNN showing pics of 4th Inf taking pics and lighting up cigars. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#4]
British sources now reporting same info.  Looks like the old boy is indeed captured or killed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, since they locked my thread, I'll let you guys read what the AP says...

[url]http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ_SADDAM?SITE=OHCOD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT[/url]

News Agency Says Saddam Detained in Iraq

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) -- Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has been detained in Iraq, Iran's official news agency reported Sunday.

"Saddam Hussein was arrested in his hometown of Tikrit," IRNA quoted top Iraqi leader, Jalal Talabani as saying. It gave no further details.

In Iraq, a separate rumor that Saddam was captured or killed near Tikrit sent hundreds of exultant people into the streets of this northern Iraqi city Sunday. They fired in the air in celebration and congratulated each other.

In Baghdad, a spokeswoman for the U.S.-led occupation notified reporters that a "very important" announcement will be made at a news conference scheduled for 7 a.m. EST, but did not say who would be the speaker. The spokeswoman requested anonymity.

In Tikrit, rumors that the former dictator was in custody were making the rounds, but reporters attached to the 4th Infantry Division, the U.S. unit in charge of security in the area, said there was no unusual activity there overnight or early Sunday.

"We are celebrating like it's a wedding," said Mustapha Sheriff, a resident of Kirkuk. "We are finally rid of that criminal."

"This is the joy of a lifetime," said Ali Al-Bashiri, another Kirkuk resident. "I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule."

Saddam, who ruled Iraq for 23 years until his ouster in April, has been a fugitive since then with a $25 million bounty on his head.

Rumors about Saddam's capture or death periodically surface, and a hotline set up by the occupation authorities for tips on his whereabouts is flooded with callers.

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/3708151/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Confirmations coming in from multiple sources (hope it's true!)

[url]http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_846934.html[/url]

[url]http://www.boston.com/dailynews/348/world/Iran_s_official_news_agency_sa:.shtml[/url]

Supposedly captured in a basement in Tikrit, from info provided by locals... also reports of predawn meetings this morning in DC (unusual for a snowy Sunday morning)

Way to go 4th!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=421824§ion=news[/url]

nothing on Al-Jezeera yet (FWIW)

[url]http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage[/url]

Supposedly doing DNA testing to ensure it's not one of his doubles...

Celebratory gunfire heard in Iraq...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:49:55 AM EDT
[#9]
His kids went down fighting, bastard fucks that they were.

Hope they found him in women's clothing, cowering in a rat hole.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:51:08 AM EDT
[#10]
How fucking awesome is this!?!

All the liberal ass monkey's that said we'd never find him can kiss my red blooded, door gunnin', American ASS!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:54:34 AM EDT
[#11]
[size=6][b][red]Merry Christmas !![/red][/b][/size=6]

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:56:16 AM EDT
[#12]
This ought to cause quite a stir over on DU.  I'm waiting with bated breath to read their inane comments. [snoopy]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
W00t!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:58:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Guys guys guys, you're forgetting the important thing here:  Going over to DU to see them tear their hair out that their boyfriend's been captured! [:D]

Bush is sooooo re-elected.

JailBush  (1000+ posts)       Sun Dec-14-03 05:48 AM
Original message
Saddam's Capture: Now what?

If Team Exxon really has nabbed Saddam Hussein, what would be the fallout? How should we react? How will Iraqis react?

First, I'm sick and tired of people acting the way they think the public wants us to act, or acting in a manner that Repuglicans can't exploit. But that probably has little bearing here: I think most Americans would welcome Saddam Hussein's capture. After all, he's one of the world's great tyrants (and a notable U.S. ally).

I think the most obvious negative aspect of Saddam's capture would be constant media coverage of the Great Leader basking in the glow of success. We could expect the media to report new polls that show Bush's popularity jumping up many percentage points.

But I would argue that this may be good; better that the sheeple get that surge of respect out of their systems now than have Saddam Hussein captured on the eve of the next presidential election. For I suspect Americans and Iraqis will be in for a major letdown after Hussein is caputured.

Over the short term, at least, Saddam's outraged supporters might actually intensify their guerilla activities. Iraqi freedom fighters will continue to fight for their homeland indefinitely. Liberated of Saddam's ghost, they might actually become more aggressive, too.

Saddam's capture would also inspire a flood of coverage probing his life - a life filled with friends like Ronald Reagana and Donald Rumsfeld. The White House can't be happy about that.

How will Saddam be tried? WHERE will he be tried? Since his victims were mostly Iraqis (including Kurds) and Iranians, he ought to be tried in Iraq. In fact, Iraqis ought to run the entire show.

But George Bush, Inc. will obviously want to run the show - partly to keep Saddam's secrets secret and partly to milk him for all the glory they can get. I suspect Karl Rove will bend over backwards trying to figure out a way to get a photograph of George W. Bush with Saddam Hussein - like a great white hunter with his prey.

What kind of sentence would the White House give Saddam? His crimes deserve nothing less than death or life in prison - but life in prison where? Do they want to publicize the horrors of Guantanamo by sending Saddam there? If they give him better treatment, then people will ask why the prisoners at Gitmo - some of whom may be innocent - are treated worse than a bloodthirsty dictator.

There's one possibility that's positively dreadful: Suppose Saddam Hussein admits he had weapons of mass destruction? Or suppose the Pentagon falsely claims he made that admission? Bush would then be holding all the aces - Saddam Hussein and his elusive WMD's. That wouldn't change the fact that Bush lied his way into a war for profit - but don't tell that to the American sheeple.

On the other hand, the world at large is so fed up with Bush's lies, it's possible the vast majority of humankind wouldn't believe any confession publicized in the U.S. media.

And even if Saddam did lead Team Exxon to weapons of mass destruction, one fundamental truth remains: It won't change anything. We'll still be bogged down in a vile war that we can never truly win. And that simple truth will become even clearer after Saddam is captured.

Frankly, I suspect George Bush may come to regret the day Saddam Hussein was captured - assuming he has indeed been captured. Saddam may represent one great burst of glory - sort of like the dot.com bubble.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This ought to cause quite a stir over on DU.  I'm waiting with bated breath to read their inane comments. [snoopy]
View Quote

No kidding... you know they'll all be saying it was faked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:01:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm giddy as hell, but I'm going to stay up till 4am to watch the news confrence and DNA confirmation before I jump for joy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=902715

And so it begins.....[ROFL2]

Shit... edited to add that Raven beat me to it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:03:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Seems like the sentiment is "Big deal?  The was still illegal."  

mpeach the gop  (1000+ posts)     Sun Dec-14-03 05:25 AM
Response to Reply #6

8. This still doesn't justify smirk invasion of Iraq

No wmd, no 911 link. I'ts just dumb luck if this is Sadam. bush is still a cold blooded killer.
-----------------------------------------------

And this one, who looks at the Ba'ath party holdovers fighting Americans are actually the Iraqi people rising up for freedom:

[b]Merlin  (1000+ posts)     Sun Dec-14-03 05:58 AM
Response to Reply #2

67. Wrong. It won't decrease a thing.

You have obviously bought the line that the resistance there is due to Saddam. It's not. It's indigenous. It's people there who are pissed off because we've conquered them. It's incredible the American people--who claim to prize their freedom and independence above all else--can't understand this simple fact.[/b]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=421824§ion=news[/url]

nothing on Al-Jezeera yet (FWIW)

[url]http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage[/url]

Supposedly doing DNA testing to ensure it's not one of his doubles...

Celebratory gunfire heard in Iraq...
View Quote

Anyone here watching this?  Well here's hoping that it is him we captured and NOT one of his doubles...  

And bin Laden's next. [kill]

OFF TOPIC, Isn't Aljazeera the site tha's being watched by the FBI's because the warning before 9/11?  Or is it a different site?

[marines]

For the men and women who are serving are country, this is a major victory for us, we shall be victorious so never give up as Freedom will prevail.

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:06:03 AM EDT
[#20]
too phuquin' cool!

maybe...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I hope it is him.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Can you say "portable DNA test kit"?

Good he's alive so some of those who knew him can confirm it's Saddam, like the tribal heads did with Julius Limbani in "Wild Geese".
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey, it ain't out on Drudge [i][b]yet[/i][/b]!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:10:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Let me sum this up: We fucking rock.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let me sum this up: We fucking rock.
View Quote

Should we rename the country Weraq?
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:13:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Sure, lets.[:)]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I really, really wish he were dead, instead!

I can see bungling his prosecution in the future!

Surely some jackazzed lawyers in the United States will be arm-wrestling to see who can mount a creditable defense of this POS!

His head on the end of a stick carried by some US Army NCO would be a much more satisfactory conclusion!

And so [u]final[/u]!

Howard 'Moe Curly' Dean and the rest of the Nine Dwarves should be pizzing themselves right about now!

Eric The(NeverthelessEcstaticIfTrue)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I don't know....  remember all the questions when we got his sons?  If this indeed is "Saddom" as Bush Sr. liked to call him then there will be NO questions.  We got his ass and that's it.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see his head on a poll as well.

DG84
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:19:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep......3rd ACR here in Al Asad confirmed it.  I would give my left nut to be in Tikrit right now!

JH94
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:19:57 AM EDT
[#30]
if it's true I'll have a party and I'll get drunk!!!!!!!!!!!! MERRY XMAS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!
[beer] [party] [headbang] [beer] [party] [headbang]
[beer] [party] [headbang]

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:25:46 AM EDT
[#31]
They're saying he had grown a beard, and was graying somewhat... reputed to have had several million $US with him when captured... did not offer resistance

Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:26:33 AM EDT
[#32]
God bless President George Bush, God bless our troops around the world, and God bless the United States of America!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:28:13 AM EDT
[#33]
F'n Awesome!!! Great job to all the soldiers in country! I wish they could collect a piece of the reward. They might be eligible to get the million bucks Bruce Willis put up since it's his money.

How much do you want to bet that Bush won't get any kind of credit as opposed to the constant whining in the press about the lousy job that he's been doing why he hadn't nabbed Saddam or Osama Bin Laden yet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#34]
JI7  (1000+ posts)     Sun Dec-14-03 06:18 AM
Original message
thank Hillary Clinton for saddam's capture

she gave the troops a big boost with her visit there. unlike the chimp who was shamed (though he didn't really feel shame) into going after she made her visit and who only stayed for a few mintures. hillary actually visited around and spend time to listen to the troops and took questions. she showed them she really cares.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=902770
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#35]
[img]http://www.toda.ws/holladoc.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.toda.ws/ownedsaddam.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:31:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Original message

she gave the troops a big boost with her visit there. unlike the chimp who was shamed (though he didn't really feel shame) into going after she made her visit and who only stayed for a few mintures. hillary actually visited around and spend time to listen to the troops and took questions. she showed them she really cares.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=902770
View Quote

Mein Gott, I think those people must be snorting lines of plutonium sometimes...
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Original message

View Quote

That's some funny shit!  I damn near had beer come out of my nose when I read that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#39]
The DUers are morons, you must understand. Forget them, fuck them, and they now must understand that the democrats will not see another four years in office.

Back to the "Saddam Has Been Captured Party!"
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Hooray
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:36:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Original message

View Quote

I didn't think it was possible, but I do believe that is evidence of someone having a negative IQ
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#42]
FOX is reporting that DNA testing has confirmed his identity.  I wonder what they'll do with him after the long and excurciating interrogation? [:D]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Congratulations to every soldier, sailor, airman and Marine that had a part in bringing that SOB down!

No longer can the Democrats tarnish your victory!

I hear Tom Dasshole is "shocked and saddened".
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#44]
What a great moral boost for our troops.  And a wonderful Chrismas gift for our nation.

God bless America, God bless our brave fighting men.

Now somebody get a rope.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:44:23 AM EDT
[#45]
How's this for a Party?

Bush fly's back into Iraq with a C-17 behind him full of Budweiser.  He steps off the plane, they hand out the beer, and after a wonderful toast in front of the troops Bush pulls out a knife, stabs the Bud pounder, and shotguns the brew.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:45:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Blahahahaha!![LOL]  They had a hard time finding soldiers that could even stand being in the same room with her!
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#47]
kinna surprising that they could turn the DNA test in under 12 hours (supposedly how long ago they captured him)... there are two kinds of DNA testing, I think, (mitochondrial and ?) one takes longer than the other, still, they must have had the matching DNA (from Qusay and Ubay or ebay or whatever the hell his name was) & kit ready to go...

* still chuckling over DU giving Hitlery credit for nabbing Saddam *
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:45:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Tony Blair has just confirmed that is indeed Saddam Hussein: [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3317429.stm[/url]

Edit: Made the link HOT.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:47:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How's this for a Party?

Bush fly's back into Iraq with a C-17 behind him full of Budweiser.  He steps off the plane, they hand out the beer, and after a wonderful toast in front of the troops Bush pulls out a knife, stabs the Bud pounder, and shotguns the brew.
View Quote

1.  He supposedly doesn't drink.

2.  No way the SS will let him have a knife after he almost choked himself with a pretzel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:49:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
kinna surprising that they could turn the DNA test in under 12 hours (supposedly how long ago they captured him)... there are two kinds of DNA testing, I think, (mitochondrial and ?) one takes longer than the other, still, they must have had the matching DNA (from Qusay and Ubay or ebay or whatever the hell his name was) & kit ready to go...
View Quote

Plus he had a few mil of US currency with him...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top