View Quote
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Dunno, maybe 13 mins from now
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they can ban bump stocks like this then braces are the least of our concerns. They can pick anything they don’t like and do away with it at this point if this stands.
View Quote
This right here. I’m seriously considering not buying anything new at all because ultimately it’s a waste of money when they all of the sudden say it’s illegal and you’re a felon if you have one. Pretty sad where our country is going. But hey at least we should allow illegals to come here because they deserve our country.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This right here. I’m seriously considering not buying anything new at all because ultimately it’s a waste of money when they all of the sudden say it’s illegal and you’re a felon if you have one. Pretty sad where our country is going. But hey at least we should allow illegals to come here because they deserve our country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they can ban bump stocks like this then braces are the least of our concerns. They can pick anything they don’t like and do away with it at this point if this stands.
...you do realize when that's the situation you should buy more and be ready to use it when the day comes, right?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My personal opinion is that braces aren't really on the radar of many people outside of the BATFE, so short of them becoming super high profile (like the bumpstock after the Vegas shooting), I don't see them going anywhere for the time being.
View Quote
So you're saying braces are safe....until someone commits a mass shooting with one. The leftists can arrange that....
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The one advantage we have with braces is that, near as I can tell, they are far more popular than bump stocks.  That means more political risk with a ban.  And for those who are sure to say that the politicians won't care, ask yourself why handgun bans haven't met with much success despite the fact that everyone knows they are the favored firearms of criminals.
View Quote
There may be some truth to this. Nowadays every time I go to the range I see at least one braced AR15 or AK pistol.

It wasn't that long ago the brace didn't exist. Their popularity has exploded.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There may be some truth to this. Nowadays every time I go to the range I see at least one braced AR15 or AK pistol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The one advantage we have with braces is that, near as I can tell, they are far more popular than bump stocks.  That means more political risk with a ban.  And for those who are sure to say that the politicians won't care, ask yourself why handgun bans haven't met with much success despite the fact that everyone knows they are the favored firearms of criminals.

Proliferation is the best defense against a ban.  Back in the 70s, handguns were the primary target of the banners.  It must have seemed to them that Mr. and Mrs. America would see the clear logic of banning the guns most often used by criminals.  But they didn't get very far, because handguns were simply too mainstream.  Most people don't care about strangers getting murdered as much as they care about something being taken from them, or from their friends or family.

So, in the 1980s, the gun banners shifted their focus to guns that were viewed as being outside the mainstream, something that could be more readily be painted as evil in the eyes of voters.  And so the term "assault weapon" was born, and the banners met with significantly more success.  But they overplayed their hand and made those "assault weapons" very popular.  Another nationwide AWB will alienate a lot more voters now, and the gun banners know it.  So now they have targeted the ultimate fringe item, the bump stock, the "silly range toys" that few people bought and many ridiculed.  You want to keep the same thing from happening to braces?  Buy more of them, and encourage your friends to buy them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I think the chances of a legal AR-Pistol being used in a mass shooting aren't that high.
Besides the usual statistics of AR use in crime, why would they bother to keep a pistol brace before they commit such a crime?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
IDGAF, not giving up my braces.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I expect a statement from the NRA any day how.......

Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of pistol braces, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.  The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic pistols to function like semi automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations.  
View Quote
Can't you read?  The NRA clearly isn't calling for a BAN.  They were against a ban before they were for the not a ban ban and want to ban all bans except for the bans they've previously lobbied to have banned before the ban banned their banning.  The NRA has our backs on this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about not giving them ideas

Thanks
View Quote
I really doubt they cruise Arfcom looking for ideas.

The NRA and Trump opened a door. They gave the antis a massive fucking gift.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you and the NFA have made joinder....
@Kolat
View Quote
I've been swinging from their nuts since I turned 22, and was shooting a buddy's dad's huge 22 can back when I was 15
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My guess is some dirtbag  will use a suppressor in the near future. Think of the outrage.
View Quote
They might, but a change to that will require Congress and legislation.

Not really all that comparable to the current bump stock situation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Surely the NRA will save us.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:19:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Someone should write a letter for clarification.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:22:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh i dunno, but lets just keep talking about it till they change their minds. Lets do our part to keep it at the forefront of the discussion till they take notice....again.

And what the hell, lets write a letter to the ATF while we're at it!

ETA: thread title should read "How long till gun gun owners can leave well enough alone"
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#18]
That Flash Can though
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This, if they will bat for braces then they will never go away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ADA lobby is too strong.
This, if they will bat for braces then they will never go away.
American Dental Association?

American Diabetes Association?

Maybe American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)?

Americans with Disabilities Act?  Does the DOL or the EEOC or the DOJ support braces?

What exactly are you saying?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Americans with Disabilities Act?  Does the DOL or the EEOC or the DOJ support braces?

View Quote
ADA:

Anonymously Defecating Asshole
Amazingly Deceitful Acronym
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't think braces are even on Trump's radar. He probably doesn't know they exist or what they are.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think braces are even on Trump's radar. He probably doesn't know they exist or what they are.
He didn't know what a bumpstock was until NRA pointed it out to him.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thoughts?
View Quote
A carefully crafted search with the site's search function will likely reveal links to all the thoughts that have been shared on the subject.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:06:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

He didn't know what a bumpstock was until NRA pointed it out to him.
View Quote
This.  Trump is not a 'gun guy', he relied on the NRA and their opinion on bump stocks to form his decision.  Am I disappointed in Trump over this?  Absolutely.  But never forget who it was that was whispering in his ear...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#25]
The bump stock ban came about because a bump stock, from the public’s perception, allowed a guy to “machine gun” a crowd.

It had nothing to do with “closing loopholes.”

There is no reasonable similar situation that could result from braces.

Lol at the guy that said “weeks” ‘til a ban.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The bump stock ban came about because a bump stock, from the public’s perception, allowed a guy to “machine gun” a crowd.

It had nothing to do with “closing loopholes.”

View Quote
True...….but "reasonable" is not a very promising answer to the OP's concern.

The Left will ALWAYS take more and this could embolden them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#27]
There are far more attractive anti gun goals for the Left than trying to convince the public that a gun’s overall length is a concern.

“This thing makes a normal gun unto a machine gun!”

“This thing makes a normal gun too short!

If you were going to claim to be a political thinker, which of those statements is a non-starter?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Ironically, a brace typically adds length and girth to a rifle caliber pistol.  My 10.5 pistol with SB brace and stupid ass flash can is not all that much shorter than the 14.7 with pinned FH.  About half a finger length or maybe 2"

If Trump wanted to regain votes and compromise, he could support removing SBR/SBS from NFA registry.  Would NEVER happen, but it would be nice to get something in return.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There are far more attractive anti gun goals for the Left than trying to convince the public that a gun’s overall length is a concern.

“This thing makes a normal gun unto a machine gun!”

“This thing makes a normal gun too short!

If you were going to claim to be a political thinker, which of those statements is a non-starter?
View Quote
The bolded part is the obvious better one but...….my point is the Left will never stop as you know and this bump stock ruling will embolden them to ask Trump for more IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, hold on'a sec there hoss....

If Im correct, one of the original reasons for the NFA was gangsters runnin around with subguns, ie; fully automatic and short in length rifles.

If crimes start getting committed with pistol braces you can bet the narrative will change to "evil SHORT highly  maneuverable assault gun pistols will extra killy boolits"
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Well, hold on'a sec there hoss....

If Im correct, one of the original reasons for the NFA was gangsters runnin around with subguns, ie; fully automatic and short in length rifles.

If crimes start getting committed with pistol braces you can bet the narrative will change to "evil SHORT highly  maneuverable assault gun pistols will extra killy boolits"
View Quote
You KNOW they will try something like that...….because THAT IS what they always do.

Same for pistol stocks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
It’s already on the radar. You’re foolish if you think they aren’t looking at them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#33]
This thread is basically a brain storming exercise for the gun banners next best move. I don't like it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Too late; ATF just said they won't issue rulings on accessories any longer.  So now there's no longer any protection for using a brace on a gun that wasn't part of the original complete firearm sent in for determination.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If there is a highly publicized shooting where a braced pistol is snuck in somewhere then I think we can say goodbye to braces.  Unless that happens then I doubt anyone cares enough to ban them.
View Quote
I agree with this.  I don't think most people know they exist, or understand them at all.

BTW - saw a Saint pistol yesterday in a LGS along with another unbraced pistol as well. I purchased a revolver just because and was one of 4 guns leaving the store while I was in there.

Not one of those was an AR, they were all handguns.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My guess is some dirtbag  will use a suppressor in the near future. Think of the outrage.
View Quote
Ya might have hit on something right there...whatever you need to ban all you need is a crisis that showcases the to-be-banned item and voila...the nightly news will provide the "public outrage" and all the politicians who were pre-set to jump on the crisis just read the statements prepared for them well in advance...

imo
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#37]
There is no such thing as a legal loophole.

Laws are either specific or unspecific.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#38]
i'm actually going to write the ATF and ask for a better explanation

nobody needs a pseudo-SBR or a bump stock
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Trump Jr. is an avid shooter and 2nd amendment supporter.  I say that but then again he might just be "The rich people should have guns" supporter.  I follow him on instagram and he seems to be raising his kids right and hunting with them often and shooting guns. I find it hard to believe he doesn't have more pull with his dad.

I'm pissed about the infringement and the fact the gov't just keeps fucking taking but lets be honest, the bump stock is fucking stupid.
View Quote
Irrelevant. We don't ban things for being stupid. Otherwise, we'd have banned Justin Bieber, anime, fidget spinners, and knockoff ACOGs a long time ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Just do away with the current letter and re-issue the no-shouldering letter. The ATF man could do that today if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Depends on how quickly some asshole uses one in a highly publicized shooting.....rate of fire not affected so not necessarily direct comparison. Binary triggers however
View Quote
They started binary are 100% legal in the bumpstock ban memo.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Trump will probably push for a new AWB once the next big shooting happens.
View Quote
WINNER! WINNER! Chicken Dinner
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:20:30 AM EDT
[#44]
When someone decides to go on a shooting spree with an firearm that has a brace. They'll say that is circumnavigates the NFA and allows individuals to easily conceal them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
American With Disabilities Act
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Only idiots like kcolg30 like to pay $200 and wait 18 months for approval...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Trump will probably push for a new AWB once the next big shooting happens.
View Quote
I don't think so...  Jr is pretty much one of us.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ask the NRA.
View Quote
They are drafting a letter to the ATF right now I am sure. Copying Trump too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Jesus-Tomato-Pickin-Christ, what the fuck are you room temp IQ mental midgets smokin?

Just fuckin stop it. Go stick your dick in the pickle slicer and forget about this shit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Jesus-Tomato-Pickin-Christ, what the fuck are you room temp IQ mental midgets smokin?

Just fuckin stop it. Go stick your dick in the pickle slicer and forget about this shit.
View Quote
A lot of the derpier posts in the thread are simply leftists trying to get traction undermining the NRA and Trump. Laugh at them. They're obvious.

The real problem here is that Trump/NRA gave them a talking point. Depriving someone of property via an executive order is unconstitutional. I don't like unconstitutional shit.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top