Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2003 9:18:54 AM EDT
I was watching some old Andy Griffith DVDs the other day, I love that old show. Have you ever noticed how pro-gun that show was. Now granted gun control was not an issue then. But many of the shows featured many episodes with guns. From Opie shooting at a fair (with a .22) to Andy shooting skeet and the boys and their teacher even talking about guns in history. Many episodes feature guns with no second thoughts to their PC. How many new shows have the little kids playing cowboys and indians these days?

You sure don't see that on TV any more. Ah the good old days.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder what Opie's position on the RBKA is today?  You know what a bunch of kooks they are.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The show might have reflected the general attutude towards guns in this country at that time, but gun control was an issue. Remember, the show was on before JFK was assasinated with a mail order rifle.  After that, gun control issues were brought up but died until the murders of MLK and Robert Kennedy pushed through the GCA of 68. Considering that gun control measures don't just get passed over night, the GCA saw different forms over the years between 62 and 68 when it was finally passed.
Don't forget the NFA of 34 and the FFA of 38. Gun grabbers have been with us for a long time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Never thought about it but your right. Ill bet the show was reflecting life, and contrary to what revisionists would have you believe, firearms permeated American life. To a much greater extent than exibited in the media, they still do. Cant recall which memoir, maybe Brinkleys, opens with he and his friend, both 5 or 6 off to shoot squirrels on the outskirts of town. Could you imagine the response today?

Recently moved into a new neighborhood, all new construction, so none of the neighbors know each other. At Halloween, guy comes around with 2 kids dressed as cowboys, right out of the 50's. metal cap guns and all. Seems the grandfolk dredged up these costumes. I commented on how great it was to see. He indicated nearly everyone in the area had mentioned the same thing, only a few nothing at all; and not one negative comment. That encourages me.

Turns out the guy is a shooter, as are a couple of other neighbors. Thats not the reason he dressed his kids as cowboys, but most likely is the reason he didnt give it a second thought. Pretty happy with the move so far.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Iremember an episode of Leave It To Beaver where Beaver was the only boy invited to an all girl party. While avoiding the girls he wound up in the den with the father of the house who showed off his gun collection to Beaver & I think let him hold a revolver.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top