Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 9:31:43 PM EDT
I don't know the story I just saw it on the crawl at the end of the 10 oclock news.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope like hell it wasnt the owners of "On Target" indoor range. But I'm unaware of any other Dealers in Laguna Niguel, except MAYBE a Big 5 or Walmart...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit, found the story and it sounds like On Target.  I've been there many times.  I never saw Cal AW in the store. But they do, knowingly, deal in the grey areas / loop-holes, by selling guns like the Robinson Arms M96 and FALs with the pistol grips removed.  they also sell the FAB-10 lower.  So this arrest may result insome case law one way or the other, if the giyuy has the funds to fight it. Sad to see once again the CAL DOJ is out busting dealers rather than going after the balck marketeers and such.

"[b]Laguna Niguel gun dealer arrested, 90 assault rifles confiscated[/b]

Wednesday November 26, 2003

LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (AP) Authorities seized 90 assault rifles and arrested a Laguna Niguel gun dealer for investigation of 58 felony violations for weapons dealing, the state attorney general's office said Tuesday.

Ilya Yampolsky, 38, was booked into the Orange County jail on 33 counts of possessing unregistered assault weapons, 21 counts of possessing destructive devices and four counts of offering assault weapons for sale.

[i]During a routine inspection Nov. 12, special agents in the attorney general's firearms division confiscated 90 assault rifles, shotguns, pistols and 21 destructive devices, including a grenade, at Yampolsky's shooting range and gun store.[/i]

Yampolsky, who was released Tuesday after posting bail, was not listed in telephone directories and could not be reached for comment.

An employee at Yampolsky's store, who declined to give his name, called the attorney general's statements ``too much exaggeration'' and said the store's inventory was all legal.

According to the district attorney's office, Yampolsky did not have a license to sell assault weapons or any other kind of firearms.

``The illegal sale of firearms is the number one reasons criminals are able to become armed and dangerous,'' Attorney General Bill Lockyer said in a statement. ``That is why state law requires dealers to have a license in order to sell these high-powered firearms to law enforcement and others that may legally possess them.''

Orange County prosecutors said it had not yet been determined if the case would be prosecuted at the state or federal level and the decision will depend on which jurisdiction has harsher penalties.

``If it's federal, they have to show it interfered with state commerce,'' said Susan Schroeder of the district attorney's office.

California's ban on assault weapons went into effect in 1989, and a similar law was enacted at the federal level in 1994. The federal law is set to expire next September.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)"

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to bring up bad news. I thought someone on this board would know or find the info fast and you did.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Those guys at Cal-DOJ need something to do so that Arnie won't cut their budget. Now those agents can say "yep, there is a lot AW crimes in this state so don't cut our budget," it is pretty easy to see the motivation.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#5]
He's really going to get dinged for the DD's if my meanderings thru the CA law is correct.

CW
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well that really sucks.

The grenade is a little tough to explain though...
View Quote
probly a dummy grenade but irc even a dummy grenade is a no no in california.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:09:58 AM EDT
[#8]
That's correct, dummy grenades are a no-no in CaliBan.

Remember the info on this story was given by CA-DOJ. The Robinson Arms & FALs are legal without a pistol grip. Certainly the FAB-10 is. I'm sure they seized his inventory and counted anything they could as an AW.

Will be interesting to see how this comes out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
That AG is a dickhead.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
knock knock

whose there?

Lockyer

Lockyer who?

I'm gonna Lockyer asses up you little insurgents

[:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Fucking commies, you know it's bad when Hilter is the Governor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]
After furthur thought I now recall that I have seen some AW's in his store from time to time. they were displayed in the back corner, near the office. I assumed they were the lawfully owned and registered AW's of the owner, and simply on diplay, but not for sale.  The one that stands out in my mind is a beretta BM-59(?) that was banned by name in 1989.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Once again the manipulation and obfuscation of the language of gun control trips us up.

The report clearly says ASSAULT [I]RIFLES[/I] were confiscated but the article ends mentioning the “ASSAULT [I]WEAPONS[/I]" ban.

So what was it… REALLY?.  Did they have select-fire weapons or is the DOJ trying to make some case law on the FAB-10’s and Roberson Arms stuff?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]
to bad he didn't open fire on those who came to arrest him
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]
[b]AR15fan[/b], your comment on this in the Hometown forum made me go get my tin-foil beanie.

Could this be some sort of retaliation because of Sheriff Mike Corona?

For those of you that aren’t familiar with SoCal, Sheriff Corona is a Good Guy and regularly issues CCW’s in Orange County (which is about as urban as you can get).

Wasn’t there some sort of DOJ gang/weapon type sting operation awhile back as well.  I remember some sort of swipe they took about the crime rates in OC, when in realty the rates are the lowest in the state for an urban county.  Hmmm.. CCW==less crime?  Nah, couldn’t be.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#16]
From Orange County Register:

By JOHN McDONALD
The Orange County Register

A raid on a Laguna Niguel shooting range and gun shop has yielded the largest haul of illegal assault weapons ever seized in California, officials reported Tuesday.

Ilya Yampolsky, 38, of Laguna Niguel was arrested on 58 felony violations of state firearms laws. He is the son of Valentina Yampolsky, owner of On Target Shooting Range, 27692 Camino Capistrano.

The son is accused of illegally offering to sell the assault weapons at the shop and on the Internet.

The seizure was the largest since the state banned assault weapons in 1989.

The case started with an anonymous tip that led state investigators to inspect On Target on Nov. 19. They found two assault rifles, with price tags attached, offered for sale inside a display case, officials said.

The subsequent search and investigation led to the seizure of 79 assault rifles, three assault pistols, seven assault shotguns, one rifle packaged with two grenade launchers and 19 illegal tracer rounds, said Tom Dresslar, a spokesman for the California Attorney General's Office.

Tracer rounds are used for aiming automatic fire at night and are illegal in California.

Also found was a grenade with a fuse and pin. The Orange County Sheriff's Department bomb squad determined that the grenade was inert.

Ilya Yampolsky is accused of 33 counts of possessing unregistered assault weapons, 21 counts of possessing destructive devices and four counts of offering assault weapons for sale. He was released on bail and could not be reached for comment.

A woman who identified herself as Valentina Yampolsky hung up on a reporter Tuesday.

"The illegal sale of firearms is the No. 1 reason criminals are able to become armed and dangerous," California Attorney General Bill Lockyer said at a Los Angeles news conference held to announce the seizure. "Anyone who witnessed the North Hollywood shootout in 1997 knows that when placed in the wrong hands, these military-style assault weapons represent a tremendous threat to officers and public safety in California."

Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said after the news conference that many of the weapons seized are supposed to be only in the hands of military and law enforcement personnel.

"Dangerous weapons mixed with equally dangerous people create and explosive time bomb," Rackauckas said.

The district attorney said that he has a deputy authorized to prosecute gun cases in either state or federal court and that the latest case will go where the offenses carry the toughest sentence.

Investigators found evidence that 59 assault weapons registered to Yampolsky have not been accounted for and may have been sold, Dresslar said. There is no information on who may have purchased the weapons.

Anybody with information on the whereabouts of the weapons is asked to call the attorney general's firearms hot line at (916) 263-4887.

Some of the weapons seized had been registered to Yampolsky, but 33 were unregistered. The registered weapons can be legally possessed in California but cannot be sold within the state or on the Internet.

Yampolsky is not licensed to sell guns, officials said. His mother has a license to sell firearms but not assault weapons.

A few customers were at the shooting range Tuesday afternoon, and a team of Boy Scouts was booked to shoot later.

The shop had hundreds of guns for sale, including rifles, pistols and shotguns, but nothing that appeared to be an assault rifle.

Employees declined to comment.

One customer, Jake Beagle, 28, of Dana Point, said he shoots at the range three times a week to improve his hunting aim.

"Even if anything suspicious was going on here, I'd still come as long as they let me shoot," said Beagle, explaining that On Target is the closest range in the area.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:32:39 AM EDT
[#17]
"Anyone who witnessed the North Hollywood shootout in 1997 knows that when placed in the wrong hands, these military-style assault weapons represent a tremendous threat to officers and public safety in California."
View Quote

[B]BILL LOCKYER IS A PRICK.  A SCUM SUCKING ASSHOLE.[/B]

Once again more steaming piles of bullshit spred before the public to make "Assault Weapons" == MACHINE GUNS.

FUCKING ASSWIPE!!!!!!!!!!! [FURIOUS]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The subsequent search and investigation led to the seizure of 79 assault rifles, three assault pistols, seven assault shotguns, one rifle packaged with two grenade launchers and 19 illegal tracer rounds, said Tom Dresslar, a spokesman for the California Attorney General's Office
View Quote

woo hoo, i need some of those assault shotguns and assault pistols
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The case started with an anonymous tip
View Quote

I'll bet you anything the tipster was either the owener or employee of a rival gun store.  On target has fair prices, good selection, and a nice range. Hard for over priced pricks like Gold Coast to compete...
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Or a disgruntled employee. Last time I was there, the clerks were having a cat fight.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#21]
My God, 19 tracers, and an inert grenade........

The carnage could have been............

I've got more tracers than that, and an inert greande at work. I don't have the little thing that says complaint dept., take a number, and the #1 tag to put on the pin, for the greande however.

I thought AW's were legal to sell from CA to other parts of the country, as long as they went through FFL's, were legally owned in CA etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My God, 19 tracers, and an inert grenade........

The carnage could have been............

I've got more tracers than that, and an inert greande at work. I don't have the little thing that says complaint dept., take a number, and the #1 tag to put on the pin, for the greande however.

I thought AW's were legal to sell from CA to other parts of the country, as long as they went through FFL's, were legally owned in CA etc.
View Quote

The FFL has to be specifically licensed to handle AW's. From the article, it said On Target was not.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The FFL has to be specifically licensed to handle AW's. From the article, it said On Target was not.
View Quote

The article says that in-CA transfers, to "special" people, that the dealer must have a special license. I thought AW's were still "exportable" to the other 49 states, like any other firearm. ???
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
From Orange County Register:

They found two assault rifles, with price tags attached, offered for sale inside a display case, officials said.
View Quote

Sounds to me like they decided the FAL W/O pistol grip was illegal. I am guessing this bust was in the grey area.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know what the DD's were? BTW, love the akethan statement about commies and Hitler.[noclue]

CW
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The subsequent search and investigation led to the seizure of 79 assault rifles, three assault pistols, seven assault shotguns, one rifle packaged with two grenade launchers and 19 illegal tracer rounds, said Tom Dresslar, a spokesman for the California Attorney General's Office
View Quote

woo hoo, i need some of those assault shotguns and assault pistols
View Quote

[url]http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh10-e.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=011[/url]

Oh and by the way, this is why:

[url]http://feinstein.senate.gov/booklets/assault.pdf[/url]
[url]http://www.jhsph.edu/gunpolicy/assaultweapons_fs_rev2.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#27]
the story I saw said that he had price tags on stuff illegal to sell here.  Gonna be interesting to see what happens when they start trying to inventory his personally registered stuff if he can't account for it.

Sounds like another case of us being our own worst enemies.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
The DD's are probably YUGO M59/66 SKS's w/ the grenade launching devices still attached! Who knows he could be removing them himself before sale. Don't believe the hype!

Gentlemen this is going to cause some paranioa among FFL's here in So Cal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#29]
my guess is that the DDs were the ALLEGED grenade launcher, the dummy grenade, and the tracers.

i doubt the dealer could even get the yugo sks's with the launcher deal still attached, im sure a importer wouldnt even ship it to kali without the gun being in full compliance with the law. the dealer couldnt even get the gun without a DOJ Approved AW Permit.

sounds to me like a lot of the guns were legal, no one could be THAT STOOPIT to have illegal AWs offered for sale to the general public.

the keyword here is HARRASSMENT

NOTICE THERES A BIG GUN SHOW THIS WEEKEND -- GOOD TIMING EH????
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After furthur thought I now recall that I have seen some AW's in his store from time to time. they were displayed in the back corner, near the office....
View Quote

Yeah, He kept his personal weapons at his work, he did the same at the gunstore he used to own...

Im sure glad I did not take a job at on target, i have a buddy who did(as a weekend hobby job), I will have to contact him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#31]
You better believe the AG will have his agents at the funshow!
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#32]
So is there an update?

CRC
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#33]
No updates back to regular CA life. Soon we'll be restricted to pump rifles and shotguns.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#34]
You read here regularly and think somebody couldn't be that stupid?  All it takes is one illegal weapon to pollute the lot.  Any dealer that commingles personal weapons and "business" weapons is treading a thin line toward making a grievous mistake.  Especially here in CA, especially with the laws we have here. (BTW, although inane, the sections dealing with hand grenades, "dummy" grenades, inert grenades is pretty clear on what is legal and what isn't.)  

Apply Occam's Razor.  What seems more likely, that several AG agents all made a series of mistakes or a dealer that (according to the papers at least) does things that are not necessarily consistent with common sense.  

Remember it doesn't say they are all illegal assault weapons, just assault weapons, which are defined by CA law in a way many of you might not disagree but that's the way things are here.  Just like Manslaughter, Burglary and various other things have different definitions in the laws of different states.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn that sucks, I've been there several times, only place around here.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#36]
We really need to find out if these were FAL's with the pistol grip removed or Robarms...for our own good.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You better believe the AG will have his agents at the funshow!
View Quote

[b]THE DOJ IS AT [I]EVERY[/I] KALI GUN SHOW[/b]

last i heard there are at least 12 DOJ agents that do the SoCal shows.

wut a job, get paid to go to gun shows, the only bad part is the entrapment of gun owners over a 22lr rifle for a kid, and NOT BUSTING GANGBANGERS who actually murder people.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#38]
That is my exact sentiment. The DOJ is just as happy busting our balls than a cold blooded gangbanger who carries concealed repeatedly with no regard for the law.

It really gives me motivation to move to Chino Hills after finding out about good chances of getting a CCW there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top