Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That intern should press charges against Acosta for assault and battery. She was just doing her job.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aren’t we saying that the reporters don’t have the right to be in there, and that revoking Acosta’s pass is not violating his rights. In that case he’s not violating any rights by hogging up the time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not what he did it's how he does it. He flagrantly denies others their right to access the president. He takes over and won't relent to others wanting to exercise their rights.
Aren’t we saying that the reporters don’t have the right to be in there, and that revoking Acosta’s pass is not violating his rights. In that case he’s not violating any rights by hogging up the time
No I didn't say that. I'm saying if he commandeers a press conference as a White House guest he should be thrown out for being an asshole.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It isn't a 5th amendment thing, either. Acosta has no right to be there. None of his rights were harmed in any way.

Now, if Trump forced him to take a ride on Marine 1, you might have a point.

Hmmm, how many people could they fit on Marine 1?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even an issue with the 1st but rather the 5th
It isn't a 5th amendment thing, either. Acosta has no right to be there. None of his rights were harmed in any way.

Now, if Trump forced him to take a ride on Marine 1, you might have a point.

Hmmm, how many people could they fit on Marine 1?
You keep saying that because you want to believe it.  Judge Kelly ruled that the government violated Acosta’s Fifth Amendment right to due process when it rescinded his White House press credentials. The ruling signals that Acosta is likely to prevail on the merits of his Fifth Amendment case, as the White House did not properly give notice, explanation, and an opportunity for rebuttal, as the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals had said was necessary in a similar case decided more than 40 years ago. Kelly explicitly did not rule on Acosta’s claim that his First Amendment rights had been violated.

The legal decision as handed down is the issue here and does deal with the 5th.  So sorry DonS you are incorrect and as such you can either live with it or hold your breath, stomp your feet, scream out "not My Judge" and throw a tantrum on the floor.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

they should make a special microphone for Acosta, made out of a giant sparkly silver dildo.

Trump: "Jim, I can't hear you, you gotta hold it closer to your mouth..."
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a direct assualt on the 1st ammendment. I mean if obama did this, EVERYONE here would be screaming impeachment.
How so? The 1st Amendment does not specify that every single reporter from a press entity is guaranteed access to a press conference. In this case, "the Press" is CNN. As long as CNN is not excluded, there is no violation of the 1A, despite what any individual judge may rule.
Fine, even if true, except he said a direct assault on the 1st.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How soon we all forget, Obummer didn't do many press conferences, instead talk shows and MSM that adored him. Never on fox, maybe once.

They played the same avoid or remove game, just more dastardly in their methods.
View Quote
That's avoidance.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Was this judge in Hawaii?

What a BS ruling.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
What killed off the government's position was indicated by the judge:

“Whatever process occurred within the government is still so shrouded in mystery that the government could not tell me at oral argument who made the initial decision to revoke Mr. Acosta’s press pass,”
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nonsense. Every reporter there should be able to stand up and yell at the top of their lungs for the duration of the press conference without any recourse. Anything less and we have a 1st amendment violation.
View Quote
Trump's house; Trump's rules.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you read the case law it talks about what clear things there are not acceptable like threats to life and such which can be immediate removal/rejection of press pass. There isn't a list of approved things you can and cannot say. It is left pretty open to where the person or group who wants to make the point to remove press access of the other has to make a case and not just because he asked a hard question or got aggressive in his questioning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1977 case actually helps set up a standard for the time that was reasonable. Up until then there was no release of info by the SS as to why people were denied their 1a rights. How you don't see that as a problem is mind boggling. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that you either didn't read the relevant parts of the case or don't understand the implications of it.

Let me put it this way. If Hillary had won and she revoked all the press passes of all Conservative news organizations, as you are suggesting Trump should do to Acosta, would you be upset with that and complaining?

The case law might not be the best, not may things are nowadays, but up until this point it hasn't been an issue. Trump now has the opportunity to appeal case law and take the to the SCOTUS to have it changed. Why is that a bad thing? Why should he not have to follow case law?
Did he revoke Acosta's pass, or CNNs pass? If CNN can still send another reporter who is not Acosta to the press conferences, where are the damages?

This is the stupidest fucking thing I think that's happened to Trump so far.
From the 1977 case law:

With respect to its requirement of notice and opportunity to rebut, the Court relied on its determination that denial of a White House press pass constitutes a deprivation of "liberty" without due process of law within the meaning of the fifth amendment because it interferes with the free exercise of the profession of journalism.
That is one of the reasons why Acosta could file and challenge.
Where does it state he has a right to disrupt  and harrass, or refuse to return government owned property?
If you read the case law it talks about what clear things there are not acceptable like threats to life and such which can be immediate removal/rejection of press pass. There isn't a list of approved things you can and cannot say. It is left pretty open to where the person or group who wants to make the point to remove press access of the other has to make a case and not just because he asked a hard question or got aggressive in his questioning.
He was granted a question. He wanted more. And was willing to resist a state employee instructed to retrieve the government property after his question was answered. He was free ranging. I guess if he pulled his dick out that would have been ok too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd brief the press on what the expectation of behavior is.  You don't immediately give up the mic when the intern reaches for it, you're out.  You yell questions, without the mic in your hand, you're out. Don't sit down and shut up when asked, you're out. Etc.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]
So is the guy at Disney with the Trump sign on a ride allowed back in Disney and entitled to "due process"??????

1st Amendment you know................
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So is the guy at Disney with the Trump sign on a ride allowed back in Disney and entitled to "due process"??????

1st Amendment you know................
View Quote
None of that pertains to a private business...............their park, their rules

And has nothing to do with this issue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#20]
It would seem easy enough for the White House to publish a set of rules with penalties, then give Costa his hearing...within 60 days.  The results of the hearing would be published within 60 days of the hearing.  If he wants to appeal, the appeal would be set within 60 days. In the unlikely event that he is successful in having his pass restored, guess how long it will take to get his pass back to him...yep, 60 days.  They could follow the court's direction and still keep him on ice for quite a while.

It would be akin to having all the expense and problems of having your car towed for a DUII charge for which you are found innocent..still costs time and money.  One way or another, Costa would be taught that he is not the one in charge, and if he wants to play, he has to follow the rules.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Wonder if Abelio Acosta thinks the judge ordered the Pres to let him sit up front and let him ask questions?

Judging my his douchebag smirk, I don’t think he’s thought that far ahead.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Acosta is a he beosch. He's not a voice of the people. He's a rude self-promoting douchebag.
View Quote
This! FJA
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Tell the judge to come and enforce it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It would seem easy enough for the White House to publish a set of rules with penalties, then give Costa his hearing...within 60 days.  The results of the hearing would be published within 60 days of the hearing.  If he wants to appeal, the appeal would be set within 60 days. In the unlikely event that he is successful in having his pass restored, guess how long it will take to get his pass back to him...yep, 60 days.  They could follow the court's direction and still keep him on ice for quite a while.

It would be akin to having all the expense and problems of having your car towed for a DUII charge for which you are found innocent..still costs time and money.  One way or another, Costa would be taught that he is not the one in charge, and if he wants to play, he has to follow the rules.
View Quote
Publish the set of rules after the fact?

It would be akin to you being arrested and charged with a crime.  What crime?  Hold on, we need to write the law that we think you broke.  Then it will go to court for which you are found innocent..still costs time and money.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
let acoasta in make him sit in the corner with a donkey head on and a kick me sign taped to his back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
This was a decorum issue.  He was asked to stop speaking and surrender the mic so that other questions could be answered.  I bet a higher court, maybe even the USSC, ultimately disagrees with this ruling.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This was a decorum issue.  He was asked to stop speaking and surrender the mic so that other questions could be answered.  I bet a higher court, maybe even the USSC, ultimately disagrees with this ruling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good possibility but the White House does not want to test it, especially after Trump's remarks today.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What killed off the government's position was indicated by the judge:

“Whatever process occurred within the government is still so shrouded in mystery that the government could not tell me at oral argument who made the initial decision to revoke Mr. Acosta’s press pass,”
View Quote
The only oral that judge got was from Acosta himself.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Simple, Never call on him for a question.

Or even better make him apologize live in the press conference to the intern and Trump before answering another question from him.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But lets take gun owners rights away without due process, fuck the left, right wing death squads NOW!
View Quote
'I like to take the guns early' -Trump
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#31]
If anyone thinks GEDJT has NOT been thinking up a way to hammer these commie shit slinging agitators out of existence since 2016, you my friend are delusional.

Until asscunt made contact with that tasty intern there has been no legal justification of barring him or others.  Now the judge ruled that there needs to be a procedure in place... short leash, aggro dog kind of thing,  JUST enough lead to build up frothing snarling charge only to get stopped short.
GEDJT or Sarah the Destroyer will bait asscunt or April fool into violating said procedures and get banned for the remainder of the admin.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Do we know for a fact that Acosta/CNN tried to appeal to the WH and the WH refused to hear their appeal?
I mean, if there wasn't even an attempt to ask for an appeal, you don't really have a right to go
running to a Federal judge and crying foul and whining about "muh due process", do you?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#33]
OP how do you feel about abortion?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do we know for a fact that Acosta/CNN tried to appeal to the WH and the WH refused to hear their appeal?
I mean, if there wasn't even an attempt to ask for an appeal, you don't really have a right to go
running to a Federal judge and crying foul and whining about "muh due process", do you?
View Quote
Do you know for a fact he didn't?  Do you have a source other than your limitless nether openings?

Of course you don't.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Trump should end the press sessions and go with private interview sessions with invited members only
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd brief the press on what the expectation of behavior is.  You don't immediately give up the mic when the intern reaches for it, you're out.  You yell questions, without the mic in your hand, you're out. Don't sit down and shut up when asked, you're out. Etc.
View Quote
Questions only. No statements, opinions, or rants. If you need to state your opinion before you get to your actual question, you're out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do you know for a fact he didn't?  Do you have a source other than your limitless nether openings?

Of course you don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course you don't.
That's why I asked the question.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP how do you feel about abortion?
View Quote
Am I the father?

How hot is the baby mama?

How many bitches can I knock up and spread my seed?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Am I the father?

View Quote
Yes

Alaska 9

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Arfcom labors under the false assumption that "we have our judges" who wil just be stooges because Trump appointed them. Once you have a job for life you can do what you want
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this was a good judge?   Wasn't he supposed to be a ringer or something?
Arfcom labors under the false assumption that "we have our judges" who wil just be stooges because Trump appointed them. Once you have a job for life you can do what you want
That's how liberal judges work
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes

Alaska 9

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I the father?

Yes

Alaska 9

Not bad.....in that case, no one is getting scrapped or flushed out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Take guns press passes first, due process later.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I hope Acosta gets accosted...
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree that it is the case law. I also agree that it is the standard that we have to go by until it is changed.
View Quote
It won't change unless someone doesn't go by it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just give him his press pass back and tell him he can't ask questions. Is the judge then going to order trump to answer his questions?

If he yells have him arrested for disorderly conduct
View Quote
This. Just ignore him like previous admins ignored the right side of the news
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He already had permission to be there with the press pass. That is the difference. That would be like you inviting me in your house for a conversation and you not liking what I said. In this situation the relevant law says that there is a procedure for removing access for Acosta. I don't care if you like it or not. Just like I am sure you don't care if I like it or not. The point is that it is the law and the precedent that has to legally be followed to get Acosta out.
View Quote
If you are in my house and I don't like what you said I can order you to leave and not come back.  If you don't comply I can have you trespassed.  If you still don't comply Officer Friendly will fit you with a set of adjustable stainless steel bracelets and haul you off.

Guess what?  So can Donald Trump. The White House is his residence and he has all the privileges there that you and I enjoy in our residences.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I found the perfect advocate for Jim Acosta.  Amnesty International

Amnesty International, the global human rights organization, believes that the protests in Gaza, as violent as they are, should be treated as a public assembly and, therefore, subject to law enforcement rules rather than the rules of armed conflict.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're opinion doesn't matter. The court is where this will be settled.
View Quote
The court doesn't get to order the Executive Branch around on how it conducts its internal business any more than the Executive branch gets to order the court around on the same issues.  The court has no authority to rule in this matter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

None of that pertains to a private business...............their park, their rules

And has nothing to do with this issue.
View Quote
Trump's residence - his rules.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Publish the set of rules after the fact?

It would be akin to you being arrested and charged with a crime.  What crime?  Hold on, we need to write the law that we think you broke.  Then it will go to court for which you are found innocent..still costs time and money.
View Quote
They can make them effective starting now and going forward.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top