Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2003 12:34:25 PM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,103849,00.html

Rights Group: Attacks on Iraqi Civs Are War Crimes

Saturday, November 22, 2003

BAGHDAD — Guerrillas who attack civilians in Iraq for collaborating with the U.S.-led coalition are committing war crimes, a human rights group said Saturday.

International humanitarian law forbids targeting civilians, New York-based Human Rights Watch noted in a statement.

"Civilians working for the occupying power are not legitimate targets of attack," Human Rights Watch said.

The statement cited attacks on translators, government officials and community leaders, including Aquila al-Hashimi, a member of Iraq's U.S.-appointed Governing Council (search) who was gunned down near her Baghdad home on Sept. 20.

"All Iraqi civilians are protected by the Geneva Conventions," said Joe Stork, acting executive director of the Middle East and North Africa division. "It doesn't matter whether they sympathize with the U.S. occupation, or with the insurgents."

Human Rights Watch also cited the deaths of Sargoun Murado, who represented Assyrian Christians on the municipal council of the southern city of Basra; two prominent judges, Muhan Jabir al-Shuwaili and Ismail Yusif; and Faris Abdul-Razzaq al-Asam, Baghdad's deputy mayor.

Oh, yeah.... THIS is going to stop them!

I wonder where they were after 9/11?

Well, I suppose we should be grateful that they actually pointed their finger at the enemy for once!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
STOP!  or i will be forced to yell STOP louder!

and your right at least thier att is on them for a change.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Masters of the Obvious.  I bet they care as much as Saddam Hussein cared about Amnesty International's bleatings about his human rights record.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top