Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/14/2003 6:01:00 AM EDT
I am involved in a project that I started in my community to build a Veteran's Memeorial.  There are of course several vets on our committee, along with several teachers, like myself.  

Wed. night we had another meeting to finish our work on a grant application, and plan the ground breaking, and leveling.  When I went to sit down, when I arrived, one of the Vets, who I know from buisness dealings, says, "Nice jacket, where did you get it?"  He knows I did not serve.  I said, "Ya, I love it...a garage sale, for $5."  I told him I have collected about 5 of them, and appreciate how well they wear and work.  He then replied, "Maybe you should have earned it, like everyone else."

What bothered me was he was probably right, but I am too old now, and have a family to support. So, do I not have the "right" to wear even an M-65 jacket?  Heaven forbid I would ever consider wearing Marpat.  All the jackets, except one, do not have any identifiying patches or insignia on them.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?  Just curious.  I don't like offending anyone, especially a vet.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
if there are no insignia on it. wear it. just remove any name/unit insignia first.

Without those it is just a jacket. This guy is a bit over sensitive. ALL US military feild equipment was bought and paid for by CIVILLIAN tax dollars and belongs to the citizens of this country. INCLUDING MARPAT!

mike
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Jacket with no insignia - no problem.

That gent was just being a tool.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
another vote for sphincter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When I went to sit down, when I arrived, one of the Vets, who I know from buisness dealings, says, "Nice jacket, where did you get it?"  He knows I did not serve.  I said, "Ya, I love it...a garage sale, for $5."  I told him I have collected about 5 of them, and appreciate how well they wear and work.  He then replied, "Maybe you should have earned it, like everyone else."

Sounds like a vet who served stateside, flying a desk, while others fought and died. He is also "pulling rank" on his fellow citizens, waving his service in front of others, for his own purposes. Ask him what his service record is- I'll bet he tells you he was a Green Beret or a Seal....

He must have conniption fits walking down the street seeing all the army surplus gear on everybody.

The medal he should be wearing: Asshole, with oak leaf clusters.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Just put a patch on it that says "NOT A VET"..JUST HONORING THEM"
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#7]
you need a "Citizen" patch
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
He probably just grabbed the wrong tube that morning and put ben-gay on his toothbrush.  That would set the tone for the whole day.

Don't let it bug ya.
Scott
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like he was a recon, sf, ranger, seal, para-delta-HR-SWAT to me.

Careful, or he'll start telling you what his "kill tally" is.

Elitist fucker.

Tel him *you* paid for the jacket - *twice* - and you're going to wear it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
another vote for sphincter.

Those are words that no man should ever say to another man.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#11]
screw him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
The guy was a turd.  If you have one with no patches on it then who cares.  It is a good working jacket.  You earn many things, they "issue" a damn field jacket.  

The fact this turd had to "earn" a jacket should pretty much say it all.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
agrees
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#14]
“Maybe you should have earned it, like everyone else” – that’s hilarious.

And wow, I can’t believe someone actually mentioned “That-Military-Camouflage-Pattern-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named” in this thread! TWICE!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My dog sleeps on an old poncho liner.
But he earned it in the Nam.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:47:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Maybe you should show up the next time at work on the Veteran's Memorial wearing a Russian or ChiCom surplus jacket...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:50:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am involved in a project that I started in my community to build a Veteran's Memeorial.  There are of course several vets on our committee, along with several teachers, like myself.  

Wed. night we had another meeting to finish our work on a grant application, and plan the ground breaking, and leveling.  When I went to sit down, when I arrived, one of the Vets, who I know from buisness dealings, says, "Nice jacket, where did you get it?"  He knows I did not serve.  I said, "Ya, I love it...a garage sale, for $5."  I told him I have collected about 5 of them, and appreciate how well they wear and work.  He then replied, "Maybe you should have earned it, like everyone else."

You should have said, "Hey moron, I paid for it to begin with, (as a tax-payor)!!!

What bothered me was he was probably right, but I am too old now, and have a family to support. So, do I not have the "right" to wear even an M-65 jacket?  Heaven forbid I would ever consider wearing Marpat.  All the jackets, except one, do not have any identifiying patches or insignia on them.  Has anyone else had this happen to them?  Just curious.  I don't like offending anyone, especially a vet.  

Offend, hell.

Tell him lib said he's an IDIOT!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#18]
What people sometimes forget, is that there are plenty of veterans who are FLAMING ASSHOLES, and not people you'd want to spend 5 minutes of your life with.

The U.S. used to have a draft, remember - which meant that every Tom, Dick and Harry could end up serving, regardless of whether they beat their wife, molested children, or tortured animals.  

Obviously, that's not the case for the  vast MAJORITY of them, and of course MANY volunteered as well.  Irrespective of their personality, all deserve respect and honor for serving - but that doesn't mean that you have to LIKE or AGREE with all of them.

That particular guy sounded like a total ass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Patches or no patches, it doesnt matter. Whose to say it didnt belong to your father/brother/uncle/grandfather? Its no ones business but yours.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Is it ok to wear football jerseys from your hero on the gridiron?  Why not wear jacket's and othe US Military items and be proud of your armed forces.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:57:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

He was an asshat. It's just a piece of clothing, with or without insignia. I was in the USMC and never was issued a field jacket so I guess they owe me one.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
if there are no insignia on it. wear it. just remove any name/unit insignia first.

Without those it is just a jacket. This guy is a bit over sensitive. ALL US military feild equipment was bought and paid for by CIVILLIAN tax dollars and belongs to the citizens of this country. INCLUDING MARPAT!

mike

roger that. It's the tax payers money, you paid for that jacket twice. As a tax payer and a VET, I feel you and I should be able to wear whatever the hell we please.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Just tell him you're OGA and if you told him you'd have to kill him  :)

I mean it's a coat not a medal!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:15:20 AM EDT
[#24]
The guy's a dick. Catch him wearing a tie & ask where he got it. When he says "Penney's," say "Maybe you should have gone to law school." Makes just about as much sense.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#25]

MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS
Chapter 1:  General
Paragraph 1005:  Civilian Attire
Section 2e(3) Uniform items that have been declared obsolete may be worn with civilian clothing, when appropriate, provided such items contain no distinctive insignia or buttons.

It was, and is, appropriate, and the guy was an asshole.  You're a VOLUNTEER SERVING OUR VETERANS!
Semper Fi, buddy.  You're good to go.

And THANK YOU.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#26]
The vet apparently fought abroad for your freedom, then tries to deny it at home.  Some people.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#27]
"Your right, I should have earned this p38 on my keyring too."

I would tell him to fuck off, government sells surplus for a reason, and we buy it for a reason.  Both are well with in the law and morality.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a nice SWISS Mountain Field jacket at Kaplans surplus in SF and I didnt serve in the SWISS military, I hope I dont run into any SWISS army vets that might get offended? [:\]

I dont see anything wrong with wearing surplus M65 field coats? they make excellent work and outdoors clothing, and are well made, but I prefer to wear the plain olive green M65, I try not to wear any type of camoflage.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#29]
wear what you want, thats what freedoms all about, doing what YOU want! dont let some grumpy old vet tell you any different
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#31]
IMHO no patches = no problem.

I cannot believe the audacity of this guy to berate you when you volunteered to help build a memeorial. Just ignore him, I am sure that the other veterans there appreciated your time and effort to honor them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I am sure that the other veterans there appreciated your time and effort to honor them.

EXACTLY! Not to mention the many veterans here that appreciate it too!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I still wear my old field jacket now and then. It has the patches on it just as it did when I was in. Never had anyone even question me about it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The poncho liner is probably the greatest invention ever....

I still have mine, and use it all the time.
Stays cool in summer and warm in winter!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Having been in the service myself, my reaction is pretty much the opposite.

While I probably read too much into it, I view people who wear military type clothing (sans emblems) as at least folks who aren’t hostile toward the military, and maybe even who are supporters of the military.

I’m especially delighted to see teens and pre-teens wearing such clothing (admittedly, in part since I suspect it infuriates liberals!!).

Even wannabees don’t bother me so long as they don’t pretend to have actually served.

In fairness though, if guy is a legitimate veteran (and actually even if he isn’t), he definantly has a right to express a different opinion.  It’s really not worth getting that excited about!!

And it’s certainly not like we don’t have any “elitists” here!!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The poncho liner is probably the greatest invention ever....

I still have mine, and use it all the time.
Stays cool in summer and warm in winter!!

I just wish my poncho liner 'tour' jacket (poncho liner outer, silk inner, embroidered dragons & map of VN..) still fit.  It's only been some 33yrs or so.  Not to mention the fact that my dad had it made in country for me when he was there & I was all of 2yrs old....  I guess this assclown would have issues with me if he saw me wearing dad's jacket (same as mine but grown-up sized).
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#37]
By the Powers vested to me, according to the DD-214 that is in my possession.
I authorize you to wear any new or surplus military clothing you wish. with the exception of MARPAT, that is a no-no and will get you 50 lashes with a used MRE bag.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Guy is just a deskjockey fuckshtik. Pisseff becoause his freiends got to play and all he got was a papercut.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
but I prefer to wear the plain olive green M65, I try not to wear any type of camoflage.

The coat I wore that evening was the olive green M65.  It is my favorite.  My wife has one also. She looks damn good in it.  Hers is vintage Vietnam era.  I wear mine everywhere.  I even wear it when I wear a tie.  

I don't wear my camo ones that often, mostly when hunting.  I know it will keep me warm, and won't get ruined by blood, and mud.  I even picked up a camo one for my 9yr old at a garage sale for 10.00, almost new. It is still a little big, but he'll grow.

Another question about insignia...
I have one jacket that I have stuffed in my 4-wheeler pouch.  I removed all the insignia, except the WY national guard emblem.  It is bucking horse, our state symbol.  I thought it was pretty cool, so I left it.  Now, after reading what most of you wrote, I feel I should probably remove it too.  I don't wear the jacket that often, just when a summer storm hits and I'm out on the 4-wheeler, but still.

As for the Vet in question, he is really a pretty good guy, especially when it comes to helping out the vets in our community.  He leads the color guard team for several communities in my area. I don't know what was up with the comment, other than he was serious when he said it.  We have another meeting in two weeks; I'll probably wear it again, anyway.

I have spent 5 years working on the memorial, and am just about frustrated with the lack of progress.  It is finally starting to come together, so I can see the end of the tunnel, so to speak.  I'm hoping we get a grant we are applying for to finish construction.  The total cost on the memorial is 92,000.  We have a total of about 15,000, including the land, already donated, so we are starting with that, and hoping to raise enough to finish.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS
Chapter 1:  General
Paragraph 1005:  Civilian Attire
Section 2e(3) Uniform items that have been declared obsolete may be worn with civilian clothing, when appropriate, provided such items contain no distinctive insignia or buttons.

It was, and is, appropriate, and the guy was an asshole.  You're a VOLUNTEER SERVING OUR VETERANS!
Semper Fi, buddy.  You're good to go.

And THANK YOU.

What he said...  from a combat vet.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Guy was just being an ass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#43]
The guy sounds like an asshole. As long as it doesn't have any insignia, wear it all you want. Next time he says something about it, tell him I said to get fucked. Nobody did anything to earn a camoflauge jacket. Insignia may be another story.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Tell Mr.Ushudda Earnedit to shut his pie hole. If he had read Army Regulation AR 670-1 or his branch's equivalent while he was in the service he would know it says:

1–12. Distinctive uniforms and uniform items
a. The following uniform items are distinctive and will not be sold to or worn by unauthorized personnel:
(1) All Army headgear, when worn with insignia.
(2) Badges and tabs (identification, marksmanship, combat, and special skill).
(3) Uniform buttons (U.S. Army or Corps of Engineers).
(4) Decorations, service medals, service and training ribbons, and other awards and their appurtenances.
(5) Insignia of any design or color that the Army has adopted.
b. Individuals will remove all distinctive items before disposing of unserviceable uniform items.

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#45]
So gay...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a vet and you here by have my permission to wear the jacket.

The guy is a clown.

Jump wings, Infantry badges, SEAL crests, are a different matter...  It doesn't sound like you were posing, just helping the vetrans of this country. For that I thank you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Funny, until I looked to see where you were from, I thought you might be the guy I sold my old M65 to, at a garage sale, for $5 .

Guy must have had a wild hair up that day. Don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm a Vet and retired too...hey if it was so sacred, then why was it in a garage sale, pawn shop, Army/Navy Surplus store? Some one had to get rid if it...if it weren't for old field jackets most of the world would freeze...its clothing, man!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Patches or not, wear what ever the fuck you want.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top