Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 23 years active and counting and I agree with no military patches or insignia. The guy was off his meds that morning and had no right to rag on someone actually doing something to help him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if there are no insignia on it. wear it. just remove any name/unit insignia first.

Without those it is just a jacket. This guy is a bit over sensitive. ALL US military feild equipment was bought and paid for by CIVILLIAN tax dollars and belongs to the citizens of this country. INCLUDING MARPAT!

mike

i often share a similar point of view w/ T_B_S on varying topics of discussion.  this is no exception.  if there is no unit insignia, name or branch of service tapes, its just a jacket.  so wear the hell outa that thing. and reguarding MARPAT..i couldnt have said it better myself.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a similar confrontation a few years ago.  I was at a fast food place, making a lunch run for a bunch of friends at a paintball field I played at.  I had tiger stripe BDU pants on, and a bright orange jersey that said REFEREE and the field's name on the front and back.  I was in line with another friend, and the guy behind me starts giving me a bunch of flak for wearing BDU pants.  It wasn't worth arguing with the guy, so I just nodded my head alot.  The guy rambled on for a goood time, and I almost asked the guy if he felt better now that he got all that off his chest, but the best thing to do was keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
i think if you want to wear a jacket with the ingignia stuff on it , most people do it WITH RESPECT, not because they want it and it looks cool(even though they do look cool).. the flag was held and honored by the united state military.. that means we have earn the right by going into the service to be able to fly one.. I DONT THINK SO!!

this is america if i want to wear a coat that says down with america I CAN if i cant to wear a coat worn by the military I CAN, if i want to wear a normal coat I CAN this IS the land of the free....
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't let it bother you, as the rest of the vets said here, wear it.  

I still wear mine from time to time. If he is such a hard ass vet ask him what 35-10 states about wearing military clothing, then tell him to piss up a rope.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You "earn" a lot of things in the military. One of them is not the M65 jacket. That POS ranks right up there with the skivvies and the socks you get issued in basic.

That dude was a dork and a punk...!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Camp Pendleton 1975, there I was...  I go to supply to get a field jacket.  There were none.  Why wasn't there any?  Because the eight bizillion Vietnamese refugees we had on base were wearing them.

That guy was just trying to needle you.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The Army/USMC regs are nice and everything, but they only govern military personnel. That and the agencies that resell the articles. Civilians can pretty much do what they want with military clothing.

Next time the a-hole starts giving you a hard time about the jacket start inquiring about his military service. I bet you'll find out he was either stateside or in Germany during Vietnam.

I have a question concerning the unmentionable camo pattern. Are Navy corpsman authorized to wear the unspeakable camo pattern when they are serving in FMF?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to agree and disagree with the vets statement.  I will start with the disagreement.  A  field jacket, sans any insignia, is OK.  Even wearing the full camo to go hunting (sans insignia) is OK.  But what drives me totally up the wall is when I see some punk wearing camo pants with holes cut in them and a bandanna tied around his leg.  Wear it, but do not disrespect the uniform.  Too many americans have fought and died in that uniform for it to be disrespected.  This situation was fine for wearing the jacket.  Just remember that there are a lot of veterans that are proud of their service and the uniform represented therein.  Many of us see the uniform disrespected and in that see those that gave their all disrespected.  I take pride in my uniform.  I haven't worn my class A since I got out 10 years ago, but all my brass is still polished, all medals are straight and clean and everything is pressed.  Just consider the feelings of others when you wear it and don't wear it nasty.  

BTW, I do appreciate when some one actually shows an interest in anything military and it is an honest interest.  Some may not have served but still care.  I have given one of my nephews a full set of BDU (no insignia) a full set of LBE, a Kevlar and an M17A1 protective mask.  He is 31 years old and did not serve.  But, he respects those that have and do.  (not to mention that he is a pretty good shot with the AR and hand guns.)
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I always wondered what happend to all those dope smoking heroin sniffing opium saturated assholes I was with in RVN. Sounds like you found one of them. Didn't happen to mention his name, did he? He was probably one of those Granada two tour guys - three days.

rk
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
i have a cammo M65 field jacket, has the name, and us army, and the rank of master sgt, i was not in the nilitary, but my grandfather was, it is his name, same as mine, and he was in the army, and it was his rank, when someone asks me if i was in the service, i say nope, but my grandfather was(as was a lot of my family), and this is to honor him, if someone does not like it they can take a hike
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I have a question concerning the unmentionable camo pattern. Are Navy corpsman authorized to wear the unspeakable camo pattern when they are serving in FMF?

Yes, when serving in FMF units.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but I prefer to wear the plain olive green M65, I try not to wear any type of camoflage.

The coat I wore that evening was the olive green M65.  It is my favorite.  My wife has one also. She looks damn good in it.  Hers is vintage Vietnam era.  I wear mine everywhere.  I even wear it when I wear a tie.  

I don't wear my camo ones that often, mostly when hunting.  I know it will keep me warm, and won't get ruined by blood, and mud.  I even picked up a camo one for my 9yr old at a garage sale for 10.00, almost new. It is still a little big, but he'll grow.

Another question about insignia...
I have one jacket that I have stuffed in my 4-wheeler pouch.  I removed all the insignia, except the WY national guard emblem.  It is bucking horse, our state symbol.  I thought it was pretty cool, so I left it.  Now, after reading what most of you wrote, I feel I should probably remove it too.  I don't wear the jacket that often, just when a summer storm hits and I'm out on the 4-wheeler, but still.

As for the Vet in question, he is really a pretty good guy, especially when it comes to helping out the vets in our community.  He leads the color guard team for several communities in my area. I don't know what was up with the comment, other than he was serious when he said it.  We have another meeting in two weeks; I'll probably wear it again, anyway.

I have spent 5 years working on the memorial, and am just about frustrated with the lack of progress.  It is finally starting to come together, so I can see the end of the tunnel, so to speak.  I'm hoping we get a grant we are applying for to finish construction.  The total cost on the memorial is 92,000.  We have a total of about 15,000, including the land, already donated, so we are starting with that, and hoping to raise enough to finish.

Leave the NG patch on and wear it. Fk this guy and any other REMF that has a problem with it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#14]
First off its funny that this is about a field jacket, something that no one uses.  

Ive had the same type of run ins with vets especially over Tiger Strip camo.  Funny thing is that TS is still being used in parts of the world.  I was doing an Civ Clothing Emb job once and had to go out to the woods, got a set of TS fatigues from the unit I was Advising.  I occasionaly throw on part of this uniform and just love the comments I get "WTF is a Para-kay dista" or "E-Jerry toe EE UU, WTH is that? We didnt have no patches like that in the NAM
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if that "Vet" feels the same way towards guns? Does he flip out when he sees a guy with a black rifle? An AK-47 variant? A 1911? An M1? Apparently, his theory (belief) is that unless you "earned it" you can't have it or use it.

Imagine had he said what he said to you, to a wealthy civilian who was there wearing a field jacket and was going to anonimously donate $$$$$$ to the cause.  He very well could have lost a valuable contributor to the cause.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Tell him that since your part of the well regulated militia, that you are authorized under the provisions protected under the second amendment.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Maybe you should show up the next time at work on the Veteran's Memorial wearing a Russian or ChiCom surplus jacket...

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The guy's a dick. Catch him wearing a tie & ask where he got it. When he says "Penney's," say "Maybe you should have gone to law school." Makes just about as much sense.

Good one. Heh.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#19]
 Print this entire thread and show it to him.

P.S.  Tell him he's a weiner.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Just go ahead and wear it. there is no disrespect in doing so.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Wear whatever you want.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#22]
That guy that said he was a vet forgot to mention that he was also an ass****.I got my m-65 from the A&N store. I didn't earn my M-1 either,but I still shoot it.(got it from the DCM for being a high power competior)
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm a white collar worker.  By this guys reasoning I'm violating the rules by wearing my Carhart coat.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
As a Veteran, It's a piece of clothing no more no less.  

The guy most likely served in the NG in the 60's to avoid the real Army and is taking out his frustration on you.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been in the Army for three years now and have been issued three of the damn things and am now waiting on my supposed-to-have-been-issued gore tex.  The M65 is obsolete, they hand them out to every private coming in for use during training and when you get to your unit you're supposed to be wearing the new gore-tex.  Don't worry about it.  I took the patches off two of mine and wear them whenever the weather warrants.  This vet was being a dick.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:54:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
but I prefer to wear the plain olive green M65, I try not to wear any type of camoflage.

The coat I wore that evening was the olive green M65.  It is my favorite.  My wife has one also. She looks damn good in it.  Hers is vintage Vietnam era.  I wear mine everywhere.  I even wear it when I wear a tie.  

I don't wear my camo ones that often, mostly when hunting.  I know it will keep me warm, and won't get ruined by blood, and mud.  I even picked up a camo one for my 9yr old at a garage sale for 10.00, almost new. It is still a little big, but he'll grow.

Another question about insignia...
I have one jacket that I have stuffed in my 4-wheeler pouch.  I removed all the insignia, except the WY national guard emblem.  It is bucking horse, our state symbol.  I thought it was pretty cool, so I left it.  Now, after reading what most of you wrote, I feel I should probably remove it too.  I don't wear the jacket that often, just when a summer storm hits and I'm out on the 4-wheeler, but still.

As for the Vet in question, he is really a pretty good guy, especially when it comes to helping out the vets in our community.  He leads the color guard team for several communities in my area. I don't know what was up with the comment, other than he was serious when he said it.  We have another meeting in two weeks; I'll probably wear it again, anyway.

I have spent 5 years working on the memorial, and am just about frustrated with the lack of progress.  It is finally starting to come together, so I can see the end of the tunnel, so to speak.  I'm hoping we get a grant we are applying for to finish construction.  The total cost on the memorial is 92,000.  We have a total of about 15,000, including the land, already donated, so we are starting with that, and hoping to raise enough to finish.

Guns, I wanna thank you for your time, and work on our behalf...

Print this thread out, and give it to the vet in question at you next meeting.

There are numerous combat vets posting they have no problem with it...

Thanks again, for your service, to us...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got a WW2 navy pea coat that I wear for "formal" occasions. It's in great shape, looks very fashionable, and cost little.  I tell people it's the DOD Fall, 1944 collection.  For colder weather, I go with a 1930's Belgian greatcoat. Looks great too, and it's the rare eye that will spot either as surplus.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn, I guess Osama Bin Laden didn't get the word about not wearing M65's either...
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Tell him that since your part of the well regulated militia, that you are authorized under the provisions protected under the second amendment.

That is what I was thinking!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Guns, Tell him to piss up a rope! You can have one of mine. Another thing, If the patch thing bugs you...Dont let it, You are doing a fine job!, and I would be willing to send you one of my patches for your jacket as a "Thank You" for the work you are doing for vets.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't serve, they downsized when I went to enlist...But I thank and respect those that serve, like my Dad, my uncles, my son, I support vets and love the t shirts....if it is a suppoirt hte vet t shirt I get it. I was just lookign at a Thanks to the Vets T shirt, just going to send for it
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
I served.  I earned mine, and those that were there with me earned theirs.  Several years ago I was at a gun show and ran into a guy that was wearing a jungle fatigue jacket.  It had my old unit patch on it, and the name on the jacket was Osburne.  I asked the gentleman where he got the jacket and he told me it was his dads and he got it when he and his brother divided up their dad's stuff after he had passed away.  I asked if his dad's name was Nathan Osburne.  The gentleman replied yes, that's my dad's name, I'm Nathan Jr.

I served with Nathan Osburne Sr. in 1967-68 in Viet Nam.  We were in the same Company.  We even went on R&R at the same time in the Philippines.  After talking to Nathan Jr., I found out that his dad had died in 1997 in a plane crash.  

Don't let some idiot with a stick up his butt tell you what to do.  If you want to wear the field jacket wear it.  If the patches are still on it go ahead and wear it, just wear it with pride and honor.  That day brought back a flood of memories, some good some bad.  I was fortunate enough to find out what happened to a buddy of mine that I had lost contact with years ago.  Oh yea, Nathan Jr. looks just like his old man.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#33]
It's just a jacket. As long as you don't claim any phony bullshit, no harm, no foul. My personal opinion is that it might be appropriate to remove any insignia, patches, etc,  that are not germain to you. That being said, do what suits you.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#34]
...thanks for the story, out4trout...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm a white collar worker.  By this guys reasoning I'm violating the rules by wearing my Carhart coat.

Carhartt is the heat! I'm wearing a brown Carhartt hat right now. As far as wearing the jacket, I'm a civie and I wear BDU's all the time. Not too long ago I went into Brigade QuarterMasters to get a pair of knee pads. I had my WC BDU pants on, a black button up shirt, Salomon hiking boots, my Carhartt hat and a pair of sun-glasses, nothing special. About how I dress every day for that matter. I usualy keep a beard, and this day was no exception. As I approached the counter, a man there walked up to me and introduced himself. I believe he was either one of the owners or top management, but I was not quite clear. He asked me if there was anything, ANYTHING, that he could help me find. I'm not used to that kind of customer service so I was taken aback. I thanked him and said I have about all I need, but thanks. He then asked if I "was going on a trip?" and was I sure that I had everything I'd need? I was obviously confused and so replied, "trip?" He then said, "yeah, you know, overseas hunting with some of our brothers?" It hit me then. He thought I was Special Forces, with the beard and all. It never occured to me. I then of course told him that though I was very flattered, I was indeed not SF, and that I was just a very big supporter of our Armed Forces. What was cool is, now knowing I'm just a civilian, he continued to be as polite and helpful as before. It was nice to feel that my appreciation was reciprocated with appreciation that there are still civies out there that remember that our freedom comes with a price tag. Having said all that, I continue to wear different pieces of military clothing (patches and all not included) with pride because I am a grateful citizen of the United States.

Although, I have often wondered if it would be disrespectful to wear an American Flag patch as that to me is just showing your colors that much more. Hell, I have an American Flag on my truck. Any way, don't let it get to you. You are obviously not one of the mindless masses that takes what you have for granted.

Agnew out.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Speaking of the Wyoming National Guard, anybody here know what a Wyoming Wolverine or a Wyoming Bullfrog is?

Secret weapon of the Wyoming Field Artillery, unforgettably  devestating when employed!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top