Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2018 7:05:28 AM EDT

Browning BAR and a M1918 BAR

The Browning Automatic Rifle, otherwise known as the BAR is a differently altogether distinct firearm from the more widely known M1918 BAR of WWI, WWII, and Korean War fame. This BAR was born as a product of the 1960s and FN's Commercial Project "Carbine 66". Design, testing, and fine tuning was done in 1966 and finished in 1967. A major designer in this rifle's development is Bruce W. Browning, the gun messiah's grandson. Yup. John M. Browning's offspring had a hand to play in this rifle's design.

Four Generations of Gun Designers

The BAR is a semi-automatic, short stroke gas piston driven, full bore cartridge hunting rifle with a rotating multi-lug bolt system that uses detectable box magazines and is chambered in a myriad of cartridges ranging from the .243 Winchester to the .300 Win Mag and larger.

BAR Bolt

The BAR has gone through a number of developments and production changes. The first model introduced in 1968 had a distinctive scalloped receiver, a complex but reliable trigger group assembly that required the buttstock to be taken off from the receiver to remove the trigger group. The magazine was attached to a hinged floor plate.

Original 1968 catalog featuring the BAR.

This first production run, now called the MkI was at first was completely built and assembled in Belgium. But in the early 1970s, FN opened the Browning plant in Viana, Portugal. Where to this day, BARs are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal. This was also the same plant that Hi-Powers were also assembled too before they ceased production.

In 1976, production was slightly simplified and the MkII was born. Produced from 1976 to 1992. Some of the changes were in the rear stock tang and the addition of a bolt catch/release lever.

Additionally, the trigger assembly group was simplified and now held in place with cross pins. But the classic quality was still there as was the scalloped receiver that mimicked the Browning Auto-5 Shotgun. This is the second most prolific sub-type out there. The hinged magazine is still in place but the magazine body itself can be removed.

The current production, known as the MkIII started in 1993 and is made to this day.

The MkIII is a somewhat radical departure from the classic BAR. Gone is the classic scalloped receiver, the gas system was redesigned for increased reliability, Long and Short actions were made instead of using one universal Long action receiver and variations started to come out of the woodwork.

There is the Stalker, the LongTrac, the BOSS, and so much more. This included oddballs like the Browning Pump Rifle and the Acera, a straight-pull version of the BAR.

Browning BPR

Browning Acera

These were developed in the 1990s as a result of the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban and the various laws passed in Europe. The fear was that FN believed semi-autos would be outright banned in the US and also planned to market these in Europe in countries where the ownership of semi-autos were verboten. The Acera and BPR are one the rarest of BAR variations that are highly sought-after by collectors.

The BAR was also sold under FN's other name brand like Winchester as the Winchester SXR (released in 2006) and even the under their own labeling. The Winchester Super X RIfle was a slight change from the traditional BAR MkIII.

It had a fully removable box magazine.

Now, before I straight into the BAR being sold under the FN labeling, let's get into its more interesting history and what led to its development.

In the 1970s, FN had a special project for a law enforcement version of the BAR. It was to be produced in .308 Winchester and use unmodified FN FAL magazines. The project never really went forward and it was never produced. The idea was shelved and put away to gather dust.

Then in 1988, a FN engineer by the name of Joseph Rousseau while on a trip to Browning's Utah offices, fell in love with the area and actually moved his family to Utah and became the Vice President of Research and Development at Browning side of the company. Mr. Rousseau was the man behind the MkII BAR and actually dusted off the idea of a truly detachable box magazine for the rifle. But again, the higher ups at FN in Herstal said no. It wasn't until 2006 with the Winchester SXR, that Mr. Rousseau's design for the MkII magazine came about.

In the early 2000s, FN saw the market shift in police tactics in regards to sniping. FN had a fantastic bolt action platform in the Winchester Model 70, but SWAT teams across the country wanted a semi-auto and FN's American branch in Columbia, South Carolina cleared dust from the long ago police project to compete with the growing popularity of the Springfield Armory M1A and the Knight's Armament SR-25. The Fabrique Nationale Automatic Rifle was born and released in 2008.

Developed at the same time as the SCAR-17. The trickiest part was developing a reliable magazine, so the design team looked at what their cousin in Belgium were doing.

FNAR Magazines

FN SCAR-17 magazines

Both rifles share a similar magazine design with roots from the fabled right arm of the free world, the FN FAL. With that squared away. The designers then looked at making the FNAR more usable for the police market. Gone is the fancy blued finish and instead it came with a matte parkerized finished. The barrel was beefed up to a twenty inch heavy profile, that was fluted for better heat dissipation and the target match crown was recessed to keep accuracy above par when thrown around in the back of a patrol car.

Also the stock was made of polymer instead of high grade wood and accessory rails were added too. Lastly, a nice full receiver length MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail was placed on top of the receiver to give the user more options in scopes than what was traditionally done with the BAR.

Now, FN seeing market potential. Also released this updated rifle under the Winchester brand as the Winchester SX-AR and eventually also released the Browning as the BAR MkIII Detachable Box Magazine.

The SX-AR was for the most part a relabeled FNAR except it didn't have the side accessory rails and the full receiver length picatinny rail was made into a more traditional two piece mounting point for optics. Also the barrel was non fluted and the only finish it came in was camouflage.

Sales were lagging in the law enforcement market since it was under-bid by the proliferation of AR-10s. FN teamed up with McMillan Stocks to develop the FNAR Match. According to McMillian, they had made ten prototype stocks for ten FNARs with modified receivers to mate with the stocks. The normal FNAR rear stock attachment was modified to fit the McMillian stock. The bolt release was also modified.

The project was done to create both a California legal gun and attempt to get additional accuracy. Apparently, the ten guns were tested and shot between 0.75 and 1 MOA and this was already the standard with the FNAR. FN did not consider this a worthwhile endeavor since there was no increase in accuracy and the FNAR had to be modified to fit in the McMillian stocks. The project was ultimately scrapped.

Now, while the FNAR didn't succeed very well in becoming an established police sniper rifle. It did see some interesting duty. Specifically anti-piracy duties. Yup, Carl 'Rock' Manson, a former British Royal Marine became involved in maritime security in 1991 and since then has defended ships against Somali Pirates.

Carl Manson with a FNAR.

The traditional BAR MkIII kept right on chugging. But fans of the rifle still wanted the main updated feature, the reliable and rugged detachable box magazine. So FN listened and answered their call in 2016.

First, FN spun the FNAR into being a high end production gun and this time they have it with a adjustable wood stock and even a small picatinny rail on the barrel so the user can mount iron sights.

Now sold as the FNAR Competition; it is marketed as a three gun match rifle along the same lines as the SLP Competition Shotgun.

Then, 2017, FN pulled the standard FNAR and SX-AR from the market due to poor sales. The FNAR wasn't the 'must have' law enforcement market gun and the Winchester model just wasn't popular due to some states banning pistol gripped semi-autos due to some legislation like the NY SAFE Act, and the various assaults on the 2nd Amendment passed in California.

But, FN wasn't done just yet. In 2017, they also released the updated gun under the Browning label. The BAR MkII DBM went a step further in simplification. Gone is the fancy wood stock, small front sight rail, and full length receiver rail. This model is a basic Stalker model with the ability to use detachable box mags.

The BAR has come full circle now. Going from classic hunting rifle, to becoming a police marksman's rifle, to being a competition rifle, to being back again as a modern take on the classic hunting rifle that is fifty state legal. The magazines are the same. Of if your have a Winchester SX-AR, a FNAR, or a BAR MkIII DBM, you can buy the 5rd, 10rd, or 20rd mag. All are chambered in .308 Winchester and all use the same stocks.

The BAR in all of its forms has been a market juggernaut outlasting of its competitors. The semi-autos from Remington, Winchester (prior to the FN buyout), HK, and others have all bit the dust. But the BAR continues.

I personally believe that if FN introduced the FNAR back in the 1970s or 1980s. It would have sold very well in police circles. But due to such a delay, the AR-10, specifically the variation designed by Knight's Armament became the de facto police semi-auto sniper rifle.

So with this, I leave you with exciting news. I recently purchased a NIB 2010 production FNAR and will be doing a competition of who made the better hunting rifle. Those wacky Belgians in FN or those straight faced Germans in HK. Yup, stay tuned. Because the FNAR and HK SLB 2000 will be compared in a head to head match up.

Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Good read. I’ve owned several BARs, and still have two. The 7mm Magnum is very accurate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good read. I’ve owned several BARs, and still have two. The 7mm Magnum is very accurate.
View Quote
Had an older series 7mm Mag.

Methinks it's time to get another.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#3]
When they finally decided to go with detachable mags, what was the reason for developing a new mag instead of going with the FAL mag like originally intended by the guy who came up with the idea?

I kinda wonder that about the SCAR, too, really, especially since that magazine is close enough to a FAL magazine that FAL magazines can actually be modified to be SCAR-compatible (the feed lips need a bit of relieving at the front, the beak needs to be removed, and the window cut for the mag catch).  Would be nice to be able to use a single mag across all of these platforms.  The Bushmaster BAR-10 and RRA LAR-8 prove that the magazine can be adapted for use with the favoured push-button, straight insertion loading of magazines like on ARs, as opposed to having to use the rock and lock (not that I mind rock and lock).

Appearances aside, is there major design commonality with the Auto 5?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#4]
My father-in-law had a BAR Gd II in .30-06.  They only made the Gd II's for about 6 years there in the late 60's early 70's (the first run, seems like maybe they began making Gd II's again a few years ago).

Anyway, he didn't hunt with it at that time but he'd kept it.  He said it was the only rifle he'd ever shot where you could mix up 180 and 220 grain corloct Remington ammo in the magazine and shoot a 5" group at 300 yds.

When he died I got it and I gave it to my youngest son about a year ago.  Oh, still had the original box, papers, etc.  We don't keep it in the box but I thought it was kind of cool to have the box still.

Do you know what smooth is?  I have nothing against a Remington 742 (or the various models spawned along the way from the same ideas/design) but it's amazing how you don't notice how rough/draggy the bolt is on a Remington until you pull the bolt back on a Browning BAR.  On the Remington you apply pressure, the bolt begins to move, it drags/hangs up/comes loose/moves/drags/moves/hangs up and eventually you get it to the rear.  On the Browning you apply pressure and suddenly it stops.  You think, damn it's tight and needs some lube, then you look at the bolt handle and see it stopped because it's all the way to the rear.  Then you do that two or three more times to convince yourself it really is that smooth.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Really a great read. My BIL had one in 7 mag that stunned a few of us bolt gun guys by producing groups at 100yds that were dime sized with whatever factory ammo he was using at the time. Makes me want one of the new ones.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When they finally decided to go with detachable mags, what was the reason for developing a new mag instead of going with the FAL mag like originally intended by the guy who came up with the idea?

I kinda wonder that about the SCAR, too, really, especially since that magazine is close enough to a FAL magazine that FAL magazines can actually be modified to be SCAR-compatible (the feed lips need a bit of relieving at the front, the beak needs to be removed, and the window cut for the mag catch).  Would be nice to be able to use a single mag across all of these platforms.  The Bushmaster BAR-10 and RRA LAR-8 prove that the magazine can be adapted for use with the favoured push-button, straight insertion loading of magazines like on ARs, as opposed to having to use the rock and lock (not that I mind rock and lock).

Appearances aside, is there major design commonality with the Auto 5?
View Quote
FN had by that time stopped any production of FAL mags, had no tooling, etc... the FAL to them was a legacy product. Also rock in mags were out.

The BAR and Auto 5 have nothing in common.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The BAR is one of those guns that I've always loved. I've never owned one, but loved seeing them come into my grandpa's shop. One of these days, I'll have one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 of them.  This is my most recent.  Excellent rifle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#9]
That was indeed a good morning read. Good enough to make me want one
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Great rifles, I have a Belgium made one in '67 in .270 Win.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Thanks for the read.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#13]
After hunting my whole life with a bolt action I came across a great deal on a Bar in .270 and decided to give autos a shot. First morning I took it out I had a large doe step out a few hundred yards away, I snuggled up tight to the side of the shoot house and squeezed one off, I thought the gun exploded when the casing hit me across my eye and temple, I was about 3 inches from the side wall, It took me a good 15 seconds to figure out WTH happened. I did get the doe.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I have one I bought in '94--300MW with boss.  Impulse buy.  I didn't notice it has a 22" barrel until later.  I wonder if it's short to improve the muzzle brake.

The boss works as advertised, but after getting it tuned with the first batch of ammo I've since lacked the  patients to tune it.  Maybe I didn't do it right but for me it was nearly an all day thing to find the optimum.

The muzzle brake works very well but it's stupid loud.  I'm not carrying hear pro while hunting so I replaced the boss with brake with one without a brake.  Dont know if it can be tuned with it...I think it's a Winchester brand.  It shoots an unturned group of about 2.5" which is fine with me.  I dont hunt with it anyway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one I bought in '94--300MW with boss.  Impulse buy.  I didn't notice it has a 22" barrel until later.  I wonder if it's short to improve the muzzle brake.

The boss works as advertised, but after getting it tuned with the first batch of ammo I've since lacked the  patients to tune it.  Maybe I didn't do it right but for me it was nearly an all day thing to find the optimum.

The muzzle brake works very well but it's stupid loud.  I'm not carrying hear pro while hunting so I replaced the boss with brake with one without a brake.  Dont know if it can be tuned with it...I think it's a Winchester brand.  It shoots an unturned group of about 2.5" which is fine with me.  I dont hunt with it anyway.
View Quote
I have an Abolt with a boss in 7mm.  Its more painful for people next to you than it is for the shooter.

I don't hunt with earpro, and the boss isn't bad for just one shot.

When I worked at an LGS I loved playing with our Bars.  Easily the best semi auto hunting rifle on the market.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Steve Reichert posted what looked to be an early version of the McMillan stocked BAR from around ‘93. Except it was cambered in 300wm. It looked way more appealing than the monster semi auto 300s out there today.

Anyone have any info on this, it could be a cool project if it’s doable with an off the shelf BAR
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Great read. Thanks for sharing. I have 3 BAR's and wish I had a few more. I have a .243, .270 Win and a left hand eject BAR Short-trac .270WSM. I would like to get one of the MKIII eventually.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:22:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Neat.

I've always been fascinated by them even though I've never had one.  Browning does make a nice hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Dad gave me his Belgian made BAR 308.
He bought it new in 68/69.
Purchased as a deterrent for bears and moose as we had a cabin
on Moosehead Lake in Maine.
At 8 years old I saw him fire the 1st 3 rounds put thru it.
When he gave me the rifle a few years ago I put the next 3 rounds thru it.
Still have the 2 original boxes of Winchester 308s  and the 6 spent casings.
I have the original purchase receipt. +/- $240.00 with beautiful Leupold scope.
It has an Elk engraved on it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have 2 of them.  This is my most recent.  Excellent rifle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/579849CA-F477-430B-8BCF-5D2D51EFEDE8-635908.JPG
View Quote
Hey @Twisted10, how do you like your DBM?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Shot my first deer with an older model 30-06, and I've shot my last few with a new model .270. Love both rifles and they are incredibly accurate and smooth. The new model in .270 feels surprisingly light as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice rifle.  My dad bought one in .270 around 1991.  Still deerhunts with it every year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks @Miami_JBT now I have to find a FNAR Match
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks @Miami_JBT now I have to find a FNAR Match
View Quote
Good luck, they don't exist except for the ten prototypes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I can’t find any pictures online; but I have one of the limited run BAR Stalker Carbines. It has a fluted 18” barrel, front / rear sights, and a non-detachable magazine. It’s light, fast handling, and accurate. The best hunting rifle I have ever owned.

I didn’t know Browning had started making the BAR’s with a detachable magazine. Thank you OP,  for another informative post.

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I know a guy
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I know a guy
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a guy
Then you must share with me... and me alone @purple85gt
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#28]

oops wrong BAR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I am really digging on that model wearing the McMillan stock.  I would shoot the hell out of that.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can't find any pictures online; but I have one of the limited run BAR Stalker Carbines. It has a fluted 18" barrel, front / rear sights, and a non-detachable magazine. It's light, fast handling, and accurate. The best hunting rifle I have ever owned.

I didn't know Browning had started making the BAR's with a detachable magazine. Thank you OP,  for another informative post.

Accountant
View Quote
Here you go @Accountant30339

https://www.gunsamerica.com/955172539/Ltd-Edition-Browning-BAR-MKII-Lightweight-Stalker-FLUTED-308-Win-NE.htm
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Then you must share with me... and me alone @purple85gt
View Quote
Haha. If I ever get one I'll invite you up to shoot it. Florida isn't too far from SC

I do have something else really cool you might be interested in...I'll IM you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have an Abolt with a boss in 7mm.  Its more painful for people next to you than it is for the shooter.
View Quote
True that the boss is more punishing to those to its side.

I got bored one day and shot at a stump from my treestand.  I was stunned and almost dropped it.  That event prompted the brakeless boss purchase.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#33]
First shot of my new BPR .308

Yivli av tüfegi betonu parçaladi
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hey @Twisted10, how do you like your DBM?
View Quote
Love it.

Makes a great hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#35]
The Browning Maral is also basically a straight pull version of the BAR.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought a Rem 742 because I was to poor
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I am still pissed at myself for getting rid of my Hogstalker.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FN had by that time stopped any production of FAL mags, had no tooling, etc... the FAL to them was a legacy product. Also rock in mags were out.

The BAR and Auto 5 have nothing in common.
View Quote
You can use FAL mags without rock n' lock. It's done on currently produced firearms and has been done since the 1990s, IIRC. The magazine release on such firearms sits about where it is on the detachable mag BARs in the pics you posted.

The tooling argument makes no sense. You literally need almost the exact same tooling to produce a SCAR mag as to produce a FAL mag. The mags are basically FAL mags designed to use an AR instead of a FAL mag catch and with the feed lips contoured up front for the SCAR's slightly larger bolt geometry, with a plastic instead of metal follower (which is interchangeable with a FAL follower, in any case).

The only things I can think of are that it is more profitable to make two new proprietary mags that you can set the price for and that for at least a time will be available nowhere else, or that the rifle designs are incompatible with the FAL mag in terms of the bolts and such, although this seems less likely with the BAR if a version had been conceived by a designer of a variant of it to use such mags; not sure it holds water with the SCAR, either, especially since it seems to use an AR style bolt, which can be made with FAL-mag compatible geometry.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

True that the boss is more punishing to those to its side.

I got bored one day and shot at a stump from my treestand.  I was stunned and almost dropped it.  That event prompted the brakeless boss purchase.
View Quote
Yeah, I just never wanted to get the CR replacement.

But it is loud.  Shooting it under a covered shooting position will clear the entire line at the gun range.

I started hunting in a little valley a few years back, the day after I shot my first deer there the neighbors were calling the owner asking him if he was shooting off a cannon.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I always wanted to rebore one of those to .458 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Arms Tech Ltd. was contracted by SOCOM in the mid 1990s to take the BAR MkII in .300 Win Mag and make it into a long distance semi-auto sniper platform. They came up with the Super Match Interdiction Rifle.

Also here is a Browning BAR Match from Europe.

It is a FNAR sold under the Browning name across the pond.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Arms Tech Ltd. was contracted by SOCOM in the mid 1990s to take the BAR MkII in .300 Win Mag and make it into a long distance semi-auto sniper platform. They came up with the Super Match Interdiction Rifle.

http://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/01-5.jpg

http://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/01-4.jpg

View Quote
I wonder what it would take to build a SMIR off of a current BAR
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The company is still in business. Go ask them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a new-ish one in .308 for my deer rifle. I love that gun but wish it had a detchable magazine instead of that stupid hinged contraption.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think they'll talk to you unless you're a DoD buyer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#46]
My dad loves the Browning BAR.

He's got 3 or 4 of them.

All shoot really accurate for being a semi auto rifle.

The one he has with a BOSS can shoot 1 hole groups when it's tuned right.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My dad loves the Browning BAR.

He's got 3 or 4 of them.

All shoot really accurate for being a semi auto rifle.

The one he has with a BOSS can shoot 1 hole groups when it's tuned right.
View Quote
I want a BOSS in .30-06
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#48]
LukeDuke had the Hogstalker for a short time. I think he used it for He Man or whatever it is. I also have a BAR 22. It's a heavy sum bitch for a .22. The BAR .22's go for 600$ + last time I looked. I would like to get a BAR in 7 Mag or .300 Win Mag. A couple years they offered the BAR in 25-06 and .270 Weatherby. Would love to find one of those.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#49]
If anyone has a BAR and wants to date it, try this.....https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-bar-history.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If anyone has a BAR and wants to date it, try this.....https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-bar-history.html
View Quote
Browning BAR charts make S&W Model Numbers seem easy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top