Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im not sure you really understand how CO2 poisoning really works.  Even low levels of it can kill you over time. It builds up in your body over time .

I have a 50 amp outlet on the side of my house for the generator to suicide plug into.  This is not a good idea for about 75% of the population, maybe more.  It is also used to run an air compressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be so damn hysterical!
You have to be smarter than the average rabbit. You have to have the presence of mind to flip the main breakers off before plugging into a socket.  My garage is wired so one side corresponds to one leg, and the other garage side to the other leg.

Chain the Genny to the Jeep parked in the garage, and plug into the side of the garage that what you need powered in the house. Easy.

Now, the only downside is that you have to watch the neighborhood to see when the power comes back on, to know when to unhook the Genny and repower the breaker box. 
You really can't be that stupid , can you?
People get killed after every natural disaster from running generators indoors.

The fucking generator must be outdoors where there is no chance of exhaust gasses re-entering the building.

So far 3 people have died in Florida due to this stupidity.
You really can't be that stupid, can you?  The garage has a 17ft door. The door is OPEN. THAT is why the Genny has to be CHAINED to the frame of a locked vehicle. Because theft.  Just because Floridians can't think for themselves, don't think other people are as foolish!
Im not sure you really understand how CO2 poisoning really works.  Even low levels of it can kill you over time. It builds up in your body over time .

I have a 50 amp outlet on the side of my house for the generator to suicide plug into.  This is not a good idea for about 75% of the population, maybe more.  It is also used to run an air compressor.
I'm not sure you really understand how poisoning really works. It's CO {carbon monoxide} that causes the poisoning, not CO2, which your body produces and a by-produce of the human metabolic process.
Since I know the difference between CO & C02, you don't need to be lecturing me.  Go annoy someone else with inaccurate information and overwrought warnings. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically it doesn't cost that much to hire an electrician to put in a transfer switch. I paid about $700 to have the switch put in and a generator plug outside to plug my portable in. They included a proper size generator cable  too. I'd guess that price will vary depending on the length of cable runs and what not. But it beats screwing around rigging it. They set up a nice plug outside to plug in the genset, put the transfer switch in your breaker box, connect it all up right, plus handle the permit and inspection to keep it legal. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If a lineman dies working on a line it's his fault. He will either work it like its hot(wear gloves and sleeves) or test it and ground it on both sides of his work zone for bare hand work.

That's the way we are trained to do it.  "It ain't dead unless its grounded'.
View Quote
Lineman or "ordinary" electrician, this is how it's done. Just like every firearm is loaded until you yourself confirm otherwise, so goes with electrical systems.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You have to be smarter than the average rabbit. You have to have the presence of mind to flip the main breakers off before plugging into a socket.  My garage is wired so one side corresponds to one leg, and the other garage side to the other leg.

Chain the Genny to the Jeep parked in the garage, and plug into the side of the garage that what you need powered in the house. Easy.

Now, the only downside is that you have to watch the neighborhood to see when the power comes back on, to know when to unhook the Genny and repower the breaker box. 
View Quote
Which far and away, most people are not and do not have.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Get a panel outside with cutoff and a plug, do it right or go without.

Transfer switches suck unless it's for a stand by, pay someone to replace the panel with a built in interlock and a 30-50 amp 220 plug.
View Quote
What makes them suck? Durability?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im not sure you really understand how CO2CO poisoning really works.  Even low levels of it can kill you over time. It builds up in your body over time .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really can't be that stupid , can you?
People get killed after every natural disaster from running generators indoors.

The fucking generator must be outdoors where there is no chance of exhaust gasses re-entering the building.

So far 3 people have died in Florida due to this stupidity.
You really can't be that stupid, can you?  The garage has a 17ft door. The door is OPEN. THAT is why the Genny has to be CHAINED to the frame of a locked vehicle. Because theft.  Just because Floridians can't think for themselves, don't think other people are as foolish!
Im not sure you really understand how CO2CO poisoning really works.  Even low levels of it can kill you over time. It builds up in your body over time .

While we're being all smart about things... fixed it for you.

But pedantic chemistry aside, you are correct about running them even in an garage with open doors.  This was explicitly tested by NIOSH.  Iowa State has this to say about it:

When I work in the garage, I keep all the doors open. Is that okay? No. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) ran a 5.5 horsepower gasoline-powered pressure washer in a double garage with both doors open, the window open, and a vent open. In only 12 minutes CO concentrations in the garage rose to 658 parts per million (ppm). The rate of emission from a typical gasoline engine is so large (30,000 to 100,000 ppm) that it is very difficult to provide sufficient ventilation. NIOSH warns, “Do not use equipment and tools powered by gasoline engines inside buildings…”
I do the same as you, I have an outlet on the outside that I plug the suicide cable into, and I disconnect both the indoor main and the outdoor service disconnect before I fire up the generator, and I shut the generator off before I flip them back on, it's a routine I've practiced many times.  I live in an area where we get frequent short outages (no more than 4 hours usually) so I've only ever really NEEDED to hook the genny up maybe twice in 5 years.

But the generator is ALWAYS outside, and I keep it as far from the house as my hookup cable will allow (about 30 feet).

For the other guy, the reason CO is so deadly is that the onset of symptoms can be quite gradual, so you don't really notice it.  You can't smell it, you can't see it, you can't feel it.  It's just another gas introduced into the air around you.  So you might not have any symptoms at all or maybe you just have mild symptoms like a minor headache or just feel a bit "off" for a few hours, but then you go to bed and die in your sleep because the CO levels keep building in your blood until you die from hypoxia.  CO binds to the red blood cells and prevents them from attaching to O2 molecules, and the more CO in your blood the less O2, so you basically suffocate over many minutes (suicide by car exhaust) to several hours (people running generators and improperly ventilated combustion heat sources inside their homes).
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are literally full of shit.

If you shut your main off. Everything else is a mute point. You will only be powering your house. "Good way to kill a lineman is total bullshit". If you ACTUALLY back fed your neighborhood your generator would stall or fault from the excess load. This is because everything that's still left switched on in every house on your block is a power draw. Just like if you are isolated and left your HVAC system on while trying to power your house with too small of a gen set it would stall or default.  Not to mention safety protocol dictates they check the line and isolate the repair.  If you think Harry home owners gen set can back feed a neighborhood you are either retarded, full of shit or parroting bullshit that your read on the internet.
View Quote
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

But what do I know, it only says "Master" on my license.

The only way the backfeeding could be a problem is if you are the only service on a transformer.  Like at the end of a rural road where the power company has installed a service that includes a transformer with only your house on it.

Bottom line, you should do it to protect your generator.  They have panel interlock kits that are cheap and easily installed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Do generator engines produce more than CO than vehicles?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.
They don't have emissions that your car does.
Also they are usually running under a load.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been doing it for almost 40 years, but I'm not an idiot, and nobody has been hurt.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think so - your vehicle has a catalytic converter on it (most likely), while your genny does not.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Natural gas generator - no.

Gasoline  - if the generator is under load and your car is idling, then sure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transfer switches suck unless it's for a stand by, pay someone to replace the panel with a built in interlock and a 30-50 amp 220 plug.
Basically, if you have it installed professionally it may be a lasting solution but you can only power a certain amount of items on the switch. Also they are only rated to so much, so what happens if you get a bigger genset? It also has to be mounted inside and you still have to buy the plug and wiring for the receptacle outside.

With a interlock, say you get a nice big genset from the 30a one you just sold. So now you have a 50a and all it takes is basic tools and some proper gauge wire, correct breaker and plug to switch over.

It's a longer lasting solution to the problem that can be upgraded to a larger size for under $50 where as the transfer switch you buy for a portable genset will have to be replaced.

FYI a transfer switch from home Depot for a portable generator is alot more than the interlock panel and breakers as well as being mounted outside.

If you have a stand by generator then the automatic transfer switch is obviously the way to go. My statement was only about portable generator  and a transfer switch vs a interlock with generator receptacle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#14]
FYI, someone posted earlier about plugging into your dryer receptacle and cutting the main breaker off. That will work but the issue is also with idiots not knowing how to do this and causing shorting/fires/electrocuted homeowners.

The other issue is that you can smoke the dryer plug or wires to your box if the amperage is higher than the line can handle from your generator because of long term use during a outage.

I don't recommend it as it's easier to have a interlock installed during the building of your home or as a upgraydd for a double dose of pimpin during a outage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is how do you verify that your main breaker that you turned off (cuz your safe), is actually off.
I take it no one has ever seen a breaker fail closed. Aka the switch arm moves but the internals are broken and its still live.
I haven't seen that on a main yet, but I've seen a few single pole and double poles like that. Or the better yet, double pole breaker that only drops one leg when off or tripped. (saw that once).

Point is that in here there are very few people in this forum that will go the extra step and pull the cover and ohm the breaker to verify that it is indeed off.
View Quote
That problem is not eliminated by an external interlock on the breaker panel, fwiw.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Isn't the Neutral & Ground still tied in if you shut off your Main Breaker?
View Quote
Ground isn't tied to anything. Ground goes to... The ground. Literally. There should be a big rod jammed into the ground somewhere outside your house with a wire leading off of it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It could go two ways.  If your generator and the utility power are at the same frequency and power angle, your generator will happily chug away until the gas runs out (plausible- but rare).

Now, if the gen and the incoming utility power are out of step, then the bigger guy will win.  Hopefully your gen will trip before the magic smoke comes out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For curiosity's sake.
It could go two ways.  If your generator and the utility power are at the same frequency and power angle, your generator will happily chug away until the gas runs out (plausible- but rare).

Now, if the gen and the incoming utility power are out of step, then the bigger guy will win.  Hopefully your gen will trip before the magic smoke comes out.  
Ever seen a 2500kW get snapped into phase that way?  It's a humbling experience watching a 15 ton generator jump.  snapped a few of these:

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
please tell me how you will kill that lineman if you flip your main breaker?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it, people that have larger units are going to back feed the bus bar in their breaker panel by rigging a double male into a 110 outlet (cus most people are fucking dumb).  The load is on the other end of that 12 gauge romex, so the generator will keep squeezing the amps in there until the wire gets melty.
please tell me how you will kill that lineman if you flip your main breaker?
@J75player

Sure thing.  It would help if you even understood the question, which you obviously do not.  Here is the original question that I responded to that had fuck all to do with backfeeding the grid:

Quoted:

Now- my light duty backup before the transfer switch was an Honda 2000 - which means it only puts out about 16 amps max.  I don't have a single breaker in my panel smaller than 15 amps.  How is this going to burn down my house (assuming main breaker off, and all sub breakers off except for the outside socket that is backfeeding, and the breakers for the refridgerator and freezer [and furnace if it's winter])?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ever seen a 2500kW get snapped into phase that way?  It's a humbling experience watching a 15 ton generator jump.  snapped a few of these:

http://www.vibrodynamics.com/images/spring/vsc-xh1_mounts.gif
View Quote
Neat!

Right now I am too busy arguing with all the GD electrical 'experts' in here, trying to teach them a little something, but it is like trying to heard chickens....

There are a bunch of people in here that have it right too.  

And this is why we can't have nice things.  Cuz some tards get away with stuff, and tell other tards, and etc  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not all electrical panels have a single main shutoff. Some homes built from like the 50s to the 70s have a split bus panel where each high amp appliance has its own breaker and then a single 60 amp shutoff for the remainder of the panel's 15 and 20 amp breakers (lights and outlets).

The problem here is some retard may shutoff the 60 amp "main" that he sees in his panel, but then plugs the generator into the drier outlet, which would still be connected to the utility.

That's the trouble with giving advice for stuff like this. Most people don't know what they are looking at and will make stupid assumptions.
View Quote
LOL c'mon, this is GD!!  Its all about stupid assumptions!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner!

But what do I know, it only says "Master" on my license.

The only way the backfeeding could be a problem is if you are the only service on a transformer.  Like at the end of a rural road where the power company has installed a service that includes a transformer with only your house on it.

Bottom line, you should do it to protect your generator.  They have panel interlock kits that are cheap and easily installed.
View Quote
There are numerous ways in which a single generator (small 5000W size) could potentially energize primary without tripping out due to multiple houses drawing current from it.

There are several layers of protection between a person's generator and a lineman's squishy conductive parts. Nonetheless, the small cracks in these layers do occasionally line up and you've got a dead or injured lineman.

Bottom line, if you don't know what you're doing....don't f around with sparks.

For full disclosure, I have a suicide cord setup (until I get to rewiring the house we just bought). It comes with detailed step by step instructions I made (with pictures), and I run my wife and my father through the drill of hooking it up several times a year. Cause when the power goes off....I'm out chasing downed wires.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You are missing the important step to not harm the linemen.

Kill your main breaker.

The idea is still stupid,  but at least this way you can be less stupid.

What this does is separates your pole power from your breaker panel while it has voltage.
View Quote
or pull you meter...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why is remembering to throw the disconnect more better than remembering to throw the main breakers?  This might be a cleaner setup, but it would still backfeed if the owner forgets to throw the disconnect - right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why is remembering to throw the disconnect more better than remembering to throw the main breakers?  This might be a cleaner setup, but it would still backfeed if the owner forgets to throw the disconnect - right.
Quoted:

Is this really that much different than flipping main breaker off?  In other words, if you forget to flip either either one ...
@john57 @criley

I believe @otar answered it best:

Quoted:
The other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is how do you verify that your main breaker that you turned off (cuz your safe), is actually off.
I take it no one has ever seen a breaker fail closed. Aka the switch arm moves but the internals are broken and its still live.
I haven't seen that on a main yet, but I've seen a few single pole and double poles like that. Or the better yet, double pole breaker that only drops one leg when off or tripped. (saw that once).

Point is that in here there are very few people in this forum that will go the extra step and pull the cover and ohm the breaker to verify that it is indeed off.
I have seen it on a main.  Then the utility transformer fuse becomes your overload protection for your secondary...

The point is a DP DT transfer switch physically moves an arm (like an old horror movie- big knife blades) to create an open, islanding you from the grid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For curiosity's sake.
View Quote
Nothing if your main breaker is open. If it's still closed and power comes back, your generator turns into a motor and it will be destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There are numerous ways in which a single generator (small 5000W size) could potentially energize primary without tripping out due to multiple houses drawing current from it.

There are several layers of protection between a person's generator and a lineman's squishy conductive parts. Nonetheless, the small cracks in these layers do occasionally line up and you've got a dead or injured lineman.

Bottom line, if you don't know what you're doing....don't f around with sparks.

For full disclosure, I have a suicide cord setup (until I get to rewiring the house we just bought). It comes with detailed step by step instructions I made (with pictures), and I run my wife and my father through the drill of hooking it up several times a year. Cause when the power goes off....I'm out chasing downed wires.
View Quote
It won't matter, there was an actual utility troubleshooter in here that has seen it happen, and they still spout off their bull shit.  

Clip is out guys, gun is unloaded
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I know that. You know that. Your average homeowner with a brand new generator probably doesn't know that. When they lose power is probably only the second time they've cranked the thing. They have drunk Billy bob next door showing them what to do and they go home and screw it up and kill someone.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, ya know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How would a lineman die with the main breaker off. Please explain.
I know that. You know that. Your average homeowner with a brand new generator probably doesn't know that. When they lose power is probably only the second time they've cranked the thing. They have drunk Billy bob next door showing them what to do and they go home and screw it up and kill someone.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, ya know?
Irrelevant to the main point.  Some average homeowner yahoo isn't going to read this thread anyway.

But the OP might, and can actually be educated.  It's possible and can be done safely as long as the proper steps are followed, like most things in life.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be interesting to see what percentage of all reported CO poisonings are from propane- or NG-fueled portable generators.

Even after you accounted for the higher number of gasoline-fueled portable generators out there, you'd probably still see a much lower incidence of CO poisoning with LPG or NG models.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:23:46 PM EDT
[#28]
the fuck is going on here.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Irrelevant to the main point.  Some average homeowner yahoo isn't going to read this thread anyway.

But the OP might, and can actually be educated.  It's possible and can be done safely as long as the proper steps are followed, like most things in life.
View Quote
Agreed.  I do it when needed.  Never had an issue.  I do have an electrical license and I do understand what I am doing, but it isn't really that hard either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Morpheus is fighting Neo.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird. I thought I quoted Badlatitude and was agreeing with him. Also thought I mentioned something about drama queens...

Oh well, "the fuck is going on here" covered it pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Basically, if you have it installed professionally it may be a lasting solution but you can only power a certain amount of items on the switch. Also they are only rated to so much, so what happens if you get a bigger genset? It also has to be mounted inside and you still have to buy the plug and wiring for the receptacle outside.

With a interlock, say you get a nice big genset from the 30a one you just sold. So now you have a 50a and all it takes is basic tools and some proper gauge wire, correct breaker and plug to switch over.

It's a longer lasting solution to the problem that can be upgraded to a larger size for under $50 where as the transfer switch you buy for a portable genset will have to be replaced.

FYI a transfer switch from home Depot for a portable generator is alot more than the interlock panel and breakers as well as being mounted outside.

If you have a stand by generator then the automatic transfer switch is obviously the way to go. My statement was only about portable generator  and a transfer switch vs a interlock with generator receptacle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. I  just moved into this home and I have been on the fence about how I want to do it.

The home is 80's construction and currently only has a 100A service to the house and a second 100A panel to the pool. I have been weighing the decision between putting a switch in or replacing the 100A home panel with a 200A service and including an interlock in the process.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I had an electrician install a welding receptacle and a 2 pole 50 amp breaker in my panel for it.  Turn off the main, plug it in, fire it up, switch the generator circuit breaker on.  works fine.  just have to make sure you turn your main off first.  Built the 10 gauge cord with male twistlocks on each end.  good to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had an electrician install a welding receptacle and a 2 pole 50 amp breaker in my panel for it.  Turn off the main, plug it in, fire it up, switch the generator circuit breaker on.  works fine.  just have to make sure you turn your main off first.  Built the 10 gauge cord with male twistlocks on each end.  good to go.
View Quote
I'm no sparky, but I don't think these two things go together.  10ga is 30 amps max.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm no sparky, but I don't think these two things go together.  10ga is 30 amps max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cord doubles as a temporary heat source in the winter.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.

But everything else he said is idiotic as well.  Why would you have an electrician install a dangerous and illegal suicide cord system in your home when a safe system is so easy and inexpensive??

As an electrical contractor from NJ who has been installing portable generator hookups for years and has done hundreds since superstorm Sandy, all I could do is shake my head when reading this thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why anyone would do this rather than wire up a dedicated plug with a real interlock is beyond me.
View Quote
This.  Just install a proper interlock kit and inlet on the outside of your house, properly sized for your generator.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
^^^This.

Had a xfer switch on my house in Va. Beach.  It was nice, but kinda like having a second main power panel.  I did like having an analog (needle on gauge) power meter though.  It took some work between the electrician and I to balance the panels out for critical/non-critical functions.

In my new house I have an interlock installed.  Much simpler; it powers the whole panel and I manage my own loading.  Town power?  Great- you can't hit the "power from generator breaker" while your town power breaker is closed.  Wanna run the genny?  That breaker won't close to provide power unless you open the main breaker, therefore isolating the house.  

My system still uses a 30A 4 pin twist plug, which kinda excludes me from the cool HF Predator sale.

The installation from the electrician is a shitshow though.  It works, and works fine, but I'm ashamed of the price for the shitty job.  

Looks like some work to do in the spring.  Ain't gonna touch it for now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
On a firearms board of all places. "You're too stupid to handle something potentially dangerous" and "leave it to the professionals or someone will get killed" are phrases we have heard before.

There are ideal situations. Yes it would be wonderful if everyone had the funds to have a permanently and professionally installed NG powered whole house generator with an automatic transfer switch.

Not everyone has the resources or ability to achieve that.

Anytime you are dealing with fuel, motors, and electricity there are risks. Risks can be mitigated by "stuff", or by knowledge and processes, or a combination of both.

Emergencies introduce more risks. Sometimes people are left with a choice to make the best of a bad situation. Knowledge is helpful.

Some are quick to throw out the possibility of injury or death of a lineman. Which is eliminated if people follow the correct procedure. What they don't mention is the alternative risks that they introduce - where are the statistics for fires and deaths caused by overloaded extension cords, multi-taps, and plugging and unplugging electrical cords? I'm sure that number is higher than linemen who have been killed or injured. How about an elderly person tripping over an extension cord? All are risks. You make your choices to mitigate the hazards as best you can with the resources you have available.

I don't think anyone is arguing that a double male cord is the ideal. But reflexive shouting that it will necessarily kill people is no better than the antis who shriek that an AR15 is a weapon of mass destruction/murder machine. They can be used without killing anyone, and if the correct procedure is followed, is safer than the alternatives. The knowledge of how to do this is a useful, and potentially lifesaving piece of emergency preparedness knowledge to have.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#40]
30A Inlet: $50
10' 30A cord: $50 (20' is $75)
Interlock: $50 (depends on the brand, this could go up to $150 for a 3rd party brand).
2-pole breaker: $11-18

All of those things can be purchased from Amazon.  Then you go to Home Depot or Lowes for a few connectors, some 10-3 romex, silicone to seal the inlet, and that's just about it.

I install at least 2 of these a week.  I used to do 10 after Sandy.  It's easy and cheap and it will raise the value of your house instead of being illegal like a suicide cord system.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
shut off main breakers, then no power will leave the house...
View Quote
Correct, but any damage done by the generator will not be covered by your home owners insurance. If you burn down your house, it's all on you.

As many above said, don't do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted: My system still uses a 30A 4 pin twist plug, which kinda excludes me from the cool HF Predator sale.
View Quote
You can make a cord to connect something like that to your system.  I often make up cords to connect 120v Honda EU2000i's to a 120/240v twistlock 30A inlet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You are missing the important step to not harm the linemen.

Kill your main breaker.

The idea is still stupid,  but at least this way you can be less stupid.

What this does is separates your pole power from your breaker panel while it has voltage.
View Quote
This. Even asked a electrical engineer. You shut your main off, completely cutting your house off from the electrical grid (a good idea anyway during an outage).
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

On a firearms board of all places. "You're too stupid to handle something potentially dangerous" and "leave it to the professionals or someone will get killed" are phrases we have heard before.

There are ideal situations. Yes it would be wonderful if everyone had the funds to have a permanently and professionally installed NG powered whole house generator with an automatic transfer switch.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not everyone has the resources to buy a firearm, should they make one themselves???

I don't think anyone is arguing that a double male cord is the ideal.
 Yeah, I don't think drilling a barrel out of steel and tempering it yourself is ideal, but it may work to make a homemade gun, right??  

You are right about us being on a firearm enthusiasts forum which means just about everyone here has at least 1 firearm they can sell to pay for the small amount of equipment needed to make a safe portable generator connection.  

Hell, many of us shoot more in ammo in a weekend than it would cost to do the generator installation.  

And if you can't afford it, then bust your ass this month doing odd jobs to make the money.

It's amazing how some of you will try to justify doing something STUPID.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#46]
https://www.oshrc.gov/decisions/html_2007/06-0166.htm

The line on which Adam was working was connectedby a secondary line to a house at the end of Jackson Street (referred to at the hearing as “a doctor’s house”).  The homeowner had connected a portable generator to the house’s circuitry which caused electrical energy to backfeed to the line Adams was splicing, energizing it.  Adams was electrocuted when he cut the line.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The basic premise is that that he pigtails two 'male' plugs together... one end coming from the genny and the other running into the dryer's plug thus 'backfeeding' power back into the house's existing wires.

Surely it can't be that simple, right?
View Quote
Yes, it will work.
Just MAKE SURE you turn off the main breaker (in the house breaker panel) before plugging anything in.
Leave it off while the generator is plugged in.
Installing a dedicated breaker and receptacle would be better, though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Just throwing this out there. This seems like a good solution for getting your little genny's juice inside the house without having a cord running through an exterior door or window. https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4937-Weatherproof-Wallplate-Receptacle/dp/B00074USHY Connect it to a new standard 3 prong receptacle/box inside and label it. Still gonna have the spaghetti monster of extension cords inside though. Think I will do this at the lakeplace.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#49]
lol!

This is one subject guaranteed to trigger the helpless Milleneals.

Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depends on the power setting...
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top