Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/7/2017 4:51:42 PM EDT
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/credit-reporting-firm-equifax-says-cybersecurity-incident-could-potentially-affect-143-million-us-consumers.html

Equifax Inc., which supplies credit information and other information services, said Thursday that a cybersecurity incident could have potentially affected 143 million consumers in the U.S.

Equifax said it discovered the breach on July 29. Leaked data includes names, birth dates, social security numbers, addresses and potentially drivers licenses. 209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were also obtained, in addition to "certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers."
View Quote
143 million?  That's basically everybody with a credit history.  I guess everyone gets to feel like a victim of the OPM breach now.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Soon I won't be able to count on both hands the number of times my info has been stolen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Well. This sucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
So will I get free credit monitoring from this incident too?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
New CISO opening at Equifax in 3...2...1...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
At this rate, I may never have to pay for credit monitoring again...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure.  From Equifax.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
May they be overwhelmed with lawsuits, and pay dearly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Shit, I'm currently enrolled in multiple credit monitoring services for a number of different breaches.  Every one of them was compliments of a company that had a cybersecurity incident.  

Trying to keep your identity/credit secure these days is like driving your car to the shittiest part of town, locking 3 of the 4 doors, and walking away.  No matter what you do on your end, somebody else drops the ball.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

They collected all that data, they have a duty to protect it.

They failed.  They should be on the hook for every single penny that is stolen via ID theft.  Every damn penny.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
So Equifax, a company that compiled all of my information without my approval or input, put that information in a place where it could be stolen?

Guess, it's time to get in on the ground floor of that class action suit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Well it sure is a good thing they're keeping all of our information on-hand so they can have it stolen at random intervals.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#12]
That is extremely bad.  Someone is going to be in deep yogurt without a spoon.

Quoted:
So Equifax, a company that compiled all of my information without my approval or input, put that information in a place where it could be stolen? 

View Quote
Victims of the breach will get one year of Equifax 3-bureau credit monitoring for free.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Prison for everyone.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good timing, my free credit monitoring just ended from the Aim Surplus debacle
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Yay. Have email notifications gone out?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Well at least Troy Hunt can change "Have I been Pwned" to a simple website that just says "Yes".
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#17]
ARFcom will hire our resident penguin lawyer in a class action suit for 3 NFA F/A weapons for each paying member as a settlement.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, my credit is already shit from a few years ago... Been climbing out since then, good luck if anyone tries to get a loan
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I......I.....I feel damaged....somehow.  Violated in...... strange and......... unknown ways.

That has to be worth a couple mil, right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
ARFcom will hire our resident penguin lawyer in a class action suit for 3 NFA F/A weapons for each paying member as a settlement.
View Quote
With the usual lawyer billing shenanigans he'd probably end up with all the guns and we'd get one magazine apiece.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/credit-reporting-firm-equifax-says-cybersecurity-incident-could-potentially-affect-143-million-us-consumers.html

Equifax Inc., which supplies credit information and other information services, said Thursday that a cybersecurity incident could have potentially affected 143 million consumers in the U.S.

Equifax said it discovered the breach on July 29. Leaked data includes names, birth dates, social security numbers, addresses and potentially drivers licenses. 209,000 U.S. credit card numbers were also obtained, in addition to "certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers."
View Quote
143 million?  That's basically everybody with a credit history.  I guess everyone gets to feel like a victim of the OPM breach now.  
View Quote
Enh.  Chinese have had all of my information for years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

With the usual lawyer billing shenanigans he'd probably end up with all the guns and we'd get one magazine apiece.
View Quote
I hope it's a D60
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#23]
If they locked the data up in Fort Knox no one would see it...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh FFS...thanx eqiufax.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly this. What the fuck..

The whole industry is one big fucking joke. Just more companies that are either too big or too well connected to be held liable.

OPM already got me, but this one could offer up more potential info(?).

Fucking assholes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in if for no other reason than to express my happiness at this development.  Any chance this is fake news?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I have id theft monitoring through Equifax free from a previous data breach, lol. At this point one can just laugh about it and shrug it off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Someone @ me when this get tied to Seth Rich.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm in if for no other reason than to express my happiness at this development.  Any chance this is fake news?
View Quote
@Kazual Not fake unfortunately...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/09/07/equifax-says-details-143-mln-consumers-potentially-hacked.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Prison for everyone.
View Quote
Not defending Equifax but how about hunting down these hackers and giving them the death penalty.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Good timing, my free credit monitoring just ended from the Aim Surplus debacle
View Quote
You too huh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#35]
In before the $.06 settlement check I get in the mail from the lawyers who made millions off of this breach.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Not defending Equifax but how about hunting down these hackers and giving them the death penalty.
View Quote
I'm all for it.  It could be done if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I feel a great disturbance in the force.  As if thousands of lawyers cried out in joy and rushed to the Mercedes dealership.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:55:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yay free magazine!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#39]
BURN!, this is why I keep my credit rating in the toilet.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Idiots...

Anyone used the tool to test if your info was stolen?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This.

They failed.  They should be on the hook for every single penny that is stolen via ID theft.  Every damn penny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Yep. Credit reporting companies are bottom feeding scumbags. Trying to remove incorrect information takes an act of congress.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#43]
In the past month both my CC and Debit card have been compromised......

EDIT: English is my second language
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
wonder is their IT was outsourced overseas? 
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Even if there is a class action against Equifax all you'd probably get is a $10 coupon to Olive Garden by the time the the legal firms get their cut.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Soon I won't be able to count on both hands the number of times my info has been stolen.
View Quote
There are some minor things I should probably get added to my DD214.  Would it be easier to go through records and send in forms or call up the Chinese embassy and have them run my credit card and let them do it for me?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah a NY compliant magazine.  <penguin laughter as he flippers his way back to his ill gotten gain>
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That is extremely bad.  Someone is going to be in deep yogurt without a spoon.

Victims of the breach will get one year of Equifax 3-bureau credit monitoring for free.
View Quote
One year isn't good enough. Any smart theif would just wait a year or so to start using someone's info.

It should be seven years just like it takes for something to fall off your report and they need to start having to payout to people who information was stolen and I'm not talking a couple of bucks.

They collected all that data they are responsible
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prison for everyone.
Get both. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top