Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 1:39:13 PM EDT
I have a small one that's 5000 BTU , but too small for our room. I'll probably use that in my son's room.

Needs to be 120 volt, and able to cool 400ish sq ft with high ceilings.

Lowes has a Frigidaire  10,000 BTU for $299. Says up to 450 sq ft.

Can't find the wattage listed under specs though . My little one is listed at 600 watts. So maybe double that?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a small one that's 5000 BTU , but too small for our room. I'll probably use that in my son's room.

Needs to be 120 volt, and able to cool 400ish sq ft with high ceilings.

Lowes has a Frigidaire  10,000 BTU for $299. Says up to 450 sq ft.

Can't find the wattage listed under specs though . My little one is listed at 600 watts. So maybe double that?
View Quote

Yep - Should be pretty close to double. Note that the starting surge will be a lot more than the rated running load - which may give your generator trouble.

For that reason, it might make more sense to use a second 5000 btu unit instead - you can wait for the generator to start the first one before you turn on the second.

For short-term use, even a grossly undersized window unit makes a room a lot more comfortable - Reducing the humidity is one reason why. Add a box or table fan (or temporarily wire your ceiling fan to the generator) to keep air moving.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I FO'd

Bought a 12000Btu Frigidaire.  Hope I don't regret it , not knowing the wattage.
The 10000btu wasn't available at the lowes near me.

I got too excited and didn't want them sold out like last time for Ike.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I FO'd

Bought a 12000Btu Frigidaire.  Hope I don't regret it , not knowing the wattage.
The 10000btu wasn't available at the lowes near me.

I got too excited and didn't want them sold out like last time for Ike.
View Quote
Probably a good idea going bigger, can always turn it down if it's to cold.  

Probably between 11-1300 watts depending on efficiency.  Surge will be more of course 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a DeLonghi 12,500 btu standing room A/C that has a flexible hose that goes to a panel you vent out the window.  It does a pretty good job at cooling just my bedroom and bathroom when my upstairs heat pump went out in May and it was 85 outside, and it was keeping those 2 small rooms at about 74 degrees.  10 amps, 115 volts.  It's a great emergency HVAC unit for one room like this.  I used a similar unit downstairs a few years ago when my downstairs heat pump quit, and it did OK, since the heat flows upstairs to where I still had cooling at that time.  My downstairs has no doors to seal off rooms, and is approximately 900 sq ft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top