Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:24:53 PM EDT
So, I've lived pretty well.  I could afford to eat what I wanted.  My sister has said that you could always count on munchies in our pantry.  TastyCake cupcakes.  Chocolate Klondike bars in the freezer.  Sweets everywhere for the taking.

Living like that meant we always had cold bottles of Coca Cola too.  I enjoyed a bottle or sometimes 2 a day if I was working hard.

There's a day though when your body rebels, and I've past that day.  A few pounds overweight, a few too many cupcakes and Coca Colas - and wham - type 2 diabetes is knocking.

So I stop by the local Walgreens and buy a cheap blood glucose tester.  No prescription required.  It confirms my suspicion.  I see the doctor and hand him the meter with 2 weeks of data.  Understand I had knocked off sweets 2 weeks BEFORE I bought the meter.

I've lost 17lbs in the last 30 days, now down to 210.  My glucose readings are sometimes higher than they should be - like 140-160.  But if I eat better it gets below 100 - like 85-95.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me - it's about you.  I bought a cheap Walgreens store brand meter, which the Doc said was actually a good one.

If you feel like you might be flirting with T2D (the beetus), go to the pharmacy and drop something like $40.  My Walgreens model came with 25 test strips - enough for me to confirm my suspicions.

My Doc was pleased that I caught this, am losing weight, and eating the way someone with T2D should.  The numbers show I can manage it.  I didn't have to go get some blood test.  But I actually had one a year ago which alerted me that I was nearing this point.

Finding out early, is better than damaging your body to the point where managing this involves insulin or drastic changes.

So if you're thinking you might be getting to the point I was, listen to your body and go get a meter.  They're cheap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No need for the tests; a telltale sign of being on track for the beetus is drinking a bottle or two of soda a day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No need for the tests; a telltale sign of being on track for the beetus is drinking a bottle or two of soda a day.
View Quote
True, it was the perceived need for caffeine and sugar. The small 12oz bottles.  Usually 1/day with lunch or dinner.  But you can't take that to the Doctor like a meter with historical data.

If I was doing hours of physical work, I'd drink a bunch of water but might share another with my wife for dinner.

But when the years of building a property with highly physical projects ends, a couple years go by and a few pounds go on - and suddenly you're in T2D territory.

The point is, you reach a point in life where it's best to test and be sure where you're at.  In my case we caught it early, and I know when I eat smarter I can manage it.  If I had waited I probably would be in trouble.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
What signs did you notice your body was showing?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Were you getting up at night to urinate ?
Thirsty a lot ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about your genetics.

I hope everything works out for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hope everything works out for you.
View Quote
Good genetics can't overcome a life of poor diet.

Likewise bad genetics can't always be overcome with a great diet.

Common sense does prevail and a better diet will usually lead to a happier, healthier life.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, I've lived pretty well.  I could afford to eat what I wanted.  My sister has said that you could always count on munchies in our pantry.  TastyCake cupcakes.  Chocolate Klondike bars in the freezer.  Sweets everywhere for the taking.

Living like that meant we always had cold bottles of Coca Cola too.  I enjoyed a bottle or sometimes 2 a day if I was working hard.

There's a day though when your body rebels, and I've past that day.  A few pounds overweight, a few too many cupcakes and Coca Colas - and wham - type 2 diabetes is knocking.

So I stop by the local Walgreens and buy a cheap blood glucose tester.  No prescription required.  It confirms my suspicion.  I see the doctor and hand him the meter with 2 weeks of data.  Understand I had knocked off sweets 2 weeks BEFORE I bought the meter.

I've lost 17lbs in the last 30 days, now down to 210.  My glucose readings are sometimes higher than they should be - like 140-160.  But if I eat better it gets below 100 - like 85-95.

Anyway, this thread isn't about me - it's about you.  I bought a cheap Walgreens store brand meter, which the Doc said was actually a good one.

If you feel like you might be flirting with T2D (the beetus), go to the pharmacy and drop something like $40.  My Walgreens model came with 25 test strips - enough for me to confirm my suspicions.

My Doc was pleased that I caught this, am losing weight, and eating the way someone with T2D should.  The numbers show I can manage it.  I didn't have to go get some blood test.  But I actually had one a year ago which alerted me that I was nearing this point.

Finding out early, is better than damaging your body to the point where managing this involves insulin or drastic changes.

So if you're thinking you might be getting to the point I was, listen to your body and go get a meter.  They're cheap.
View Quote

The definitive test for diabetes is an AiC test-how did you do on that?If you didn't do one,ask your Doctor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Age? Or did I miss that....
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What signs did you notice your body was showing?
View Quote
A simple wound on my upper arm that took forever to heal.

Thirst, low energy, some of the typical signs.

General exhaustion.

Then occasional tingling in extremities and feet that felt cold - known as peripheral nueropathy.

I found it I drank a coke, I could make my feet go cold.

It happened pretty quick, and I've shut it down before these things became permanent.  I crossed a line, and fortunately didn't wait.

I've proved that diet and exercise can positively affect blood glucose levels if caught and confronted quickly.  Many people wait until later, and cross a point where managing is a bigger challenge.

The bottom line for me was that I thought I'd need a prescription to purchase a meter - I didn't.  That meter changed my life to pinpointing and confirming my suspicions.  It helps to change your diet, it helps confirm the benefits of being active/exercise.

I'd suggest anyone over 45 buy one and just test.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The definitive test for diabetes is an AiC test-how did you do on that?If you didn't do one,ask your Doctor.
View Quote
My A1C, a year ago was 6.1, which for my age put me within normal but toward the high end.  Not high enough to brand as diabetic but high enough to wonder.

I'm going to buy an A1C tester shortly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Were you getting up at night to urinate ?
Thirsty a lot ?
View Quote
Once (at least), maybe twice at night, yes thirsty but not to extremes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Age? Or did I miss that....
View Quote
Mid 50s.

Diet wise, we lived a life of filet steaks, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc - the steaks weren't bad but everything else turns out to be high in carbs or sugar.  Add some desserts or sweet snacks and there you go.

My grandmother dealt with this, but it skipped a generation then hit mine.

We ate well, but also enjoyed some sweets.  Then physical activity was reduced, some weight gained... and here we are.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Another thing, my blood pressure started to rise a year ago.  After 50-some years I went from perfect bp to going on meds.  My bp is now improving, and now I split that pill in half every day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Sugar is the Debbil!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
you're me.

I'm 48.

peripheral neuropathy, rise in BP, I am probably pre-diabetic.

what brand / model meter if you don't mind me asking, been looking at one on amazon. We're on Keto now and slowly losing weight.

we came off Keto for last couple weeks, feel like crap now.  Need to get back on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sugar is the Debbil!
View Quote
Sugar isn't so bad if you're burning it off and young.  But some aging, weight gain and reduction in activity can certainly highlight a lifestyle which can not be continued.

I'm guilty of enjoying all the things that are bad.  But when you face this you suddenly realize a slice of white bread is bad for you and have to watch carbs, limit sweets to natural like fruit.  It's a change, but the sooner you get numbers from a test meter, the sooner you have that guage to take control.  Wait, and you can go beyond what is reasonably controllable.

If in doubt, just buy a meter. They are cheap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Cautionary tail.
Thanks for posting.
Will bump. (All should bump)
Be well.
ETA. Same place two years ago.
Good now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
you're me.

I'm 48.

peripheral neuropathy, rise in BP, I am probably pre-diabetic.

what brand / model meter if you don't mind me asking, been looking at one on amazon. We're on Keto now and slowly losing weight.

we came off Keto for last couple weeks, feel like crap now.  Need to get back on it.
View Quote
It was Walgreens basic model, called "True Metrix" - anyone will do.  It will cost under $50 and probably come with some test strips.  Like inkjet printers, the meters sell cheap but the media, test strips, are from $20/50 to twice that.

I just want to raise awareness.  You can easily identify and deal with this cheaply.  Educate yourself to what foods are good and bad.  Exercise, get meds from Doc if needed - but confront what aging, diet, and activity can do as it can shift quickly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I work hard on staying away from anything white (was that racist?).

Stay away from soft drinks (especially diet), HFCS, processed meats and carbs.

Not easy when everything has too much of all of it on every asile.

I hate diet beer
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#21]
The symptom I noticed was that I had to pee a lot. I thought it was because of all the oranges I was eating.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm 25, but I used to consume ALOT of soda. 100oz a day wasn't unusual. After feeling like general shit, I simply said no more and stopped drinking it cold turkey. Now, two years later I feel like shit when I drink a soda or consume a bunch of sugar. Funny how that works. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to love a boiled hot dog or two for lunch, they are processed food and really bad.  Add a Coke to that and it's a recipe for T2D.

I've learned a lot in the past month.  Eating smarter to manage this, but frankly the supermarket industry does not help.

Gotta go to bed now.

I'm glad at least one person may buy a meter and take control.

Good night.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#24]
l use a Bayer Contour Next. My sister sent me a Walmart tester when I was first diagnosed. I liked OK but I couldn't get strips for it locally.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm 25, but I used to consume ALOT of soda. 100oz a day wasn't unusual. After feeling like general shit, I simply said no more and stopped drinking it cold turkey. Now, two years later I feel like shit when I drink a soda or consume a bunch of sugar. Funny how that works. 
View Quote
100oz a day god damn.

im 27 and thought i had a problem lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A simple wound on my upper arm that took forever to heal...Thirst, low energy,
View Quote
Those also point to low testosterone.  Have you had your number checked and if so do you know what the number is?  They do not age range the results, so an 18 year old could have the testosterone of an 80 year old, and the lab report will show "Normal, within range" when clearly there is a problem.  General exhausting and muscle injuries that took weeks to heal instead of days is what got the doctor to test mine.  As a 34 year old I had a T level lower than an 80 year old.  

I switched to a mainly a keto lifestyle back in January and dropped about 40 pounds.  I don't have diabetes but my fasting glucose was starting to inch over 100.  I have some type of insulin over reaction though.  Let's say at 2pm I drank a coke, before 3pm I would crash and almost fall asleep and around 4:30 I would start to get the shakes.  My testosterone doctor kept telling me I had insulin resistance which suppressed my T level and that Keto would help both.  It took me 2 years to finally get into Keto after they told me.  Now things are very good for me.  I generally don't get tired, I don't eat sugar so no crash or shakes, I have arthritis in my big toe which had me hobbling around 3 years ago and now I walk fine, and most importantly my migraines have been reduced.  

Back when things were going crazy and trying to get started on keto I did buy a glucose meter that was also a ketone meter.  It is very important to check your levels when you feel good and when you are feeling off.

Growing up we only had soda if we went out to eat, which was rare, or for sporting events and picnics.  Now my mother keeps them in the house and drinks them often.  She was told she now has Type 2 diabetes.  We were a farm family so bread, meat, potatoes, most meals.  Add the age and sodas and it is very clear to see what is fueling the problem.  Sadly I don't see her changing her habits.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Glucose is almost as poisonous as alcohol.

Yes, it's tasty, and yes, it makes you feel good for a couple hours, but the short term effects aren't great, and the long term effects are devastating.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:23:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My A1C, a year ago was 6.1, which for my age put me within normal but toward the high end.  Not high enough to brand as diabetic but high enough to wonder.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know AC1 testers were available.  I'm gonna look into that.  I was at 9.5 when first diagnosed. Was 6.4 the last trip to the doc.  No meds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Am i in before the ketards?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I thought about getting a glucometer to see how much protein would cause gluconeogenesis when I was in keto. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

100oz a day god damn.

View Quote
Not hard to do if you get a fountain drink or a few refills at a restaurant.  

I think most soda drinkers would be shocked if they actually realized exactly how much sugar they are consuming daily.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I had a seriously overweight high school buddy who developed Diabetes Type 2 at a young age and eventually had a foot amputated.  

Glad to hear you're taking your health seriously.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Glucose is almost as poisonous as alcohol.

Yes, it's tasty, and yes, it makes you feel good for a couple hours, but the short term effects aren't great, and the long term effects are devastating.
View Quote
I couldn't find the better article I read on FB several months ago, but this one gets the point across.  Gut bacteria could be a big contributor to sugar addiction.  

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2016/08/29/craving-something-sugary-your-gut-bacteria-could-be-blame
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for posting this.

Was there a certain time or activity for the tingling in your extremities?

If I wake from sleep and stand for more than a minute or so my feet tingle to the point of loosing all sense of touch.  Extends to about the knees.  Always thought it was as from spine issues.

And thirsty a lot.  

If I don't stay active and work hard I feel terrible.

Gonna get a Walgreen's meter tomorrow or the next day.  Don't want to worry more kids so gotta sneak it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I get my blood work done every November to get back my  $500 from HSA. I like sweets but I don't keep them in the house so not very tempted. I eat very Keto like but a little soda in my Brandy or a slice of pie now and then. I work out, bike and walk a lot at work. So far, so good. My weight has been pretty much the same for 20 yrs. I have a max limit I never go over which is only 5lbs more than my average. If you eat less for a while and fast occasionally, you won't desire to eat so much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Taco salads are your friend. Wife had the beetus while she was pregnant. Basically you go on a watered-down Atkins/Keto diet and keep tabs on your sugar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Name is strangely relevant.  Good on you for catching it, and doing something to manage it!  I love my junk food too much.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
What If I drank 1-5 sodas a day for over 35 yrs? What if I told you during a 12 mile roadmarch I would drink sodas along the way?

I am 178lbs 6' 2" and 48 yrs old.

I am shocked I don't have it, my mother has it, but she got it in her 60s from sitting on her butt and getting overweight.

Other than her, nobody in our family has ever had diabetes, guess I might go get a test to be sure.

My last Doc visit he told me other than my past injuries/current conditions the only other bad thing was my Vitamin D was low.

Not bragging, thing is I will have dementia like my father at 76, I would ask him if his brothers had it, but they all committed suicide in their
30s-early 40s.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:22:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
100oz a day god damn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
100oz a day god damn.

LOL I still drink 2-5 sodas a day, never gain a pound.

Joined the Army in 91 at 155lbs, today 178lbs, might just fall over dead one day, until then I will enjoy my soda bliss
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:48:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I've always felt blessed in not having a sweet tooth. Not only do I not crave sweet foods, I don't really care for them, as a rule. 

It's like a drug with a lot of folks (you included as a guess), and I've always felt fortunate that it's never something that I've had to struggle with.

Just keep the pizza, lasagna, tacos, burritos and booze away from me. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#41]
it is one hour and 30 minutes long, but it is worth a watch:

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:39:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't know, I can buy a lot of chocolate with $40.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Am i in before the ketards?
View Quote
I don't know yet.

I've been experimenting with keto dieting for about two weeks, and the results so far have been pretty awesome (I'm down 9 pounds already and feeling good).

I don't think I'll be one of those guys that wants to stay in ketosis the rest of my life, but I intend to ride this ride until I get my weight back into a normal range, and it looks like that will happen this year.

On the other hand, I don't think I can ever go back to eating shitloads of carbs every day knowing what I know now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Your are very smart, way to catch it before it becomes a big problem. What will be your next vise?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#45]
It sounds like you are already onboard with a healthy diet. Which is like 80% of the battle. I highly recommend reading The Obesity Code. It has reshaped my understanding of diet, obesity, diabetes and the role of insulin in our bodies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least you were able to recognize it, start working out and change your diet so that you are consistently eating well, ideally get sweets and soda out of your life for good.

I grew up much the same way..Klondikes in the freezer, various cakes and other treats in the pantry as well as carb laden snacks like chips and pretzels.  My parents meant well and probably just didn't know any better but the result was me taking those eating habits into adulthood and ending up a fatty later in life, eventually getting to the point where I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic.  

I've since turned all that around and am no longer a fatty, but it takes hard work, dedication and quite a bit of sacrifice.  Socially, I've found that I have had to exclude some people from my life to a certain extent just because they are such a bad influence when it comes to eating.  These are the "oh one won't hurt, and you go to the gym anyway so you can work it off" crowd.  To those of us who come from a background of being a foodie, or heavy drinker, one typically does hurt, and the goal of my gym visits aren't with the intention of working off the crap people talked me into eating, but to make forward progress.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Get well-
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#48]
so what you're saying is don't be fat with shitty eating habits...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#49]
hang in there dude.
nothing wrong with enjoying the sweets. Just keep it to a minimum and savor/enjoy what you do eat.

I'm glad I got on a health kick in my late 20's and haven't stopped into my 30's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Ketard in. Good job OP. I don't know if I was pre-diabetic or full blown T2 but I used to drink lots of soda and ate a candy bar a day and would crash pretty hard. I never had my blood tested for it until after I was ~6 months into keto. My A1C was 5.4 when I did get it tested though so I'm awesome. My fasting glucose was 64 at the time. I checked it with my mother's glucose meter over this past weekend during a 24 hour fast and it was 94, but I'm not sure I trust her meter. I'm reading that 90s is normal for fasting. I'm going to have another A1C done in another month or so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top