Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#1]
My soda intake has been cut back to one Kickstart a day, but I think you've just ended that too, OP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I gave up sweets in my teens. I started drinking coffee at about 14 and either drank it black or with some cream. No soda, candy for the most part, etc...I just don't have a taste for it.  That habit has served me well and helps to counter my bad ones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I never have been a fan of sweets.  I drink pop about 10 times a year.  I'll eat dessert less than that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Were you getting up at night to urinate ?
Thirsty a lot ?
View Quote
That was my clue.  I was drinking a minimum of a quart of water a night, and peeing 4-5 times.  I was SOOOOO thirsty at night.

Now that my Dt2 is under control (diet and Metformin) I never drink water at night (maybe a glass no and then) and never need to pee at night.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread confirms the demographic attracted to those hedonist resorts.

Rest assured that there will still be a couple of guys poolside like this however...

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
All the talk about peripheral neuropathy is misguided.  If you get to the point of having PN, you've been diabetic for a while, and nerves have been damaged.

The tingling in the feet and hands in the early stages is simply due to circulatory issues.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Good for you OP getting it under control.

My wife has had to do the same thing..........too many sweets during her life..........but she is doing what she has to to correct this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
eating sugar doesnt give one diabetes...

being fat seems to correlate to having it..

aging seems to correlate to having it

overall bad life choices seems to correlate to having it.

but just cause you eat sugar, doesn't correlate to having it..

actually, if recent health changes having diabetes under control may well cause one to crave sugars...

I've dropped 50lbs since Christmas last on this new drug regime, dropped A1c1 from 7.6 to 5.6 in 90 days..
been a diabetic officially since I was 18 and have been on  a roller coaster since I hit 50...now seeing 70 on the horizon
and still have all my appendages and no heart attacks yet!

so, eat that cake, drink a coke. live your life, but, moderation is good, remember the green veggies along with that steak and iceberg doesn't count..exercise daily in a routine that works for you even if you work the high steel for a living.  but Live your Life..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All the talk about peripheral neuropathy is misguided.  If you get to the point of having PN, you've been diabetic for a while, and nerves have been damaged.

The tingling in the feet and hands in the early stages is simply due to circulatory issues.
View Quote
At my heaviest and when I was told I wax pre diabetic I didn't have tingling but did have  constant itching on the arches of my feet.  Same thing?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:42:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

wait till you can't feel your legs below the knees and you drop shit a lot cause you can't feel it in your hands...

and the pain wakes you at night,,and you know the storms are coming before the news man does and you walk the floors at midnight
cause when you lay down the jerking, buzzing, burning in your feet and legs is more than you can bear when trying to sleep..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Test strips at the pharmacy are a robbery. Get them from Amazon. MUCH cheaper
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I should also add that it isn't sweets that's the problem. It's ALL carbs no matter what the source is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:48:01 AM EDT
[#13]
My doc says if you have a belly you will have diabetes, sooner or later.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

so, eat that cake, drink a coke. live your life, but, moderation is good, remember the green veggies along with that steak and iceberg doesn't count..exercise daily in a routine that works for you even if you work the high steel for a living.  but Live your Life..
View Quote
I've grown to disagree with that thinking and equate it to telling an alcoholic in recovery it's ok to ha e a drink once in awhile.  

I've noticed that after excluding processed carbs and sweet snacks fir long periods of time from my diet, breaking down and having a cookie or cake seems to trigger cravings for more.

I honestly don't miss that crap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the diet book "Sugar Busters" . It deals with how to control your insulin production. Easy diet to follow
with out going into the extremes. My problem is I can drink too much beer. I need to go back to red wine and limit myself.
I am at 150# but need to get back to 140#.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Cut the carbs
Eat meat
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Wouldn't signs have been discovered if you had been getting a yearly physical with blood work? IE:Blood sugar levels?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've known quite a few now who lived most of their lives with a belly and eventually died of something in old age.  Not a single one had diabetes at any time.

I think your doctor is FOS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
eating sugar doesnt give one diabetes...

being fat seems to correlate to having it..

aging seems to correlate to having it

overall bad life choices seems to correlate to having it.

but just cause you eat sugar, doesn't correlate to having it..

actually, if recent health changes having diabetes under control may well cause one to crave sugars...

I've dropped 50lbs since Christmas last on this new drug regime, dropped A1c1 from 7.6 to 5.6 in 90 days..
been a diabetic officially since I was 18 and have been on  a roller coaster since I hit 50...now seeing 70 on the horizon
and still have all my appendages and no heart attacks yet!

View Quote
I work with a guy who is pre-diabetic and is not fat in any sense of the word, except maybe in his ego. He's in his 30s. He drank tons of soda and ate lots of shit masquerading as food. I'm 100% positive it's what made him pre-diabetic. I also know fat people who are not diabetic. Sugar and carbs may not cause all people to become diabetic but the main cause is indeed sugar and carbs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wouldn't signs have been discovered if you had been getting a yearly physical with blood work? IE:Blood sugar levels?
View Quote
you could have a physical with flying colors today and pass out from diabetic shock next week..
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Check into the keto diet thread on this board.  I have been eating a "diabetic" diet for 14 months now, even though I had no symptoms of DM.  I have never felt better, nor had more energy.

Even though you think you have reduced sugar, if you're still eating a lot of carbs, your body is getting material it turns into glucose right away.

Check out keto.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another thing, my blood pressure started to rise a year ago.  After 50-some years I went from perfect bp to going on meds.  My bp is now improving, and now I split that pill in half every day.
View Quote
At 50 everything starts to go to shit, it's a given unless your in  the best of shape, I have everything you have and more, inc high cholesterol, my wife is on insulin shots.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
63 here and no diabetes..................yet........................

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No need for the tests; a telltale sign of being on track for the beetus is drinking a bottle or two of soda a day.
View Quote
Yup.

Water only.

You can turn the tides before it's too late
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#25]
This is what would happen if you drank one coke a day everyday (and your activity level remained the same):

There 55 miligrams of salt/sodium per can of coke.

Caffeine is a diuretic.

It makes you pee.

so combine the salt content with it making you pee a lot...what does it do?

it makes you THIRSTIER!

The sweet taste is there to cover up the salt content.

l
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm 53.

I was diagnosed with T2D about a month ago.  No traditional symptoms prior to that (thirst, etc.).  However, I had been in the grey area with my A1C numbers for several years now.  I have had high BP and cholesterol for several years and take meds for both (poor family genetics).  My father had T2D (found this out AFTER he died last March, as he told no one   ) and my younger brother has been a T2D for a few years now and is on Metformin, so I knew it was coming.  I was about 20lbs overweight myself due to an office worker/inactivity.

I told my doctor that I didn't want to go on yet another medication if possible.  She told me - diet and exercise.
Luckily for me (I guess), I had started a low carb diet prior to the results coming in, so the diet changes that they said I needed to make were already pretty much in place.  I've already dropped 10lbs just from the diet changes alone.  Now to get into a more regular exercise regime.  That's the true challenge for me.

Someone once told me, "Getting old is only for the brave".  Maybe.  More likely it's only for the smart and/or lucky ones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Believe it or not that "cheap" $40 glucose tester is probably the same exact one about 99% of ambulances use. Where they really make bank is selling the test strips. I asked a Dr about it and got the explanation that within somewhat normal ranges the cheap testers are pretty accurate. It's when you get very low or high that they can give inaccurate readings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't you guys do your yearly physical?  I do, complete with labs that measure my blood sugar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#29]
You have a hunger hormone calles "ghrelin".

when you eat or drink something with fructose (as in high fructose corn syrup), that ghrelin gets suppressed and you still are hungry so you eat more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#30]
worst.................hedonist......................ever
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I had 0 symptoms, other than being fat.  No water craving, no getting up at night.

6'3" 319.

Benched 315-Squatted 455-Deadlifted 505

That was my excuse.

One day I got out of breath putting on a pair of logging boots,  so I went to the doc at 52 for the first time in 30 years.

A1C was up to 12 from the previous years labs of 6. (I get labs every year just not to Dr.)

Started walking.

Have lost 50lbs. 50 more to go.

A1C is 6.4 now on small dose of metformin.

Hit a plateau in the last few months weight wise.

In that time my waist size has dropped 2" though.

Getting old and paying for the sins of youth sucks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
so what you're saying is don't be fat with shitty eating habits...
View Quote
I was 12% body fat when I developed type 2. Went keto and low lectin and no more type 2 or back pain or brain fog.
Weight matters but a bad diet will kill you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I am re-watching that video I posted on the first page.

So my posts here are kinda hitting the key points.

The Florida Gators invented a sports drink in 1967.

Hence the name "Gatorade"...gator - ade, get it?

I am here to tell you that it really tasted like shit....in the 1980's.

Then in 1992, the Pepsi Company bought Gatorade.  To make it marketable, Pepsi added HFCS to it to make it palatable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#34]
i haven't drank a sweet coke in years and I like sweets but ice cream is about the only one I eat regularly. My weakness is red meat and it got me borderline on cholesterol so about 18 months ago I cut back on everything fat and Ive lost 40lbs now down to 180. Hopefully my cholesterol is down too I haven't had it checked in awhile.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for posting OP.  Good advice to get a meter.

T2D here.  Found out last Nov.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sugar isn't so bad if you're burning it off and young.  But some aging, weight gain and reduction in activity can certainly highlight a lifestyle which can not be continued.

I'm guilty of enjoying all the things that are bad.  But when you face this you suddenly realize a slice of white bread is bad for you and have to watch carbs, limit sweets to natural like fruit.  It's a change, but the sooner you get numbers from a test meter, the sooner you have that guage to take control.  Wait, and you can go beyond what is reasonably controllable.

If in doubt, just buy a meter. They are cheap.
View Quote
Yeah, we've done the same thing.  Trying to eat better, exercise more, etc.  

I've dropped 10lbs in the last month, and I'm starting to have dreams about eating doughnuts.......this morning it was a huge cinnamon roll.  Instead of doughnuts (which I'd have on occasion.....not regularly), I'm having a protein shake with bananas and blueberries.

Yum.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#37]
That's unfortunate, man. Glad you caught it and are squaring it away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't know yet.

I've been experimenting with keto dieting for about two weeks, and the results so far have been pretty awesome (I'm down 9 pounds already and feeling good).

I don't think I'll be one of those guys that wants to stay in ketosis the rest of my life, but I intend to ride this ride until I get my weight back into a normal range, and it looks like that will happen this year.

On the other hand, I don't think I can ever go back to eating shitloads of carbs every day knowing what I know now.
View Quote
Isn't this why chili doesn't have beans in it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What If I drank 1-5 sodas a day for over 35 yrs? What if I told you during a 12 mile roadmarch I would drink sodas along the way?

I am 178lbs 6' 2" and 48 yrs old.
View Quote
Same here, I drink 1-4 cans a day. I'm 6'1 and 165. I also eat hohos, cover my oatmeal in brown sugar, eat all kinds of junk food. As long as I stay active, I can eat just about anything. Active I mean lift 4+ days a week and play basketball 3-5 times per week.

I've noticed no ill effects from adding or subtracting sugary things. But there is one big caveat- as long as I eat enough baked beans and or oatmeal (like 4 servings a day). The reason being those two things produce butyrate (via Akkermansia muciniphila IIRC) , the short chain fatty acid that the intestinal walls use as an energy substrate. If I stop beans/oatmeal, my health goes downhill rather quickly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#40]
...when did you start taking statins to lower your cholesterol?

...a year ago?

...less?

Just guessing. That's when most of my friends got the sugardiabetes. (all one word)
Statins are the debil. They fuqq with your liver.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread is relevant to my interests...

The vast majority of my diet is carbs and sugar (and meat).  I'm not very active (3rd shift office job), no energy/motivation, and I work for Coca-Cola...soooo, I'll let you guess what I drink while working

I'm 30, a little overweight...290# or so (6'5" though). And have been since high school, not counting a 2-3 year stretch of depression where I dropped to 230# around age 18-20.

I should completely change my diet and lifestyle...but the problem is, I just don't care what happens to me. I've never even been to a Dr. for a simple checkup or physical....
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Newsflash: The reason you developed diabetes is not because you ate sweets.

Yes, we should all limit sweets.  But they are not what CAUSES diabetes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't think diabetes is as much a matter of how you live as it is heredity. But if you have a family history, you do need to be more cautious.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#44]
We have had at least 4 or 5 fitness/weight loss threads here in GD within the past two weeks.

That Dr. Robert Lustwig video (that I linked to on the first page) finishes with this summary:

If you pay close attention to that second bullet point:  A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE.

See that?

That is an M.D. who specializes in teenage obesity saying that.

In everyone of those related threads these past two weeks, invariably half the posters will go full herp derp with "OMG! JUST EAT LESS AND WORK OUT MORE!"

So, if you see me chime in on those threads, I am the guy who always points out that a pound of fat is 3,500 calories and that if you were in a 500 calorie deficit per day, at the end of a week you would shed a pound of fat....in  theory.

I always...always...put that caveat "in theory" on those posts because I always figured all calories are not the same.

It is not simple thermodynamics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#45]
We have had at least 4 or 5 fitness/weight loss threads here in GD within the past two weeks.

That Dr. Robert Lustwig video (that I linked to on the first page) finishes with this summary:

If you pay close attention to that second bullet point:  A CALORIE IS NOT A CALORIE.

See that?

That is an M.D. who specializes in teenage obesity saying that.

In everyone of those related threads these past two weeks, invariably half the posters will go full herp derp with "OMG! JUST EAT LESS AND WORK OUT MORE!"

So, if you see me chime in on those threads, I am the guy who always points out that a pound of fat is 3,500 calories and that if you were in a 500 calorie deficit per day, at the end of a week you would shed a pound of fat....in  theory.

I always...always...put that caveat "in theory" on those posts because I always figured all calories are not the same.

It is not simple thermodynamics.

One last point that I would like to pass on that the Dr. brought up:  HFCS screws with your leptin hormone.  That is your satiety hormone.  It tells your brain "Yep, I am full.  Stop eating."  When you drink a soda with your meals, your brain doesn't receive that leptin signal, so you are still hungry and you keep eating.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#46]
OP thank you for this post. I ate like that too but I wound up with a different problem, I had a heart attack. It was cholesterol that built up in my arteries. I recommend everyone over 40 to go see a doctor and get your blood work done. I was not fat by any means and I thought my diet was good. I ate my vegetables but I also ate all the bad things too frequently. I was 47 years old, 5"07" tall and about 165 lbs. Wound up with 5 stents and on medication. Go get your blood work done guys and do some sweating, I mean work out (cardio) walk, run, bike, anything that makes you sweat. I was the youngest person in rehab and it was an eye opener.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I always love these Type 2 purse swinging shitshows these posts always turn into..

Suck my closed loop pump, bitches!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#48]
No need to drop $40.

Phone up a meter manufacturer and tell them you think you may have a problem, and you have read good things about their meters, so you would like to try one.

My guess is they will send you one with a few test strips.

It is like the old Polaroid game .......... practically give the camera away, but charge lots for the film. They want you to buy their test strips forever.

Also, stop being fat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#49]
As I mentioned, I had blood work done a year ago.

It was a hassle, and only provided a snapshot.

The results showed me at the upper range for A1C and blood sugar.

6 months ago I felt that I had some negative changes.

I bought a meter which provided ongoing feedback.

It was cheap, came with 25 test strips - enough to confirm suspicious.

Saw Doc and handed him the meter.  Getting proper care and making lifestyle adjustments.

Don't wait too long if you have concerns, spend the $40 and get the immediate feedback.

The simple fact is most of the food most of us like to eat is difficult to digest.  Pastas, bread, pizza, hot dogs - are really bad for you.  Gain a few pounds and it becomes exponentially bad for you.

The alternative requires knowledge - the supermarket has things like boxed breakfast cereal, but 95% of it is bad, if not 100%.  You have to start eating eggs, stop drinking OJ.  Drink twice the water or more - even if you don't feel like it - just drink it.  When blood glucose levels stabilize through management perhaps you can drink some OJ again.  But how do you know without feedback?

Get a meter, they're cheap.  Eventually you might need it anyway.  Most of what we eat is bad, even if you don't have a sweet tooth.

Exercise more, buy a treadmill (we already have one).  You can see the correlation between exercise and blood glucose levels.  Excercise will help kick in better digestion, the changing bg numbers don't lie.

Aging happens.  Get ahead of the curve. The chickens eventually come home to roost.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No need to drop $40.

Phone up a meter manufacturer and tell them you think you may have a problem, and you have read good things about their meters, so you would like to try one.

My guess is they will send you one with a few test strips.

It is like the old Polaroid game .......... practically give the camera away, but charge lots for the film. They want you to buy their test strips forever.

Also, stop being fat.
View Quote
Free meters require a prescription, at least AccuChek does.  You go to their website, fill out some basic information then print out a form to give to the pharmacy of your choice - but it does say to include a prescription for the pharmacy to get reimbursement .
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top