Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/22/2017 9:19:08 PM EDT
Who owns one? Regrets? Issues? Bout to spring for a 2017 crew cab. Should I?

Also, no I don't want a Ford. Yes I looked.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Just don't get it with the ugly painted bumpers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
What's up with the waxed frame, I'm thinking about them too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 15, my only regret is I got a double cab instead of a crew
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an 07' z71 that has 136k. Currently in the shop for a new engine, after having the top end rebuilt last year. Got a new tranny at 120k. Have had a 14' F150 and wife has a 16' Dodge Ram. Before that, she had a 07' Ram that was traded in at 175k. This will be the last Chevy I own. One before it was an 06' Colorado, had many regrets with that one as well.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Believe it or not, I can get a better deal with more interior goodies if i go with a 4x4 vs the Z71 package. The 4x4 doesn't have the painted bumpers. Chrome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm turned off by the GM Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation).  Dealbreaker for me.  I own two GM trucks, neither has an AFM engine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#7]
They good to go. I have a 08, 15, 16 and 18. Well kinda have an 18. It's sitting up there waiting on a train ride to SC. They built it in 1 day and it's been sitting for 21 days.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned 3; 2007, 2012, 2014 ( current truck).

I've been happy; pretty trouble-free, nice drivers.

I rode in a 17 when they came out. It was a Z71, and very nice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm turned off by the GM Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation).  Dealbreaker for me.  I own two GM trucks, neither has an AFM engine.
View Quote
That AFM is what killed mine both times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
My dad has a 15. GM family forever, but mylink/cue or whatever they call their infotainment system is terrible enough I'd get a Ford over it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I asked the salesman if it had the cylinder displacement and he said it did not. Wtf . So they go drop cylinders depending on demand?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I've kind of started looking at the Chevys too.  I like that they seem a little more compact than the Fords.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I purchased a 16 crew cab last year. Overall it has been a good truck. The ground clearance sucks though. It has about 8" of real world clearance. My tundra I had previously was about 12.5" .  I have had a hard time adjusting to the loss. A lift kit is definitely in the future. Also the transmission has full retard programming. It is overly setup to attempt to get better gas mileage at the expense of throttle response. A programmer and different tune will probably be in the future for me also. The awd/4wd works really well. Gas mileage is way better than the tundra I had. Ride quality is pretty good for a truck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I asked the salesman if it had the cylinder displacement and he said it did not. Wtf . So they go drop cylinders depending on demand?
View Quote

Unless you are getting a 6 litre gasser 3/4 ton he lied to you.

Or are you looking at a V-6 ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It was a 5.3 V8

And I did think I felt it quiver one time like it was doing something silly. That's when i asked him
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Had 2 up until recently. One was a 15' Z71 Crew that I traded in at 65k miles. Bought it new June of 15. The other one that I still have is a 15 Crew 1500 2wd, other than Z71 package optioned identically to the other, and it has 80k miles as of today. Bought it new in November of 15. GM makes a reliable powertrain, and drivetrain. They do make an electrical nightmare though. AC went out on the one I still have at 62k miles. Right out of warranty. I wouldn't have had the work done under warranty regardless though. It's a 2-3 month backlog on the parts through warranty, and I need this truck now. I had it in and out of the local AC shop in 4 hours and at a tune of $380. The owner of my company and our field coordinator both have identical trucks to the one I just traded. One was at 74k miles and the other was at 35k miles, and both had the exact same issue.

I've had 4 Chevy Crew 2500 4x4s since 2012, and all have been extremely reliable beside for little shitty electrical gremlins. Power locks, window regulators, 12v power, etc. I've put roughly 450-500 miles on those trucks of solid abuse. I only miled one out at 200k. The rest I got out of within 75-150 miles due to relocation, job change, etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That AFM is what killed mine both times.
View Quote
Is there a bad year range, or is AFM still the ultimate killer of these engines. One day I will have to replace my beater '00.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who owns one? Regrets? Issues? Bout to spring for a 2017 crew cab. Should I?

Also, no I don't want a Ford. Yes I looked.
View Quote

Just curious, why not the Ford? What didn't you like?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No. It was a 5.3 V8

And I did think I felt it quiver one time like it was doing something silly. That's when i asked him
View Quote

Cylinder shut downs are seemless in the DI 5.3's.
You will not know they are getting shut down unless you have the icon showing in the DIC.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just curious, why not the Ford? What didn't you like?
View Quote
To me, they look old man. It don't help that they seem to be 8k more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No. It was a 5.3 V8

View Quote
I cross shopped them with my F150 in 2015. Allllllll the V8 1500s had AFM that turned down to 4 cyl. Wasn't an option and you couldn't turn it off.

Unless something has changed, which I don't believe to be true, hens either misinformed or lying to you.

My bet is lying.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Is there a bad year range, or is AFM still the ultimate killer of these engines. One day I will have to replace my beater '00.
View Quote

2007-2010 seemed to be the problem years.
Dirty oil is what causes most of the issues.

They were warrantied up to 100,000 miles and most were fixed under warranty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You will not know they are getting shut down unless you have the icon showing in the DIC.
View Quote
Never noticed any icons switching on or off. They are usually noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I cross shopped them with my F150 in 2015. Allllllll the V8 1500s had AFM that turned down to 4 cyl. Wasn't an option and you couldn't turn it off.

Unless something has changed, which I don't believe to be true, hens either misinformed or lying to you.

My bet is lying.
View Quote

Guarantee he was lying his face off.
I would have fired him for pulling that shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Never noticed any icons switching on or off. They are usually noticeable.
View Quote

You can select whether the icon is showing or not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Had a 2012 LTZ 5.3 4x4  Love the sound of the LS! The interior, given the sticker price, was absolute shit.  Seems to be a common theme in GMs.  Truck ran great, just wanted something sportier and didn't care for the value received.

ETA you can turn off the AFM by using tow/haul mode or better yet by getting a tune.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#27]
last ford my dad had was in 1990 and he's hated them ever since

i bought a '17 power stroke and he promptly followed me, dumping his high country 6.2 for a lariat powerstroke

in chevy's defense, most of his reasoning was that he didn't want a bitch half ton anymore

however, since the switch he's said that ford has gm whipped on everything in-cab
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 2015 z71 with the 5.3. 30,000 miles on it. It's been great. Getting 22 to 23 mpg on highway
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I love my '16....except the waxed frame.  I will never buy a truck with a waxed frame ever again.  If you do any amount of off-roading, it's a bitch to maintain.  No big deal for the guys who trade up every 2-5 years but I drive mine until they die.

That being said, I'd make the same purchase over again compared to the other offerings currently.

Can't wait to see the new generation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Had a 2012 LTZ 5.3 4x4  Love the sound of the LS! The interior, given the sticker price, was absolute shit.  Seems to be a common theme in GMs.  Truck ran great, just wanted something sportier and didn't care for the value received.

ETA you can turn off the AFM by using tow/haul mode or better yet by getting a tune.
View Quote
I'm sure they would love finding that tune that took out the AFM. Especially under a warranty claim.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm sure they would love finding that tune that took out the AFM. Especially under a warranty claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people buy a tuner and have a custom tune done.  The tuner holds the stock tune, so you put it back to stock if you take it to the dealer.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Chrome sucks.  Let me guess, you also like two-tone paint jobs, pin striping, and caps on the bed?  It's 2017...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a '15 Double Cab. Sometimes i wonder if I should have went with the Crew Cab?  But I do like the full size bed.

I really like the "Auto" 4 wheel drive. When driving in the snowy Ohio winters, it really comes in handy. I don't have to worry about whether I should be in 4x4 or not, it's just automatic. I've not had any issues with my truck to this point in time. Very solid thus far.

I had an '08 prior to this one. Good trucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It was a 5.3 V8

Bullshit, I can completely tell when it's running on 4, both from sound and vibration.  You aren't very in tune with your vehicle, if you can't tell the difference.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a '15 Double Cab. Sometimes i wonder if I should have went with the Crew Cab?  But I do like the full size bed.

I really like the "Auto" 4 wheel drive. When driving in the snowy Ohio winters, it really comes in handy. I don't have to worry about whether I should be in 4x4 or not, it's just automatic. I've not had any issues with my truck to this point in time. Very solid thus far.

I had an '08 prior to this one. Good trucks.
View Quote
I was wondering how they did in the snow. Pretty good I guess?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Chrome sucks.  Let me guess, you also like two-tone paint jobs, pin striping, and caps on the bed?  It's 2017...
View Quote
Hey you, that's the critical element of an old man beater...

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
know what painted bumpers do?

chip and then look like shit
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love my '16....except the waxed frame.  I will never buy a truck with a waxed frame ever again.  If you do any amount of off-roading, it's a bitch to maintain.  No big deal for the guys who trade up every 2-5 years but I drive mine until they die.

That being said, I'd make the same purchase over again compared to the other offerings currently.

Can't wait to see the new generation.
View Quote
Yep, that waxed frame blows.  That, along with cylinder deactivation, are total dealbreakers for me.  I won't own another Chevy until they start painting frames and eliminating AFM.  Their newest body style sucks, too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a 15 crew cab. Love it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a 16 Silverado Z71 LTZ package in October of last year.  It's almost hedonistically outfitted with accessories.

The ONLY thing I dislike over the first year of ownership and 11,000 miles is the 8 speed transmission.  The 8 speeds is flawless when I'm pulling a loaded trailer, but it's a PITA otherwise.

It has clunky downshifts, slips/shimmies when upshifting, and is always shifting into a higher gear which makes the engine feel boggy.

Now if you put your foot into it the rear tires will break loose effortlessly.

I bought a tuner and altered the shifts which improved it some.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

know what painted bumpers do?

chip and then look like shit
View Quote
Old chrome looks like shit, too (even worse than it did new).  It's a truck, not a '57 Chevy.  Ditch the chrome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I was wondering how they did in the snow. Pretty good I guess?
View Quote
Yes. I have regular factory 20" road tires on mine still. That "auto" 4x4 (which of course one can switch to both 2hi & 2lo electricly) is very nice. Let's face it, you're not always in the snow when driving on the freeway or back roads. Automatically switches to 4x4 when it feels any tire slippage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:07:15 PM EDT
[#43]
The AFM cylinder deactivation is very noticeable. The tow/haul mode does not disable the afm. I put the range afm plugin device on mine. It runs on all 8 cylinders  all the time now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#44]
All current GM  6 and 8s have it. You barely notice it. In the truck at least if you put it in manual mode and set it to top out in 5th gear it will never go into 4-cylinder mode. So around town leave it in 5th, then drop it to 6th when you hit the highway. AFM really helps with your fuel economy on the highway I've made trips where I've averaged 27 miles per gallon in a full size crew cab pickup
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes. I have regular factory 20" road tires on mine still. That "auto" 4x4 (which of course one can switch to both 2hi & 2lo electricly) is very nice. Let's face it, you're not always in the snow when driving on the freeway or back roads. Automatically switches to 4x4 when it feels any tire slippage.
View Quote
The Autotrac case is probably the best thing about Chevy.  Durable and it works excellent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
last ford my dad had was in 1990 and he's hated them ever since

i bought a '17 power stroke and he promptly followed me, dumping his high country 6.2 for a lariat powerstroke

in chevy's defense, most of his reasoning was that he didn't want a bitch half ton anymore

however, since the switch he's said that ford has gm whipped on everything in-cab
View Quote
We've got near identical trucks, and I came from a 15' Chevy and still have another 15' Chevy. My dad has a 14' Tundra. One drive and he's now considering an F-250 for the replacement that's due this year. My current Chevy 1500 will be due for replacement in about 18-20 months. I'll be shopping for an F-150 at that time, and keeping the 17 350 in the garage still.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
All current GM  6 and 8s have it. You barely notice it. In the truck at least if you put it in manual mode and set it to top out in 5th gear it will never go into 4-cylinder mode. So around town leave it in 5th, then drop it to 6th when you hit the highway. AFM really helps with your fuel economy on the highway I've made trips where I've averaged 27 miles per gallon in a full size crew cab pickup
View Quote
Speak for yourself.  Maybe you barely notice it, but many people do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love the look of the painted bumpers (i have the paint matched bumpers on mine) but they aren't durable whatsoever!  Mine is rock chipped to shit, so if you don't put a paint protection film on it the day you drive off the lot, be prepared...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I also like the "hill assest" feature. It keeps your truck from rolling back when you're at a stop on a somewhat steep hill. Automatically locks the brakes until you hit the gas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Range makes an AFM eliminater that plugs into the OBDC port. Take it out at the dealer  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top