Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2017 8:30:12 PM EDT
I got in an auto accident over the weekend. I was on an Interstate entering a construction zone. I was in the right lane and the left lane was closing. Another vehicle tried to pass me at the bottleneck and as soon as i saw him he ran out of road and hit me.

He was also trying to pick and choose what damage his vehicle did.
He said "Look this is all it did." while pointing to the fender.
I pointed to my rim and said "what about that".
He said " Oh I didn't do that"

The other driver admits fault but wants to keep it off insurance.  We exchanged insurance info anyway. He also eventually admitted to damaging the rim but was adamant about not reporting this to insurance. I have an out of state plate and am about 150 miles from home. I let him know that I have to be back home Tuesday morning, but i'll get an estimate first thing on Monday and let him know. I got the estimate Monday morning, texted him, and ....crickets. Since i did not hear back from him, I filed a claim Monday night. Now that my insurance co. has known about this for a full business day, i'm sure they have tried to reach out to him and/or his insurance co. I got a voicemail from the other driver a few minutes ago, and now he wants me to call him to work it out.

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck that, burn him...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
File against his insurance at least that way you know you will get paid for the repair.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
he had his chance...  Insurance time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
File with your insurance, that's what you pay them for. They go after him/his insurance.

His fault, his obligation, that's why he pays for insurance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Well thats what he pays his insurance for so... Make him use it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You're not the asshole, but right now it sounds like you have a 50/50 chance of being a dummy.  No call.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet ge wants to keep it off his insurance because he has had several accidents and they are threating to cancel his policy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
And the legendary FPNI is 100% on the mark once again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
What proof do you have that he did it besides you two talking?

No police report? You might be without a paddle anyways.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
He's at fault. You fucked up, shoulda called the cops and got a report. Best of luck, they'll try to settle 50/50 with you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]
That's what insurance is for. Let them deal with the headache. Don't talk to him anymore.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#12]
file the insurance claim
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#13]
No police report?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Go through insurance... screw dealing with him
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Burn him, and you're an idiot for not calling and getting report
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Why did you not call police?  You couldn't have done this more wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#17]
No back door deals.  Insurance handles this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Do NOT file with your carrier unless you have to. Call his carrier and file a claim. Your carrier doesn't need to know if you aren't at fault. FWIW I work in insurance claims.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
go get a police report... you're headed that way anyways, this dude isn't going to pay you what you think its worth.. you might as well turn it over to insurance
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck him, head to  the ER with your neck injury.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
F*ck him. He had his chance and blew it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Police report now
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
You don't have any police report.
Do you have texts or voicemails in which he accepts responsibility and/or offers to pay for repairs? At best, it seems like you have his phone number which at least suggests you've met one another.

All you have is an estimate written days after the accident and over 100 miles away.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Has he filed a claim against YOUR insurance yet?  He will.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Let your insurance deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#27]
too late for that lol

you should have left your insurance out and contacted his
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Use the insurance.  Do not insert yourself into his drama.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Insurance claim has been filed per my op.

I called the police but the trooper who responded said " Well hell that aint no damage, so i'm not gunna do a report because it's less than $500".

The estimate I got on Monday was about $2000.

ETA: I guess the officer had a hot date, or wanted to eat, or something.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck him, head to  the ER with your neck injury.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Did you take any pictures of accident?  Of his DL and insurance info?  Witness statement?

You're fucked.  He'll just say that you hit him.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
File against his insurance at least that way you know you will get paid for the repair.
View Quote
This for sure. Fuck him for driving like a tard anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuck that, burn him...
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did you take any pictures of accident?  Of his DL and insurance info?  Witness statement?

You're fucked.  He'll just say that you hit him.
View Quote
Yes, yes,and yes. No on witness statement.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Too late to "work it out" with him, let the insurance company handle it now. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#36]
You gave him a chance and...

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Been there done that. Screw that guy, take it to the insurance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:25:22 PM EDT
[#38]
screwed the pooch. I can understand trying to keep the man out of your life, but as soon as he got choosy with what damage he caused, you should have called the police.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I would NEVER not report some fucking one i dont fucking know hittting my car fucking never, prolly not even for a blow job
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#40]
This 7-step guide can help make the moments after an accident less stressful — and the claims process a whole lot smoother.
  1. Move to a safe area (if you can) ...
  2. Stop your vehicle and get out. ...
  3. Check on others involved. ...
  4. Call the police to the scene. ...
  5. Gather info. ...
  6. Document the scene. ...
  7. File your insurance claim.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Tell me again why you did not call the police?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#42]
You got into a wreak and didn't call the cops immediately.  That's what they are paid for.  How can you prove anything now?  Likely you will get what the tide brings in.  This will be a good learning experience. Insurance companies have specific instructions when this happens, call the cops is like #3 on the list.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I did call the police right away.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Insurance claim has been filed per my op.

I called the police but the trooper who responded said " Well hell that aint no damage, so i'm not gunna do a report because it's less than $500".

The estimate I got on Monday was about $2000.

ETA: I guess the officer had a hot date, or wanted to eat, or something.
View Quote
I had this shit happen to my wife in Tallahassee. She was hit in rear at redlight. Cops came and said "no damage enough to do Police report. Estimate at body shop- $1300. Seems the frame bumper crush mounts and the foam under the bumper had to be replaced. Also, there was a crack in the paint on the bumper.

I called the Tallahassee PD and raised hell. A lieutenant called me back and apologized, and I got the report in the mail the next day! My insurance had to pay because the dumbass cop did not even get the tag # of the van that hit her.....

I support the police, but you guys are NOT collision damage estimators!!!!  Do your job and make a report when asked!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Never never never never never NEVER be "nice" to some random asshole who just hit you.

I promise you you'll always get fucked.

The shithead is lying his ass off now to his insurance company.

Get witnesses, get photographs of the scene, the driver, the damage, the driver's license, witnesses and record any statements the person is willing to make ... and then call the police, your insurance and his insurance company.

My police departments will not respond to accidents below XXX number of dollars worth of damage ... how do I they know what the damage is?
View Quote
Exactly why they SHOULD respond!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Nope.  Insurance.

Starts as a problem...continues as a problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got in an auto accident over the weekend. I was on an Interstate entering a construction zone. I was in the right lane and the left lane was closing. Another vehicle tried to pass me at the bottleneck and as soon as i saw him he ran out of road and hit me.

He was also trying to pick and choose what damage his vehicle did.
He said "Look this is all it did." while pointing to the fender.
I pointed to my rim and said "what about that".
He said " Oh I didn't do that"

The other driver admits fault but wants to keep it off insurance.  We exchanged insurance info anyway. He also eventually admitted to damaging the rim but was adamant about not reporting this to insurance. I have an out of state plate and am about 150 miles from home. I let him know that I have to be back home Tuesday morning, but i'll get an estimate first thing on Monday and let him know. I got the estimate Monday morning, texted him, and ....crickets. Since i did not hear back from him, I filed a claim Monday night. Now that my insurance co. has known about this for a full business day, i'm sure they have tried to reach out to him and/or his insurance co. I got a voicemail from the other driver a few minutes ago, and now he wants me to call him to work it out.

What says the hive?
View Quote

ALWAYS CALL THE POLICE!

People will say one thing to your face and then not follow through I am a claims adjuster and if the person doesn't admit it his insurance can deny it depending on his story, if the police were involved and they received a citation that shows they were at fault then you'd have a better chance.

It amazes me how people with all the assholes on this planet can't comprehend CALL THE POLICE.

Also some insurance companies/states you have to FILE A POLICE REPORT for uninsured motorist to apply, meaning it will go under your collision coverage even if your insurance company believes you and will count on your insurance where as if it goes under uninsured motorist you probably would get a lower deductible and it wouldn't count against your insurance.

I see this every day (insurance adjuster/appraiser here).
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Fuck that, burn him...
View Quote
FPNI

Call his insurance before he CANCELS the policy.

You're being played.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top