Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 11:30:41 AM EDT
I will be purchasing  multiple firearms though an estate auction.  A local pawn shop will serve as the FFL for the transfer of all firearms.  He will be charging a $30 transfer fee for each firearms.  My question is this, isn't there room on the form for multiple firearms?  Can I make the case for him to only charge me on $30 fee vs a $30 fee for each firearm that I purchase?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You can ask before hand and let him know that you will have X amount to transfer.

He might give a discount or start licking his chops at the $$ coming in.

Best to find a different, cheaper FFL
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Im just here to gloat about my ffl doing free transfers for anybody.
Sucks to be you though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe you can do up to 3 items on one transfer.  I don't know if it can be 3 of the same type or if it has to be 3 different items, i.e. one pistol, one rifle, one other.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought 6 lowers on one 4473 (4 serial numbers on the document itself and then two more
stapled onto it).  My FFL only charges me for the one transfer but I always bring him a bottle
Canadian Whisky to sweeten the deal.

Your guy may not be willing to do that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Some dealers do a flat fee per firearm, some charge $25 or $30 for the first and $5 for each additional, some charge a flat fee per 4473.
(Not sure, but I thought I heard somewhere that a dealer can append a sheet with additional serial numbers to a 4473, effectively allowing an unlimited number of firearms in a single 4473 transfer)

Ask your dealer, and ask around if he won't work with you on multiple transfers.
I bought several stripped lowers at once a few years back, I called a few guys before I found someone that would do $30 +$5/additional.  Most want to do $25 or $30/ea or whatever they charge.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
My FFL, it's $20 for the transfer.  Doesn't matter if it's one or multiple...to an extent.  

2 or 3, no issue.  5 he would do...but I would kick a few extra bucks his way.  He said if I wanted to bring in 50 AR lowers, there would have to be a discussion and agreement.  

So basically, he treats me right and I treat him right.  There's mutual relationship building there. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a cash cow for the auction and the FFL. They will charge you $30 per because they can and they like to make money. Just like charging a buyers premium.

A local auction to me has their own FFL and still charges $25 per firearm plus 10% buyers premium. Of course they charge the consignor 30~40% on their end. It's no wonder he has a $200,000 motor home he brings around sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You'd like for him to charge you one fee for as many as you can fit on the form. Maybe scribble some on the back, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a guy that does up to 4 for $25.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The auction company is using this guy, so I have no choice.  I'm getting hellava deals on these rifles, so it will be worth it even if I get charged for each  firearm.  But I'll be pissed if he does it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Pfft yeah I got a 3 pack of lowers a few years ago thinking it would be one transfer but nope, $25 each! Spent almost as much on the stupid transfer as I did the parts.

Eta I hear how he's charging 35.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
It's really up to the FFL.  I have an FFL that charges $10 per gun, but if I were doing more than 3 I know of another FFL that charges $35 regardless of the number.

In your situation it doesn't look like you have much choice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
As has been said, you can do an unlimited number of firearms per 4473 by attaching extra sheets. It all goes under one background check. If two or more of the firearms are handguns, the FFL will also have to file a multiple handgun sale report.

But, if the FFL wants to charge per firearm, that's their business, and you can't force them to do anything else, though you can certainly ask. And since the auction house only wants to use that FFL (they probably have a kickback agreement, btw), you can't even take your business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#15]
A single transfer can entail more firearms than fit on the form, the FFL just needs to add additional pages listing them.  For most FFL's the transfer fee is per firearm not per form, though they may discount for multiple firearms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#16]
So you purchase the firearms from someone else and you want the dealer to do all the paperwork for the same fee as if he's doing one transfer? He has to log in and log out each one and has liability on each one almost forever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Pay the stated fee or find another dealer

Edit... I understand that you can only use this one guy.

I've only had one guy try to argue his case with a claim like yours. He ordered multiple long guns over a period of several weeks, and waited til they were all in before coming over. He clogged up the safe for weeks unnecessarily and then wanted all his guns for the cost of a single transfer.
He didn't get it his way
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you purchase the firearms from someone else and you want the dealer to do all the paperwork for the same fee as if he's doing one transfer? He has to log in and log out each one and has liability on each one almost forever.
View Quote

BUT BUT BUT a transfer is just five minutes of paperwork!
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#19]
You can transfer up to four individual firearms per form 4473.

My FFL guy charges for each individual firearm, but he only charges $10 per item.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
What kind of liability does the transfer ffl have long term?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will be purchasing  multiple firearms though an estate auction.  A local pawn shop will serve as the FFL for the transfer of all firearms.  He will be charging a $30 transfer fee for each firearms.  My question is this, isn't there room on the form for multiple firearms?  Can I make the case for him to only charge me on $30 fee vs a $30 fee for each firearm that I purchase?
View Quote
My FFL will do 4 guns on one 4473 for $20.

Sounds like you are getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is a cash cow for the auction and the FFL. They will charge you $30 per because they can and they like to make money. Just like charging a buyers premium.

A local auction to me has their own FFL and still charges $25 per firearm plus 10% buyers premium. Of course they charge the consignor 30~40% on their end. It's no wonder he has a $200,000 motor home he brings around sometimes.
View Quote
If it's in state you shouldn't need a FFL right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can transfer up to four individual firearms per form 4473.

My FFL guy charges for each individual firearm, but he only charges $10 per item.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16397/4473_SectionD-286276.JPG
View Quote
No.

Maximum of four firearms are listed on page 3. The instructions on how to list any additional firearms is page 6, Section D, boxes 24-28, second paragraph on "a separate sheet of paper attached to the 4473" (since I can't cut n' paste the PDF).
virtually unlimited number of handguns, long guns, and "others" can be on the same form in any combination.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#24]
2 FFLS I deal with:  First charges $25 for first xfer + 5 each addl.  Second charges $40 for first and free each addl.  (although if you had 30 I'm sure there would be some fee)..
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
If the auction company set it up, complain to them, not the FFL.  

Tell them you want to bid on multiple guns, but aren't willing to pay multiple fees.  

A good business person would talk to the FFL and tell them the fees are messing up their revenue streams.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Private sale between you and the estate. You don't need an FFL.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine does 25 bucks for as many as you want to transfer in at that time. I think I did 5 lowers at once which is the most.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Records retention requirement is minimum 20 years for the 4473 and bound book.  Imagine being asked now for the bill of sale for a car you sold 19 years ago, who you sold it to, and their information.  Oh, and you have 24 hours or less to produce the information, or face stiff penalties.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If it's in state you shouldn't need a FFL right?
View Quote
Doesn't matter if it's in-state. The auction house is in the firearms business, so the auction house is required to have an FFL. The seller has consigned the item to the auction house, and consignment sales require a 4473 to complete the transaction.

Even if the item didn't sell and the auction house was returning it to the consignor, they'd have to do a 4473 and NICS on the owner, per federal regulations. Consignment for sale and redeeming from pawn both require the check, unlike sending a gun to an FFL for work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pay the stated fee or find another dealer

Edit... I understand that you can only use this one guy.

I've only had one guy try to argue his case with a claim like yours. He ordered multiple long guns over a period of several weeks, and waited til they were all in before coming over. He clogged up the safe for weeks unnecessarily and then wanted all his guns for the cost of a single transfer.
He didn't get it his way
View Quote
I used to help out a friend that was an FFL. He used to charge per form until he had some jackass pull this shit. Dude had his transfers site there for months until he got 4 firearms in. Caused my friend to change his policy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top