Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2017 11:22:13 AM EDT
Most days at about 2:30 I suddenly get tired, seriously tired. All my friends my age are experiencing similar. If I want to sit down and nod off for about 30 minutes it works out fine. But if I'm doing something where I need to keep going, it can be difficult. If I'm sitting down reading it is almost impossible to stay awake.

Has anybody found a solution?

Back in the day it would be gramps taking his afternoon nap. I don't want that to be me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
No caffeine?

I dunno, maybe try some crystal meth.  I hear that perks you up pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#2]
A big or unhealthy lunch will do that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
A little bump will get you through the day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Ritalin
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Your blood sugar is probably dropping.

Eat a peanut butter and jelly sammy, some nuts and a glass of milk will probably help.

Or you can do what Scotchy says and snort some meth.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
There are several thimgs you can try.

Drink a large glass of water before 230 for a few days.

Next try going for a fast walk before for a couple days

Then try a 15 minute power nap.

Apples have sugar in them, try that next.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly. A tiny bit of something carb related helps me. A cracker packet and some water, or some such. carbs are energy. And energy is what you seek. 

Edit: also the apple/ something with natural sugars as stated above help volumes. Maybe shove a half sandwich of PB&J into your lunch and eat it around 1:45. Instant energy. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Eat a modest breakfast, have an in-between snack of complex carbs and fruit, a modest lunch, and an after-lunch snack as well (healthy).

Parole judge studies showed that you were 85% more likely to get paroled after the judge's breakfast, and your chances rapidly declined corresponding with the judges' blood sugar levels.

After lunch, rates went back up, then dropped again until COB.

Also, you need to achieve hydration and maintain it, which will manifest in clear urine.

It takes about 2 weeks to hydrate into the intracellular fluids in your body.

It's easy to force-hydrate the extracellular fluids (in between all your cells), but much more tedious to hydrate the cells themselves.

When you have cellular-level hydration, your body performs amazingly well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Take part of your lunch break and run a mile or two.  After your body gets used to activity, you'll have more energy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Take some barley green powder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same problems and it turned out I was diabetic. You may want to see your family doctor and have an A1C test. I was not a typical candidate for diabetes as I was  in good shape and exercised enough to pass my PT test. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Less carbs, more protein.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Provigil
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you lift?

I bet you don't lift.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Are you addicted to carbs?  Cause that's what happens when you are addicted to carbs and eat a starchy lunch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I found taking naps in the afternoon caused more problems than it solved.

If I missed a nap, I would be extremely tired for the rest of the day.

When I stopped regularly napping all together, I instantly noticed the difference.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#18]
This usually follows a significant change in your diet. It is easy to say that a big lunch can cause this, and that's true in some regards, but it's mostly true if you don't normally eat a big lunch. If you eat the same thing every day (I tend to) this won't happen, or not to any significant degree.

In any case, the best cure I ever found for an afternoon crash is to simply walk for a few minutes. It's not really exercise for me since I run quite a bit, but a 10 minute walk will generally beat the crash.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
In before CPAP (APAP..)  ??
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:34:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Skip lunch or make it a lot less carbs
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are calorie conscious, try one of those 5 hr energy drinks.  They work for me.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take part of your lunch break and run a mile or two.  After your body gets used to activity, you'll have more energy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#23]
When I used to work in an office, I used to get the hard crash at 2pm everyday. My grandpa told me it's because I'm Italian

Now I work from home and it's not nearly as bad, but I can always take a caffeine nap if needed
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, because a healthy body has less energy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most days at about 2:30 I suddenly get tired, seriously tired. All my friends my age are experiencing similar. If I want to sit down and nod off for about 30 minutes it works out fine. But if I'm doing something where I need to keep going, it can be difficult. If I'm sitting down reading it is almost impossible to stay awake.

Has anybody found a solution?

Back in the day it would be gramps taking his afternoon nap. I don't want that to be me.
View Quote

Try relaxing your mind at lunch time. Let it recover from a morning of work. 15 minutes.

Or just take the nap at 2:30 pm and give Grandpa credit for knowing what's best. Siestas are here for a reason, you know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I understand death clears that shit right up, but some may consider that extreme. 

Try sleeping more/longer at night. Go to bed earlier. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Stop eating carbs and sugar.  Steady energy all day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Do you lift?

I bet you don't lift.
View Quote
I do. But not as much as I should. I just finished lifting. Squats today.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Hit a strip joint for lunch. That'll keep you awake for a while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Anytime I've forgotten my coffee I just drink a ton of water. It helps.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Eat a modest breakfast, have an in-between snack of complex carbs and fruit, a modest lunch, and an after-lunch snack as well (healthy).

Parole judge studies showed that you were 85% more likely to get paroled after the judge's breakfast, and your chances rapidly declined corresponding with the judges' blood sugar levels.

Also, you need to achieve hydration and maintain it, which will manifest in clear urine.

It's easy to force-hydrate the extracellular fluids (in between all your cells), but much more tedious to hydrate the cells themselves.

View Quote
No.  Hell no.

Complex carbs and fruit for snack?  Why not just shoot himself?

Your hydration shit is bogus as well.  It does not take 2 weeks to hydrate.

OP suggest you eat plenty of protein for breakfast and lunch.  Light carbs for both.  Walk if you are sleepy.  Begin regular exercise program with aerobic (30-45 min/day x 5+ times per week) plus weights several times per week.  You need a fasting glucose and insulin resistance 2-hr test.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Slide a Habanero into your rectum.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I told my doc I crash right after work. He recommended I do some cardio. I'm ok with a quick nap. . It's not carbs for me unless 10 is too much.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no idea what your overall diet/exercise strategy is, but if you control the amount of carbs you consume at lunch, that particular problem will go away.

If your lunch typically involves eating pizza, rice/pasta, a sub sandwich + chips, or a burger + fries and washing it all down with high fructose corn syrup, you're going to have that exact problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Buy a Vitamin Water with B12.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Less carbs, more protein.
View Quote
This.  For me I was so bad I almost couldn't drive.  Too many carbs in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's your problem.  Every lifter knows that Monday is always Bench Day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.  Every lifter knows everyday is leg day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No.  Hell no.

OP suggest you eat plenty of protein for breakfast and lunch.  Light carbs for both.  Walk if you are sleepy.  Begin regular exercise program with aerobic (30-45 min/day x 5+ times per week) plus weights several times per week.  You need a fasting glucose and insulin resistance 2-hr test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Hell no.

No way man, the ancient flying aliens in the pyramids proved it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Um everyday is leg day
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I had the same problem.  Cut way back on the carbs at lunch, instead of sandwich and fries/chips make yourself a salad with veggies, some meat, and shredded cheese, no croutons or heavy pasta salads, and definitely no soda.  Also I get up and walk - or at least stretch - every half hour.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Everybody who said carbs is the problem, is probably right. I guess I just can't handle that stuff anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#43]
You skipping breakfast and having a big lunch?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#45]
My solution was eating a smaller lunch and having small snacks throughout the afternoon.

A handful of almonds or an apple are usually my go to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess that depends on how you look at it. Is a large Slurpee from 7-11 considered a big  lunch?  I'll bet it is.

Though I often get clobbered even if I have oatmeal for breakfast, then kind of a normal lunch. Protein is probably the answer.

Is vodka a vegetable? Potatoes right? Yep, definitely a vegetable.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I guess that depends on how you look at it. Is a large Slurpee from 7-11 considered a big  lunch?  I'll bet it is.

Though I often get clobbered even if I have oatmeal for breakfast, then kind of a normal lunch. Protein is probably the answer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude. You eat like a fat person.  That's your problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#48]
5 hour energy
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#49]
https://mtnops.com/product/yeti/

This is what you seek!

Take in the AM and good all day
It does have caffeine but only as much as a soda, also important to stay hydrated as it has a small amount of creatine as well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#50]
A light lunch and a little aerobic activity afterward works for me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top