BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a photo of a first degree murder defendant holding my 1 year old during a break in her trial.  
View Quote
That just sounds like bad parenting
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I know nothing about this particular situation beyond the news, but I'm shocked judges don't end up killed more often.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Local news says both suspects were felons, and the one in custody is a black man. For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Local news says both suspects were felons, and the one in custody is a black man. For what it's worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Saw this as well.

and

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio (AP) — The Latest on the shooting of a judge outside an Ohio courthouse (all times local):

1:15 p.m.

An Ohio sheriff says a judge fired back at a man who shot him outside a courthouse, killing him.

Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdalla (ab-DAL’-uh) says courthouse video shows Judge Joseph Bruzzese (bruh-ZEEZ’) Jr. firing about five shots at the gunman, who also fired about five shots. Link
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the earlier rumors about the shooter were accurate.

Father of convicted player shoots judge
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
POs here are usually social worker types, never heard of a police officer going into it. Interesting.
View Quote
I had a friend in Cali that was a PO in Ventura County, CA. He was sworn LEO.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We're taking a very dim view of the whole thing here.  I've been saying for years that this was the way to get a Judge if you really wanted one.  Looks like this Judge had situational awareness and a buddy in tow.  

No amount of shooting at Judges will get your kid out of prison.  Quite the contrary.  
View Quote
You are correct. We are all well aware that, in this country, you are entitled to exactly as much justice as you can afford at $2-300/hr. Gunfire is no substitute for pay-to-play.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know nothing about Ohio, but in NY probation officers get marginal, at best, training, like sometimes a day at the range. That PO brought it though, good on him/her.
View Quote
Ours aren't even armed. State law at one point required that they be weapon trained, so they supposedly bought them guns, trained them as per state law, then sold the guns and tried to get the state law changed to make firearms training optional for POs
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
he shot at a judge because his kid did ten months in juvie on a rape charge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the earlier rumors about the shooter were accurate.

Father of convicted player shoots judge
he shot at a judge because his kid did ten months in juvie on a rape charge?
Per the article linked above, the judge was assigned to a wrongful death case filed by the shooter.  The rape case filed against the shooter's son was handled in juvenile court by a visiting judge from Cincinnati.

The judge that was shot today appears to be a general division common pleas judge, not a juvenile court judge.  Was he a juvenile judge previously?  I have no idea.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#13]
From the first link, "A Facebook page in Nathaniel Richmond’s name attributed to him by CBS Pittsburgh says as its intro “Mamir abdull muhumad” and indicates he was in a “civil union” and from Chicago, Illinois."

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/nathaniel-richmond-steubenville-rape-malik-ohio-judge-shot-joseph-bruzzese/

https://www.facebook.com/nathaniel.richmond
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]
For a small city Steubenville sure has a lot of shootings. Still alert for them there cannibals though
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know nothing about Ohio, but in NY probation officers get marginal, at best, training, like sometimes a day at the range. That PO brought it though, good on him/her.
View Quote
Yeah we get two weeks of training and firearms retention etc.  

But our state court and our criminal code allows us to carry on duty but they allow the judges to ignore it and decide if we carry or not in their circuit.  

Its frustrating.  EVERY person we deal with is a convicted criminal usually felon but we are largely unarmed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
POs here are usually social worker types, never heard of a police officer going into it. Interesting.
View Quote
I have two female former social workers, a retired sheriffs investigations captain and a former DOC Parole Officer and me,  a former DOC fugitive task force officer working in my office.  

Its a mixed bag in our state.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have a photo of a first degree murder defendant holding my 1 year old during a break in her trial.  
View Quote
1 years old is pretty early to be on trial...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You know it's odd how often angry people blame their own lawyer, not the other lawyer or judge. When i was clerking in law school a former public defender said he was pretty scared of his former clients and thought they were often more mad at him than anyone else ie "you didn't get me off the hook." I had a hearing a few months ago where a guy I was questioning went batshit, swore and left the building. You could hear him in the parking lot screaming about how much he hated his lawyer, not me or the judge.
View Quote
Just gotta manage client expectations properly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor shot or quick reactions?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkMYoOLAhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tkMYoOLAhk
Because he dodges bullets Avi.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Edit.

That dude was an idiot.

But I am surprised judges don't end up dead on a regular basis, especially family court judges.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The news account's witness's statement is very Steubenville:

"My alarm went off at 8 a.m., and I snoozed it, and a minute or two later, I heard approximately 7 or 8 gunshots, and I went to look out the window and I seen somebody in a white shirt, probably a detective, kneeling down firing at something, and that’s when I knew something happened down here," witness Cody Allison said.
View Quote
And that, my friends, is when I knew something happened down here.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#23]
That's the right kind of activist judge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's a "side" thing, in my experience.  Most folks I deal with see the police, the judges, and the D.A.s as being the other side, and their own lawyer(s) as being on their side.  The other side is always out to get you, so whatever, but if your side fails you it smacks of betrayal.
View Quote
I'm just shocked their isn't more kinetic targeting of prosecutors, judges and certain police personnel. I can think of some federal prosecutors that have been killed under mysterious circumstances, but far fewer judges or cops.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#25]
The judge was presiding over a civil wrongful death case the shooter filed.

"Court records indicate that in April of 2017, Richmond filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the Jefferson Metropolitan Housing Authority on behalf of the estate of Mae Etta Richmond.

Attorneys from a Cleveland firm were representing him.

Also listed as plaintiffs in the case are Latasha Birden, Tony Dillard and two minors on behalf of the estate for Te'On Dillard. "

http://wtov9.com/news/local/judge-was-presiding-over-shooters-civil-litigation-against-housing-authority
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm just shocked their isn't more kinetic targeting of prosecutors, judges and certain police personnel. I can think of some federal prosecutors that have been killed under mysterious circumstances, but far fewer judges or cops.
View Quote
I am too. On the one hand, I'm glad there is enough respect for the courts and law & order and the social contract that we aren't seeing the killing of judges and politicians and bureaucrats. On the other, I wonder how many of the rulings, regulations, and laws that are crushing us would be out there if every one of them people in statehouses and courthouses had to live in constant fear that they would pay for those decisions with their lives.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Gotta love people of that caliber......that when they shoot a judge, it takes a shitload of digging to figure out which court case the shooter was involved in that also involved that particular judge!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm always shocked to hear of DAs that wont allow their ADAs to get permits to carry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've been lucky. Never had a problem with a criminal client.

i represented a murderer (well
"manslaughterer") on appeal. I drove out to the prison and met with him. Very pleasant, he had an odd sing songey voice. Appeal went okay, forgot about it.

years later I stop at the  grocery store late at night and hear "Hi there!" In that same odd voice and almost screamed. I spun around and there he was. He was pretty cool, staying out of trouble and getting on with life, but God damn I almost shit myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a "side" thing, in my experience.  Most folks I deal with see the police, the judges, and the D.A.s as being the other side, and their own lawyer(s) as being on their side.  The other side is always out to get you, so whatever, but if your side fails you it smacks of betrayal.
I've been lucky. Never had a problem with a criminal client.

i represented a murderer (well
"manslaughterer") on appeal. I drove out to the prison and met with him. Very pleasant, he had an odd sing songey voice. Appeal went okay, forgot about it.

years later I stop at the  grocery store late at night and hear "Hi there!" In that same odd voice and almost screamed. I spun around and there he was. He was pretty cool, staying out of trouble and getting on with life, but God damn I almost shit myself.
A child-like sing-songy voice is an indication of molestation in childhood. It's the mind holding onto something from before the event.

Kharn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top